Lizzie Blog - 2000 points finished!

This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

nurgleonbass
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Lizzie Blog - 2000 points finished!

Postby nurgleonbass » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:18 pm

My first attempt at a blog! I thought it might help to motivate me to get my new lizardman army done.

I'm not really sure where this army is going to go but I do hope for the following:

1) Two playable lists: One with a Slann; the other heavy with Cold One Cavalry.
2) Going for a jungly/ruined temple theme on the bases (what else!)
3) Hoping for pretty brightly coloured skinks but a more natural and brutal look to the Saurus.

First up the skinks. I've gone for the usual hawk turquoise colour but kept to a natural brown for the shields to tie in with the Saurus to come. I'm giving them red crests and back scales to add a bit of colour.

I base coated the skinks with my recently acquired airbrush. This was an adventure in itself! Managed to put three thin coats on in 2 hours. Would have taken much longer using a brush but I did use half a pot of hawk turquoise which is more than the tried and tested brush method. The saved time more than makes up for it.

So, below, a test model and the 39 others based and base coated :)

Comments welcome :8)

Last edited by nurgleonbass on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Proud to be a member of the Bristol Big 'Uns

Shaggoth

Postby Shaggoth » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:26 pm

Wow that's one amazing Skink!

Rolls Dice

Postby Rolls Dice » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:02 am

Double Wow! Very impressive. I was about to write that I couldn't think of one thing to change and in terms of painting C&C I can't - it's superb. Fluffwise shouldn't the sword teeth be stone?

When I did my Lizzies the skinks were rushed for a game next day and so look pretty poor next to my other figures. You just inspired me to revisit them for a bit of highlighting and extra colour.

nurgleonbass

Re: Lizzie Blog

Postby nurgleonbass » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:55 pm

It's been a long time coming but finally had a chance to do some more on this army.

Only a small update but hopefully more to come soon.

I have finished a whopping 4 skinks now :lol:

The one on the plinth looks a bit odd at this angle but thankfully looks better from a tabletop angle.
Last edited by nurgleonbass on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Bloodytooth

Postby Bloodytooth » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:00 pm

Awesome work. I don't know if it's just me, but they don't look like the latest skinks. It's probably me though. I like the poses. I did something very similar to this with some Crypt Ghouls, and it was a ***** to rank them up. You do plan on using these as Skirmishers right, because if not...you're in for an unfortunate experience.

grahknar

Postby grahknar » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:24 pm

I have finished a whopping 4 skinks now :lol:

Never mind you about on par with me and my O&G hoard. it seems we both suffer from trying to paint each model to the best of our abilities. On the plus side though, they are really nice looking skinks.

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:57 pm

Bloodytooth wrote: You do plan on using these as Skirmishers right, because if not...you're in for an unfortunate experience.

Thanks for comments.

Yes, definetly skirmishers. Perhaps I am wrong but I really can't see much use for ranked up skinks, with or without krox.
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Cut the Mullet

Postby Cut the Mullet » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:35 pm

skinks look great. good poses.

Demon Prince

Postby Demon Prince » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:26 pm

I also love the dynamic poses, but being really picky (as I am) I think to really add some depth to them maybe make the weapon handles something different from black. Really nice though.

Cheers,
Will
Cheltenham Warchiefs

THE PLEDGE
Bought - 135
Painted - 0...

One step at a time

Bloodytooth

Postby Bloodytooth » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:51 pm

nurgleonbass wrote:
Bloodytooth wrote: You do plan on using these as Skirmishers right, because if not...you're in for an unfortunate experience.

Thanks for comments.

Yes, definetly skirmishers. Perhaps I am wrong but I really can't see much use for ranked up skinks, with or without krox.

Skinks still have M6. If you don't have 140pts, just around 100, I think a unit of 2 10 basic Skinks is worth it instead of 1 unit of 10 skirmishers, they fill a similar role to fast cavalry. They don't do as well as fast cavalry, but then again, Lizardmen don't have any fc.

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Pick away as I want these to be worth the time I'm putting into them!
Great minds must think alike as the next couple I am working on have brown weapons (apart from the metal bits!). I think the black does look a bit artificial so hopefully brown will breathe some life into them.

As for the ranked skinks I can see them being useful as cheap minimum core, maybe just to grab table quarters. I just don't feel very comfortable using them in that way. I've always seen skinks as the little guys sneaking through the undergrowth to harass the enemy with missile weapons.
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Demon Prince

Postby Demon Prince » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:09 pm

nurgleonbass wrote:I am working on have brown weapons

Woo. :lol:

Cheers,
Will
Cheltenham Warchiefs

THE PLEDGE
Bought - 135
Painted - 0...

One step at a time

boosterburn

Postby boosterburn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:56 pm

Those are some amazingly detailed cannon fodder. What type of airbrush are you using? Is that lichen on the bases?

