Born on a Bayou

This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

Renaissance Homer

Re: Born on a Bayou

Postby Renaissance Homer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:30 am

Laughing Ferret wrote:Although if it does bother me later and I find a solution to it, I can always make another unit of three and switch out the left hand guy for a new one, which would give me 2 units which wouldn't be bad, especially for times I don't want to run a lord on a dragon

How do you plan on doing the Dragon?
Just use a swamp Dragon model?
Or an alternative monster?

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:34 am

re: Dragon:

I knew the high elf dragon wouldn't work for a swampy looking dragon- it's a nice dragon, but not right for this army. I looked at the different McFarlan (sp?) dragons- and did find one I liked, but isn't quite right still. So I ordered (should be on its way soon) the new Orc Wyvern. I love the model. It is hunched and has a sly crafty look to him that makes me think of patient alligators. once he's freed up of the big orc & banner he'll be less busy too. some of the armor bits can be removed or remodeled, the helmet will look fine painted as leather I suspect.
once i have it in my hands I'll decide to what extent I want to do any further conversions on him. I'll likely be giving him some front legs for example.

re: transporting the will-o-wisps... they're lightweight, the trees are sturdy, they should lay down fine in a foam transport case. They'll take up a lot of room, but it's not a horde army, so I doubt the total transport bulk will be so bad. The treeman will be a much more difficult issue ;)

deng_ham
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby deng_ham » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:51 pm

The treekin are beautifull. Love them. As for the bases, I don't think is a problem. Tho I'd like to se the bases conected in some way. So that the ground looks unbroken when they stand next to eachother.

as for the dragon, I hope you talk about the azhag model. And still it's a bit on the rough side to be wood elf. A snake type of dragon is IMO a better choice.
Remember your weakness, your enemy will, and
remember your strengths, your friends will.

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:57 am

a combo base of 2 is a great idea.
I like it so much I went back and looked at the 2 again, but with the center's log the way it is, there wouldn't be much room for connected water, and that would be just a small bit in front and most behind the log- not worth it this time. in fact I don't think i'd want the water in front connected for what is there now and if behind then I'd have to remove the rock behind the log, and I like that rock there.

But I do like that idea- and have decided I'll definitely be making some combo bases for the cavalry to take advantage of large pools of water & various shapes. a unit of 5 could have a center piece of 3 models with 2 extra... a unit of 6 could have a piece of 3, 2 and an extra 1.

yeah, I'll definitely do that.

Thanks again for everyone's advice, compliments & comments- it keeps me motivated, and while I may not do all the ideas I get, all suggestions are appreciated, give me something to think about, and some I'm taking and will be happier with the end result of the army because of them.

grahknar

Postby grahknar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:27 am

I find it really odd how those twigs look more realistic after they are painted 8-[

Sordorel

Postby Sordorel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:19 pm

Since you seem to be steadily going towards a lizard theme here, you could consider giving your archers some crocodile leather here and there to tie them in some more.
Actually the idea of a lizard heavy WE army sounds so strange, but I think you just ended up pulling it together perfectly trough your swam theme.

Oh and are those BFG ships I spotted behind the “wow’s”

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:37 pm

I did a quick Hanging Moss tutorial for the GCXII this month (December) but instead of posting it twice I'll just link to it here: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66417

Sordorel wrote:Since you seem to be steadily going towards a lizard theme here, you could consider giving your archers some crocodile leather here and there to tie them in some more.
Actually the idea of a lizard heavy WE army sounds so strange, but I think you just ended up pulling it together perfectly trough your swam theme.

Oh and are those BFG ships I spotted behind the “wow’s”

Some alligator leather might work, but if I do it, I'll need to do it across all their boots- cav included, so my plan is to first paint a unit of cav, try the look of that out on them- if it isn't too busy against the gator's skin (converted cold ones) or doesn't look off, then I'll go back and add it to the archers too. But first the cav, since they have the same gear it will have to look good while on the gator, otherwise I'll have committed to it on the archers and painted myself into a corner.. so to speak.

