GC XII Warriors of Chaos - Will it never end!

This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

UberTek
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

GC XII Warriors of Chaos - Will it never end!

Postby UberTek » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:50 pm

This is my 7th Chaos army, and the first one for 7th edition. I seem to have missed out on most of 7th. :oops:

Slaanesh mostly, more fluffy than competitive and based more on foot sloggers than I gather would be "effective" :lol:

I have lots of ideas running through my little warped brain, but nothing cohesive, so expect a bit of randomness.

I've bought a few things for conversion, like Hoplon shields, Corinthian helms, and halberds, all heavily stylised. I love ancient Greek history and mythology so expect to see lots of referrals to historic, but mostly mythological imagery. Think Harryhausen and you won't go far wrong.

Anyway I want to try out a colour scheme, and not being very original I've gone for some of my favourite colours. Violet and Turquoise.

Anyway here is the first Hero, converted from an old Chaos champion I had in my bits box.

Last edited by UberTek on Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lawrence
salute.co.uk
minipainter.co.uk
"Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no. "
J. R. R. T.
Malifaux Neverborn
GC XII Warriors of Chaos
Iyanden Eldar Blog Thingy

Feeback Thread

Raus

Re: GC XII Warriors of Chaos

Postby Raus » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:02 pm

=D>

Borzag

Postby Borzag » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:05 pm

Very nice, love the freehand on the shield!

Chranos

Postby Chranos » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:55 pm

Great looking shield, might rip it off for my shield of the gorgon.
Primarch, Progenitor for your glory and the glory of Him on earth.

My painting Blog

Progress 2011:
Bought: 53 Painted: 201

Reiks

Postby Reiks » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:15 pm

Wow. I just keep scrolling up and down :) it looks wonderful. how'd you make the base?

Ryszard

Postby Ryszard » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:16 pm

Great figure, but even better base! It looks great. Lets see some more please.

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:24 pm

he looks great!
Nice to see very old minis make appearances- he stands up well still.
Love the shield- I just watched 'Medusa' episode from History Channel's 'Clash of the Gods' series awhile ago- the shield is perfect.

2nd comments about the base- it's awesome.

Question: the tight clumped fine dark green moss: what is that? looks like that could be useful stuff for me- would love to get ahold of some.

Zechs

Postby Zechs » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:26 pm

That shield is awesome. I also love the spear and its little pennant. This is definitely one mini that will stand out on the battlefield. How do you intend to make your warriors? Standard models would look static/boring ranked up around this awesome guy :)

UberTek

Postby UberTek » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 pm

Thanks guys, glad you like him. The base is just bits of slate, painted to look slimy with a touch of gloss varnish for that extra icky look.

@ Laughing Ferret The moss is a silfor product. I got mine from Antenociti's Workshop, be warned though , that site can cost you an arm and a leg! :lol: Jed has some VERY nice odds and ends there.
http://www.barrule.com/workshop/scratch ... 0Moss.html

The Warriors are going to be some kit bashed warriors, Gors, and some other bits and pieces, nothing too original. I'll post a test figure soon.
Lawrence
salute.co.uk
minipainter.co.uk
J. R. R. T.
Malifaux Neverborn
GC XII Warriors of Chaos

Feeback Thread

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:22 pm

excellent- thank you. yeah I got some Silflor buffalo grass for another project and found it useful for my Bayou elves too- very expensive stuff, but worth it. I'll have to try their moss too it seems :)

Looking forward to seeing some of your test infantry.
Have you considered converting up some from historical hoplites? Could be good for the Greek theme...

If you've thought about a giant, since you mentioned the late great Harryhausen, I used a model of his cyclopse as a giant once.. nice little collectable that is a good size for a giant.. could be a good fit for your army.

Neil Peckett

Postby Neil Peckett » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:39 pm

Very nice that, like it a lot. It's amazing what a great paint job can do for some older figures. Without the top notch painting and basing I think I would have probably found the model rather... lacking.

Cheers,

Trim
AnnieAnnie wrote:Every time Neil Peckett cheats, he gains a muscle

Ben Curry wrote:He used to be such a nice guy, now he's a horrible cheater!

UberTek

Postby UberTek » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:42 pm

Laughing Ferret wrote:excellent- thank you. yeah I got some Silflor buffalo grass for another project and found it useful for my Bayou elves too- very expensive stuff, but worth it. I'll have to try their moss too it seems :)

Looking forward to seeing some of your test infantry.
Have you considered converting up some from historical hoplites? Could be good for the Greek theme...

