What is Malifaux

Gothic, steampunk, victorian horror with a dose of the wild west, how can you go wrong

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Mike Marshall
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

What is Malifaux

Postby Mike Marshall » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:38 am

Malifaux is a 'skirmish' level (5-15 models) miniature game thats produced by Wyrd Miniatures. On their website Wyrd describe it as follows

Based in an alternate Earth, Malifaux uses gothic, steampunk, victorian horror with a dose of the wild west to inject fun and depth into the magical lawlessness of a world rife with monsters, necropunks, manmachine hybrids, gunslingers, and power-hungry politicos. Actively using character-driven stories to define the world of Malifaux, seek your fortune in this fast paced and brutal 32mm tabletop miniature skirmish game. Assemble your crew and stake your claim!

No longer do you have to trust the fickle fate of a dice roll, in Malifaux you use cards, a Fate Deck, as you lead your Crew to victory with strategy, tactics and resource management, and if that isn't enough, you can Cheat Fate. Looking for scalability? Malifaux has it. Jump directly into a Scrap with 4 - 6 miniatures, ensuring a quick and brutal fight with each character having unique skills and abilities. Want to escalate it? Take it to a Brawl, bring in additional members of your faction or hire out mercenaries to do your dirty work.
I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Mike Marshall

Re: What is Malifaux

Postby Mike Marshall » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:40 am

In Malifaux your crew (gang, army etc.) is based around a Master (think caster in Warmahordes) and your master will belong to one of 5 distinct factions. Each of these factions has a distinct archetype and each of the masters has their own distinct playstyle within that faction.

The Guild is the generalist faction and the acts as the law in Malifaux. If you like cowboys then these are the faction for you.

The Neverborn are made up of the “natives” of Malifaux. These are the demons and nightmares that inhabit this alternate world.

The Arcanists are the heavy magic users, casting powerful spells to deal damage directly or to control others.

The Resurrectionists summon or create undead minions to do their bidding. Zombies, monsters and spirits make up the majority of their minions.

Finally, the Outcasts are where all the oddball figures end up - think goblins on pigs and you wont go far wrong.

Each member of a crew is represented by a single model, and each model comes with a card that lists all its stats and abilities.
Again if you have played warmahordes then you know what you are letting yourself in for.

Wyrd have released models for nearly every available character in the game and tend to release several new figures every month.

You can normally find the release schedule on the official forums which you can find at http://wyrd-games.net/forum/index.php
I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

mythicFOX

Postby mythicFOX » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Thought I'd add a bit about the game...

A typical game uses eight to twelve models on a 3’ x 3’ board. You begin by selecting one of the five factions you want to use for the game. Most players also select the master who will lead their crew at this stage, although that’s not strictly necessary.

Next each player randomly determine a primary strategy for the game, this is worth up to 4 victory points for completion. It’s only now, knowing their objectives that you select the models which will make up your crew. So if you’ve got a strategy that requires fast objective grabbing you can change your force round to make sure you’re got some fast models. With a crew selected you then reveal it to your opponent and pick your schemes. Schemes are secondary objectives worth up to 2 victory points for completion.

The game then begins. Each turn players alternate activating and taking actions with models. Actions range from the normal moving and shooting to; Zombie Hookers undressing to distract the enemy, gremlins farting, stampeding pigs, mechanical spiders latching onto legs and giant carnivorous teddy bears learning to fly. It’s all just a typical turn in Malifaux. Once all the models in play have been activated the turn ends and another begins. After six turns the game may end, although there’s a chance of going on to play further turns based on the flip of a card.

Cards? That’s right Malifaux uses cards instead of dice, however this isn’t a cheap gimmick. Players have a hand of cards and can replace a card they flip (think of a flip like a roll) with one for their hand, this is called cheating fate in game terms. If you fail a terrifying duel at just the wrong moment and don’t want to run away screaming you can just cheat on a card high enough to pass and you’re golden. Watch out though, you only get six cards a turn and once you run out there’s no cheating for you, that’s when bad things happen.

Malifaux as a game can be initially daunting, however it is simple to learn and I’ve never met anyone that couldn’t pick it up in an hour. Mastering Malifaux is a much harder task, games can be fiercely challenging with strategy, positional play, timing, resource management, and reading the quality of an opponents hand all coming into play.

Interested? Why not look for a demo, Malifaux is being played up and down the country right now and there are a team of Henchmen (like PP Pressgangers) dotted around to help you get into the game. I'm one of them so if you need to find someone local to do you a demo drop me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction.
One of the UK Malifaux Henchmen - Ask me about Malifaux!

