Periode and version discussion for ETC 2018

Latest news and chat from the European Flames Of War Team Championship.

Moderators: ETC moderators, Keepers of the Peace

Angelfred
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Periode and version discussion for ETC 2018

Postby Angelfred » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:27 am

@Olympia : can you please elaborate on
"Given the tendency of teams to 'forget' or 'misremember' key rules (was it two top teams that mis-played the TDs this year?)"
?

Would you said there was any misintention from any team this year ?

Concerning EW, I truly believe it's way more balanced than LW.
Currently, the only "real issue" I see (and also thanks to Mr Phil rewriting his rule without thinking throu ...) is Heavy Tanks (Front Armour 6+ / Top Armour 2) which are truly a pain in the bottom to handle now Artillery is limited to max AT3, guns having a high tendency to flee, and no more possibility to surround them and beat them by simply playing smart ...

Apart from that, what are the balance issues you have for EW ?

@Sancho : same.
Does feel like there was bad sportsmanship in Salamanca ... not having witness any from our side (France) apart from "psycho play" (part of the game, no issue at all with the Teams doing it on us, up to us to be vigilant !), have to say it's difficult to answer the "post-event flaming"...

Cheers from France

Fred
Team France ETC FoW 2012/2013/2014/2015/2017

sovietpride

Postby sovietpride » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:35 am

And what do you expected Stevec?

The ETC is a lawless place... we have a rulespack that is sistematically ignored and no penalties applied.

This year we had to play against teams which have important mistakes in their lists and others that used inadecuate proxys to represent certain troops.

I also had notice of several defensive and mobile battles that ended in «draw» because they werent unable to play 8 turns... was there a penalty for slow play?

Those unscrupulous will always push the envolope abussing of the good faith of regular players and with complete concidence that they wont be penalised.
«Team Spain FoW 2014 Captain».
«Team Spain FoW 2015 Captain».
«Team Spain FoW 2017 Captain».

stevec

Postby stevec » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 am

The thing is if we have a panel to do each point which needs attention not just for the sake of it, for instance unit moral I don't like it but it is not a MUST change.

The panel provide their findings to the ETC captains if there are other things to be looked at anyone can contact the panel during the 'consultation' period with suggestions and points to look at. The findings are forwarded to bf by whatever means.

We then vote on them as a whole not point by point.

Easily done and also swift and concise so all teams can plan.

I thought the ETC this year was on the whole more friendly.

No we didn't use the TD brake and I think the teams which did should really look at that as we KNOW the rule and it was on here before.

I do agree though penalties should be put they are there for a reason. I also think that teams should be open when they see a glaring error because it leaves a bitter taste to their opponents when a loophole is found in a list and then abused, like the TDs until a firm opposition was made against it.

The ETC has always been gloves off wargaming since the first year and the attitude of one team (which on the whole has changed) which made us all stand up and take note. However I would say as we have all got to know each other over this time this has softened a lot, but there is still a hard edge where especially on voting teams vote what's best in their own interest rather than the greater good....not always but quite often.

Lynx

Postby Lynx » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:03 am

I'll try to keep it simple and don't want to offend anyone but :

Comitee, the idea was brought up by me now quite 2 weeks ago, pretty funny that now there are complaites and hard words...
So no the members are NOT "self elected" but volunteers! Sticking in their free time to get the ETC moving on smoothly from V3 to V4. If you're not happy with that no problem I don't mind, if it is for the greater good, to step back and hand over my place.
"V4 hostile" what the f***!!! Where have you seen V4 hostile people??? Concerned persons about an unclear, sometime miswritten or even contradictory rule yes, but not hostile! As far as I have read here and on the BF forum plus what has been said at the ETC there are just some concerns about how this will match (V4 + ETC)
Now having a comitee discussing these points to prevent endless discussion to end with nothing doesn't mean it is the all mighty power that will do what it want without any agreement. It has never been said what the comitee's power will be and it ain't even be a subject yet!
Regarding the 40K stuff, talk to the and ask them if they are happy with what they've done. You'll be surprised by the answer.
Now why having not everybody in the comitee? Look at our past... just as an example our very conclusive captain's meeting at the ETC... oh wait quite 1 hour for??? Oh right nothing. Seriously??? Sitting there to finally say that all has to ve voted on the forum because we can't agree, not everyone is here and so on... this leads us nowhere.
And to finish that point, we have decided to have a cycle E/M/L... look at that it hasn't last 2 years and it is already been questioned... oh my...