If you've thought about a giant, since you mentioned the late great Harryhausen, I used a model of his cyclopse as a giant once.. nice little collectable that is a good size for a giant.. could be a good fit for your army.

I have some fantasy Hoplite Ideas bubbling around. I'll post a test figure tommorow probably. :D
I've got all sorts of ideas for a giant, maybe 2. The Cyclops is way up on my list, I'll probably "warhammer him up" a bit. For the other giant, Talos comes to mind... or something similar and female, we shall see. :D
Lawrence
salute.co.uk
minipainter.co.uk
J. R. R. T.
Malifaux Neverborn
GC XII Warriors of Chaos

Feeback Thread

kjoel

Postby kjoel » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi!

The model is painted really well! One of the best paint-jobs I've seen in a while =D>

the only thing that do not feel right is the color of the "sword-bag". I think that the color is too close to the freehand on the shield. Paint it purple and your model is perfect ( I think so) :P

keep up the really good work!

UberTek

Postby UberTek » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:17 pm

kjoel wrote:The colour of the "sword-bag". I think that the colour is too close to the freehand on the shield. Paint it purple and your model is perfect ( I think so) :P

I almost did paint the scabbard violet. :D

Anyway, here are a couple of tests for the warriors. Nothing special. Let me know what you think.

Lawrence
salute.co.uk
minipainter.co.uk
J. R. R. T.
Malifaux Neverborn
GC XII Warriors of Chaos

Feeback Thread

GumbaFish

Postby GumbaFish » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Very cool, I love those old chaos champion models and still have 4 or 5 laying around I need to get to one day. I love the moss on his base, I may have to look into that product it looks very real.

I like the warriors, they look very imposing even for chaos warriors.
My club 200 log (Mostly circle orboros)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=125765&p=1492457#p1492457

meat

Postby meat » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Hmmm, while I love what you did to the Champion, these guys don't really convince me. I think it's the fur - it doesn't really fit with the hoplite heads, in my opinion. Let's see if an ace paint job can change my mind...
"Every child knows that play is nobler than work"

Xtapl wrote:Once again, someone has gotten TWF'ed in the A.

GsPirate

Postby GsPirate » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:48 pm

First, the old warrior looks perfect. A nice new style of paintjob a small convertion and it looks alot better than before. The base as mentioned is very good and gives the mini some nice contrast. The freehand is good as well

Second the new warrios. The convertion looks good and gives them a different look, I can't say that I´m totaly sold but with a nice paintjob they will surely be as good as the first mini.

Looking forward to more and nice to see some alternative approache to WOC

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:15 pm

the helmets look great. even have little skulls on some of them, making them fit right in w GW chaos :mrgreen:

My mind is hardwired to connect that style helmet & round shield with lightly armored guys with spear or sword...so the very bulky heavy armor, static pose & halberd does seem a bit off to me I'll admit. But I think with some nice paintjobs it will look nice.. and I can't think of anything offhand of any other model to make them seem more greek, not and still look like they'd have 3+ saves..

But I think if they had broadbladed spears instead of the halberd it would help the greek look. easy enough to count such spears as halberds for game purposes. the look of a spear to my eye also has more potential energy than a halberd, which just looks & feels more static.

Rez

Postby Rez » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:52 am

I quite like those new Warriors, the conversion has worked well. Where abouts did you get the heads from?

odin4pope

Postby odin4pope » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:33 am

Can I inquire as to where you got the hoplon shields? Also supberb chaos champion, very clash of the titans!

UberTek

Postby UberTek » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:03 pm

@ odin4pope - Shields are from Amazon miniatures from the QT range. I use their shields on all my Greeks as I like the size. Nice and big.

@ Rez - Heads are from http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php sells some nice conversion bits, I have a couple of the shields as well

@ Laughing Ferret - I agonised over the hoplite feel and decided they should fell more stylised Greek than actual hoplites keeping them more like chaos warriors with a theme, rather than actual hoplites turned to chaos, if you know what I mean. :lol: Good catch on the halberds. I'll be chopping them around to look more like heavy spears. ;)
Lawrence
salute.co.uk
minipainter.co.uk
J. R. R. T.
Malifaux Neverborn
GC XII Warriors of Chaos

Feeback Thread

UberTek

Postby UberTek » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:11 pm

Small update.

