Very new to Warhammer

In the dark future there is only war!

Moderators: Grimsmite, Keepers of the Peace

Haccani
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Very new to Warhammer

Postby Haccani » Fri May 26, 2017 8:56 am

I'm very new to this. I was kind of wondering how to properly get started. I also would like to know more about the way it's played.

Del Stuart

Re: Very new to Warhammer

Postby Del Stuart » Sat May 27, 2017 7:32 am

Hi!

You will be worth waiting a few weeks before fully learning the game as it is changing very soon with the new edition.

But at a basic level your models have stats that tell you how they fight and you roll dice to try and beat specific scores to do things in game
The Warhammer Forum : Warmachine section moderator

My market feedback link

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=97211

Smith Kappa

Postby Smith Kappa » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:38 pm

If I was starting new with the knowledge I have built up over the last 10 years I would do the following things to get myself started.

1. Use a discount webstore such as TripleHelix Wargames for 25% off (if you have a local distributer you can support it if you wish).
2. Choose an army you like the look of, the background story of or one that is suited to your likes such as melee, shooty, evil or good. you can find lore and backgrounds on youtube.
3. Once chosen an army you like its a good idea to start with a "Start Collecting" box set, these sets are great value for money. To save money in the future you can buy models from ebay, if they are painted your can always strip it off of them with dettol etc... An extra tip, don't buy everything you want at once model wise, it can be really off putting having piles of models to build.
4. Make sure to buy the essential tools, may I recommend 'army painter' for your pliers, hand drills and brushes. Personally I use 'Revell' for my plastic glue and highly recommend it. Also remember to buy a fist full of dice and a measuring tape.
5. You will need a rulebook and index/codex. Look up rules and models you like to inspire your next purchase.
6. Choose a colour scheme, usually there are schemes to choose from the rulebooks but its completely fine to choose your own. Personally I spray paint my men their intended colour be it yellow or blue..., I use rattle spray cans of the 'Army Painter' brand. Once they are nicely coated I pick out details such as the weapons, eyes and other things using potted paints such as 'citadel' paints. Spraying them their intended colour saves a lot of time.
7. Building your models can be daunting at first, use pliers to clip the pieces you need off of the sprues and trim the excess with your crafting knife. Stick to the instructions if unsure. Many people also trim off the mold lines as it can look ugly if you keep them once they are painted.
8. Have fun, that's what its all about :D

Smith Kappa

Postby Smith Kappa » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:44 pm

If you want to know more the way it is played, be sure to watch some "battle reports" on youtube to get a feel for the game. Though keep in mind a new edition has just been released making most of those videos out of date.

Return to “Warhammer 40.000”