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:14 pm

Cheers, I think :wink:

I don't know much about airbrushes so can't tell you much about it. I know it is a relatively cheap one and it gravity fed, but that's about it. As for the stuff on the bases the technical name is 'clumping'. It's not the usual reindeer moss lichen commonly available as I don't rate that stuff.
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:44 pm

First unit of 10 skinks finished. I have changed the weapon handles to brown and I think they look much better (not that is shows in the pictures!)

Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Vidpui

Postby Vidpui » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Sweet looking skinks, great bases, and a nice brown :D

Demon Prince

Postby Demon Prince » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:42 pm

What did I say :8) Brown weapons FTW!
Cheltenham Warchiefs

THE PLEDGE
Bought - 135
Painted - 0...

One step at a time

Cut the Mullet

Postby Cut the Mullet » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:03 pm

great bases. Yellow background makes me cry.

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:44 am

I quite liked the yellow background :wink:. Back to blue it is then.

Feeling a bit skinked out at the moment so I have had a go at a Saurus Cavalry model. I wanted a darker more brutal looking effect. A bit of tidying needed and some matt varnish to dull the model down is in order.

I've also used a Hirst Arts dungeon floor tile as the base, the idea being the Saurus models will be guardians of the temple (the skinks are dashing around in the jungle ruins so have ruins/jungle floor theme). I also acquired some Silflor tufts this week and I have popped one on the base. It is not very visible in the picture but it looks much better than the usual flock or long grass I've used in the past.

Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Caerdrath

Postby Caerdrath » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:11 pm

Hee there,

Awsome paintjob on the Cold One! I love the way you've painted his snout/nose.

Caer

Vidpui

Postby Vidpui » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:00 pm

the cold one is awesome! and so is the base < got a thing for cool looking bases today...> do some more, do some more!!! :lol: your skinks are great too...

Vidpui

rotgut

Postby rotgut » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:41 pm

The saurus cav is awesome. The skinks aren't too bad either :D

Neil Peckett

Postby Neil Peckett » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:13 pm

I do like the mounted Saurus, very nice. But...

The Cold One's nose. Is that a mould line right along the crest of it? It's a bit of a shame as it's getting in the way of a really lovely model. Hope it's something to do with the angle?

Cheers,

Trim
AnnieAnnie wrote:Every time Neil Peckett cheats, he gains a muscle

Ben Curry wrote:He used to be such a nice guy, now he's a horrible cheater!

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone. Hmmmmm I see what you mean, Trim. I've had a good look at the miniature and it is a bit of a hybrid mould line/sharp edge. Either way a quick attack from a file and a few washes on the nose have sorted it out :D

I wasn't confident I could replicate the colours later if I painted another type of model, so I've pressed on with another Saurus Cavalry - the musician this time. Same colour scheme but both models have had some matt varnish and few extra details added. Sadly a lot of the very subtle colours are not coming through in the pics but I'm pretty pleased so far. Time for more skinks!

The more observant might notice some brass etch fern on the muscian's base. I usually find this stuff looks pants but for a jungle theme base it does the job nicely.
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

dafruk

Postby dafruk » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:21 pm

Those mounted guys look great. What are the colours and process you've used for those mounts as I particularly love them?

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Thanks.

The Cold-ones are sprayed white. The scales are base coated with Scorched Brown and washed with Windsor and Newton Peat brown ink. The fleshy bits are base coated with Kommando Khaki and washed with Gryphon Sepia. That's the easy bit.

The brown scales are then very carefully drybrushed with scorched brown and increasing amounts of skull white paying particulary attention to the raised areas and edges. The fleshy areas are highlighted with Kommando Khaki with increasing amounts of skull white. While doing this I have tried to build plenty of layers on the raised areas where the light would fall and on the snout.

A few subtle extra touches are washes of Mechrite red, Camo Green and Scorched brown in the recessed areas to make shadow tones (Camo green is allowed to leak onto the flesh to give a greeny tinge) and the scorched brown in drawn along the claws to make the lining. Finally, I've picked out a small number of scales with the Foundation Orange paint (can't remember it's name!) and highlighted this with a dab of Sunburst Yellow.
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

dafruk

Postby dafruk » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:53 pm

It appears I need to invest in some Kommando Khaki!

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:47 am

Yes, it's a nice natural looking colour. Just right for the underbelly of large stupid reptiles :lol:

Just a quick update. I'm working on the second unit of skinks. This time with blow pipes and yes, they are brown [-X . One of the bases has a plinth with a piece of foliage from the Catachan set. I'm not 100% sold on this so comments welcome.

Check out my blog

My feedback thread

rotgut

Postby rotgut » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:28 am

The relief colours on the shield really work with the colours on the models.

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:31 pm

Thanks, Rotgut. I guess you mean on the Saurus shields? I'm trying to keep the colours on the Saurus natural and earthy. I was tempted by green shields but that dosen't work as well with the browns as the red. The orange and yellow highlights are hopefully enough to add interest without looking garish.
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”