Plague Drone base size?

In the dark future there is only war!

Moderators: Grimsmite, Keepers of the Peace

nurgleonbass
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Plague Drone base size?

Postby nurgleonbass » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:21 am

Anyone know what size the Plague Drone flying base is? I'm converting my own and not sure what to put them on.

As an aside does it actually matter what size they are on? I'm guessing it will have some effect on game play but with models on flying stands it seems to be the norm to use the model rather than the base for in game effects. Perhaps that is wrong?
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Proud to be a member of the Bristol Big 'Uns

Joey Cage
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Plague Drone base size?

Postby Joey Cage » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:29 am

I would be imagining terminator size bases.

Mannahnin

Postby Mannahnin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:32 am

They're on the large flying base. They're quite big. Much bigger than terminators.

I'm guessing it will have some effect on game play but with models on flying stands it seems to be the norm to use the model rather than the base for in game effects. Perhaps that is wrong?

I think you've misunderstood the rules on flying bases a bit; for SKIMMERS you ignore the base and just measure to the hull like any other vehicle, except for one or two specific and limited purposes listed in the skimmer rules (you can assault their base if the hull is too high for you to reach, and I think there may be one other thing). For all non-vehicle models, you always measure to/from the base.

nurgleonbass
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby nurgleonbass » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:38 am

I've done a bit of research and apparently a large flying base is 55mm while a small is 30mm. Bizarre. Why not just use 25mm and 40/60mm? Mind this is GW we are talking about.

Thanks for the clarification Mannahnin.
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Proud to be a member of the Bristol Big 'Uns

Pssyche

Postby Pssyche » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:36 pm

With regards to Flying Bases in general, they can be used to effectively block an opponent's Movement.
Your opponent cannot finish his movement within one inch of one of your model's bases.
So by careful placement of a Flyer you can make it almost impossible for an opponent to Move into Assault Range of one of your key Units.

It's a risky ploy, I know, but as an Eldar player my Flyers get to Turn 90*, Move, Turn 90* and I have used it to tremendous effect.

scalebug

Postby scalebug » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:31 pm

nurgleonbass wrote:I've done a bit of research and apparently a large flying base is 55mm while a small is 30mm. Bizarre. Why not just use 25mm and 40/60mm? Mind this is GW we are talking about.

Thanks for the clarification Mannahnin.

Real world physics rather than rules...

The original GW clear plastic flying stand was a 25mm hexagon cupola of the same type used for displaying model aircraft. The last model to come with that would (I guess, gamehobby.net that kept a comprehensive index of white dwarfs and releases seems to have closed shop) have been the first production runs of the plastic Eldar Jetbike (ca 1994).

And the first 40K models on the current "small" flying base were the 2nd ed Gargoyles. Large flying stands came around with the Ravenwing Landspeeders (and things like Warhawk and Terradon riders in Warhammer, where it was never actually touched in the rules how to handle them being on round bases...) in '95 or '96.

Back then, models were metal, and when balancing something heavy high up, that little extra area gives you a bit more stability, while keeping it reasonably close to the 25mm standard base. Probably a fair bit of testing and trial and error gone into it before setting the 30mm base (might be 28, don't have one to measure in front of me) as a standard.

Big flying bases (60mm) then being a result of further need for stability, Landspeeders were the same

Then they started to produce flat bases the same size as the large flying stand, for use with large monsters and dreadnoughts which had previously gone on square bases, originally 40mm, then 50mm when that size base was designed, starting with the Greater Daemons in 1995 (or '96). Still 60mm across, but only half as thick as a regular base.

Then in 200X they designed a new "extra large" base, more in line with the regular basic ones. It became another 5mm wider, because of the added beveled sides. Logically, it's a choice between cutting on the top area, or adding to the bottom. Seems they decided to keep the top 60mm across. This base is what a lot of people use, to keep their bases uniform (with the same edges), drilling a hole for the flying stand stem in the middle, and ignoring the extra few millimeters, it's not going to have an impact on the game, really.

ghost49x

Postby ghost49x » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:27 pm

The Plague Drones are on the large flying (60mm) base. While you can, please don't be a douche bag and take advantage of larger bases for movement blocking shenanigans.

Return to “Warhammer 40.000”