Garrisoning a Building when an Enemy Is Within 3"

The place to discuss the new Fantasy game of endless war

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Clymer
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Garrisoning a Building when an Enemy Is Within 3"

Postby Clymer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:00 am

Little situation:

My ogres are touching one side of a big 'ol Witchfate Tor. My opponent has a dragon touching the other side of it. Can my ogres enter the Tor? The models would never move within 3" of each other, but as soon as they enter the Tor, the dragon would start measuring to the Tor, not the models.

How would you play it?
warhammerfinn wrote:There's a direct correlation between the army that just beat me and what is overpowered.

Nibbles
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Garrisoning a Building when an Enemy Is Within 3"

Postby Nibbles » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:20 pm

Units starting the movement phase within
3" of an enemy unit can either remain
stationary or retreat. If you choose to
retreat, the unit must end its move more
than 3" away from all enemy units. If a unit
retreats, then it can’t shoot or charge later
that turn (see below).

That should be applied to the situation, there's no problem. The quote is from the basic rules.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

SquirrelMaster

Postby SquirrelMaster » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:34 am

@Nibbles, I don't think that's relevant.

@OP
By RAW, the ogres certainly can enter the tor, meaning they effectively end up "in close combat" with the dragon, without actually charging.

If I was playing against someone who wanted to house-rule that you can't enter a building while there is an enemy within 3", I would happily do so, but I'm enough of a RAW-adherent that I wouldn't be the one to suggest it mid-game.
C. S. Lewis wrote:When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Clymer

Postby Clymer » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Thanks guys, I was looking at the situation outlined by Squirrel Master at the time, but Nibbles raises an interesting point that came up later in the game.

The Tor was empty with a dragon standing next to it that was engaged in combat. The dragon retreated into the Tor, at which point he became engaged with a different unit touching the Tor.

The Watchtower scenario is weirder than I thought in AoS. I had even played this scenario a couple times before without this situation coming up. But it came up a couple of times in this particular game.

Thanks for the opinions folks.
warhammerfinn wrote:There's a direct correlation between the army that just beat me and what is overpowered.

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Yeah, you shouldn't have been able to retreat into the Tor with the Dragon since that placed it within 3" of an enemy unit.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

Clymer

Postby Clymer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:38 am

Good point. Thanks for pointing that out.

Rillix

Postby Rillix » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:16 pm

Interesting one. I'd say as written you could not enter the building as it would put you within 3" of an enemy unit which you cannot do. However you could just charge it, there's nothing to say you can't charge into the building from what I can see.
Terry Pike - Salisbury - @TerryPike84
FaceHammer Podcast - Tournament reviews & everything Warhammer!
www.FaceHammer.co.uk | @FaceHammer_

Clymer

Postby Clymer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:50 pm

I'm pretty sure you can't charge in, because garrisoning happens in the movement phase.

Paulb

Postby Paulb » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:11 am

Agree with Terry, the Unit can't move into the building, that would break the 3" rule.

The rules for the building warscrolls say you can garrison the building if you start your movement phase within 6". They then say remove the unit and place it to one side. They don't explicitly say which phase you remove the unit, so you could do it in the charge phase I guess? Thus ending your charge move within 1/2 inch .

If the unit near the building was more than 1/2" away from the building then I don't think you could move or charge into the building. If you are more than 6" away at the start of the movement phase I don't think you could charge either.
For pics, vids and battle reports check out

http://www.warhammergc.com/

Return to “Age of Sigmar”