Born on a Bayou

This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

Laughing Ferret

Re: Born on a Bayou

Postby Laughing Ferret » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks everyone :)
I made some progress on the 20 archers, but honestly, not enough and I don't want to rush them- so I had to change tracks over to one of the smaller entries for this month- I'll get it done by the 12th, so the archers will be for next month. I didn't want to break them into two 10man updates- prefer to do similar models in one group. between all the painting for work, and a life tragedy, I just didn't have the extra time to get to the archers.

Thanks for pointing out the 5 hero thing. I realized that about the illegal list awhile back as well. Bummer.. but I'll still be painting both an elf mage & dryad just so that i have the options.. I like to be able to have a few builds for an army.

But that means for the initial core concept of the army I'll be adding another small unit of wild riders. I am really pleased with the test conversion for the wild rider, so when I figure out what month I am doing those that may be when I do a full tutorial for the project.

deng_ham
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby deng_ham » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:03 pm

Laughing Ferret wrote:But that means for the initial core concept of the army I'll be adding another small unit of wild riders. I am really pleased with the test conversion for the wild rider, so when I figure out what month I am doing those that may be when I do a full tutorial for the project.

looking forward to it... :)
Remember your weakness, your enemy will, and
remember your strengths, your friends will.

RaZeR

Postby RaZeR » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:52 pm

Yep, sounds good :)
Ken Groom

Xtapl wrote:How are goblins going to throw a fanatic high enough into the air to hit an eagle?

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:43 pm

An update with more background info, for the first update for the GCXII Year.
For one thing, I hope future months go a bit smoother. It wasn't an easy month. Very busy with work projects, and life (& death) got in the way. My pet ferret died this month. I know some people don't really bond with animals, but for others, like me, they do- and though she wasn't human, she was family nonetheless. She was 6, which placed her at mature and not unexpected to have problems, though because of her size & energy she still seemed like a baby to me. She got both lymphoma as well as a tumor on her pancreas- I got her to a good vet for surgery, she did fine- but didn't make it through recovery. Every surgery has risks, but it's still a shock when the unlikely odds visit you.

So, I wasn't in much mood to paint, or do anything really. Not to unload and get weepy on everyone :wink: but I take this project idea to be a "behind the scenes of the building of an army"... a lot can happen in a year and in a project, and good & bad are both part of it, and life beyond the hobby can have major impacts on a project.

Therefore, the 19 Bayou Guard archers didn't get done. So, dialing down goals I decided to do one of the easier selections- which I'd hoped to save for when I am traveling next year.. oh well, deal with that problem next year when I get to it ;)

I'd decided on using one of the new terradons for an eagle. Seems unlikely an eagle would be in the swamps, and even if it is, it doesn't have a very swampy feel to it. I got the base made and got most of the way done with painting the 'eagle', chosing colors that go with the army. here he is at WIP:

Then I was out in the garage, looking through some old boxes,when I ran across some of my very old miniatures. amoung them I found an old dragonfly dragon. I must have had this guy for going on 20 years! he's actually lead :mrgreen: I think it's Ral Partha, but I'm not possitive. Well the more I thought about it, the more I realized he'd make a great 'eagle' (no pun intended) for the Bayou Army. Right.. couple days before the project update is due, and I'm going to start over? I guess I am. In painting, I decided I'd stick with the same color scheme, but have him a bit lighter in color to show his frail nature.
here's the result:
More pictures in the GCXII October Sticky.
I love the moss UberTek used and on checking with the store that sells the brand here in the US, they say they do not carry the moss products, so I bit the bullet and ordered some from the UK. so there will be some moss added in the future.

