Tabletop is dead, long live GW computer games??

The place to discuss the new Fantasy game of endless war

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

[Fiend]
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Tabletop is dead, long live GW computer games??

Postby [Fiend] » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:11 am

Pretty topical given the decline of this once great forum??

Thinking about the way GW has gone in recent years....

The Asscast disaster, spiralling rocketting prices, the farcical reboots of White Dwarf, the sodomisation of the classic Warhammer universe with AOS, etc etc. Not really very appealling compared to 10/20 years ago.

But.....on the other hand.....10/20 years ago, half-decent GW PC gaming was limited to Dawn Of War and some nostalgia for Dark Omen, IIRC??

And these days....sure there are loads of straight-to-bargain-bin tablet-centric garbage GW titles, but there seems to be a glut of actual quality titles, current and forthcoming, that are keeping the Warhammer and 40k universes alive:

Total Warhammer - looks great, seems good in any videos I've watched
http://store.steampowered.com/app/364360/
Mordheim - meant to be tough and frustrating but captures the style very well
http://store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
Battlefleet Gothic - really quite good and moreish (playing this a lot)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/363680/
Bloodbowl 2 - mixed reviews but again looks great.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/236690/
Vermintide - unusual choice and tough, but cool and well themed L4D clone
http://store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

Forthcoming:
Dawn Of War 3 - back to the old style with richer if cartoony GFX and goddamn Imperial Knights!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/285190/
Manowar Corsair - still early but favourable reports and looks promising.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/344240/
Space Hulk Deathwing - aka Space Hulk 4 Dead and looks awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kub5vOaT0V8
Inquisitor - complete Diablo3 clone and unimaginative but could be good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKhFASxHiqI

(there may be more)

IS THIS THE FUTURE??
~
"And I've never held a pewter model in my hands and thought, "If only this were more detailed.""
Now with 50% bonus laziness - I paint a few figures a year..
~

warhammerfinn

Re: Tabletop is dead, long live GW computer games??

Postby warhammerfinn » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:29 pm

If I were to speculate, I would say "yes". GW long ago ceased to be a "games workshop", and consistently put out shoddy products when it came to gaming. Their rules sets have gone downhill for quite a while, probably because of a misperception on their part about being a company that produces miniatures primarily and rules became an afterthought. There are plenty of tabletop miniatures companies out there that produce good miniatures that are targeted at specific niches, but that have good quality games that go with them. GW created the market space for them by setting adrift the portions of their customer base for whom the quality of the game was an important component of the overall product.

I am hopeful that they will put some effort into developing the upcoming edition of Blood Bowl. It has shown great resilience absent any significant company support, due to a decent rule set (produced by people not employed by GW). It is still very popular online with Fumbbl and the new video games, and this support can go hand in hand with support for the tabletop game-- if it is handled well. Hopefully, they will turn the corner and come up with something decent.

Gaz Taylor
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Postby Gaz Taylor » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:31 am

I disagree. I think both are doing ok.

For the tabletop, you either like what they are doing or you don't. I like what they are doing and I have been very impressed this year with what GW have been doing (especially with the stuff the media guys have been doing on Facebook and YouTube). I know some people don't like what they are doing but that doesn't mean that the tabletop is dead ;)

Computer Games, they seem to be doing very well and they have some great IPs to make games from. I'm hoping for more!

warhammerfinn wrote:I am hopeful that they will put some effort into developing the upcoming edition of Blood Bowl. It has shown great resilience absent any significant company support, due to a decent rule set (produced by people not employed by GW). It is still very popular online with Fumbbl and the new video games, and this support can go hand in hand with support for the tabletop game-- if it is handled well. Hopefully, they will turn the corner and come up with something decent.

I went to the Bugmans XXXXXX event earlier this year which was run at Warhammer World. I'll be honest, I was expecting it to be around 30 players as the price, format of the event, and the fact that was something to do with GW would have put people off. Myself and a lot of other players were completely surprised to find out it had sold out and there were nearly 100 players at the event! Also even though it wasn't a competitive event, it was loads of fun and we got to meet the guys behind the new game and see the new stuff. I enjoyed it so much I'm going to the next event in November!

So I have complete confidence in GW with Blood Bowl and the new models look fantastic

kong

Postby kong » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:19 pm

I disagree to.

I actually think the computer versions of games have a great deal of room for improvement and nothing beats playing in real life so to speak with other human beings (unless they are WAAC idiots).