But I'm hesitant. I don't want the theme to end up being alligators itself, but Bayou swamp land, of which alligators are one way to get it across, with swamp water & trees being the main thing. My plan is to have movement trays for the bayou guard, that have a thick back to them so I can add some trees like are seen on the will-o-wisps.

Re: the ships. Those are some GZG fighter ships that I based up to be compatible for BFG -and which will work for Firestorm Armada apparently too. I didn't think about the missiles & torpedoes I made (behind the fighter ships)... have to redo the bases so they are wider.

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:44 am

I posted in the GCXII December update, but I'll update here too with a few different angle shots than were in that thread.

The Will-o-wisps, or 'wows' for short, are finished. I really enjoyed these. I had a few ideas while doing them, so I'll be considering adding a 2nd unit of Treekin to the army list- it is always good to have a few options & sidebar units for an army to vary it up.

I have been too busy with regular life to do as much as I'd have liked on this project this past month- so picking a small unit that doesn't have a whole lot of detail to paint worked out well- and being able to paint one up early as a test piece and double dip for submitting something for the painting challenge made the will-o-wisps an obvious choice for my meager hobby time this month.

I really like these sculpts- and looking forward to painting up a swamp posse for Malifaux!

It is a bit frustrating how poorly the water photographs. Even with diffused light it reflects in pictures and shows up much darker, hiding the color compared to how it looks by the naked eye.

Should I decide the unit will have a 'Champion' it will be this fellow. He looks the most hungry.

ImageImage
This one is my favorite of the three. While similar to the pose of the first one, this guy looks the most crafty to me.

RaZeR

Postby RaZeR » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:03 pm

Really nice :)
The unit looks great together, and should fit in fantastically with the rest of the army.

Keep them coming! :)
Ken Groom

Xtapl wrote:How are goblins going to throw a fanatic high enough into the air to hit an eagle?

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:38 pm

A quick update for what will likely be the unit for the January GCXII update. Since I'll be traveling for christmas, and busy with finishing a large commission, I need a small bayou goal for January and these fit the bill.

I wasn't going to have wardancers in my army, and often I may run it without any anyway, but after these models were released I kept thinking they'd make an interesting twist on the wardancer concept.

In standard wood elf armies, the wardancer is a more savage/gone to nature/ecstatic aesthetic type that makes your average wood elf seem tame by comparison. But the typical wardancer style didn't seem to fit the bayou theme at all. But another cultural image that does fit the bayou and also is associated with dance & beyond natural power is voodoo. These Tharn Bloodweavers seemed just right for some bayou voodoo priestess warriors.

They will fit a swamp theme much better than regular wardancers,yet I can picture them dancing around with their ritual knives, cool ritual drum music going, and like wardancers to standard wood elves, these seem to have about the same subcultural difference to their own average members of bayou elf society. They don't have as many crazy flips to their poses, but I imagine their ritual dances having less acrobatics, so I am ok with that.

They will be a bit dirtier than the other elves. I converted one to be a musician, simple wood & hide drum. I'll paint a veve design on the drum, possibly on their clothing as well or as tattoos, we'll see.

Chris Appleford
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Postby Chris Appleford » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:48 pm

Those girls look cool, where are the models from?

Great work so far!
@Chris_appleford

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Chris Appleford wrote:Those girls look cool, where are the models from?

Great work so far!

Thanks :) Those are Tharn Bloodweavers for Circle of Oroboros faction for the game Hordes by Privateer Press

deng_ham

Postby deng_ham » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:09 am

good alternative models. As fo using them in the army. I find that a smal unit is ideal as bodyguard to mages, specialy lords. The MR, ward save and the omph in combat suit that role.

MaLkAv

Postby MaLkAv » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:41 am

Wow. Just Wow.

I'm painting a wood-elf army atm, using all the standard miniatures. Your ideas for alternative miniatures, making your army truly unique, are just inspired. I saw your treekin just after you posted them, and thought to myself that you had set the bar very high for your next unit, making it hard to reach as high a standard again.

You proved me wrong - the tharn miniatures are perfect for your concept. Well played sir!

Keeping a very keen watch on this thread, and the other armies of the GX thread as well.

