X-wing format discussion

Latest news and chat from the X-Wing side event European Team Championship.

Moderators: ETC moderators, Keepers of the Peace

jagosaja

Re: X-wing format discussion

Postby jagosaja » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:12 pm

It has been two and a half months since there has been any discussion upon ETC rules for X-Wing tournament.

Qualifications for the national team are about to start in Serbia and I believe we should have some sort of draft version of rules so we could define qualifications. Is there any set of rules we can agree upon so that we can have a starting point?

So far we rely upon the following:
- 6 player teams, 2 of each faction
- Unique named pilots and upgrades may only appear once in a team. There can be no identical lists in a team’s roster.

We have had a league here with the following points distribution depending on the margin of victory:
0 -> 10 /10
1 -10 -> 11 /9
11-20 -> 12 /8
21-30 -> 13 /7
---
71-80 -> 18/ 2
81-90 -> 19 /1
91-100 -> 20 /0

It works fine, although we haven't had any draws or 11/9 results.

What do you think of it? Even better, can all of teams name their captains so we can establish a voting system for the ruleset?
WFB ETC Team Serbia 2013 - Vampire Counts
WFB ETC Team Serbia 2014 - Vampire Counts
WFB ETC Team Serbia 2015 - Beastmen
X-Wing ETC 2016 member of Rules Committee
X-Wing ETC Team Serbia 2016 - Captain
X-Wing ETC Team Serbia 2017 - Captain

meldon

Postby meldon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:35 pm

With this system do you get max points for wiping out your opponent (20-0) or do you still calculate points just with one side counting as losing 100?
ETC Northern Ireland 40K 2011-2013
ETC Northern Ireland Warhammer 2009-2010

Feedback Thread: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=103642

jagosaja

Postby jagosaja » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:59 pm

You still calculate the points.

M1le
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Postby M1le » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:40 pm

How about restricting the army lists in a way so that each fraction must have an army list which contains only 1-2 ships while the other fraction list must contain 3 or more ships?

This way you avoid some copy paste lists.
FOW Team Slovenia Spokesman
Team Slovenia FoW player 2015

jagosaja

Postby jagosaja » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:53 am

By the current restrictions there cannot be copy-paste lists, but I see at what you are aiming. I am afraid that your suggestion would be too hard a restriction. For example, why wouldn't a team bring a TIE swarm and a Palp-Vader-Soontir list? By your suggestion it would be prohibited. A rebel player would be forced to bring YT-1300 or YT-2400 (or Ghost in near future), and that should not be the case as there should be more freedom. Not to say that every team would, kind of, be obligated to take Brobots.

But thanks for the support, and please do come up with more suggestions because this is a movement in good direction.

Atr127

Postby Atr127 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:13 pm

Hello everyone, i'm one of the committee members in charge of picking the England team. we wont have a captain until March when our qualifiers are finished, but until then, the committee will speak for the UK team.

we recently had a large event in the UK called the UK Team Championship and the system they used was absolutely perfect.

simply put, we used the FFG system for individual games, with players getting a full win, minor win, draw or loss. we also recorded MOV for the purposes of ties later on. we then worked out which team had won more games, and that team won the round. the rounds continued with swiss scoring, for five rounds until we had one undefeated team.
draws in this system are effectively impossible, due to the MOV tie breaker, and this is a good thing. draws are incredibly undesirable for match-ups and make life needlessly complicated.

however, my main point is this
X-Wing is a finely tuned game that is actually balanced partly by the official scoring system used. if you start to mess around with individual win conditions you run a serious risk of unbalancing the game. i feel that official system is completely fit for purpose and consequently, that many of you are trying to fix something that isn't even remotely broken.

also, this system is easy to understand and virtually everyone is familiar with it already. there is no advantage to be gained by one team or another simply by virtue of gaming the system more effectively, because they might be the only ones who know it.

meldon

Postby meldon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:35 pm

I agree though I did worry that there wasn't enough variance in a 5-3-1-0 system and that the MOV would become too important however looking at it it might be ok.