So what to do with the half finished terradon? I knew I wanted options for the army, one of them possibly an eagle riding hero, so why not designate it for that? Looking around the minis I didn't see any that would work for a hero to ride it. I didn't want to do the standing on the shoulder option, and to sit with legs around his neck.. just too small of a beast for that. So i decided a kneeling archer pose would be best. I considerd the high elf archer, but the pants wouldn't fit with the rest of the army, so I just cut up a regular glade guard. still needs to be completed- only first rough green stuff done on one leg, but I'm happy with the result. I don't usually go in for the GW style characters of big hats,30 skulls & enough details to stock a mall accessories shop, so the hero will get one of the upgrade cloaks from the spure, and good enough! :mrgreen: I like characters more subdued than overstated anyway.

here are some shots of the eagle hero.. i'll need a name for it, other than eagle.. swamp screacher, swamp glider.. not sure.
(finished archer is just for scale & color comparison)
ImageImage

I'll probably just attach the hero to the flyer with some bluetac for games, incase the hero dies but 'eagle' doesn't.. since the hero is all plastic it should be light enough to not be a problem.

That's all for now...the goal for next month is to get those 19 archers done.

RaZeR

Postby RaZeR » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

Nice
Terradon looks great, and that dragonfly model is really cool. I like the kneeling glade guard as well. If that conversion isnt too hard to do, you could consider doing that for your units of glade guard? make the font rank kneeling, would look cool.

Sorry to hear about your ferret, my girlfriend has one as well, she used to have 2 but one of them got cancer too. Apparently it's fairly common in ferrets over about 5 years :(
Ken Groom

Xtapl wrote:How are goblins going to throw a fanatic high enough into the air to hit an eagle?

Kiourgr

Postby Kiourgr » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:39 am

Sorry to hear about your ferret,

I like your dragonfly alot, though the terradon goes nicely with the cold ones, still preffer the dragonfly.

Keep up the good work.

Shortbus

Postby Shortbus » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:16 pm

Very cool concept and very good execution, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

And I'm sorry for your loss.

Atlarge

Postby Atlarge » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:07 pm

I really like the concept, looks pretty similar to what happens if you go off the path around here. :D

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Thanks everyone.
I'm still trying to figure out how to photo the water better- it always shows up as darker than it seems to the eye.

re: the kneeling archer pose... no wasn't terribly difficult, but I do already have the 2 units of 10 made, and the bases made for them- so it'd be hard to redo those. what i'll probably do is make some extras since I'll be needing to get another box for when I make some scout/waywatchers... some of those will be kneeling, and I can make some more kneeling from the left overs to bulk out the Bayou Guard units or replace some of the standing ones with them.
the kneeling pose does mean more surface area of the base covered by model though, so means less room for the swamp elements, so I don't think i'd do a whole front rank, but a few would be nice I think to make a line of archers look more rag-tag, and less like an english longbowman line.

Nice to hear people are liking the dragonfly. it's such an old model, and a bit 2-D, which I tried to adjust for a bit by giving it a slight S curve with twisting the tail & the head. it was fun to put paint on such a long-neglected miniature.

slamdunkdesign

Postby slamdunkdesign » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:15 pm

This is the most intriguing of all the armies to me. I really like the colour scheme.
I saw the piece you wrote about the colour and difficulty painting the wings. In my tech class I have a laser cutter that I use with the kids, and I had a crazy idea about cutting wings in clear acrylic and etching the details on. No idea how it would look, but I may have to try it at some point!
Thanks
Steve

Twitter: @Stevewren

Currently playing Empire, Wood Elves, High Elves and Warriors (and Demons in 40K!)

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:23 pm

slamdunkdesign wrote:This is the most intriguing of all the armies to me. I really like the colour scheme.
I saw the piece you wrote about the colour and difficulty painting the wings. In my tech class I have a laser cutter that I use with the kids, and I had a crazy idea about cutting wings in clear acrylic and etching the details on. No idea how it would look, but I may have to try it at some point!