Ungrik

Postby Ungrik » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:39 am

Congratulations on really setting the mood for this army. Next to a good paintjob, you are also choosing the right models and using some nice basing.

This kind of basing and choice of models would even make the army feel / look good with a lesser paintjob.
Cheers, Lars

RaZeR

Postby RaZeR » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:30 am

Really really nice army :)
Those models look great as well. The only minor point is with the positioning of the drum and arm... Looks like it would be pretty awkward to play as it is; with the stick in the left hand, the drum should possibly be on the right hand side, or at least more vertical... :)
Ken Groom

Xtapl wrote:How are goblins going to throw a fanatic high enough into the air to hit an eagle?

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:48 am

RaZeR wrote:Really really nice army :)
Those models look great as well. The only minor point is with the positioning of the drum and arm... Looks like it would be pretty awkward to play as it is; with the stick in the left hand, the drum should possibly be on the right hand side, or at least more vertical... :)

For the drum, I know ;) I tried it on the right hip, where it'd be better, but it looked bad with the weapon arm so close. and more vertical, while a bit more natural if on the same side as the stick-hand made the drum look a bit more awkward on her hip actually, and the surface wouldn't be as prominent, where I want the top more visible for the design i'll paint on it. The drum would have that tilt if it was on the other side, where i'd have preferred it, but since it couldn't be there I kept the tilt anyway.

Good call, but I decided to sacrifice some realism for artistic license.. hopefully I'll be happy enough with the compromise

and thanks everyone for the comments- I wasn't sure I even wanted to have a unit of wardancers in the army in the first place, but this is encouraging and making me look forward to painting this unit next month.

Calibretto

Postby Calibretto » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:12 pm

Just wanted to hop on and say this army is pure genius. Ive seen tons of Wood Elf armies but never a swamp themed one, which fits so well i cant believe i havent seen one before. The use of the Neverborn minis for Treekin was great, they look like they belong in the swamp and the bases really sell it. Thats the pack i picked up, havent had a chance to play with it yet. Being a long time Hordes player i was happy to see you bring in the Bloodweavers as Wardancers, the Privateer models have gotten loads better and im always happy to see them used no matter the system. I look forward to seeing them finished. This army has actually inspired me to start the Beastman army id been considering, i hadnt been able to figure out a theme i liked for a whole army, and seeing your swamp army-swamps just fit the bill. Thanks for the inspiration!

Magos Explorator

Postby Magos Explorator » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:23 pm

I've been following and enjoying this thread but haven't commented until now as I wasn't sure I could add anything to the discussion. But I wanted to write and say that each new update gets better and better as the feel of the army comes out more. It's a different direction for Wood Elves but works very well, and as Calibretto says makes sense. The Will-o-wisps and dragonfly-lizard are great uses of models from other ranges and it looks like the voodoo-wardancers will fit in nicely, both in terms of character and models. There are some great, very individual armies on this site!

Did you make any progress painting the test Glade Rider on cold one from your first post yet? It looked like a very simple but promising conversion.

HannesP

Postby HannesP » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:20 pm

Great work so far! The theme is lovely and those bases are executed really well. The trees could really use some funghi clinging to their branches, though!

Something along the lines of these: http://korta.nu/24d4

They should be fairly easy to make, and could add greatly to the atmosphere.

fatolaf

Postby fatolaf » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:26 pm

Loving this army, fantastic work, will keep my eye on this inspiring PLOG... =D>

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:12 pm

thanks everyone :)

I have enjoyed finding a wide range of miniatures to make this army happen. I was introduced to the hobby under the concept that while most of an army might end up being GW (Citadel & Marauder then) that was because they made the most miniatures that could be what you were looking for- but that there was nothing wrong with using anything else that fit the bill.

My first thought for this army was if I was spending so much time on it, I'd want it to be GT legal, so I'd try to convert everything from GW minis. But GW canceled all their GTs for 2009, and I kept thinking of other company miniatures that did the theme better, so i figured it was more important to make the army in a way I'd be happiest with it, than to limit it for the sake of a system that might die out anyway and luckily only seems to be enforced at official GTs anyway.

Tree trunk Fungus: Great idea! yes, I'll have to add some. :mrgreen:

Calibretto: swamp beasts sounds fun! post some pics when you get them going.

