Can you build units wrong?

The place to discuss the new Fantasy game of endless war

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Lampus
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Can you build units wrong?

Postby Lampus » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:07 am

Hello! I am new to this game and i just assembled my unit of plague monks. However, i realized after having them finished that i had built at least two models for every variation of plague monk there is. For example i have two bringers of the word, two plague harbringers and so on. Is it ok to build a unit like this or is it a bad idea? I really need an answer to this and have not found anything on the issue anywhere else.

Attilla

Re: Can you build units wrong?

Postby Attilla » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:28 am

Hi Lampus, and welcome to the game! :)

Plague Harbingers and Icon bearers can be as many as there are models in your unit.

The leader of the unit (singular), however, is the Bringer of the Word. You can only have one of him, carrying either the Plague Scroll or the Book of Woe.

I don't think many groups will have an issue with you having to models of the Bringer, as long as you make clear which one is the actual leader before the game.
Want to play a balanced Age of Sigmar?
The PPC might be for you!

Points costs for all units and upgrades:
http://ageofwargamers.blogspot.com

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:09 pm

If you plan on playing games with your models, always look at the rules first.

Then assemble your unit, based on those rules. This is the smartest way to go about it. Many of the boxes have duplicate/optional parts that might not even be intended to be used at all, and you can indeed build your unit totally wrong. Even though many people will be okay with you using the unit, it will always look worse than a unit that has been assembled correctly.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

dafruk
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby dafruk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:49 am

Nibbles wrote:If you plan on playing games with your models, always look at the rules first.

Then assemble your unit, based on those rules. This is the smartest way to go about it. Many of the boxes have duplicate/optional parts that might not even be intended to be used at all, and you can indeed build your unit totally wrong. Even though many people will be okay with you using the unit, it will always look worse than a unit that has been assembled correctly.

Umm that's totally subjective.
1. What is correctly?
2. Whether one option or another looks better is in eye of beholder

As per responses above, AoS is trying to remove the mindset of: Unit of 10 guys with 3 command models in front rank. It encourages you to model them looking how you like, so basically it doesn't overly matter. There are different weapon options for the plague monks in the rules - 2 swords vs Sword & staff, from memory the entire unit is meant to be armed the same in this instance (check scroll to be certain) but I've not met anyone that is terribly precious about this, basically go with whatever the majority are armed with is the approach I've seen taken.

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:11 pm

dafruk wrote:
Nibbles wrote:If you plan on playing games with your models, always look at the rules first.

Umm that's totally subjective.
1. What is correctly?
2. Whether one option or another looks better is in eye of beholder

As per responses above, AoS is trying to remove the mindset of: Unit of 10 guys with 3 command models in front rank. It encourages you to model them looking how you like, so basically it doesn't overly matter. There are different weapon options for the plague monks in the rules - 2 swords vs Sword & staff, from memory the entire unit is meant to be armed the same in this instance (check scroll to be certain) but I've not met anyone that is terribly precious about this, basically go with whatever the majority are armed with is the approach I've seen taken.

That approach will in turn cause issues of its own, mostly those which result from individual casualties being removed and thus affecting the look of the unit during the game. At some point the majority might be equipped with option A when on paper the unit has option B on all its models instead. When a unit with supposedly two daggers on every model makes a charge and starts striking with a staff & dagger instead, it just looks & feels worse than if they were equipped correctly. And by correct I mean, as I meant in my above post also, correct according to the rules.

Of course this IS subjective, someone else WILL absolutely prefer that their unit counts as being equipped differently than each model physically shows; then we get into the layer of metagaming where things are made as confusing as possible on purpose, in order to gain whatever advantage there is to be gained. This in turn can create a variety of other issues & conflicts with the people you play the game with.

This is why I said that it is smartest to assemble the unit according to its rules.

Also, I think OP made his decision a while ago already Dafruk, he won't gain anything by you arguing with my opinions.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

dafruk
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby dafruk » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:36 pm

I agree there is no value to arguing with you. Equally I feel my viewpoint is as valuable to be heard as any other, I'm not here to say you're wrong, I'm here to say different viewpoints exist.

Politely if I want to keep making noise on the internet I'm going to, please don't tell me to stop.

Return to “Age of Sigmar”