Is it a Tyranid? Is it an Imperial Walker? No....Wood Elves?

The place to discuss the new Fantasy game of endless war

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

[Fiend]
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Is it a Tyranid? Is it an Imperial Walker? No....Wood Elves?

Postby [Fiend] » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:53 pm

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Wa ... tid=334130

I'm not complaining or trolling about this - this actually had me laughing out loud. Thunderthighs Ariel riding a Tyranid, generic elites with massive power swords, and a sort of Penitent Engine / Tau Battlesuit hybrid. I'm trying to think of anything about these that embodies a Wood Elf spirit / aesthetic, and I can't. It is really quite mesmerisingly awful :lol:
~
"And I've never held a pewter model in my hands and thought, "If only this were more detailed.""
Now with 50% bonus laziness - I paint a few figures a year..
~

Shyanekh
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Is it a Tyranid? Is it an Imperial Walker? No....Wood Elves?

Postby Shyanekh » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:19 pm

Huh, tastes obviously differ then. Personally I think this is the best AoS release I've seen. I liked the Silver Tower stuff, but these are exactly my kind of thing. The only thing I'm unsure about is the new Drycha, but even then I don't think it's a bad model, just not quite to my taste.

When I first saw the artwork for the spite revenants I was very unsure about them. However, looking at the models I absolutely love them! I have a serious soft spot for evil fae.

If I hadn't already burned myself out painting my KoW forces of nature army I would have definitely picked some of these up for it. I may still get some at some point in the future, but I kind of overdid the highlighting on that army and I'm not sure I can bring myself to go through it again ;)

Dwarf Giant

Postby Dwarf Giant » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:24 pm

I'm not a fan. It lacks elegance for want of a better word. Some of the Silver Tower stuff was great but this 'bigger is better' thing just doesn't appeal to me.
Tris

Just suck it up and keep on punching.

Market feedback link: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=127286

Neil Peckett

Postby Neil Peckett » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:15 pm

[Fiend] wrote:
I'm not complaining or trolling about this

Course you're not sunshine.
AnnieAnnie wrote:Every time Neil Peckett cheats, he gains a muscle

Ben Curry wrote:He used to be such a nice guy, now he's a horrible cheater!

Viruk

Postby Viruk » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:43 am

[Fiend] wrote:I'm trying to think of anything about these that embodies a Wood Elf spirit / aesthetic, and I can't.

What's a Wood Elf and what's it got to do with these Sylvaneth models?
Mohammad Ashraf - ETC WHFB Wales Captain 2015
Twitter - @Channel_4_News
Cardiff GT - 9th Age - 20/21 February 2016 - HERE

[Fiend]

Postby [Fiend] » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:46 am

Honestly guv. The Sigmarine and MegaNob Power Orruks I was outraged and appalled by. This time it's gone beyond that, I really was laughing. Maybe not a good thing as it might mean I've given up any hope for GW/Warhammer/AOS??

Evil fae are a good idea. Chunky Imperial Robo-Fae less so...

Well, I might not be trolling, but come on Viruk, all the revamped races are supposed to be an extrapolation of their WH counterparts.

Errr. I mean fantasy-isation of their 40k counterparts, obviously....
~
"And I've never held a pewter model in my hands and thought, "If only this were more detailed.""
Now with 50% bonus laziness - I paint a few figures a year..
~

Shyanekh

Postby Shyanekh » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:05 am

[Fiend] wrote:Evil fae are a good idea. Chunky Imperial Robo-Fae less so...

I can see that to an extent with Drycha. She's clearly meant to be fused to a larger body which does have something of the dreadnought about it. That's probably the reason it's the one model I'm less keen on. I get what they were going for, but it's not for me.

However, the rest of the Sylvaneth stuff is more or less exactly how I imagine forest spirits looking. I know that style is very much a subjective affair, but I'm honestly not seeing the tyranid/robot look.