Magos: No, I haven't started painting the gator riders yet, but my plan atm is to do some for the Feb. update.

MarkE

Postby MarkE » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:32 pm

The dancers look just the ticket Ferret and I'm looking forward to seeing them painted up.

emil_frojd

Postby emil_frojd » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:57 am

I love the army. I might be stealing the bayou theme for an army of mine.

TheGrumbliestPuppy

Postby TheGrumbliestPuppy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:49 pm

Fantastic army. My only suggestion would be to play with the glowing effect of the Will-o-wisps light bulbs. Will definitely make it look more realistic, and will make the setting look much more drastic. Having the orbs glow/reflect in the water if they hover above it, or the tree to have the light shining on it faintly. Will make it look way more like a bayou, since they'll look like the are in a dark swamp.

redmanphill

Postby redmanphill » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:23 pm

Laughing Ferret wrote:
Chris Appleford wrote:Tharn Bloodweavers for Circle of Oroboros faction for the game Hordes by Privateer Press

A great use of those models. The Circle Oroboros are really fantastic models. This army just gets better and better!
Subject to Stupidity, My Blog

Quae caret ora cruore nostro?

Zechs

Postby Zechs » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Yes, this is getting very very interesting. Please show us some group shots of the whole army once the voodoo priestesses are done! :)

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:40 pm

Bit of an update: Voodoo Girls Wardancers are done.
A bit early for the GCXII update this time- though I had only 6 models.. even with holiday & work time constraints that wasn't too hard to finish. I'm pretty happy with how these came out. The models have very fine detail- some of the laces & little teeth sewn in are very small for troop minis. I have plans for a small Circle of Oroborus someday- that model range is real hit & miss for me- but I like enough of them, and with some alternate models & scratch built items I'll have a fun army.. I have Tharn Bloodtrackers assembled for it already, and after painting these I'm looking forward to those.

The more I think about it, I think I do want to add a voodoo veve to the drum skin, to tie it in to a more voodoo type feeling, for any who would recognize it. I also am reserving the champion's center 'loin cloth' piece in the center of the skirt as a possible 'gator skin' location. I am going to try that idea out when I do the cav, and if I like it, i'll go back and add the effect to a few models in other units as rank indicators.

As you can see, they are much muddier than the regular elves and have some green tattoos. Like the Wardancers are more savage than the regular wood elves, I wanted these to have a similar place in the Bayou Elf spectrum. I imagine they have their ritual dances, and can't be bothered by any splashing in mud & water that it may cause.

These were a real joy to paint. It was fun to work with muted tones, washed out colors & soaking the muddy water into the skirts.

This is my 2nd wood elf army I have made. My 2nd army I painted, way back in the mid 90's was a wood elf army. I still have a few minis from it, and dug one out for comparison. This was a champion for my bear-handlers unit.
It seems I still have some of the same ideas on form but happy to see my painting has improved some. It is interesting to me that I was more content with my painting then than I am now though.

Zechs wrote:Yes, this is getting very very interesting. Please show us some group shots of the whole army once the voodoo priestesses are done! :)

Thanks :mrgreen: And yes, I'll make some time this month to set up the army so far & take a group shot. I think there is enough now to get a shot of the small army as a whole now.

deng_ham

Postby deng_ham » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:54 am

wonderfull unit... Love the choice of minis. Think you'r gonna pull it off with a clearly wood elf army that's not themed in a wood and using alternative models.

btw: love that plant thingy on the left-most dancer. You shoud have more of them.

UberTek

Postby UberTek » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Awsomesauce Ferret.

Love that Bullrush, scratch built or bought?

I like the idea of showing a figure from a previous army. I think I might have the odd figure left from each of the previous 6 Chaos armies I've done.

I'm never fully satisfied with anything I paint. But I've learnt when to stop, and when to cut corners, to get a job done.
Lawrence
salute.co.uk
minipainter.co.uk
"Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no. "
J. R. R. T.
Malifaux Neverborn
GC XII Warriors of Chaos
Iyanden Eldar Blog Thingy

Feeback Thread

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”