Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

khsofsso
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Generals handbook escalation question

Postby khsofsso » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:37 am

Hi all.

Question for the collective.

In the Escalation mission (think that's the name of it. It's the one where set-up on the diagonal)

Is says you start with so many units then the reinforcments come on from the table edge.

Now my question is what happens to units that have special set-up rules (like stormcast being in heavens, khemri sand burrowers. Chameleon skinks hiding)

Do they deploy normal or get to use their abilites

SquirrelMaster
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Re: Generals handbook escalation question

Postby SquirrelMaster » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:49 pm

It's not 100% clear in the rules, so you might want to discuss with your opponent / tournament organiser ahead of time.

However, my feeling is: these rules generally start with the wording "instead of setting up [this unit] on the battlefield". So, as soon as you get the opportunity to deploy them "normally", you can instead set them aside and, from that point onwards, bring them on as part of your reserves.

So, if you have a unit of Tomb Scorpions, count them when determining how many units are in your army (and therefore, how many units you will deploy to begin with, and how many units you will bring on in turn 2). Then decide which "wave" you want them to be part of (initial deployment, turn 2, or everything else) — this uses up a deployment "slot", just like any other unit.

If you made them part of the first "wave", you can deploy them normally, or set them aside and bring them on in any movement phase (from turn 1 onward).

If you made them part of the second "wave", you can deploy them on turn 2 as per the scenario rules, or set them aside on turn 2, and bring them on in any movement phase from turn 2 onward, using their own rules. You can't bring them on in turn 1, because they haven't had a chance to set up normally yet, so you can't have set them aside using their own rules.

Likewise, if they are part of the third wave, you can bring them on in turn 3 using the scenario rules, or in any movement phase from turn 3 onward, using their own rules.

That's just how I'd play it, though.
C. S. Lewis wrote:When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Return to “Age of Sigmar”