So try to be as much objective as you can (I mean all of us) we need to get things sorted and applied in a better/faster way. Like in sports. Look at the olymic games or any other world competition. Do every country has its word to say at any time??? Not at all. There is a board doing this job. Does this mean that they don't listen to everybody? I'm not in it so I can't say no for sure but at least we can try to have such a logic don't you think so?

I really want us to move on. The game evolved, so have we.

Cheers
Team France Flames of War - coach - 2015
Team France Flames of War - Capitain - 2017

Steven

Postby Steven » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:16 am

keeping a cycle just because that's how it was decided some years ago might also not be moving on, no?

my point is : what if BF release more brit/german MW, the italians and the ostfront for MW by the next ETC? They are allready looking into changing some things (missions). IF this happens than I think MW V4 will probably be the most balanced rulesset and period to play ETC in. Time might be the biggest issue here

regarding the council : people putting down the effort is something admirable and should be encouraged but the voting makes it possible to make it all void when the case is presented to the captains? From what I've seen in 40k the issue was that the same guys put in the effort, the same guys keep on voting it away but those voting don't put any effort in creating an atmosphere of discontentment. I think having a council is something good and captains voting should have the respect when voting to propose alternatives, it's the only way forward imo.
Last edited by Steven on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

stevec

Postby stevec » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:18 am

olympia wrote:It's not a good idea for a self-selected few individuals, most of whom are explicitly hostile to V4, to determine the nature of the ETC. We are the only system that seems to need 10+ months lead time on a rulespack. Did you know that the 40k this year went with an edition of the rules published in May? I realize that the average age of the FoW community is significantly older than the other systems but we should try to take some inspiration from our younger colleagues in 40k and embrace change.

EW or LW is a mistake, a debacle, in V4. MW is the only V4 period and we should go with it. But there's only Germans, UK, U.S., and Italians? Guess what, every team this year seemed to have the same lists--Forward Detachement, Tankovy, Brit/US infantry. Let's not fools ourselves on the diversity of lists represented at the ETC. If the community does vote on EW then we will have to comp the poop out of lists: single formation, etc. Given the tendency of teams to 'forget' or 'misremember' key rules (was it two top teams that mis-played the TDs this year?), I can only shudder when I think of all the exploits people will dream up with EW V4. This needs to be voted on by everyone as we go along, not be presented as a fait accompli rules pack.

PLEASE do not say WE used the TDs old rule. We did NOT!
I look forward to your apology.

Our team had a list which no one else took. In fact we had 3!

Mw is terrible but it will take time which the ETC has not got.

Also ew at the moment has the best v4 balance when certain things are looked at. More lists more nations than the other viable periods. Also there will be movement on it in my honest opinion which I will keep you updated on.

sovietpride

Postby sovietpride » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:56 am

From the information given by the BF delegate at the ETC, it was pretty clear that the only books that would be available for 2018 ETC (IE march next year) are the current Brit and German books, the US book and the Italian Book.

A second British book might come before summer and there arent even clear dates for the upcomming MW eastern front book.

So if we choose to play MW next year we have to asume we will only have four books available.

And BTW, if you want the «comitte» to work dont discuss it in the forum... start working and then get a chairman to put a vote when you have something to offer.

The ETC style has always been «hechos consumados».

Tito

Postby Tito » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:20 am

Steve is right, we're talking about many themes, nothing agreed on.