I started working it out here (and then got bored)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jdxPGMaT06xNGP5o63isJ0-kz8bOrsKnx_bEieXU5Ok/edit?usp=sharing

So this might work out ok or do we want to do like Warhammer and add a min max for the first few rounds for example 24-6 being the max min you can score until the swiss system has properly started matching the correct teams against each other?
ETC Northern Ireland 40K 2011-2013
ETC Northern Ireland Warhammer 2009-2010

Feedback Thread: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=103642

Atr127

Postby Atr127 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:36 pm

as an aside, having discussed this a bit today, i'd like to suggest that in the event of not finding more than about 10-12 teams, that the event is run as a round robin, where everyone plays everyone else over two days, with the highest scoring team winning. aside from the fact that it's actually the fairest way of determining a true winner, it means that everyone gets the same value for money on the trip.

jagosaja

Postby jagosaja » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:57 pm

Welcome Atr127 :)

The main reason for a different scoring system is exactly the margin of victory. Say, we have a match between team A and team B. Team A wins 3 matches, team B wins 3. Out of those, team A scored two times a 100-0 win and one was minor win (whichever the score), but team B scored 3 major wins, say 100-75 each. By the system you have played team B wins although they actually lost by MOV. If you look at this this way, team A really has been better. What we are trying to do is place a priority on MOV. So, the emphasis is not on a win or a loss, but on a points difference.

When the tournament is not between teams but between individuals, FFG ruleset is great, nothing to complain there, but when there is a team competition, points difference really becomes important.

This is not something I have come up with, ETC is a competition that has been held for many years now, refined and finely tuned. I have participated and witnessed it to be true, no matter which game is being played.

With emphasis on MOV, lists are not being built just to win, but when losing they try to lose with the smallest margin possible. Thus you have players in a team that are there to try to win with highest MOV, while other are designed to soak up the toughest enemy list. With this in mind, pairing becomes extremely important.

By your system, it does not matter how bad you lost. Is it worse to lose 6 matches by a point each or to lose 5 matches 100-0, and to win one by a point?

That is why we are implementing a more complex points system (although it is not really complicated, the winner just divides the difference by ten, rounds up and adds 10, the loser scores 20 - winner score).

jagosaja

Postby jagosaja » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:59 pm

I have just seen your second post and completely agree on that matter.

salnihra

Postby salnihra » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:01 am

Hello Everyone,

Happy new year!

I assume that you have seen the format that has been posted in the first page of the discussion. It actually runs very similar to FFG's system and is a little cutthroat in terms of winning and losing (and the gap that may form between teams). However it has been pointed by ETC veterans that its ETC's approach that the teams should not get very steep leads in the tournament in order to keep the tournament competitive experience through it's entirety. In individual X-wing tournaments it is a common sight to see many players drop after losing a few battles in the first rounds and we would like to avoid that. I'll revise and revisit my proposal in this regard shortly.

As for each team playing with each other, I think it is a fun idea. However I would be more inclined to build a system that would work for Athens and beyond from the start, in order to ensure that X-wing becomes a staple in ETc in the future.

Cheers,

Halil
Team Captain for Turkey
Halil Kardicali
X-Wing ETC Team Turkey 2016 - Captain
X-Wing ETC 2016 Game Master

salnihra

Postby salnihra » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:50 am

Hello All,

I have revised the tournament rules, taking into consideration the sum of the comments that have been discussed so far, please take a look. Main differences from the previous version are:

1) I have added points to be gained by both players for point differences, hence there will be losing graces.
2) There is a cap for points to be accumulated in the first round to overcome lucky draws for first round by stronger teams.
3) I kept the top cut but limited to it to final four. The cut is after 6 rounds of Swiss hence each team will have plenty games to play.

As always I'm open to criticism and comments.

Cheers,

Halil

Team Captain for Turkey

Event: ETC X-wing 2016
Venue: Greece
Date: August 3-7 August 2016
Ticket Price: TBD
Timetable: TBD
Approved Waves: All models including Wave 8 (possibly)
Lists due: June ... 2016 to etcxwinglists@gmail.com

Schedule:

Details to be discussed, main principles being:
2 days of gaming.
90 minutes allocated per round.
30 minute brakes between rounds and a lunch brake on both days.

Players per Team:

6 (teams must follow the nationality requirements of the ETC Charter). A team may also include a non-playing coach/manager. The coach can be used as a substitute player, using the army of the player he replaces.

Team Restrictions:

Each team must consist of the following factions:
2 Rebels
2 Imperial
2 Scum&Villany

Unique named pilots and upgrades may only appear once in a team. There can be no identical lists in a team’s roster.

Each player must also specify which 3 obstacle he/she will use throughout the tournament in his list. Both asteroids and debris fields can be used for obstacles.

Model and upgrade card cut-off: Only models and cards released by June .., 2016 may be used. FAQs published until the date of the event will be applicable in the tournament.

