The place to discuss the new Fantasy game of endless war

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Wmossuk
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Starting to build an army...

Postby Wmossuk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:16 pm

Hey guys

Where do you personally like to start when building an army??

Lord Xcapobl

Re: Starting to build an army...

Postby Lord Xcapobl » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:16 pm

I start at the rules (or codex, warscrolls, army list, or whatever).

Basically, I am in this to play the game, not just to have some fancy models, build them, paint them. As such, I tend to look at the rulebook or whatever source there is for information on a specific army, and look at what I need to have a playable force.
The only dumb question is the one you never asked, for you will never have an answer to it.

mldemoss

Postby mldemoss » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:29 pm

Right now I think the best place to start is the "Start Collecting" box sets that GW is selling at the moment. They are priced at a discount compared to buying the models individually and generally get you around 600 - 750 points worth of units depending on which army you buy.

Wmossuk

Postby Wmossuk » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:24 pm

Sorry guys.

What I meant was more around which army then actually building one.

So what race/alliance etc.

Lord Xcapobl

Postby Lord Xcapobl » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:15 pm

Different question.

I like to start by looking at the models. Do I think they are beautiful, or not? Do I see myself building and painting them with a smile on my face, or not? For that reason I once chose Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings over Orcs and Goblins. Due to its adaptability and high acceptence of sometimes rather wild conversions, I choose Warriors of Chaos over Ogre Kingdoms.

Next is the question whether you like the army style of play. If you don't like static gun lines, don't take an army with lots of artillery and archers and handgunners. Instead, look if the army you like visually can also perform in the way you like to play. I have mentioned archers and handgunners on purpose, for they are part of the Freeguild (former Empire). That army can also take a lot of knights on horseback, troops with halberds or handweapons. It can easily become more of a melee typed army by just picking the right units. Some armies seem to be more specialized. Keep that in mind.

As for which army you should choose? I'm not going to suggest one single army, of course. I probably don't know you personally, so I'll assume I do'n't know your preferences. But I do hope my way of looking at startign an amry can help you on your way.
The only dumb question is the one you never asked, for you will never have an answer to it.

Clymer
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Clymer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:18 am

I started with Empire because I loved the idea of mere humans living in a terrifyingly dangerous world fighting for survival with a combination of discipline, technology, and religious fanaticism. More than the models or the style of play, I liked the idea of them.

I later got into ogres later for pretty much the same reason: I really liked the theme. The semi-humorous back story of tribes of brutes with an unquenchable hunger roaming the world looking for their next meal intrigued me.

In both cases, I really liked models in their ranges and liked the look of the army together and their play style. In fact, with the ogres, I was in part inspired by a series of tournament battle reports by someone I think called tiny tim. I came to like the play style of the armies afterwards.
warhammerfinn wrote:There's a direct correlation between the army that just beat me and what is overpowered.

Return to “Age of Sigmar”