If I had one complaint, it would be that there are no winged spirits here. I'd love to see this style applied to a "generic" fairy. Diaphanous or leafy wings, feminine face and torso and gnarled wooden limbs would have me raiding my bank account in a heartbeat. Now as complaints go, I reckon that one says they've done something right with these new models ;)

I don't play AoS myself, so maybe I shouldn't really be posting in this section. However, with the silver tower and now the Sylvaneth I'm actually excited for GW's model releases again :)

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:37 pm

This is not Ariel, that was a Wood Elf special character from way back.

This is a new version of Alarielle the Everqueen, of the former High Elves of Warhammer Fantasy Battle.

If this actually was Ariel and the lore of AoS was built on top of the old WHFB lore, that would be sweet. This model would be a worthy update to the old Ariel one, in my eyes! But I don't appreciate Alarielle being used to take her place, at all.

Those who don't care for the old lore & armies that much and don't mind the Elves being just one army now will of course be more accepting. And I have no doubt that those who do not even know about the old stuff will easily see this model as quite a fantastic centerpiece of their collection/army!

It does not, however, represent any of the things the old Alarielle model used to represent. Very much like AoS does not represent the things Warhammer Fantasy used to represent. There is no Wood Elf aesthetic anymore, there are just these Sylvaneth things for an entirely different game.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

Sleboda

Postby Sleboda » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:23 pm

[Fiend] wrote:https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer?N=102295+4294965067&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440002a-flat&_requestid=334130

I'm not complaining or trolling about this - this actually had me laughing out loud. Thunderthighs Ariel riding a Tyranid, generic elites with massive power swords, and a sort of Penitent Engine / Tau Battlesuit hybrid. I'm trying to think of anything about these that embodies a Wood Elf spirit / aesthetic, and I can't. It is really quite mesmerisingly awful :lol:

=> Funny!
I was thinking "Finally, they nailed the Forest Spirit/WE vibe I have been waiting for. Can't wait to start my WE army finally!"
Also looked at Alarielle and thought "How nice. They didn't cheesecake out. Even her thighs look like some muscle is in there and this War Aspect of her could kick butt!"

I have never wanted to buy WE stuff in such quantities as these.
True scholars have more than just one book to study.

2015 Tracker Thingie: Net Gain/Loss= -40 Completed 10 Newest: A Sigmar Guy)
(2014 Total: A=-528. C=5 Pathetic win!)
(2013 Total: A=-98 C=89 WIN!)
(2012 Total: A=149 C=54)
(2011 Total: A=171 C=114)

Bjarni St.

Postby Bjarni St. » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:50 am

I think they look amazing. They're certainly not Wood Elves(-y) so if that's what people were looking for then I can understand them being disappointed but these models are pretty sweet.
Far be it from me to pass judgement on your stupid laws or your dumb customs, but...

Hero606v2

Postby Hero606v2 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:57 am

'I'm not complaining' - check through history, nearly every recent post complaining about AOS direction.
Warhammer World - The Call of Gold Points Winner 2016

roostmanuva

Postby roostmanuva » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:08 pm

I have to say I am a big fan of this release also!

mossdocking

Postby mossdocking » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Exciting models good to see something different than the same old thing, will be buying this army..

mhsellwood

Postby mhsellwood » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:58 am

Sleboda wrote:
[Fiend] wrote:https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer?N=102295+4294965067&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440002a-flat&_requestid=334130

=> Funny!
I was thinking "Finally, they nailed the Forest Spirit/WE vibe I have been waiting for. Can't wait to start my WE army finally!"
Also looked at Alarielle and thought "How nice. They didn't cheesecake out. Even her thighs look like some muscle is in there and this War Aspect of her could kick butt!"

I have never wanted to buy WE stuff in such quantities as these.

Agreed. These are not Wood Elves updated, they are a new range with a new aesthetic and a direction.

Also, I would love to buy stuff. Except it is nearly all sold out here in Australia, all of it is sold out in New Zealand, and significant amounts of it are sold out in the UK, so I guess I will wait.