Rules:

Star Wars X-wing Miniatures Game Rules of Play and all applicable Errata and FAQ’s

Pairing System:

For round one, teams will be paired randomly. For rounds 2 to 6, teams will be paired using the Swiss Chess system (i.e. 1st on the leaderboard plays 2nd, 3rd plays 4th etc.), with the exception that rematches will be avoided. Total Team Margin of Victory Score will be taken into consideration when determining rankings between teams that have the same point.

Top 4 teams after 6 round of gaming will move forward to Elimination Rounds. Pairings in the elimination rounds will be determined according to Swiss results. Top 4 teams will be seeded per their team rankings, the Team which ranked highest will be paired with the lowest ranked team, the second-highest team will be paired with the second-lowest team, and so on. A team which loses in the elimination round is removed from the bracket and the remaining teams are paired using the same system where the highest ranked team will play with the lowest ranked team until there is only one remaining team who will be proclaimed the champion.

The players will be matched up using the following system:
1. Team A puts up one if its 6 squads, Team B does the same.
2. Team A puts up two squads against the one put up by Team B, Team B does the same.
3. Team A chooses one of the two squads put up by Team B to be played against the squad first put up by team A and determines one pair, Team B does the same.
4. The squads that did not get chosen return to the team pool.
5. Team A puts up one if its 4 remaining squads, Team B does the same.
6. Team A puts up two squads against the one put up by Team B, Team B does the same.
7. Team A chooses one of the two squads put up by Team B to be played against the squad first put up by team A and determines one pair, Team B does the same.
8. The squad of Team A that did not get chosen by team B plays against the last squad remaining in the pool of Team B. The squad of Team B that did not get chosen by team B plays against the last squad remaining in the pool of Team A.
Once the parinigs are done the players move to deployment. Star Wars X-wing Miniatures Game Rules of Play and all applicable Errata and FAQ’s shall be applicable for the game rules and deployment prinicples. Each player sets forth it’s chosen obstacles to the board at the same time to form an obstacle pool of 6 Then they proceed to place them as usual, picking any of the six pieces from this pool of obstacles.

Timings:
1. Each round will last for a total of 90 (15+75) minutes. A round is divided into 15 minutes of pairings and 75 minutes of game time.
2. Any players not paired after 15 minutes should be randomly paired.
Scoring System:
The Teams will receive Match Points (MP) according to the difference of points scored within individual matches, which will be added up to determine each Team’s Round point. The MP’s will be calculated as follows:

Points /// Match Point

0-19 /// 5-----5
20-39 /// 6-----4
40-59 /// 7-----3
60-79 /// 8-----2
80-99 /// 9-----1
100 /// 10-----0

Each team can receive upto 60 Round Points from each round with the exception of the first round of the tournament. In the first round of the tournament the winning Team may not score more than 40 round points and the losing team may not score less than 20 round points.

Margin of Victory ("MoV"): At the end of each match, the player who has destroyed more squad points adds the amount by which his score exceeds his opponent’s score to 100 and records it on his or her score sheet. The player who has destroyed fewer squad points subtracts the same amount from 100 and records it on his or her score sheet.If a player destroys all of his opponent’s ships, his opponent’s squad is worth 100 squad points, even if it is worth fewer squad points to begin with. If both players destroy an identical number of squad points, each player receives a Margin of Victory of 100 points. If a player concedes the match, all of his remaining ships are destroyed.

The MP’s and MoV scored in each game are added to team's score. The leaderboard will be sorted primarily by MP’s, and then by MoV’s.

Courtesy and Rules:

If you feel your opponent is slow-playing, then the following procedure should be used;
1 - Ask him nicely to speed up a bit.
2 - Tell your captain, who should speak to the opposing captain who should tell the player to speed up.
3 - Inform a referee

List Submission: Captains must submit their team's rosters by 23:59 (CET) on ../../16. Lists should be emailed to etcxwinglists@gmail.com. The lists should include the following information:
- Player's name
- Player's team
- Faction
- The details of each ship, pilot and upgrade cards.

After the deadline, all the rosters will be distributed to each captain who submitted his team's lists on time. The lists will be checked by the X-wing Captains' Council, and any necessary changes made ASAP with minimal changes to the list. There will be points penalties for teams that submit their lists late, or include illegal armies.

Models/Proxies: No proxies are allowed.
Halil Kardicali

jagosaja

Postby jagosaja » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:59 pm

As before, I completely agree with you proposal Salnihra.

