The place to discuss the new Fantasy game of endless war

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Wmossuk
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Totally New Warhammer Player

Postby Wmossuk » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:43 am

Hey guys.

Recently bought the storm of sigmar mini boxset and Warhammer was always something I wanted to try out. So hi!

Really enjoy painting the models too. With such a lot of books around. How can I get an idea of what the battle styles of each army are like? I have some person favourites in terms of look (Stormcast, malignants & sylvaneth) but wondered how distinct they are from each other?

Payce

Re: Totally New Warhammer Player

Postby Payce » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:49 am

Welcome to a great hobby!

Generally, I'd say your best bet for getting an idea on how different armies work is Youtube. Just search for "[army name] battle report" and watch a few. What makes Age of Sigmar such a great game is that most armies can do a lot of different things, depending on how you build them. Stormcast Eternals, for example, can both be a massive block of infantry with lots of Liberators, Paladins and beefy characters, as well as a powerhouse of pure cavalry with lots of ranged support with Judicators and Knight-Azyros.

There's also a lot of Facebook groups dedicated to Age of Sigmar in general, as well as the various armies.

My first suggestion would be to get the General's Handbook. It tells you everything you need to know about playing the game in various ways, and it gives you an idea on how allegiances work.

Of the armies you listed, I'd say Stormcast is the easiest army to begin with. Sylvaneth are amazing models and have great rules, but they come with a fairly high skill cap and requires a lot of tactical acumen to really play well. Malignants can be really good, but I'd recommend playing them as a part of a full Death army - on their own, they don't do much good. Death is a very fickle, but incredibly fun and rewarding army to play, always demanding your full attention to synergy between units and where and when to deploy which forces, but once you "crack the code" they can be an unstoppable juggernaut.

Whichever you choose, good luck!

Wmossuk

Postby Wmossuk » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:31 am

Thank you so much for that @payce

Could you just explain a little more detail about what you said about the death army?

I am leaning toward a death army and just want to understand what you mean by synergy and where and when to deploy? By this do you mean the summoning spells?

Payce

Postby Payce » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:30 pm

Wmossuk wrote:Could you just explain a little more detail about what you said about the death army?

I am leaning toward a death army and just want to understand what you mean by synergy and where and when to deploy? By this do you mean the summoning spells?

Absolutely!

With a Death army, almost all of your units are dependent on something else to be present, to achieve full effect. The Corpse Cart and Mortis Engine are prime examples; both are underwhelming in their own right, but once you put some zombies, a Necromancer and some Dire Wolves in front of them, they become truly terrifying. It's a fairly common theme with Death units that they look a bit underwhelming in their own right, because they need to be a part of a larger whole to function.

Look at Neferata - commonly considered the most powerful of the Mortarchs, largely due to her command ability. Then look at the regular Vampire Lord, and his command ability, and consider how much more powerful Neferata could be with him as your general instead of her. The construction of your army is so dependent on considering what everything does, alongside which units, to what end. What units are your "win condition"? What units are your sacrifical chaff? What units are there to boost which units? And so on, so forth. Death needs you to think these things through when you construct your army, instead of just making it up on the go as you play. But once you gain that level of insight and all the cogs fit into play, my experience is that Death is a truly rewarding army to play - almost anything can be a viable and dangerous unit, so long as you build your army around what role you want it to play.

Some quick tips for Death:
- The Wight King with Black Axe, equipped with the Ring of Immortality; cheap as chips and deadly as sin.
- There are a few really decent battalions to cover your battleline requirement, the Deathrattle Legion of Death and Flesh Eater Corts Ghoul Patrol.
- If you have a Mortis Engine, learn to use it and never leave home without it. It does SO VERY MUCH.
- Spirit Hosts may look weak, but once you have six or more, those mortal wounds rack up fast.
- Flesh Hounds are dirt, dirt cheap, and make excellent tanks, especially with a Corpse Cart. Two units of five offer excellent board control early game.
- Morghasts are a bit overcosted for what the give, but if you want to take them, go with Harbingers. Their speed is frightening.
- Remember that Neferata's and the Coven Throne's "add a vampire" abilities are considered summoning; in most games, you won't be able to use it.
- Take three units of ten zombies each if you want to fill your battleline cheap and easy; simply deploy them together and use their merge in turn 1.
- The Forge World Mourngul is literally the scariest thing in the universe.

Hope this helps! :)

Wmossuk

Postby Wmossuk » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Thank you so much for that @payce

Really useful. I'm finding it so difficult to decide between stormcast, death and sylvaneth lol

I have a question about sylvaneth... They seem to need wyldwoods to trigger some of their abilities. How does that work? Are the woods considered as units or something?

Stormcast I just love the look of and always love playing as 'Angels' (as I see them :))

Daedalus81

Postby Daedalus81 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:15 pm

Wmossuk wrote:Thank you so much for that @payce

Really useful. I'm finding it so difficult to decide between stormcast, death and sylvaneth lol

I have a question about sylvaneth... They seem to need wyldwoods to trigger some of their abilities. How does that work? Are the woods considered as units or something?

Stormcast I just love the look of and always love playing as 'Angels' (as I see them :))

Wyldwoods are not units and do not cost points. You do get multiple ways to bring more to the table, however. Sylvaneth can build an army that is very reliant on their existence or not. It's totally up to you.

Stormcast are purported to be great and challenging models to paint.

Wmossuk

Postby Wmossuk » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:19 pm

Cheers @Daedalus81

Do you mind just explaining a bit more. How do you get wyldwoods on the battlefield?

And what are the non wyldwoods sylvaneth armies like?

Daedalus81

Postby Daedalus81 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:35 pm

Wmossuk wrote:Cheers @Daedalus81

Do you mind just explaining a bit more. How do you get wyldwoods on the battlefield?

And what are the non wyldwoods sylvaneth armies like?

You can get woods multiple ways:
1) Sylvaneth get a free wood on setup
2) The spell 'Verdant Blessing'
3) The arcane item 'Acorn of the Ages' adds one
4) The battalion Sylvaneth Wargrove adds another
5) Alarielles Metamorphosis spell

There may be one more way that i'm forgetting.

An army without woods is going to rely more on brute strength - so Drycha, Kurnoth Hunters, Tree Revenants, and Tree Lords more than anything else. The synergies with Wyldwoods are too great to ignore, however, so you should always keep them in mind.

Daedalus81

Postby Daedalus81 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:35 pm

Return to “Age of Sigmar”