Grizzlybeer

Postby Grizzlybeer » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:27 am

This is the first AoS release that I may actually end up buying... Sure, not a Wood Elf update by any stretch of the imagination, but this is up my alley in the sense of a "life" army

But I also think that the "spirits" could have been painted much better to go with the rest of the tree...

crixalis

Postby crixalis » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:19 am

Personally I don't like the aesthetic, I see where Fiend is coming from on the battlesuit stuff - to me the 'tree' bits on the revenants look far too much like metal armour. Which is a shame, as I really love the aesthetic of the dryads, something a little closer to that I think would have looked awesome.

Potentially it's the paint-job not doing it for me though, maybe something a little more organic would make it look totally different to me, I wait and see what other people do with these models :)

Badger

Postby Badger » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:58 am

I think the new Sylvaneth has gone too far away from the ones that were released when AoS was fairly new.
I have the figures that were released then, and want to build a Sylvaneth army with them, but that seems no use now. These new models look so different that it will be hard to make it in to one army. Hopefully there will be rules for the old models in the rulebook, as they are still on the pages for the army.
They all are trees but there the similarity stops. The old Sylvaneth looked like walking trees, but the new looks a lot more like spirits dressed in trees.
Too many armies, too little time...

Lord of Pleasure

Postby Lord of Pleasure » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:20 pm

This is the first AoS release that I'd say I even have a remotely passing interest in based purely on the models. I've left GW behind and am very happy that I have, but this is the first set of models I've seen that I've actually liked. I was talking to a friend a little while ago and was saying that I'd come to the realisation that I just didn't like anything they've done anymore, model wise. Nothing really hit me in that way where you are amazed at how good it is like I get with some other companies.

I'm still not going to start an AoS army at all (especially not with that model costing £80) but this is the first time the possibility has even raised its head.

Neil Peckett

Postby Neil Peckett » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:21 pm

Badger wrote:I think the new Sylvaneth has gone too far away from the ones that were released when AoS was fairly new.
I have the figures that were released then, and want to build a Sylvaneth army with them, but that seems no use now. These new models look so different that it will be hard to make it in to one army. Hopefully there will be rules for the old models in the rulebook, as they are still on the pages for the army.
They all are trees but there the similarity stops. The old Sylvaneth looked like walking trees, but the new looks a lot more like spirits dressed in trees.

That surprises me you say that, I think the aesthetic across the range is very well matched. I guess it is all in the eyes of the viewer. A consistent paint scheme across the lot would do the job though I think.

Neil
AnnieAnnie wrote:Every time Neil Peckett cheats, he gains a muscle

Ben Curry wrote:He used to be such a nice guy, now he's a horrible cheater!

bennyp

Postby bennyp » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:47 pm

I think the sylvaneth look great and are in line with the WHFB treeman and dryad models.

Bought myself a box of Kurnouth Hunters already.

Some people like the new aesthetic, some don't. There's still a lot of hatred towards the AoS direction which I don't understand!
Models my morghasts have killed:
1. Belakor
2. War hydra
3. Bloodthirster
4. Plague ogres x3

Times Mannfred has been killed by deadly terrain: 2

Daedalus81

Postby Daedalus81 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:18 pm

bennyp wrote:There's still a lot of hatred towards the AoS direction which I don't understand!

If they don't find something to complain about they'll lose their cred and their internal logic will become inconsistent causing cerebral hemorrhaging.

Flogger

Postby Flogger » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:20 pm

I think the Sylvaneth line is the most gorgeous ever produced by GW (other than squigs of course)! Orgasmically beautiful trees right there.

The Ironjaws were also amazing! People saying that they are 40k Orks clearly doesn't remember that everything in 40k Orks is a downright copy of fantasy orcs.

Hero606v2

Postby Hero606v2 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:33 pm

GW have run out of stock due to the number of pre-orders and are having to make more asap.

