Where to start with Beastclaw Raiders

The place to discuss the new Fantasy game of endless war

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

kong
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Where to start with Beastclaw Raiders

Postby kong » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:57 am

Can anyone give some clues as to where to get started with Beastclaw Raiders?

What should you pick up etc
Market Feedback Link

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=97600

Gaz Taylor
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Where to start with Beastclaw Raiders

Postby Gaz Taylor » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:02 am

I think the first question is - Do you want to be Beastclaw Raiders or Destruction? This should help you decide upon what you want to do. For example, I was looking at doing a Beastclaw force but the allegiance bonus abilities are a bit too random, so I started looking at the Destruction ones and they seemed a better fit. So I think if you pick Destruction Allegiance, go for as many Stonehorns or Thundertusks that you fit in (I suspect this is why you are looking at BCR) and then what other stuff you want in around that. Normal Ogres or Ironjaws seem to be a good fit as well ;)

kong

Postby kong » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:40 pm

Gaz Taylor wrote:I think the first question is - Do you want to be Beastclaw Raiders or Destruction? This should help you decide upon what you want to do. For example, I was looking at doing a Beastclaw force but the allegiance bonus abilities are a bit too random, so I started looking at the Destruction ones and they seemed a better fit. So I think if you pick Destruction Allegiance, go for as many Stonehorns or Thundertusks that you fit in (I suspect this is why you are looking at BCR) and then what other stuff you want in around that. Normal Ogres or Ironjaws seem to be a good fit as well ;)

Hmmm need to work out the difference between Destruction and Beastclaw Raiders ......
Market Feedback Link

Gaz Taylor

Postby Gaz Taylor » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

I'm assuming you are doing matched play? Best thing to do is pick up the generals handbook and read through the traits and how it fits into the default ability that the alliance has (basically get a run move in the Hero phase but can still charge afterwards which you wouldn't be able to do if you ran in the normal sequence).

kong

Postby kong » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Matched play indeed.

Already picked up the generals handbook and the beast claw raiders book. Would the destruction book be worth a look too?
Market Feedback Link

amysrevenge

Postby amysrevenge » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:38 pm

kong wrote:Matched play indeed.

Already picked up the generals handbook and the beast claw raiders book. Would the destruction book be worth a look too?

Depends on how you feel about reading warscrolls on the app vs. holding a book in your hands. There's nothing rule-wise in the Destruction book that isn't free on the app.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Clymer

Postby Clymer » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:14 am

The Icewind Assault box is pretty sweet. It's about $87 in savings, gives you a taste of much of the Beastclaw Raiders army, access to a really good battalion, and 1580 points of an army to drop on the battlefield. Adding another box of Mournfangs gets you to 1980 points, or adding a Huskard also gets you close enough 2000 points that you can probably call it an even 2000 since there's no points listed for the Icewind Assault Battalion. (I'd guess it's worth 40-60 points)

Alternatively, from that box you could build either the Jorlbad or the Eurlbad Battalions, plus the Skal Battalion, and have a few Yhetees left over. Add a Frostlord on a Stonehorn and that should get you to the 2000 point mark too.

Either way, you're putting a full army on the table for about $275, which is probably one of the most cost efficient armies out there.

I agree with Gaz that the Beastclaw allegiance traits/heirlooms are random, and somehow not as impressive as the Destruction stuff. I haven't found any of that stuff to be true game changers though. Also, having to take 3 units of ogres at 2k points is less optimal, IMHO, than being able to use mournfangs as battleline if you're trying to focus on Beastclaw. The last trade off though is also pretty important: with beastclaw only, you don't have access to magic.
warhammerfinn wrote:There's a direct correlation between the army that just beat me and what is overpowered.

Gaz Taylor

Postby Gaz Taylor » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:13 am

amysrevenge wrote:
kong wrote:Matched play indeed.

Depends on how you feel about reading warscrolls on the app vs. holding a book in your hands. There's nothing rule-wise in the Destruction book that isn't free on the app.

Agree with this. There is nothing extra in the Destruction book you get vs the app or the scrolls on the website. So its all about if you want the book to read while on the throne or like collecting the books ;)

Clymer wrote:I agree with Gaz that the Beastclaw allegiance traits/heirlooms are random, and somehow not as impressive as the Destruction stuff. I haven't found any of that stuff to be true game changers though. Also, having to take 3 units of ogres at 2k points is less optimal, IMHO, than being able to use mournfangs as battleline if you're trying to focus on Beastclaw. The last trade off though is also pretty important: with beastclaw only, you don't have access to magic.