Thanks!

for the wings: I think that would work well. I have made wings for smaller things than this guy from plastic. I made some flies for a frog bloodbowl team from the plastic from a blister pack and was very happy with the results. for a model of this size though, I thought the plastic would be too thin so just went with the wings it came with- sounds like you have a set up for better plastic though.

when i made wings from blister plastic i just gave them a short burst of dullcoat to 'fuzz' the plastic (since insect wings aren't completely transparent) and so it'd take a wash of paint and it worked well.

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:30 pm

I really wanted to do all 20 archers at once, but just didn't have the time to complete them for the GCXII update, so I went for one unit instead. Had a crazy month of real life, so I'm happy to have anything finished really.

I have to keep reminding myself that these are just the basic troops, that natural drab colors don't need to be and shouldn't be too eye-catching or with high contrast of highlighting. Other units will step up to take the role of 'eye candy' so in a way it's nice to get the less interesting units out of the way, establish a visual & thematic anchor and *play* later :mrgreen:

I'm planning to redo the sword blades- had to finish fast for the GCXII update- not happy with the blending, so they'll be redone- I want to go from a tinbitz-bronze to steel color, so that the swords are not bright & gleaming, hoping to get more of a dark murky atmosphere to them, and so they won't be eye-catching details for the unit.

One thing I'm finding fun, but feels strange, is taking bits of real tree, priming it white & then repainting it to make it look like bits of real tree :P

Mythlacar

Postby Mythlacar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:58 pm

I like it! But then again I was born in Florida, so I guess I'm a sucker for swamps. I had a couple ideas that may help you out a bit

A) Have you considered Alligator skin for the clothes? Might not be a bad idea to find some quivers or pouches that look like they were made from alligators, could look very nice.

B) The swamp bases could use a little work. I don't know about other states, but the swamps through Florida usually have quite a bit of woods. Some areas may have a lot of wet land with small bits of wood and grass here and there but thats vastly the exception, not the rule in my experience. Most of the swamps I've been in have been pretty heavily forested, just with swamp muck all over everything.

C) It could use some moss, on everything. Having gone trawling through a couple of swamps trust me, moss is every damn where.

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:33 pm

I hadn't thought about alligator skin clothing, but I like that idea! I might give some extra detail work to the character types and pattern some gator pebbling into their clothes.

bases- I didn't get time to add fern & underbrush from the etched brass stuff- I may go back and add some, but more moss is easily done. thanks for the experience insight - not a lot of swamp around me. by not a lot, read: none :mrgreen:

Mythlacar

Postby Mythlacar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:18 pm

Hehe anytime, if you need any help feel free to PM me. I'd also suggest googling swamp and looking at the pictures that pop up, you'll see what I mean about moss :lol:

slamdunkdesign

Postby slamdunkdesign » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:49 am

Still coming along nicely. I agree with some of the comments about the bases and I am looking forward to seeing what you do when you go back and swamp'em up a bit! The green and brown look great and really do tie all the models together. I can't wait to see some of the bigger characters

A friend of mine has just started a wood elf army so I sent him the link to your on going blog for inspiration (and to see that there should not be a huge gap between head adnd torso!!). Hope it keeps going well.
Thanks
Steve

Twitter: @Stevewren

Currently playing Empire, Wood Elves, High Elves and Warriors (and Demons in 40K!)

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:07 pm

I'll probably add some more of the scenic moss as well as using paint to green up the brown mud areas around it for some transition between the two, so has some of the same green tone I used on the rock on one of the bases. the bases that are 40mm, 50mm and cav bases will be easier to make have more swamp elements.

the gap between head & body.. yeah, while I do like the hooded heads more than the bare ones, since I don't care for the strange half-helmets, and hoods just make them look more shadowy & seems to fit with the bayou idea more to me... those heads have a very big gap between them & the body- especially at the back between head & cape & on the sides above the shoulders- they all got green stuff applied to fill that and try to blend the cape in, so it would look like a cloak, not a cape & separate hood. I'm guessing that is the gap you mean? Definitely worth the time & effort to fix that

Bamsemisbruker

Postby Bamsemisbruker » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:26 pm

just clicked on the thread and I...
Jizzed in my pants

Very nice! love the theme and the colors. I am currently working on a little nurgle army and i am very inspired by your bases. Could i have the recipie for the black mudthing?