So please, keep calm and try to make some order.

The committee can be a good idea, don't care who is in, but at this moment is useless. Before a committee starts his work we must decide somethings.
Please stop discusssing of members, of last ETC's TD and stay on the piece.
What about ETC 2018?

I can see these as questions:

1) would do you like to hold the early-mid-late cyrcle? This means EW for ETC 2018
- Yes
- No

2) if most people want to change Period, what Period do you prefer?
- Early War
- Mid War
- Late War

3) what version do you prefer?
-V3
-V4

4) If the cycle is preferred, how many points do you prefer for EW?
- ???

5) If EW/LW wins, how do you prefer the six lists rare chosen? That doesn't have any effect on the selection of who attacks)
-2 tanks, 2 mec, 2 inf
-no limits, you can have 6 tanks or 6 inf.

6) if EW/LW wins, are we going to allow multiple formations?
-yes
-no

7) if EW/LW wins, how selecting who attacks?
- old system: tank attacks mec and inf, mec attacks inf.
-more mission used: after pairing a team have to choose who Attacks, who Manouvres, who Defends.
-more mission used: before the tournament a team has to indicate who attacks, who manouvres, who defends.

Please, discuss on the questions (surely something should be corrected) and the go forward on a vote. Today is the 18th of August, and vote need two weeks to be finished.
Really want to start the training fo this ETC.

After the vote we can start discussing about the commitee to fix some rules.
Team Italy FOW 2015
Team Italy FOW 2016

Steven

Postby Steven » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:48 am

sovietpride wrote:From the information given by the BF delegate at the ETC, it was pretty clear that the only books that would be available for 2018 ETC (IE march next year) are the current Brit and German books, the US book and the Italian Book.

A second British book might come before summer and there arent even clear dates for the upcomming MW eastern front book.

So if we choose to play MW next year we have to asume we will only have four books available.

thank you for the info!

Yegr

Postby Yegr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:28 am

Tito wrote:So please, keep calm and try to make some order.

+1
Well structured vote.

Regarding the attack manouver defence;
and attacker defender choice,
and missions I would say lets have that vote in November once everyone has enough time to test.

Rest of the votes can be done immidiately imho.
ETC 2012-2013 FoW Canada Mercenary Player
ETC 2014-2015 FoW Poland Player
ETC 2016-2017 FoW Poland Captain

Floody2

Postby Floody2 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:45 am

stevec wrote:
PLEASE do not say WE used the TDs old rule. We did NOT!
I look forward to your apology.

Nah, it was last year you cheated wasn't it?
Team Ireland 40k 2010
Team Ireland 40K 2011, Captain
Team Ireland 40k 2012
Team Ireland FOW 2013
Team Ireland FOW 2015
Team Ireland FOW 2017
Team Ireland X-Wing 2018, Captain

Jonny65
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Jonny65 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:46 am

This thread is getting a bit unwieldy, maybe it's time to split things up a bit.
2018 ETC Chairman, Mercenary for Team Scotland FoW
2015 - 2017 TNI FoW Captain (2016 on secondment to Team Canada)
2014 ETC Chairman, TNI Chairman, TNI FoW Player
2013 TNI Chairman, TNI FoW Player
2010 - 2012 TNI 40K Captain
2009 TNI WFB Captain

pizzaguardian

Postby pizzaguardian » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:52 am

GENERAL WARNING TO EVERYBDOY - BE POLITE!

