Tips for Selling-Buying-Posting & Getting your minis safely

If you're buying or selling, this is the place for you. New members are not allowed to post their items for sale in this forum. You have been warned!

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Bugman
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Tips for Selling-Buying-Posting & Getting your minis safely

Postby Bugman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:02 pm

Hello,

Selling and Buying Minis on here is simple IF you follow a few simple rules:

Selling
  • Decent photos with full descriptions are best. Don't hide faults, be honest and don't be over generous with your wording. Short and simple.
  • Use PayPal. It's safer and fairer for everyone. Cash in hand is another good way to do buisness but not if goods arent there to swap.
  • Don't be offended if the money is not gifted, see below for why
  • Weigh your items including packaging
  • Send via a trackable courier. Royal Mail recorded delivery is okay for small items but if it gets lost, you will only get the cost back of the sale. Eg sell a tact squad for a £5 and RM loose it, you only get a £5 back
  • Sending via a trackable courier means that a trackable code is given and you get some insurance, more can be brought
  • Upload the tracking number to PayPal. Failure to do this an mean Paypal disputes go againest you even if you can later show it
    tracking
  • wrap your minis well. Bubble wrap is good with lots of balls of paper in a strong box. Remember the YouTube clip where a box falls off a lorry and gets run over before being picked up, that could be your box. Remember under PayPal your responsible for the package until it arrives at the persons house.
    tracking
  • take pictures as you pack. Everyone has a digital
    Camera somehow and can easily delete when package arrives
Good websites I have used and still use are:

http://www.royalmail.com - Single small packs and miniatures sent via 2nd class recorded. Don't pay more then £4 because....

http://www.collectplus.co.uk - £4 for a tracked 2kg parcel with £50 insurance that I can drop off at my local spar shop (Check on the website for your local particpating shop, it may be a newsagents, sparcet al) and get delivered by yodel? Very quick and my favourite choice by far. Will do up to 10kg for £8 but check your box sizing.

http://www.interparcel.com - Send it via their "interparcel" choice and at present that means being picked up by UPS with tracking and insurance. Since it goes via UPs even internationally it will be delivered by UPS in a foreign country.

http://www.parcelmonkey.con - Used a few times with various couriers and there Customer service is good. Trackable and insured.

From the above two, I always use a proper courier (UPS is my voice) Myhermes may be cheaper but I have seen a few go missing in their system

Nightlife has suggested: http://www.p4d.co.uk/ ,similar to parcel monkey above

Examples of real life posting :

40K large rulebook. Weighs a ton and I said it would cost only £3 via 1st class recorded. Silly me. Royal Mail wanted over £8 but collectplus did it for £4

High Elf Army to Spain - Too big for Royal Mail and tracked and insured by Parcel force for £45, and that's sent via Spain's notoriously slow PO. Interparcel a UPS service did it for £12 and it was delivered in 4 days and tracked all the way

Ogre Army UK - Too heavy for RM and parcelforce wanted £40. Didn't know about interparcel or collectplus but this was sent via citylink using parcelmonkey for around £23 with £500 insurance (upgrade). Was able to drop it off at the local citylink depot.

Buying
  • May sure you know what your getting and how's it's getting to you. Don't be afraid to ask for more pictures
  • Check feedback for that person. If they only have a few feedback a and/or a low post count, doesn't mean it's bad but there is a red flag waving
  • Send via PayPal, not cheque or cash or moneygram
  • DO NOT GIFT - why? If it falls through, PayPal can't refund your money. Having said that, there are several people whom I have traded with and after the initial few times, I now gift, because I know them, otherwise forget it.
  • Make sure when sending the money you say what it's for and what postage, you want it recorded with the number and make sure it's insured
  • Upon arrival, if the box is dented or broken, make sure it's noted in the signature and accepted under protest as damaged, or just refuse the package
  • check the package ASAP, leaving it for a few days seriously reduces any chance of an insurance claim

Any questions, just ask!

Bugman
Last edited by Bugman on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The largest most informative Dwarf website in the old world, covering every dwarfers needs from forum to tactics, gallery and the infamous warhammer armies: Diaries!!!!
Feedback Thread

n1ghtl1fe
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Tips for Selling-Buying-Posting & Getting your minis safely

Postby n1ghtl1fe » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:08 pm

There's always http://www.p4d.co.uk/ too as I find it depends what I'm posting and where to as to which service has the best price.

Gives you quite a few options and prices to choose from and you can pay with paypal.
The Market Feedback Thread: LINK

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:11 pm

Nice one :)
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Proud to be a member of the Bristol Big 'Uns

wardancer

Postby wardancer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:30 am

very useful mate! thank you

Chris Appleford

Postby Chris Appleford » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:30 pm

Sticky please.
@Chris_appleford

GUTTRIPPER

Postby GUTTRIPPER » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:29 pm

I've just started selling on ebay & have only used Royal mail so this will help alot me thinks :wink:

Thanks mate..
A.River
My Main Army: O&G's - 7200 Point's..

2nd Army: Chaos Warriors.
3rd Army: Skaven.

Bugman

Postby Bugman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Thread updated
http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The largest most informative Dwarf website in the old world, covering every dwarfers needs from forum to tactics, gallery and the infamous warhammer armies: Diaries!!!!
Feedback Thread

Cool Mint

Postby Cool Mint » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:10 pm

Thanks Bugman. :)

Collect+ looks good for large items but they do have one odd annoyance:

The Jiffy Bag service is for parcels being sent in either a jiffy bag or some sort of mailing bag. Please be advised the maximum size of all our parcels is 50cm x 30cm x 30cm, this would include the Jiffy Bag service. If your parcel is in a box and within the dimensions and weight of under 2kg this would be classed as the standard option. The maximum size for parcels being sent through us does need to reach the each dimensions as we can not advise on an overall dimension.

The cheapest option (£3.99) is for jiffy bags only which I find rather bizarre since they would charge £4.99 for a tiny box weighing just a few grams but only £3.99 for a jiffy bag weighing 2 kilos. Also, unlike Royal Mail they do not take odd-shaped items; the parcel has to fit within a 50x30x30cm square. That means a rolled up poster would not be accepted.

Bugman

Postby Bugman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:46 am

Not quite correct, as long as its under 2kg you can take the Jiffy bag option

Correct for rolled up posters if more the. 50cm in length

Bugman
Feedback Thread

Del Stuart

Postby Del Stuart » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:24 pm

To cover what someone else has raised

Painting is subjective , if you are buying painted items always try and get pictures.

Also a persons post count, feedback or forum standing should not exempt them from any of usual steps.

people are fickle and even myself as a moderator could rip someone off if I was that way inclined , dont leave yourself open.
The Warhammer Forum : Warmachine section moderator

My market feedback link

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=97211

Return to “The Market”