Problem I have with Mournfangs is that you only get a few of them, which makes it more difficult with anything objective based. I personally think the best unit is Savage Oruks but I'm not a fan of this as from a background point of view why would they join up in a army with the big beasties they love butchering! :D

Clymer

Postby Clymer » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:07 pm

Gaz Taylor wrote:Problem I have with Mournfangs is that you only get a few of them, which makes it more difficult with anything objective based.

It's harder to get more units of mournfangs for sure, but they're only 80 points more than a unit of 3 ogres, and I don't know if 3 ogres really has the staying power.

But if more units rather than staying power is what one needs, then there's always sabretusks, uhm sorry, Frostsabres, at $17 for a box of 2, not a horrible deal. I think they're a great unit and also fit with the Beastclaw vibe. I don't have my book on me ATM, but sabretusks can be battleline if the general is a hunter, too, right? Pretty versatile.
warhammerfinn wrote:There's a direct correlation between the army that just beat me and what is overpowered.

kong

Postby kong » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:53 pm

For matched play, am I correct in my interpretation that if you have weapon options for a model you simply choose the ones you want and it does not cost points?
Market Feedback Link

hragged

Postby hragged » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:53 pm

kong wrote:For matched play, am I correct in my interpretation that if you have weapon options for a model you simply choose the ones you want and it does not cost points?

Yep, that's correct!

I agree with Cymer that the Icewind Assault box is a pretty good deal.

I lean more towards the Destruction allegiance than Beastclaw personally, and if you find the generally very low model count of a pure Beastclaw Raiders army proves troublesome in games where objectives are based around model count, you could field a few of the other Destruction battleline options for a whole bunch of additional bodies.

BTW you may be interested in my Destruction Grand Alliance site if you aren't aware of it already:

http://www.the-stronghold.com/

Cheers!

kong

Postby kong » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:37 pm

OK I have picked up the Icewind Assault box

Now how do I equip them? Any mistakes to avoid
Market Feedback Link

Clymer

Postby Clymer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:43 am

Congratulations!

Your first choice is to pick which battalion to build, you could build the Icewind Assault, Jorlbad, or Eurlbad. The difference between these is mainly whether you build stonehorns, thundertsuks, etc.

Opinions will vary, but I like the Icewind Assault battalion as-is. The battalion benefits are better, and I also prefer specialized monsters, for example, beastriders on Thundertusk are specialized for range, and frostlord on stonehorn is specialized for melee. The beastriders on Stonehorn seem odd to me because you probably want to run instead of shoot most of the time.

The main advantage to the Jorlbad or Eurlbad would be if you're thinking of building up to one of those really big battalions that require like 3 jorlbads or something.

After that, I don't think you can go very wrong. The two handed thingys on the mournfangs seem to be as good as the iron fists. If you go Jorlbad/eurlbad, then you'll have two units of mournfangs instead of one. In a two-mournfang unit you'll have to choose only two between banner, horn, or pistol. I prefer the horn to get the charge advantage, and the pistol to get effectively an extra attack. The banner's ability to increase the number of fleeing enemy models seems random and situational to me. Although not horrible if you're running units 4-strong.

The hunter's spear seems a little bit better to me than the crossbow, but you should think about whether you see your hunter getting up close (go spear) or standing off or ambushing (go crossbow).

sterlingarcher

Postby sterlingarcher » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:18 am

I would buy the destruction book just because its cheap and the alliance books are all really nice. However, the mournfang entry has been updated to include the great weapons in the app and BCR book. Itll purely be a collectors thing.

Mournfang with two handed weapon is boss. been running units of two with banner and horn. Banner lets you reroll sixes on battleshock tests so you can keep the last guy alive easy enough. Also you can give the banner bearer or hornblower the pistol as well as there is nothing in AOS rules saying that you can't. All the entries say, 'Models in the unit may be...' and a Skalg is a model like any other.

If youre going for theme, I would stick with whatever is in the beastclaw book and have a combo of the beasties, mournfang and either yhetees or sabres for objectives.

If youre going for strong lists, go allegiance destruction and use either orruk maniacs or standard ogors as your battleline units. Ironguts are seriously amazing and a tyrant can make them immune to battleshock for the entire game. Maneaters are great with their free ability, loads of attacks and a pistol each. Mournfang are still great here as they are fast and have 6 wounds a piece. Thundertusks over stonehorns due to the amazing shooting attack they have.

Really there are so many cool things you can do with destruction because of the variety of units you can choose from. You just have to decide what theme you are going with ie Beastclaw Raiders, Ogors, Destrcution etc. Then work from there.

Return to “Age of Sigmar”