Tweeting about Malifaux: @mythicFOX83

Andy Przybyla

Postby Andy Przybyla » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:30 pm

http://tabletopgeeks.com/malifaux-downloads/

Wet your panties at this geeks =P~

Mike Marshall

Postby Mike Marshall » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:48 am

Slight abuse of Moderator Powers, but added 4 additional emoticons to represent some common Malifaux symbols

Code: Select all

:crow:
:crow:

:ram:
:ram:

:tome:
:tome:

:mask:
:mask:

lil tim
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby lil tim » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:39 am

=D> Alright! Nice one Mike
XXX

ETC Team Scotland 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

ukrocky

Postby ukrocky » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:49 pm

Thought I'd copy and paste here, as I just typed this all out for someone!

Sure, so we'll start with guild;

Perdita - Gunslinging, family orientated cowboy-esque. Quite fast, and shooty.

Lady Justice - She has a massive sword. That hits you. Really hard.

Sonnia Ciird - She throws fire around, from a distance, that hits areas

Hoffman - He plays like a wrecking ball, clumps together, you don't go near the ball and it's so difficult to break down.

McCabe - I'll come onto him in Ten Thunders Faction.

Lucius - The henchman of the forum. He personally doesn't do much, he orders everything else to do more, and has great synergy with Lady Justice.
The guild crews are pretty similar for the most part. They're the most straight forward faction, they deal damage and have a few tricks but not many. Hoffman is a bit different in that he takes robots over living things, and the robots are hard to kill.
So that's guild

The next faction is Ressers, they like dead things.

Seamus - He likes undead hookers. His crew is about endurance and dragging people around, whilst he shoots people, really hard.

McMourning - He summons big scary monsters, and has knives for hands.

Nicodem - He protects himself with a horde of zombies, and paraylzes stuff so it can't do anything.

Kirai - One of the best masters in the game. Also really complicated. She summons, switches, buffs spirits, fast, yeah...does everything!

Yan Lo - Ten thunders, will come back to.

Molly - Henchman. She isn't amazing, she buffs undead and has a couple tricks. Synergy with Seamus.
Ressers in general are about resilliance, and their masters are crucial to keep them working.

Arcanists - My favourite faction!

Marcus - Beastmaster, my little baby. So much to say. He's super fast, guerilla warfare, HUGE selection of minions to choose from.

Rasputina - See Sonnia, but with ice. Really slow.

Ramos - He likes robots. He's super slow and not very good until you take his avatar. You spend two turns getting his avatar out, and then he's really fast, good at summoning, and good in combat.

Collette - So tricksy. Huge synergy with her crew, lots of movement swapping, dancing around.

Mei - Ten Thunders

Kaeris - She's suprisingly similar to marcus but from range. She jumps out, shoots you with fire, and jumps back again. Good with most of the arcanist masters

Arcanists in general have a wide range of playstyles.

Neverborn - The 'filth' faction. Glass hammers.

Lilith - She does what Lady Justice does (big sword, face), but faster, better, and she lives longer.

Pandora - Totally different to anything else. She's considered a negative play experience by many, I love playing against her. She can ruin a crew by herself, if it goes well. Very mobile.

Zoraida - She manipulates your crew, summons dolls and doesn't do anything directly.

Lord Chompy Bits and the Dreamer. Guerilla warfare again, floats around the board, dropping scary models off.

Jakob Lynch - Ten Thunders

Collodi - considered one of the best models in the game. Super fast, death by a thousand cuts.

Outcasts - The rest of the stuff....

Viktorias - Sword to face style. 2 Masters that interact with one another, quite fast, quite hitty, don't take being hit well.

Hamelin - Swarm, overwhelms you with rats. lots of rats.

Som'er - Bit of a gunline, but can run a pig list as well. Great fun, you can kill yourself pretty well!

Leveticus - He kills himself by killing you. Quite complicated but works really well when yo work him out.

Von Schill - Henchman. Used by everyone. Super fast, so many abilities, so survivable, good damage output.

Ophellia - Gremlin henchwoman, super damage output and makes gremlins more reliable!

Then finally Ten Thunders...

McCabe - He rides a horse. He doesn't die, and he slows the enemy crew down so his crew can do stuff.

Mei - She jumps to constructs and whirls aorund groups of models killing them all, before hiding in steam.

Jakob - My new favourite master....he shoots things, manipulates cards, and hides behind his best buddy, Hungering Darkness, who does all the work.

Misaki - She hits things. One thing. Really hard.

Yan Lo - He gets better as things around him die, really flexible in game, difficult to start with.
ETC 2017 England 9th Age Beast Herds Player
ETC 2016 England 9th Age Captain and Vermin Swarm Player
ETC 2015 England WFB Skaven Player
ETC 2014 England WFB Dark Elf Player
ETC & ESC 2013 Scotland WFB Skaven Player

Kyuss

Postby Kyuss » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Not sure if I have missed something, but is that for 1.5?
free to run, freetorun, freedomrun, freedom run.

ninjahamster

Postby ninjahamster » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:59 pm

it is, but it's basically similar for M2E, although there's a few new masters now
Flame On!!

ronanronan

Postby ronanronan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:56 am

that is a very good data by you ....well done.......
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

Return to “Malifaux”