Well, almost completely :) The only thing I'd suggest being changed is the points cap. I'd make it 45 for the top cap and 15 for bottom cap if max possible points that a team can score is 60, as I believe max 40 and min 20 is too small a gap. Also, I'd keep it in all the rounds, not just first.

Otherwise, everything is fine.

Floody2

Postby Floody2 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:00 pm

Very happy with original, from Irish perspective. Wouldn't care either way about first round cap.
Team Ireland 40k 2010
Team Ireland 40K 2011, Captain
Team Ireland 40k 2012
Team Ireland FOW 2013
Team Ireland FOW 2015
Team Ireland FOW 2017
Team Ireland X-Wing 2018, Captain

salnihra

Postby salnihra » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Hello,

I wanted to address the "lucky first draw" incidents wherein a very strong team gets randomly matched with a weak team and gets such a huge lead that it will be very hard for the other teams to catch it. Hence I put the cap to be quite restrictive. After the first round, the Swiss system will ensure that (more or less) evenly matched teams play against each other, therefore the need for further cap seemed obsolete to me. As this seems to be the only matter that is in discussion we are very close to have our format locked down :)

We will also have a (probably one day) open singles torunament which will follow standard FFG tournament ruling.

Cheers,

Halil
Halil Kardicali

Captainjacksbutt

Postby Captainjacksbutt » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi
I’m currently looking at qualifying for team England this year.

I know this could ruffle some feathers but I feel the proposed scoring system will drastically change the Meta for the event. The FFG system, for all its faults, at least allows a wider variety of builds to be run. The system that you are proposing will change the rich variety of squads back to a two or three ship meta to maximise the potential for scoring big. The system proposed is no good to four ship plus lists.

I feel that you are applying a kind of one system fits all to X Wing comparing it to Warhammer and Warhammer 40K which are totally different beasts with their poorly written rules and game balance. The ETC has done well to create a balanced team environment for these systems with all the inherent problems that they have. I have played 40K since first edition and had been active on its tournament circuit for 15 years both running and participating in events till I picked up X wing 19 months ago. I understand that Warhammer Fantasy battles at the ETC was very much ETC Warhammer and quite different to regular tournaments of Warhammer whilst the 40K version was similar to 40K but like with most 40K events the rule pack for each event dictates a lot about how you build your army.

Having looked at the numbers and looked at running a team event of some sort for my local club it is tricky. In most cases MOV is used to determine the position of players tied so you can argue swarm players will always have that against them but if you win all your games it’s not a problem.

What about simplifying the scoring?

Each round is scored out of 5 with individual matches out of 3 points.

I would suggest losing the modified win to avoid the situation in the previous example of Team A wins three games 100 – 75 each and team B wins two games 100 – 0 and a modified win of 60 - 50.

A match win is worth 3 points, a draw 1 point and a loss 0 points.

Both teams add their scores together at the end of the round and consult the chart below for the round score:

DIFFERENCE///////WINNER/////LOSER
0pointts///////////2points//////2points
1 TO 6points//////3points//////2points
7 to 12points/////4points//////1points
13+ points///////5points/////0points

MOV bonus point: total the MOV up for both teams at the end of the round. The team with the higher MOV gains 1 bonus point with the maximum round score capped at 5 points.

In the above example the round result would be a draw with team B getting the bonus point for more MOV which would provide a result of Team A 2 points, Team B 3 points.

You could retain the modified win result but if doing that I would change it so that the loser scores a share of the points. Eg. In the FFG system I would score it modified win 3 points, modified loss 2 points. In the above system maybe 2 points for modified win, 1 point for modified loss.

If you did this then Team A scores a total match score of 9 points whilst Team B would score a total match score of 8 points. this would then translate into Team A scoring 3 points for the round with team B also scoring 3 points for the round due to getting the MOV Bonus point.

You could also cap the MOV bonus as not being applicable if you score 4 round points or more, as if you win 5 out of six games you will in theory have a higher MOV. Or have it only apply to the losing team.

I feel this would help reduce the need to build small squads.

thanks

jagosaja

Postby jagosaja » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:21 am

Hello Captainjacksbutt,

Although I may be wrong, I believe you are missing the point here.

You see, at regular FFG tournaments, or for that matter at any other tournament, you have no limitations on what you may take. Still, I always see people taking different armies, sometimes one army being more present than others. But still, most are different. At the system we are proposing we are actually imposing a limitation that could stop a single country taking same armies. We are making a step further not backwards. I fail to see how you think this will decrease the variety.