For all you know forum actions might magically have Tournament penalties, who knew?
2018 ETC 40K Turkey Captain - ETC Chairmen
2017 ETC 40K Turkey Captain - ETC Chairmen - ESC 40K Referee - WTC Head Judge
2016 ETC 40K Turkey Captain - WTC Head Judge
2015 WTC Merc

Arkon

Postby Arkon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:59 am

Jesus, can we please start this f...ing version vote???
Team Greece FoW - ETC 2012 Player
Team Greece FoW - ETC 2013 Player
Team Greece FoW - ETC 2014 Player
Team Greece FoW - ETC 2015 Player and Spokesperson
Team Greece FoW - ETC 2017 Player and Spokesperson

pizzaguardian

Postby pizzaguardian » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:10 am

As long as i get a proper stable vote, i will. But every 12 hours it gets modified, so no go at the moment
2015 WTC Merc

Arkon

Postby Arkon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:41 am

A. V3
B. V4
C Team Yankee

Open vote
Team Greece FoW - ETC 2012 Player
Team Greece FoW - ETC 2013 Player
Team Greece FoW - ETC 2014 Player
Team Greece FoW - ETC 2015 Player and Spokesperson
Team Greece FoW - ETC 2017 Player and Spokesperson

Jonny65

Postby Jonny65 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:42 am

I don't think we're ready to vote on points, who attacks etc yet, so we should get the version and period vote out of the way first.

Pizzaguardian, can you go ahead and run the vote I suggested? These are things that can be decided immediately as they don't require further discussions, and they are the questions we took the poll on at the captains' meeting in Salamanca.
2009 TNI WFB Captain

Tito

Postby Tito » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:46 am

Jonny65 wrote:I don't think we're ready to vote on points, who attacks etc yet, so we should get the version and period vote out of the way first.

Pizzaguardian, can you go ahead and run the vote I suggested? These are things that can be decided immediately as they don't require further discussions, and they are the questions we took the poll on at the captains' meeting in Salamanca.

I disagree.
We can wait to vote on Who attacks but other things can be (and should be) decided now.
It's nosense having a 2 weeks vote just for decide Period and version and later have another 2 weeks vote for decide points.
We're discussing since ETC ends, seems not many people really cares, just want to know how the ETC is going to run.
Team Italy FOW 2015
Team Italy FOW 2016

pizzaguardian

Postby pizzaguardian » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:51 am

Alrighty than,

Here it is. A 3 question vote

1. Which ruleset do you want for ETC 2018?
A. v3 FoW
B. v4 FoW
C. Team Yankee

2. Do you want to discard the EW>MW>LW cycle?
A. Yes
B. No

3. If the cycle is discarded which version do you want?
A. EW
B. MW
C. LW

Obviously Q2 and Q3 would only be applicable if TY is not selected. All good?
2015 WTC Merc

Yegr

Postby Yegr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:54 am

Go for it
ETC 2012-2013 FoW Canada Mercenary Player
ETC 2014-2015 FoW Poland Player
ETC 2016-2017 FoW Poland Captain

Mongol

Postby Mongol » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:06 pm

Yegr wrote:Go for it

+
FOW Team Russia Captain 2018
FOW Team Russia 2017
WFB Team Slovenia 2015 (Legionnaire)

M1le

Postby M1le » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:08 pm

+1
FOW Team Slovenia Spokesman
Team Slovenia FoW player 2015

Tito

Postby Tito » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Better than nothing. Let's vote.
Team Italy FOW 2015
Team Italy FOW 2016

Dave A

Postby Dave A » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Steven wrote:
sovietpride wrote:From the information given by the BF delegate at the ETC, it was pretty clear that the only books that would be available for 2018 ETC (IE march next year) are the current Brit and German books, the US book and the Italian Book.

thank you for the info!

That wasn't the info I've been given by BF. They are talking 5 more books over the year but no firm timescales.
ETC 2015 Prague FOW Team New Zealand
ETC 2016 Athens FOW Team New Zealand
ETC 2017 Salamanca FOW Team New Zealand

pizzaguardian

Postby pizzaguardian » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:57 pm

I am starting the vote since no objections came up,

By charter, the vote will take min 14 days and will not end on friday, saturday or sunday.

I am keeping the vote blind to be sent to me via PM, run until September 4th.
2015 WTC Merc

sovietpride

Postby sovietpride » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:38 pm

Dave A wrote:
Steven wrote:

thank you for the info!

