Starting out with the game

Gothic, steampunk, victorian horror with a dose of the wild west, how can you go wrong

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

orkpip
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Starting out with the game

Postby orkpip » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:21 pm

I am going to be picking up a crew in a couple of weeks, likely the Seamus one but wondering what else I need to get into the game and how do I know what other models to add in so I can have a variety cheers

mythicFOX

Re: Starting out with the game

Postby mythicFOX » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:15 am

Welcome to Malifaux!

You'll want a tape measure, a deck, and some spare 30mm bases to use as scheme markers.

As for how to expand your collection, some of that depends. Where/who will you be playing? Are you starting out on your own or are you joining an existing group?
One of the UK Malifaux Henchmen - Ask me about Malifaux!

Tweeting about Malifaux: @mythicFOX83

orkpip

Postby orkpip » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:42 am

Cheers for the reply, I am just going to be playing with a couple of mates to start of with, not sure after that hopefully get a few more opponents

dragonseyez

Postby dragonseyez » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:10 am

Starting out here too - have the M2E starter set, and my GF's interested in playing too, just need to settle on a crew each to get going... Hopefully find a few like-minded (i.e. not too competitive gamers around here) to play against as well.
My occasional hobby bloggings:
http://dragonsize.blogspot.co.uk/

Squidmaster
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Squidmaster » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:03 pm

When I started out, I found that all you really needed to get a crew started was a starter set, and them maybe one booster set of models (I suggest this be a set of models rather than one big model). I went with The Thunder, and then a pack of Thunder Archers. That got me sorted for a crew I could use in the game, and I could add things after that.

Beyond a crew, all you really need is a rulebook (I would suggest the small one) and a deck of cards (I would suggest a Malifaux specific one).
I would also recommend getting a few counters to stand as Scheme and Objective Markers (or Scrap/Corpse depending on what your crew needs). If you can, go for spare bases if you can get some, and maybe on spare large base as a Blast template.

That is all I would say is essential.
A Schemes and Strategies Deck is a good addition, but optional when starting out.
How many Space Marines does it take to change a lightbulb?
None. Such is the work of the tech-priests.

Maladictus

Postby Maladictus » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:17 am

There is an app called 'The Breach' that does scheme/strat generation too. Well worth downloading.
C. S. Lewis wrote:"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence."

http://backbedroom.blogspot.co.uk - My gaming blog

Return to “Malifaux”