Rules Clarifications

Latest news and chat from the X-Wing side event European Team Championship.

Moderators: ETC moderators, Keepers of the Peace

salnihra
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Rules Clarifications

Postby salnihra » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:06 pm

Fellow Pilots,

As we are moving to the registration phase, I'm very happy to actually see that IT IS HAPPENING!! A big dream is coming true for sure :)

Great team work has made it happen so thanks a lot for everyone who supported us!

I wanted to clarify a few points in the rule set:

1) Tournament Format:

As of now we have 8 teams coming to the tournament. If the number of participating teams does not exceed 10, we will have the ETC event in a round robin format, where every participant team will play each other without using the Swiss pairing system.

Obviously the number of matches will be equal to the number of teams hence we might have more time to get to know each other and exchange war stories.

2) FAQ date synchronization

The FAQ valid today will be frozen for the tournament. So FAQ v4.1.2 will be our Bible, we do not want any team to be penalized if FFG comes up with new rulings that were not available during list building.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.c ... q_v412.pdf

Cheers! :)
Last edited by salnihra on Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halil Kardicali
X-Wing ETC Team Turkey 2016 - Captain
X-Wing ETC 2016 Game Master

Marcellvs

Re: Rules Clarifications

Postby Marcellvs » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:59 am

We're all very excited for this ETC event and hope to have a great time in Athens!!!

On the other hand, we'd like to know why the pairing system has changed without asking or noticing the teams captains and AFTER sending all squad lists.

This "new" system changed the strategy and leaves less "surprises" to the pairings. It should have been notified before, because some lists could be completely different.

I don't know how other captains feel about this but I find it very disrespectful for the teams and not in the direction of ETC events.
I'm not saying the pairing system is wrong (this is the one used in 40k and the other system is the one used in 9thAge/Warhammer), I'm just pointing out that it should have been consulted or notified properly.

Copy-Paste of the original pairing system from the RULESPACK PDF published 31/05/2016

The Teams will be paired using the following system:
1. Team A and Team B simultaneously put up one of their 6 squads.
2. Team A puts up two squads to possibly face the one put up by Team B, Team B does the same.
3. Team A chooses one of the two squads put up by Team B to be played against the squad first put up by team A and determines that pairing, Team B does the same.
4. The squads that did not get chosen return to the team pool.

5. Team A and B simultaneously put up one if their 4 remaining squads

6. Team A puts up two squads against the one put up by Team B, Team B does the
same.
7. Team A chooses one of the two squads put up by Team B to be played against the squad first put up by team A, Team B does the same.
8. The squad of Team A that did not get chosen by team B plays against the last squad remaining in the pool of Team B. The squad of Team B that did not get chosen by team B plays against the last squad remaining in the pool of Team A.
Once the pairings are done the players move to their tables and proceed with deployment.

IMHO
=================================================
X-Wing ETC Team Spain 2016 - Captain
X-Wing ETC Team Spain 2017 - Captain
Our twitter: @TeamSpainXwing
Member of Petreos the biggest X-Wing community
in Valencia https://www.facebook.com/PetreosValencia/

jagosaja

Postby jagosaja » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:33 am

Hi Marcello.

I understand the frustration. Perhaps it was put a bit too exclusive that the ruleset has been changed. Take this as a suggestion for pairing instead of changing it, if it is difficult to implement the system that was suggested in May, you may implement a new solution. I prefer the system from rulespack as I have played it like that before, but as some find it rather confusing, a new pairing system is suggested which is a slight modification of the one in rulespack. In other words, both systems can be used, we are just trying to make this first time easier for everybody. No disrespect was intended and I hope that we will all enjoy the tournament.

Best regards
WFB ETC Team Serbia 2013 - Vampire Counts
WFB ETC Team Serbia 2014 - Vampire Counts
WFB ETC Team Serbia 2015 - Beastmen
X-Wing ETC 2016 member of Rules Committee
X-Wing ETC Team Serbia 2016 - Captain
X-Wing ETC Team Serbia 2017 - Captain

Marcellvs

Postby Marcellvs » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:50 am

I understand it can be difficult the first time you read how it goes, but once you sit down with your Team and do an example is quite easy.
If this is a final decision we accept it, but it should have been announced before sending the lists.
Also the system we all use must be the same, you cannot say "both systems can be used" [-X They are too different to allow them both...

salnihra

Postby salnihra » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:30 am

Hello Marcello,

This was not meant as a disrespect to any of the players or teams and it is very disheartening if it was received this way.

There are inherent difficulties to launching a non-existent gaming system in to the ETC. We have been trying to do our best, with our best intentions... Our aim is to organize and run a great FIRST time event in order to cement X-wing's place in the ETC and to ensure that it fosters in the upcoming years. This unfortunately comes with trial and error... as we are trying to find the best rule set that would suit X-wing. The "newly" suggested pairing system seemed more easy to understand and implement hence, in an effort to make everything easier as we play, I got enthusiastic.

I agree that communication should have been better, it is an error on my part and I apologize. We do not want any teams to be at disadvantage and if you feel that your overall strategy has been affected, it shouldn't be implemented at this stage. I will therefore retract "point 3" from the original post.
Halil Kardicali

warmaster91

Postby warmaster91 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:57 pm

New FAQ today, is that on play for the tournament ?

Looks like mainly clarification and no major changes

Oli -wales captain

warmaster91

Postby warmaster91 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:00 pm

Actually BIG change, overclocked no longer generates a target lock when you spend a focus with deadeye. That is a really big deal with jump masters and messes up quite a few scum lists...

pizzaguardian

Postby pizzaguardian » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:20 pm

warmaster91 wrote:Actually BIG change, overclocked no longer generates a target lock when you spend a focus with deadeye. That is a really big deal with jump masters and messes up quite a few scum lists...

thats r4 aggro actually, not overclocked r4.
2018 ETC 40K Turkey Captain - ETC Chairmen
2017 ETC 40K Turkey Captain - ETC Chairmen - ESC 40K Referee - WTC Head Judge
2016 ETC 40K Turkey Captain - WTC Head Judge
2015 WTC Merc

Marcellvs

Postby Marcellvs » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Don't panic fellow pilots, we'll be using the previous FAQ [-o<

salnihra wrote:2) FAQ date synchronization

The FAQ valid today will be frozen for the tournament. So FAQ v4.1.2 will be our Bible, we do not want any team to be penalized if FFG comes up with new rulings that were not available during list building.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.c ... q_v412.pdf

Cheers! :)

salnihra

Postby salnihra » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:26 pm

The FAQ published today will not affect us. There are some serious changes which relate to timing and action usage which affect many ships, especially on the S&V side.
Halil Kardicali

Return to “X-Wing (side event)- European Team Championships”