This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

AnnieAnnie
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

I need a good desk lamp

Postby AnnieAnnie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:34 am

Hola!

I've accepted that most of my painting is going to happen in the evenings now, so I'm looking for a good lamp.

I hate hate hate painting by lamp, so I'm after one with a powerful but diffused daylight glow,

so yeah... advice please! No idea of budget, I guess I'm a bit poor, but don't want to skimp out on a crappy one either

Cheers in advance
Annie
Sleboda wrote:Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

@TheDiceBagLady @naenannie
Professional K'Daai trainer, Chaos Gnome Lasher and The Dice Bag Lady, as seen on Bad Dice, Heelanhammer and clubs worldwide. Save P&P if you pick up at a tournament.

v3n0m-RzR
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Re: I need a good desk lamp

Postby v3n0m-RzR » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:13 am

Pick a flexible lamp from Argos, Tesco etc and replace the bulb with a daylight bulb readily available from Homebase, B&Q. I find they have a bit of a weird blue tinge but still worth a look
Watford Dirty Wizard

Kara Swole

Postby Kara Swole » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:45 am

Hey,

I did exactly the same :D lamp with a flexi arm from B&Q and a daylight bulb from ebay. Works great but make sure to rest your eyes, even at 40 watt (energy saving equivalent) its bright enough to tax your eyes so take regular breaks.

Stu
2010 Fail
2011 B:178 P:746 :D
2012 B:243 P:325 +3 Large
2013 B:190 P:355 +20 Large +2 Super heavy
2014 B:65+4Large P: 85+4 Large

http://www.LongFangArmaments.blogspot.com
On the blog... A gaggle of wyverns. . .
My feedback thread...
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=103645

OldFogey

Postby OldFogey » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:46 am

The one I bought recently, a floor lamp, can be positioned right behind your shoulder, light just where you need it. It's available on amazon, the price is up and down, currently around £50, sometimes £40 and if you are really lucky (like I was :mrgreen: ), it can go as low as £30. Probably the best lamp I have had to date, only had it a month, so cannot comment on longevity.

LINK

Sherlocko

Postby Sherlocko » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:51 am

I have just a couple of spot lights. I really feel that it is so nice to not having to chase the light when painting so multiple cheap lamps might be something to consider. :)

spikyjames

Postby spikyjames » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:27 pm

I bought a daylight strip lamp off of eBay for around £60, I love it, can't really fault it in any way. I'll see if I can find it and post a link later, certainly one of the best hobby investments I've made recently.

James

tiswas

Postby tiswas » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:54 pm

These are good daylight lamps

http://cpc.farnell.com/daylight/dn1040/lamp-magnifying-table/dp/LA03250?in_merch=Products%20From%20This%20Range

Just noticed it was the wrong lamp the one I have is from a company called lightcraft.

mark
Last edited by tiswas on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldFogey

Postby OldFogey » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Don't think they are. You would have to bend right over to see through that, not good for your back.

GumbaFish

Postby GumbaFish » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:38 pm

I use a flourescent light intended for drafting, the manufacturer is Alvin but from what I can tell there are a lot of very similar models. I will say mine is all metal so its very solid. I replaced the stock tubes with some natural light ones and I like it a lot. The main reason I went flourescent is I got really hot under a traditional lamp with daylight bulbs during the summer, and I like the way my light illuminates my whole table instead of just a fine point.

My club 200 log (Mostly circle orboros)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=125765&p=1492457#p1492457

Cool Mint

Postby Cool Mint » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:03 pm

That one looks pretty good. One thing I can tell you from experience is that you will either need one big lamp or at least two smaller ones. You'd be surprised how much light you need just to be able to see what you are doing.

spikyjames

Postby spikyjames » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:24 pm

Yeah, what Gumbafish has posted is pretty much what I've got.

The first one on this page- http://www.magnifyingglasses.co.uk/acat ... ights.html
Mine came with a heavy base and a clamp for fitting it to a table.

see here- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daylight-PL-D ... 27b2d6580b

I swear by it, probably couldn't be without it now :D

James
Last edited by spikyjames on Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harfoot

Postby Harfoot » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:54 pm

I have tried day light bulbs and never liked the type of light, i use 2 Ikea spot lights, £10.00 each and are really good, figures look the same in daylight as the spot lights.

GooberNumber9

Postby GooberNumber9 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:04 pm

I find the shadows too harsh and inconvenient when I only use one light. I was happy with two for a while, now I have a primary above, two fills from the sides, and then a torchier bouncing off the ceiling. I guess my advice is to get two good desk lamps. For fiddly work I often put a white piece of paper underneath to get a little more light bouncing back up from below. I've never had too much light.
Dear Game Designer,
Rock is broken, and needs serious work. Paper is fine, no adjustments needed.
Regards,
Scissors

[Fiend]

Postby [Fiend] » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:43 pm

I got one of these with the default bulb. Works fine for me:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/produ ... #/90128805
~
"And I've never held a pewter model in my hands and thought, "If only this were more detailed.""
Now with 50% bonus laziness - I paint a few figures a year..
~

Harfoot

Postby Harfoot » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:58 pm

GooberNumber9 wrote:I find the shadows too harsh and inconvenient when I only use one light. I was happy with two for a while, now I have a primary above, two fills from the sides, and then a torchier bouncing off the ceiling. I guess my advice is to get two good desk lamps. For fiddly work I often put a white piece of paper underneath to get a little more light bouncing back up from below. I've never had too much light.

Wow would not want your electric bill :lol:

GooberNumber9

Postby GooberNumber9 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:12 pm

I have a computer with a 400 Watt power supply. 6 CFL bulbs running at 10 - 20 Watts each is not noticable in terms of power consumption compared to everything else. Clothes dryer? Heat Pump? Refrigerator? Light bulbs are a drop in the bucket.
Dear Game Designer,
Rock is broken, and needs serious work. Paper is fine, no adjustments needed.
Regards,
Scissors

Lorenz0

Postby Lorenz0 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:55 am

Apologies for the thread jack, but its an almost related question - does anyone have any recomendations for a low noise/ low rating fan to help dry things quicker - or will I just stick a high wattage bulb in one of the lamps above??

I used to put the hairdryer to my minis back in the day, but things have moved on from the mid 90's (for a start I no longer need a hairdryer :( )

antonylex

Postby antonylex » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:54 am

Maybe you can find something like that Alvin lamp @GumbaFish is using. It should be that long and broad enough to give off even light on your painting. However, if you can, avoid fluorescent. They tend to emit more UVA and UVB and if you spend hours every night drawing in the light, it could be harmful to your skin. LED and incandescent are much safer in this respect. I always opt for LED - they may cost more at first, but they save energy and also doesn't feel that hot after a couple hours.

You can give the BenQ eReading lamp a try. It's designed for working on electronic screens without glare, so I figure it may also reduce glare on a painting in the same way. The lamp looks very sturdy and it has flexible arm and head. Light quality is superb, with adjustable brightness and color temperature (it has the daylight glow you're looking for, and also other shades between blue and yellow). But it could be a problem if your budget is humble, because it costs about EUR160, and even more if you buy a clamp (its base is too big).

You can find information about the lamp on BenQ website, or see the reviews here https://www.hookedtobooks.com/best-desk-lamps/, or http://www.businessinsider.com/best-desk-lamp/

Quendil

Postby Quendil » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:36 am

Quendil

Market Feedback from 2012 http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=97214

Must paint, must paint, must paint

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”