What I Love, and What I Miss

The place to discuss the new Fantasy game of endless war

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Clymer
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

What I Love, and What I Miss

Postby Clymer » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:14 am

With the new General's Handbook taking AoS a smidge closer to older versions of Warhammer, I've been musing lately on what I love about AoS, and what I miss from older generations. I'm curious to hear what others love and miss too, and hopefully people will respond more with nostalgia than outrage.

What I Love
- Monsters! They're finally truly monsters! They work great!
- Non-sequential play. I love the "I pick, you pick" flow of the combat phase. I also really like the initiative roll each turn. Both features force important decisions and give me choices to influence the game when it's not my turn.
- Straight forward rules. Barring a few instances of unclear rules, and a few more of needlessly complicated abilities, it's pretty awesome how easy it is to see what each unit does and how their abilities work right there on the warscrolls entry.

What I Miss
- A crucial movement phase. Yes, the movement phase is important in AoS, but in 6th/7th edition, the movement phase was the whole game. Army selection was important, but once you had a decent army, mastery of the movement phase was the key to the game. Mind you, I think this changed a lot in 8th edition. You go back to 8th edition tactics posts and they are often not really tactics at all, but statistical debates about which unit did better vs. which unit. Go back to 6th/7th edition forum posts and you'll find extensive monographs on the best unit sizes and shapes and how to deploy and move them. I know intelligent and experienced people will disagree with my points here, but I know this will resonate with many old timers.
- Movement Trays. I mainly play Empire and the look of big units clashing on the battlefield is what attracted me to Warhammer in the first place. So it is with great tedium that I play my Empire army with 150 models. I switched back to my Ogres a couple weeks ago and it seems like games play in half the time just because the army is so much easier to move.
- Customization. Magic items, spells, wizard levels... They added a lot of personalization to the game. The new traits, abilities, and items bring back some of this, but it's not quite the same.
- Needing only two books (rules and army book) to play. Last night I had the Destruction Alliance Book, the General's Handbook, the Age of Sigmar book for the scenario and my laptop for the Ogre Kingdoms Warscrolls and scenery warscrolls. It's out of hand.

What I Do Not Miss
- Ridiculous Imbalance. Late 7th edition Skaven and Daemons were just stupid powerful. On the flip side, some armies were so weak as to be hopeless in a competitive environment, like Ogres in 7th edition, and Tina leaser extent, 7th edition Orcs and Goblins. Even armies with competitive builds had entire sections of their army books that were more or less irrelevant. In AoS, I've run into a few head scratchers, especially given some really narrow faction groupings, but on the whole, I don't feel like there's too many units that are automatic must-haves or must-avoids, and I don't feel like I've encountered anything so over powered that I feel helpless against it.
- A super tedious magic phase. I loved medium magic games in all previous editions that I played. But sooner or later you ran into the inevitable Teclis or never-ending Magic dice of Dark Elves or Vampire Counts or Daemons and then you'd just sit doing pretty much nothing except removing vast amounts of models while your opponent had a lot of fun rolling dice for twenty minutes straight. I think AoS could up the magic game a little bit, but it's in or near my Goldilocks zone.
warhammerfinn wrote:There's a direct correlation between the army that just beat me and what is overpowered.

silashand

Re: What I Love, and What I Miss

Postby silashand » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 pm

Clymer wrote:- Needing only two books (rules and army book) to play. Last night I had the Destruction Alliance Book, the General's Handbook, the Age of Sigmar book for the scenario and my laptop for the Ogre Kingdoms Warscrolls and scenery warscrolls. It's out of hand.

40K has become like that with all the dataslates, formations, campaign books, etc. I know GW do it to sell the new models and all, but for game coherency it blows. I would have thought they would've used AoS as an opportunity to fix that, but if what you say is true they missed the proverbial boat. JMO, of course.
Admin - Bugman's Brewery

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Unknown
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire (1694-1778)
"Each day you must choose: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." - Unknown

6 x 9 = 42

jamopower

Postby jamopower » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:09 am

You could have them all in the app, but sadly digital products are sub par compared to actual books :(

Dwarf Giant

Postby Dwarf Giant » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:45 am

The only thing I miss (and that really kept my interest) was the Old World setting. I suppose I also miss the sense of community which has sadly splintered now aswell. I would even have given the new game more of a go if it had been kept in the same setting.
Tris

Just suck it up and keep on punching.

Market feedback link: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=127286

silashand

Postby silashand » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Dwarf Giant wrote: I would even have given the new game more of a go if it had been kept in the same setting.

I likely would not have. I wanted a battle game rather than yet another skirmish system. Perhaps the GH has made things better and for that I am happy for those who like AoS. I just play too many skirmish systems already (frostgrave, infinity, lotr, etc) so I'm not really interested in another one. But to each their own and it's good to see things improving for the AoS community.
Admin - Bugman's Brewery

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Unknown
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire (1694-1778)
"Each day you must choose: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." - Unknown

6 x 9 = 42

Clymer

Postby Clymer » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:42 pm

I miss the Old World setting as well. The new realms are interesting in their own way, but I feel like something is missing.

Game-size wise, I feel like we're doing more like mid-sized battles than skirmish. That's partly because of model count and GH points systems, but also the game just takes longer to play with all of the special rules and everything.

Besides number of models, the game also has a smaller geometric feel due to greater movement and shorter spell and missile range. Without flanks there's not as much reason to maneuver, so you really use a lot less of the table during a game.

Like I said, I really miss that movement phase.
warhammerfinn wrote:There's a direct correlation between the army that just beat me and what is overpowered.

Payce
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Postby Payce » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:25 am

Dwarf Giant wrote:The only thing I miss (and that really kept my interest) was the Old World setting. I suppose I also miss the sense of community which has sadly splintered now aswell. I would even have given the new game more of a go if it had been kept in the same setting.

For me, it's the exact opposite. Where I live and play, Age of Sigmar has rekindled so much interest and so much community compared to a stale and boring 8th edition where everyone played netlists and no one bought or created anything new. We have a blossoming community that is almost surpassing the 40k/30k crowd, purely because of how good the new game is.

Return to “Age of Sigmar”