Blue Stuff

This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

ramicyprus

Blue Stuff

Postby ramicyprus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi Guys, I recently purchased myself some blue stuff, love the potential it has. Im already experimenting with it, made a mold of a tomb king skull head and it came out great.

What I would like to know is your experiences with the stuff, tips and tricks and such. especially, how is the best way to cast a piece that you want both sides of. (So far its quite easy to make a cast of a piece with one side, the other coming out flat).
Also, what to do with pieces that have bits sticking out and you need the blue stuff to go underneath it. is it feasible or do i have to butcher the piece so its 'cast friendly',

thanks for any advice!

Chris Appleford
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Blue Stuff

Postby Chris Appleford » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:29 pm

What is 'blue stuff'?
@Chris_appleford

GerryB
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby GerryB » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Like " green stuff " only blue ??? :8)
Romani Ite Domum

Feedback Thread............. viewtopic.php?f=68&t=97926

snowblizz

Postby snowblizz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:32 pm

What you need is to make a two part mould I'd say. Unfortunately that's A LOT trickier than a one piece mould.
Essentially instead of butchering the piece you need to butcher the mould.

Luckily for you most pieces are cast and so at some point have had to deal with this. So to some degree are already mould friendly.
In short in my opinion the new codex is an elaborate way to say "you can have any kind of Chaos army as long as it is black..."

Ceterum censeo Codicem Chaotis delendam esse.

WarFoundry armylist application(cross-platform, multi-system and open source)
WarFoundry datafile group

bobzebub

Postby bobzebub » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:44 pm

is your blue stuff Oyumaru Reusable Modelling Compound? use talc or vegetable oil as a release agent can help, although normally its fine, ive used it well with left over fast casting resin, green stuff and milliput. Milliput is probably best as it files and cuts easily. Not bothered with a two part mould yet my self as its a pain in the @z ! if i were to try i would...

make a lego box, push the Oyumaru into the box when it was soft so it was pretty flat, then quickly push the object in to half way and make a few location lugs, then when that was set push in a new layer of Oyumaru! Bam, 2 part mould. Push loads of milliput into both halves then squash it together. good luck :)

ramicyprus

Postby ramicyprus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:25 pm

its actually labeled 'blu-stuff'. i got it from here...www.blu-stuff.com. heard about it at the tomb king forum so i thought id give it a shot. its actually really useful because its so easy to use. just get equal parts of the two components, and it hardens after 3 minutes of mixing it together! primarily its used to cast something, and then you would use green stuff or milliput or other thing for the copies. And most convenient thing about it is you dont need a release agent. green stuff doesnt stick to it.

I experimented with it tonight, trying out a few different methods. the one piece mould is easiest, especiallly if the piece is 'cast friendly' and you just need one side. and if not, its worth butchering to get two pieces with flat sides that you can later glue together. Did that for my tomb king skull and it came out great. (sorry, no camera atm, traded it for a cd repair kit :? )

but the real challenge is two sided moulding. i think im getting the hang of it, will try out your suggestion bobzebub and use something between the two halves so they dont stick together, like oil, vaseline or talc perhaps.

bobzebub

Postby bobzebub » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:12 am

oh, okay! That's pretty different but the theory is still the same :) like this video is what i was rambling about, its not perfect but i think you'll get the gist of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhvIkuJgY9Y&feature=related

snowblizz

Postby snowblizz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:27 am

bobzebub wrote:oh, okay! That's pretty different but the theory is still the same :) like this video is what i was rambling about, its not perfect but i think you'll get the gist of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhvIkuJgY9Y&feature=related

Ha! That's one of our guys down at the Bunker. Been experimenting a bit myself but I just don't have the patience or stuff for it.

The greenstuff or other epoxy just ain't doing it. I'm realizing something that can be poured might do the trick but then we get into a whole other ballpark of trickyness.
In short in my opinion the new codex is an elaborate way to say "you can have any kind of Chaos army as long as it is black..."

general25

Postby general25 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:18 am

Try TOMPS:mold making supplies. RTV silicone mold is what I use and is cheap I think you can get some for £10 and it goes a long way.
Here is a link:

http://www.tomps.com/shop/-c-1_7_50.html

Here is a good step by step quide to mold making

http://www.b9robotresource.com/molding1.htm

ramicyprus

Postby ramicyprus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:53 pm

I guess if i want to get serious im going to have to get into the liquid mould making party. It is quite messy and a hassle compared to this blu-stuff though, but a much better solution for larger pieces or whole miniatures.

Im going to rummage through the attic and bring out my old lego pieces...yoohoo, finally that insane collection comes back to life with grown up usefullness :) :oops:

Also maybe i can use some playdo for moulding clay to hold a piece in place halfway.

Cool thanks for the links and the suggestions guys, will post some pics when i get a camera!

snowblizz

Postby snowblizz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:38 am

ramicyprus wrote:Im going to rummage through the attic and bring out my old lego pieces...yoohoo, finally that insane collection comes back to life with grown up usefullness :) :oops:

EXACTLY what I did. :mrgreen: Glad my parents decided they'd save everything in case of grandchildren.

bfleeson
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Postby bfleeson » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi all!
Be aware that blue stuff (from Green Stuff World ) is not the same as blustuff ( from blustuff com )

Not tried blustuff, but recently found Blue Stuff from You-Tube vids.

To create 2 part molds
- melt Blue Stuff in pan of boiling water
- Place blob of Blue Stuff on hard surface.
- press part half way into blob.
- work edges so Blue Stuff makes a nice sharp edge against the part.
- cool blue stuff with part still in (under cold water, or in cup of cold water)
- Chop off excess blue stuff to make nice sharp edges.
- Melt more blue stuff.
- make another blob.
- mold blob over top half of part and bottom blue stuff mold so that new blob laps over sharp edges.
- cool new blob.
- when cool through to the center part 2 blob halfs.

Wrapping the top blob over the lower one makes it easier to align two halfs when casting.

You all are just reproducing your own creations right? I am sure that copying GW parts breaks copy right just as much as photocopying rule books does. :-)

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”