Kill Team Cassius extra rules?

In the dark future there is only war!

Moderators: Grimsmite, Keepers of the Peace

Squidmaster
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Kill Team Cassius extra rules?

Postby Squidmaster » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:42 pm

I understand Kill-Team Cassius was released as a seperate box today, so I'm wondering if anyone got it and knows if it came with additional rules?
My main questions really are whether Kill_Team Cassius actually have the Deathwatch Faction, if they get to use Mission Tactics, and whether the eleveln characters in that set are viable as options in other/normal Deathwatch armies?
Anyone got any clue?
Thanks.
How many Space Marines does it take to change a lightbulb?
None. Such is the work of the tech-priests.

Lord Xcapobl
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Kill Team Cassius extra rules?

Postby Lord Xcapobl » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:43 pm

Hi there,

https://www.games-workshop.com/resource ... tch-en.pdf
This is your link, as found on the Games Workshop website, detailing all the named Space Marine characters from the Deathwatch Overkill boxed set to be used in Warhammer 40K. I couldn´t find any faction (other than the fact that these are Space Marines, and therefore should just belong to the Armies of the Imperium), and these rules don't mention the Mission Tactics rules.
I don't know if the separate Killteam Cassius box has rules in it, and if it does, whether they are the same as the webbased rules, or different yet. I got the models through the Deathwatch Overkill boxed game.

In a way, you can add these models to your fights using the Deathwatch codex. There are a few differences though. In the Codex, there are no named characters. Squad Donatus from the rules I found on the website are just a Veterans Troops choice in the codex, with a specific selection of weapons and other wargear. And then there are still differences. For example, Garran Branatar is the Terminator. In the webbased rules, he has Flamecraft as a special rule. The codex Terminators have no way to get this, currently. The webbased rules clearly added something to Garran that makes him stand out as a Salamanders Terminator, which the more generic Terminators from the codex cannot have. Other interesting note, the Killteam Cassius formation from the webbased rules contains all eleven models. Your average Killteam formation from the codex seems to always be restricted to ten models total (excluding transports).

So, when you get the Killteam Cassius box, you can either use them as portrayed in the webbased rules (or any rules in the separate box if they are in there), or just analyse them, use the codex to determine which weapons and other gear the models use, and use those rules, keeping in mind there will be differences.
The only dumb question is the one you never asked, for you will never have an answer to it.

Squidmaster
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Squidmaster » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:11 am

Oh yeah, I know all of that, and have those rules already.

My main question is that the rules for Kill Team Cassius don't give them a Faction. They are not explicitly of the Deathwatch Faction, so at the moment CAN'T be part of a Deathwatch Detachment. Without being given that Faction, they're a bit in the void.
How many Space Marines does it take to change a lightbulb?
None. Such is the work of the tech-priests.

Lord Xcapobl
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Postby Lord Xcapobl » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:17 am

My best guess would be to just talk to your opponent. One thing we have going for us, is the fact that both the webbased rules and the Deathwatch codex show the same Deathwatch icon over the names of the models, units, and formations on the datasheets. Makes a good arguement for saying they are all the same faction.

I know I wouldn't mind if you took the named characters from the web rules into a regular game using the Deathwatch codex. Yes, the web rules for Edryc Setorax have some extra rules (Strike from the shadows, Winged deliverance) which a generic Vanguard Veteran with the same equipment doesn't have, while both cost 35 points. On the other hand, the web rules Edryc is a character (and not even one with the Independent Character rule, so if he joins a squad his Look Out, Sir rols would be worse). And the web rules don't mention him being part of any squad or formation or anything. He is just one 1-Wound Elite slot. The same goes for the rest of the rules/models. Look at the different Psychic Power option between Jensus Natorian from the web rules, and the generic Deathwatch Librarian. There are both advantages, and disadvantages here.
The only dumb question is the one you never asked, for you will never have an answer to it.

Return to “Warhammer 40.000”