In the dark future there is only war!

Moderators: Grimsmite, Keepers of the Peace

crosc002
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Looking to get back into 40K - Tips?

Postby crosc002 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:17 am

Hi all,

I have been away from 40k for a good 7-8 years now and am looking to get back into the game. I have a couple of questions to put forward to the community;

1) Is there a better/best army in the meta game at the moment? I know this is an open question as all armies have pros and cons. I do know, however, that armies like Orks or Dark Eldar don't do too well in tournaments (Or at least they didn't when I was playing ultramarines way back when), but am more looking to see what the top ranked armies are at the moment ( I hear Tau are doing quite well atm)

2) I have limited funds atm, where is the best place to source models from? GW obviously is one, but their prices were (and are?) extortionate when I last played. Ebay is obviously an option. Along the same lines, is there a forum for people trying to get out of the game and looking to get rid of their armies or even someone who is willing to donate? (Long shot, I know! :P )

3)What is the community like at the moment? Stronger/weaker than ~2010? More people playing? I'm from Windsor, Berkshire so am wondering if the GW's close to me are popular or if there are any seperate clubs?

Thanks for your time, hope to be on here alot more frequently from here on out :)

Charlie

Gaz Taylor
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Looking to get back into 40K - Tips?

Postby Gaz Taylor » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:29 am

crosc002 wrote:1) Is there a better/best army in the meta game at the moment? I know this is an open question as all armies have pros and cons. I do know, however, that armies like Orks or Dark Eldar don't do too well in tournaments (Or at least they didn't when I was playing ultramarines way back when), but am more looking to see what the top ranked armies are at the moment ( I hear Tau are doing quite well atm)

I've not looked at the meta recently but I don't think it's changed too much from Eldar, Tau and Space Marines.

2) I have limited funds atm, where is the best place to source models from? GW obviously is one, but their prices were (and are?) extortionate when I last played. Ebay is obviously an option. Along the same lines, is there a forum for people trying to get out of the game and looking to get rid of their armies or even someone who is willing to donate? (Long shot, I know! :P )

I would say look on eBay or visit some online retailers.

3)What is the community like at the moment? Stronger/weaker than ~2010? More people playing? I'm from Windsor, Berkshire so am wondering if the GW's close to me are popular or if there are any seperate clubs?

The community is still quite strong. The club I frequent a lot plays mostly 40K with some other games going on and the club is quite active on the tournament scene. I think best bet is to try and find a local club so you can see what the locals are like or just play a tournaments but move around the country?

Return to “Warhammer 40.000”