You are right when you say this will change the meta. But that exactly is the idea of the team tournament. This is not supposed to be like any other tournament. People in a team are not a group of individuals, team has a tactic. If you do bring a team of six players scoring big, you may lose terribly since another team may bring lists designed to counter such lists, and pairs well against you. That is what pairing is all about, you can win or lose at pairing. That is what makes this competition interesting, a group of people "fighting" together, not each for himself. You cannot make a team of eleven strikers in soccer, they all may excel at scoring but will lose always. You need defenders, you need midfield, you need a keeper. We are trying to do the same here. It has successfully been accomplished in other systems, why not here. And believe me, it is massively fun.

The scoring system proposed enables people to bring even more different armies. When you know that if you lose by a smaller margin you will be awarded for it, you will build you army in a different way. We will not see the same armies as we do at regular competitions. Isn't that supposed to be good? Will not that bring further variety to lists?

I have not seen it in your post, or have not understood, why do you think this will force players to take 2-3 ship lists? I don't think that is the case, but would like to hear you opinion, you may be right and than we might change the rule set.

Atr127

Postby Atr127 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:44 am

it forces players to take lists that deny MOV to your opponents because the more you win by, the better you do.

X-Wing works because its basically a win/loss system. minor victory aside, it doesn't matter how much you win by, its still 5 points. this means that no list types have an advantage. a win is a win regardless. this is a good thing.

your system, which rewards crushing your opponent with minimal losses, only rewards a couple of very specific types of lists. all others become almost impossible to succeed with.

off the top of my head, the list types that would do well are:

Rebel Regen (Miranda, Poe etc)
two ship lists like Jake+Han where you can never kill either ship if your opponent has half a brain.
Double IG88 with AS/PTL (token stacks) who are very hard to take down

the list types you would kill utterly are:

any and all types of swarms
pretty much any list which includes the "easy to kill" ships like shuttles, HWKs, Z-95s, regular Ties, starvipers, M3-As...
it also dissuades people from running expensive and fragile aces, rendering imperials without any serious list building options at all!

i understand that you want to make this tournament unique, but messing with the fundamental way the game scores has a far greater impact on X-Wing than it does on a game like Fantasy or 40k. please reconsider, as there are plenty of other way to make the ETC cool and different.

jagosaja

Postby jagosaja » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:21 pm

I fully understand what you are saying. But that is where pairing kicks in. So, you place a regen list, I pair it with our regen list. Swarm plays against something else and my problem is solved, while your "killer" list failed the task of destroying my swarm and faces a match. Pairing has a very big task here, solving most of issues you are mentioning.

Don't think there are no such lists in other systems too. They exist a bit longer than X-Wing, people had more time to come up with such lists. Yet, more often than not they fail if not paired correctly.

Warhammer also works (worked, to be more precise) on a win/draw/loss system. At ETC it works differently and everything is fine.

Brobots have can openers, as do all lists you have mentioned. You will see a lot of such lists at ETC. Ultimately you will see a lot of different lists at ETC. A rational team will bring a couple of very efficient winners with flaws, and will pair their tough lists against opponents lists which can exploit such flaws. Goal of ETC is a team play, it is not just 6 guys playing against everybody except between themselves and then their points are added. That is what seems to me that you are proposing.

Then again, I believe you are trying to force a system where each list will try to win by a small margin against anything as it wouldn't actually matter how big your win is. And you are forcing this choice on everybody. So you are actually narrowing the type of lists one can bring. At least we are offering a choice to bring lists with different tasks. My system makes your lists viable, your system makes many of my lists worthless. Which offers diversity?

And please, for the half a brain remark, do Jake/Han lists ever lose? How come it has not won worlds if those guys who take them have a bit more than "half a brain"? The beauty of X-Wing is that there are no auto-win lists, not even lists that are much better than all else. There are answers to all lists, you just have to find them. And there is plenty of time until August.

herrireland

Postby herrireland » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:57 pm

hi all , I like meldons post and proposal, everyone knows the ffg system and the pairings before the round makes the ETC team event imo.

at this stage there should be a cut off on discussing the format, its year 1 for x wing, agree a format get to the etc, learn from the experience.

can everyone agree to post their final full proposal for the format then can we vote on behalf of your respective teams just to get things moving? as is its not looking to promising.

