Can someone explain deathmages??

The place to discuss the new Fantasy game of endless war

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Wmossuk
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Can someone explain deathmages??

Postby Wmossuk » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:34 am

Hey all. I'm a very new starter to Warhammer in general and really enjoying the AoS stuff. I'm interested by the Death Armies however I'm confused about deathmages and their ability to cast summon spells for other units.

Why would you not deploy your Tomb Banshee from the beginning instead?

Or am I missing something???

WoodenGoblin

Re: Can someone explain deathmages??

Postby WoodenGoblin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:57 am

Scenarios outside of Matched Play or Pitched Battles, positioning, protect it from early targeting, adding more strategy, and story telling are my thoughts. There are probably others since I'm very new to the hobby.
Age of Sigmar Player and Hobbyist
Always looking for new people to play with.
Primarily Destruction Faction (WAAGH!)

SquirrelMaster
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby SquirrelMaster » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:32 am

Some of what occurs to me:

1. If you deploy a banshee normally, then move her forward 6" on turn 1, she will be 18" away from enemies (unless your opponent went first and moved towards you). She won't be able to scream or charge. If you summon her, you can place her 9" away. She can start screaming at stuff on turn 1, and potentially even charge on turn 1.

2. Deploying fewer models means more chance of winning first-turn priority.

3. In the escalation mission, it allows you to get more stuff on the table quickly.

4. If you deploy a banshee over on the left, but the stuff you really want her to kill is over on the right, it's harder to get her where she needs to be.

5. You don't have to decide what you will be summoning until you actually do. If your opponent has lots of high-bravery stuff, you might decide to use those points to summon a unit of skeletons instead. Summoning lets you tailor your list to your opponent during the game.

6. Summoning lets you exceed the normal limits on leaders, behemoths, and artillery. For example, in a "Battlehost" game, the banshee counts towards your limit of 6 leaders, but you can still summon additional banshees even with 6 leaders already on the table.
C. S. Lewis wrote:When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Wmossuk

Postby Wmossuk » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:58 am

Ah ok interesting!!!

So there's way more strategy to this?

Wmossuk

Postby Wmossuk » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:46 am

Make sense. So does she count towards you're matched play point cost then even if she's sitting out the battle waiting to be summoned I'm guessing??

Payce

Postby Payce » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:03 pm

Wmossuk wrote:Make sense. So does she count towards you're matched play point cost then even if she's sitting out the battle waiting to be summoned I'm guessing??

Yes.

You have to leave a points amount "off the table" - for example, if you deploy 1620 points of models, you have 380 left for summoning. Take Nagash and three units of ten zombies for your battleline and you have a whooping 920 points for summoning.

All the points Squirrelmaster lists are really good, but it's a tactical matter of how many models you can have, versus what you want, on the table as the battle escalates.

SquirrelMaster
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby SquirrelMaster » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:42 pm

Actually, you should note down how many points you are allocating as "reserve point", because it won't necessarily be "everything you have left over".
The pitched battle rules grant a roll on the "Triumphs Table" to whomever has the most points left over after choosing their list.
So if you're playing, say, 2000pts, it might be worth spending 1500pts on actual models to deploy, setting aside 400pts as "reserve points" (which you can then use to summon models during the game), and then having 100pts points "left over", to try and secure that "Triumphs Table" roll.
It's up to you to decide that, but it should really be written down on your army roster.
C. S. Lewis wrote:When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Return to “Age of Sigmar”