Which books should I get?

The place to discuss the new Fantasy game of endless war

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Dwarf Giant
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Which books should I get?

Postby Dwarf Giant » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:00 pm

As I contemplate whether to invest in AoS, I'm wondering what books I should buy.

I don't just want the free rules, I would like a book with some background etc. Anyway, I'm thinking I will need the rulebook (does this inclyde any rules for different factions etc?), The Generals handbook (I want to play games with points & I understand this book is the one to get - what else does it have? )

Thirdly, which books should I get if I want access to every army and their background? I had a look on the GW website and there are several battle tomes/compendiums/realm gate war books etc (over 20!) - are there any that compile all, or at least a few, of the lists?

Thanks
Tris

Just suck it up and keep on punching.

Market feedback link: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=127286

SquirrelMaster

Re: Which books should I get?

Postby SquirrelMaster » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:47 am

The General's Handbook has a copy of the main rules (all 4 pages of them!), additional rules for multiplayer, various additional scenarios, some fairly extensive rules for "narrative" campaigns, rules for "matched" play — which includes points for all the warscrolls, but also some additional rules about army composition, summoning, etc. It includes a set of scenarios designed for matched play, and rules for "battle traits", "command traits" and "artifacts", which add a bonus if your army is taken entirely from one faction (Order, Chaos, Destruction, Death), and allow you to customise your characters a little bit. There's also a little bit of back-story in there.

So far, it's the only book I've bothered with, so I can't really comment on the others.
Last edited by SquirrelMaster on Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. S. Lewis wrote:When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Dwarf Giant

Postby Dwarf Giant » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks, that's good to know. Also, do the Grand Alliance books (Order, Destruction, Death, Chaos) contain all the force Info? For instance would I need to buy the Blood bound, Everchosen, Dreadhold etc battle tomes or is that all in the Grand Alliance Book?

Or, can I get all the info from the Grand Alliance books for free (PDF's from GW?)
Tris

Just suck it up and keep on punching.

Market feedback link: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=127286

SquirrelMaster

Postby SquirrelMaster » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:14 pm

There are free pdf rules for every model available on the GW website. If it's not in the 16 warscroll compendiums, try looking at the actual model's page within the site - you'll find the rules there.

Some of the books contain optional additional rules for formations, allegiances, spell lores etc. You don't have to use them, but they may give you a slight advantage if you do so.

I'm not 100% sure, but it's my understanding that the Grand Alliance books are basically just the free pdfs in book form, with some additional background fluff, and that it's the other books that contain additional rules.
C. S. Lewis wrote:When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

WoodenGoblin
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Postby WoodenGoblin » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:22 pm

I own the Generals Handbook, Destruction Book, Bonechewer Book, Ironjawz Book, Age of Sigmar big lore book, How to Paint Citadel Models, How to Paint Age of Sigmar, and How to Paint Ironjawz. I also have the year sub for White Dwarf

The painting books are mostly crap I'm afraid. :( They all show the same thing and none of them explain to me the real hard questions I had after a lot of YouTube viewing. Things like painting hard to reach places, how to build models in pieces, and how to care for your tools.

The Age of Sigmar book is only good if you want a very brief description of the different armies and mostly Sigmarine and Chaos stuff.

The Destruction book has a lot of good background for all the armies. I'd recommend your army book and the sub army books. They are great for flavor. A lot of stories are pretty repetitive across the books though and only have tiny nuggets here and there.

The year sub for White Dwarf is kinda crap if you're a Fantasy player. All the spreads and multi-pages so far have been 40k and while I believe they TRY to give a fair share to fantasy it's just not what the people want I don't think. 40k dominates the magazines.
Age of Sigmar Player and Hobbyist
Always looking for new people to play with.
Primarily Destruction Faction (WAAGH!)

Return to “Age of Sigmar”