But of course no-one finds them visually appealing...
Warhammer World - The Call of Gold Points Winner 2016

loki_the_black

Postby loki_the_black » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:16 am

Just wanted to add my two cents. I am not sure why you would think these are Wood Elves. They are listed as Sylvaneth. Most of the old WE are now under Wanderers.

Ignoring that though, I think the new minis look very coherent with the existing wood spirit minis, i.e. Treeman and Dryads. I agree that Drycha does look a bit like a dreadnought but I think it is a logical bridge between the existing Treeman and the Spite-Revenants.

I also thought that the Alarielle was one of the most anatomically correct sculptures I have seen. She is supposed to be a warrior not a waif of a super-model. Why would you expect her to have skinny thighs?

marjedi

Postby marjedi » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:36 am

This is such a stunning and awesome range of models. They fit nicely with the dryads and the new treeman, and are a treat to build and paint.

These are not Wood Elves, or walking trees. These ARE spirits of life, with bodies formed from organic matter and/or magic.

And Alarielle, being the actual goddess of life is radiating it, with her curves. Her bettle is also a spirit taken form, not an actual beetle, fyi.

AoS is nothing like the old fantasy, and to keep looking for it in the range, will be a pointless exercise.

But then again haters have to hate something. I can just be really happy that AoS has been the mega hit is has been, and that the future will be effing amazing.

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:10 am

marjedi wrote:
But then again haters have to hate something. I can just be really happy that AoS has been the mega hit is has been, and that the future will be effing amazing.

8-[
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

heffoman

Postby heffoman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:42 am

The beetle while a nice model, does not suit the aesthetics of the army in anyway shape or form. Trying to say it does is silly.

Alarielle or whatever her name now is a fabulous model, one of the best character models I've seen them produce in a long while. But she as well does not suit the aesthetics of the current release and she just looks so out of place on that giant tyranid beetle. Its like a bad mismash of genres.
"This is blasphemy, this is madness!"
"Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!"

Screwface

Postby Screwface » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:20 pm

heffoman wrote:The beetle while a nice model, does not suit the aesthetics of the army in anyway shape or form. Trying to say it does is silly.

Alarielle or whatever her name now is a fabulous model, one of the best character models I've seen them produce in a long while. But she as well does not suit the aesthetics of the current release and she just looks so out of place on that giant tyranid beetle. Its like a bad mismash of genres.

Doesn't suit the aesthetics of which army?

dafruk

Postby dafruk » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:33 am

Everyone is entitled to their views and all that.

Fiend's views seem to think it's all becoming a bit 40k for his tastes, personally I don't see it. If anything I feel its more WMH (but unlike WMH I like the model design) in that it's high fantasy with trees with whacking great swords & bows rather than the old treeman/treekin which were just twisted trees (and for me god awful models).

Fiend, have you tried any of the Darklands range, it's a mix of Historical and Fantasy so possibly falls more into the aesthetic you're looking for. It doesn't have the same clearly defined factions that WFB had as they're mostly based on different historical human tribes but with the appropriate myths brought to life. For the closest to the wood elves is probably the Erainn (Irish) with their tree and bog beasts.

I'm finding it really difficult to buy GW stuff at the moment but not because I don't like it. I thought the Maw Crusher was utterly beautiful and I love the Kurnos Hunters. The problem for me is the pace of change is making it very difficult for me to settle on a project I want to work on and as a result I've been stuck in a middle ground of not committing to anything and working on other games/projects instead. This is partly a problem of my own making as I had so many of the existing armies I'm not getting a clean start on anything, it's always about reworking what I have and then adding the new stuff to that rather than picking a project and hitting it cleanly.

AoS-King

Postby AoS-King » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:02 pm

Personally love the new models. They have a clean design and convey the factions effectively. A lot of new gamers in my area have started because the appeal of the new models and ofcourse the generals handbook.

Return to “Age of Sigmar”