OliP186

Postby OliP186 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:47 am

Oli here, one of the Welsh team candidates.

I have a MAJOR issue with couple of things here. Firstly, round timings should be 75 minutes, and time in between rounds at maximum 15 mins. This is to ensure firstly that the round time doesn't promote slow play and secondly so the day is finished in reasonable time.

I appreciate that the teams need time to decide matchups but this should be factored in before the time on the round starts.

Secondly, the scoring system shouldn't be loaded towards more mov = more points. As has been stated above by a few people this stops people choosing more swarm based lists. It isn't mitigated by the matchup system at all as these lists will always give up mov whenever they win a game. It is almost impossible to get a 100 to 0 win with a swarm as you HAVE to sacrifice ships to kill your opponent. This means that any team flying a couple of swarms will be at an unfair disadvantage to another team.

This reduces the amount of swarms and therefore reduces diversity and the quality of the games. Which is one of the best things about the x wing miniatures game.

Dodo

Postby Dodo » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:31 am

Evening gents,
I've been following this discussion quite closely, but have yet to chime in as I wanted to see the discussion unfold.

My main concern - Why are people dead set on changing the scoring/tournament format?

In my view, tournament format should be an evolutionary thing, you try something, if it works - great, if not, tweak it. X-Wing already has quite a strong tournament structure, and while not perfect (nothing ever is), It's pretty good. I attended the UKTC (UK Tournament Champs) that featured 3 person teams, and a pairing mechanic. Team W/L was the first scoring method (W=5pts, etc), MOV the 2nd tie break and honestly - it worked.

I have yet to see any convincing arguments for moving away from this structure, the suggestions above all seem to fundamentally change the way the game is played (and balanced). I appreciate that team play is different to typical 1v1, but we should still be playing X-wing, the scoring mechanic shouldn't impact upon the meta, except as a last resort.

100% agree with 75 minute rounds a must too.

salnihra

Postby salnihra » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:51 am

Hello everyone,

A few quick clarifications:

1) Gaming time for each round is 75 minutes. The 15 minutes before gaming is dedicated only to team match-ups and not to gaming.

2) The format is still in discussion and it's great to have feedback, once all the ideas are collected it will be put on a vote. It is not our intention to change the game or unbalance any dynamics. It is undisputed that X-wing is a very well balanced game in a one to one gaming format. The ETC emphasizes the team aspect of games though and we are exploring any possibilities to make it enjoyable and competitive from this perspective. This does not mean that we will have a big diversion from the rules as they are but it does not hurt to look for new ways to play the game we know and love.

Cheers,

Halil
Halil Kardicali

jagosaja

Postby jagosaja » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Voting for the format of the tournament has begun.

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=133292&p=1578559#p1578559

Skindog

Postby Skindog » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:50 pm

Is Imperial Veterans going to be legal for the event?
X-Wing ETC 2016 England Team Captain

jagosaja

Postby jagosaja » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:33 pm

It depends. There will be a deadline for sending rosters, so if imperial veterans are released prior to that date, they will be included, otherwise not.

Skindog

Postby Skindog » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:05 am

cool cheers

jagosaja

Postby jagosaja » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:43 pm

I see there has been some misunderstanding regarding the possible introduction of a cap in a single match. It is not actually for one match but for collective team result. Here's an example - let's assume that cap for six matches which can take max 20 points from each matchup is 80 points. This means that if all players win by a 20-0 score they will not win 120 but 80 points. It also means that if all players win by 15-5 the team will not have 90 but 80 points. This enables a team to win max points even if they had one or two bad pairings and lost those two matches. This also means that with a bottom cap a bad result is not so bad.

This in total means the following - if your team happens to lose overwhelmingly it still has a chance to perform well through the entire tournament, where without cap it would lose all chances. It also prevents a team with a maximum score in one match to become unreachable. I believe this is good for the sport.

herrireland

Postby herrireland » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:01 pm

for each round just use the standard, win modified win draw loss that ffg use, total the results and the team carries the total with them to the next round.then use with mov as a tiebreaker for the final standings of the tourney.?

Skindog

Postby Skindog » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:52 pm

herrireland wrote:for each round just use the standard, win modified win draw loss that ffg use, total the results and the team carries the total with them to the next round.then use with mov as a tiebreaker for the final standings of the tourney.?

THIS^^^^

I understand the structure, regular tournaments don't have a pts cap and run fine.... If you get smashed, you get smashed....

Return to “X-Wing (side event)- European Team Championships”