That wasn't the info I've been given by BF. They are talking 5 more books over the year but no firm timescales.

Well, the Italian Book, Cards and miniatures is scheduled for release on december and january... and BF sistematically delays their schedules.

Do you really think that five extra books will de released before march?

Dirkhrod

Postby Dirkhrod » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:23 pm

As Tito says, we can vote on all issues except Attacker / Defender.

Look guys, we all know 2018 is going to be a transitional year. Gamewise, it's not going to be the best ETC. The EW/LW V4 rules are a compromise, the lists are a bad compromise and so on...

BUT, it could be fun. Early War is the most suitable for this kind of transition, and if we play MW in 2018, what happens in 2019 ? Because it's obvious we won't have full options for EW/LW by 2019. So let's f*ck 2018 up, let's have fun with EW and let's have a fully competitive 2019 with MW, when all books would have been out.

So let's just decide on the best solution for exciting competitive play and let's decide as fast as we can. And then we can start thinking about lists and testing stuff that makes sense. Oh yes, rules will be abused and exploits will be aplenty, but it's the same for everybody and we all get to do it. And we'll see each other in Zagreb and laugh about stupid exploits and have a great time. There is really nothing else we can do at this moment. The gaming experience is going to stink, but it's our approach than can make it stink of rotten fish or Chanel. 2018 might be remembered as a horrible fiasco that would discourage players for 2019 and give FoW a bad name, or it can be remembered as the year we did not take everything very serious and we had fun with the transitional rules.

Also, regarding the committee, I am all for it. We all know the 5 members personally and I believe they are all distinguished members of our community. We trust them and respect them. It will be much better than having everything debated for a month before another 2 weeks are lost over a vote. And if they DO screw up, then it's definitely the best year to screw up, since it's already a mess.

Cheers,
Dan
2014 - Team Romania FOW - Captain - British Airlanding Company (LW)
2015 - Team Romania FOW - Captain - British Armoured Car Squadron (EW)
2016 - Team Romania FOW - Captain - Soviet Cossack Regiment (MW)
2017 - Team Romania FOW - Captain - British Airlanding Company (LW)

Jonny65

Postby Jonny65 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:14 am

While anarchy is always fun, I think we can do better than that :wink: . I'm sure between us we can fix the worst of the imbalances with judicious application of the banhammer, and come up with a ruleset that if not perfect, is at least approaching balance.
2009 TNI WFB Captain

Dave A

Postby Dave A » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:24 am

sovietpride wrote:
Dave A wrote:
Steven wrote:
thank you for the info!

Well, the Italian Book, Cards and miniatures is scheduled for release on december and january... and BF sistematically delays their schedules.

Do you really think that five extra books will de released before march?

Not 5 by march. 5 over the next year I was told. So two by December/jan are already confirmed (I haven't see anythng on the Avanti book date but I'll take your word for that) and another 3 by August is entirely possible.

btw I'm advocating we do MW in 2019 when we should have 7 books by August 2018 and a good idea in August 2018 of anything that is missing or just around the corner.
ETC 2015 Prague FOW Team New Zealand
ETC 2016 Athens FOW Team New Zealand
ETC 2017 Salamanca FOW Team New Zealand

sovietpride

Postby sovietpride » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Why do you confuse people with promises of book releases that arent going to come on the dates your are promising?

Its not feasible with the current BF release schedule that between march and august they release three extra MW books. Remember that on the launch year of V4 they have only released 3 books... your hipothesis means that they are going to triple the speed of their releases. That is not probable, since they are clearly going to continue to spand the TY releases and are rebooting other eras like Vietnam.

They might release the second British book arround june, which is not soon enough for ETC inclusion.

Its even unclear which are going to be the next books to be released... Second German Book, Paratroopers, Eastern Front?

Return to “FOW - European Team Championships”