I've been getting stuff painted for the Warhammer Historical Weekend (Scots Covenanter ECW) so not much done on the Fantasy front, however I've been playing around with ideas for the Marauder Horse. Probably going for the centaur look like this

Lawrence
salute.co.uk
minipainter.co.uk
J. R. R. T.
Malifaux Neverborn
GC XII Warriors of Chaos

Feeback Thread

Zechs

Postby Zechs » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:07 am

Oh, very very nice. They remind me of the centaurs from the PC game Age of Mythology. Are you going to make them all completely WYSIWYG or will you make some with spears, shields, etc. ?

Zechs

Postby Zechs » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:07 am

Oh, very very nice. They remind me of the centaurs from the PC game Age of Mythology. Are you going to make them all completely WYSIWYG or will you make some with spears, shields, etc. ?

UberTek

Postby UberTek » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:34 am

Zechs wrote:Oh, very very nice. They remind me of the centaurs from the PC game Age of Mythology. Are you going to make them all completely WYSIWYG or will you make some with spears, shields, etc. ?

One unit flails one with spear I think. I like variety :)
Lawrence
salute.co.uk
minipainter.co.uk
J. R. R. T.
Malifaux Neverborn
GC XII Warriors of Chaos

Feeback Thread

UberTek

Postby UberTek » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:49 pm

OK, lots of converting this month, and finished off my army for the warhammer historical weekend so not much painted for GC XII.

I do however have 2 sorceress' painted up;

Alecto ("the angry"), and Megaera ("the grudging")

The third sister Tisiphone ("the avenger") will join them later. ;)

Lawrence
salute.co.uk
minipainter.co.uk
J. R. R. T.
Malifaux Neverborn
GC XII Warriors of Chaos

Feeback Thread

UberTek

Postby UberTek » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:57 pm

Ok I've been sticking bits of Chaos Warriors together and cant get a spear that I like. I'm going to use the halberds.

I have painted up a rough test piece, not finished but just to get a feel for it. Bearing in mind theme, these are going to be Warriors in Bronze.

I've decided to freehand paint all the shields too. All in a similar theme, but all slightly different.

Tell me what you think.

Lawrence
salute.co.uk
minipainter.co.uk
J. R. R. T.
Malifaux Neverborn
GC XII Warriors of Chaos

Feeback Thread

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:41 pm

I like him. Bummer about not finding the right spear look, but I can see how it could be tough- those chaos warriors are so big & bulky that a spear might not balance well with the rest of the model, where the halberd doesn't have that problem.

I like the colors. I think the verdigris could be a touch more green. I know verdigris comes in many shades- from very green, to very blue to nearly white. I'm a fan of a blue-green tone, but I know I've had many people say what I usually use has too much blue, which is less than you have here- just the average person has a more green tone in their mind I think. But the blue verdigris does go better with the blue colors in the shield. It's a hard call and just depends on how much you want to appeal to the majority of the viewers' expectations or yourself, ideal is when you can find the balance that pleases you both.

Just by way of example, here is one I did, aiming for a heavy corroded blue-green and while I am very happy with it, about half the people still felt it didn't have enough green.
so it seems expectation of verdigris corrosion by most is for a very green look, so you may run into that.

I like the shield- it is gorgeous. It pulls a lot of attention- but that might be good. If those they fight keep staring at their shield they may die faster too! I pictured a more traditional designed greek shields, maybe reworked to be chaos imagery- it would bring out the greek feel more, but you'll certainly get more attention & admiration from these art shields- it looks great. Reminds me of a friend's orc army from about 20 years ago: the old metal orcs with halberds- instead of typical orc style designs he pained close ups of demon faces in different colors on each shield- they were gorgeous and really made the unit special.

Zechs

Postby Zechs » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:56 pm

That shield looks gorgeous! The model looks good too, except the halberd. Frankly it looks like a big axe. Try to get a hold of some chaos knights "lances", they look good on chaos warriors.

UberTek

Postby UberTek » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:40 pm

Zechs wrote:That shield looks gorgeous! The model looks good too, except the halberd. Frankly it looks like a big axe. Try to get a hold of some chaos knights "lances", they look good on chaos warriors.

Aha! Great Idea. I didn't think of that.
Lawrence
salute.co.uk
minipainter.co.uk
J. R. R. T.
Malifaux Neverborn
GC XII Warriors of Chaos

Feeback Thread

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”