I too attended the Bloodbowl event that Gaz did and am going to the next one too.

The events at Warhammer World are starting to cater for everyone. From Campaigns to competitive to team events to live streaming today!

Sure GW does some things I don't like but they are vastly outweighed by things I do like

And lets face it, the models coming out really do look fantastic
Market Feedback Link

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=97600

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:46 am

Most PC gamers of course prefer to play multiplayer games from the comfort of their home where they sit alone in front of their computer/TV, connected with their friends through the internet. It's not always the only option though.

Computer games can be played together around the same table with your friends too, setting up such a party doesn't really take any more work than setting up a game of miniature battles. Any table big enough for miniature gaming is big enough for a LAN party.

The costs of getting a gaming PC/laptop is very much the same as collecting a big miniature army & terrain as well.

But these are different hobbies in the sense that the other one has the model assembling & painting side while the other one doesn't. Any dice rolling etc. depends on the rules of the game; cards & dice can appear in both form of gaming, it is just electronic on the video gaming side.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

[Fiend]

Postby [Fiend] » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:14 pm

Yes they are different entertainment media and yes some people like the direction GW is taking (possible correlation with repeated drug-taking in prior years, partial blindness, and lottery winnings to hand).

But I still think there has been a massive increase in the variety, number, and overall quality of GW computer games, especially at a time when most of any perceived increase in quality of GW products is limited to "well the fancy OTT new models are really well done for plastic" (so they should be given the vast price increase over white metal). Further, the computer games seem to be flying the flagship of the original Warhammer lores and themes just as GW has abandoned them.

As well as a generally interesting phenomenon, it makes me wonder if there is a conscious shift at GW HQ to encourage PC games companies to represent them better and to shore up their finances??
~
"And I've never held a pewter model in my hands and thought, "If only this were more detailed.""
~

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:53 am

I doubt there's a conscious shift at GW HQ, they care or understand little of the capabilities of various video/mobile game companies. For each superbly crafted product which is driven by the rich lore of Warhammer and the love of its fans, two half baked turds pop out of the oven.

We are just very lucky to have something like the Warhammer Total War at all, or any of the other high quality games.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

Scoutbike

Postby Scoutbike » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:07 pm

The decline of this forum has nothing to do with the hobby, and everything to do with endless trolling and wishlisting over the death of gw. The owners of this site refuse to pay hundreds of pounds every year just to have it all spent on gw hate posts like this one.

Age of Sigmar is very alive and has a highly active forum over in 'the grand alliance', which is where all the actual players hang out, as well as facebook and twitter.

GWs latest warlords competitive aos event was their fastest selling gw event ever, and sold all 100 tickets, with 99 out of those 100 attending the full event.

Carry on your wishlisting mate, but AoS is going ahead and from strength to strength with our without your consent.
But by all means continue to [bip] about it here on this husk of a forum inhabited by lonely haters.

[Fiend]

Postby [Fiend] » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:54 pm

Don't bother calling me "mate", I wouldn't waste time being mates with someone who jumps to kneejerk reactions without knowing a person's background with Warhammer nor bothers to try to understand a post. I doubt I'd have been on here for 11 years nor been into Warhammer for 25 years if I was a "hater". I'm pointing out a potentially interesting phenomenon and if you have no interest in that then don't bother posting.
~
~

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:56 pm

Yeah. I've been playing GW videogames ever since the early 90's, and I have seen their quality rise and fall like the flow of the tides. With this mobile gaming phase the quality has dropped terribly low, but like I said in my earlier post we are lucky to have some high quality games still. The random quality of GW licensed videogames is quite ample proof that they don't have much of a grasp on the software development side of things, and why should they, that is not their main business. :smt102

I agree with the idea that the videogames are starting to carry the flag of the IP more than the original games though. Especially since many of the original games have been killed off years or even decades ago already. This phenomenon is at its strongest with Fantasy Battle, where the WH:TW's quality surpasses that of the AoS when you compare the two products purely as games. AoS is of course more than just a game, it is a miniature collecting/assembling/painting hobby as well and its player community interacts on a different social level.

I would not say that the tabletop is dead, since there is still massive demand for tabletop games as has been proven by the amount of successful kickstarters for such things. Many of these people have been/are/will be Warhammer hobbyists too. But the flag is definitely getting passed to the videogame side of things for much of the old IP.

At some point, I see that happening with 40k as well.

Return to “Age of Sigmar”