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:59 am

Bamsemisbruker wrote:I am currently working on a little nurgle army and i am very inspired by your bases. Could i have the recipie for the black mudthing?

Not 100% sure which part you're referring to for 'black mudthing'.. do you mean the swamp water? most of the archer bases have the water, the dragonfly base is mostly a pool of the swamp water... if that's the black mudthing you're meaning the recipe is pretty simple:

It does show up in photos a bit darker than it looks in real life depending on the angle you're viewing it from & the light- just like water in real life I suppose. first I paint the bottom of the pool area a light almost olive green. i used reaper master paint pale olive & pale lichen &mixed with bleached bone and a touch of P3 menoth white. lighten that a bit more & paint splotches, rings, where the water would be a bit more shallow like the edges of the pool.

then mix some gw green wash & devlan mud together, about 50/50 and add vallejo still water effects to it, till it is transparent but still has color- darkness depending on how dark you want the final result to be. the water effect will need a few applications as it does shrink down when it dries, even at the shallow depths i'm working with here. even a quarter inch or less deep will look much deeper than it seems before you add the water. for the 2nd to 3rd application i tend to add less of the color to the water as it does shrink down, so the color saturation will intensify with more applications. the last one or two water fills I do without color, which adds to the illusion of depth.

if you want more muddy-black pools I'd go with more devlan mud and maybe a touch of badab black to the mix. the washes work quite well as pigment for the still water.

if black mudthing meant something else, sorry and just let me know and i'll give an explanation of what you were asking about. Hope to see some of your nurgle when you get it going :)

Bamsemisbruker

Postby Bamsemisbruker » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:28 pm

thx. After reading my comment again i realize that "black mudthing" could sound offensive, but I hope you are not offended.
Anyways interesting method, but Ive found another way of doing it. My bases doesn't have that much depth in them, but thanks anyway :)

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:00 am

re: offended: no not at all. I didn't read it that way. I suppose if you called my mom a 'mudthing' that could be a different story :lol:
actually, it made me wonder if I'd put up a picture of a malifaux swamp construct thing- I had been considering using those as treekin, but came up with something I like better... which is hush hush for now, but should be up pretty soon!

mousekiller

Postby mousekiller » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:10 pm

These are coming out pretty awesome mate, very well executed both in the idea and the painting. Love the DRAGONfly.

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:47 am

mousekiller wrote:These are coming out pretty awesome mate, very well executed both in the idea and the painting. Love the DRAGONfly.

Thank you :)
I'm quite happy with the dragonfly- it was nice to paint him up & give him a purpose after more than 15 years waiting in a box.

I have a 2nd one, though I had cut the cattails off of it long time ago- but I'll probably paint him up too in case I want to run 2 eagles in the army someday- at least I'll have the option... plus you never know with GW, they could come out with the next wood elf incarnation and take away treekin or something else, and re-balance by things new such as allowing up to 2 eagles as 1 rare choice, like bolt throwers are. Better to be prepared I suppose. My old wood elf army had bear handlers, a lord on a griffon and a chariot for a centerpiece, and you see what happened to those ;)

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:27 am

Thought I would post up some W.I.P shots of the treekin and a bit of the background for them. Not sure if this will be in depth enough for a real tutorial for the GCXII obligation, but a bit of the process at least and might give me the motivation I need to make sure I get this unit done in time for the deadline. My personal hobby time has been pretty limited, so in giving an update I hope I'll be putting my neck out so I must finish ;)

First the background ideas:

* Treekin at first I was going to do by converting dryad parts to be larger tree creatures.
* Revised idea developed as more reptilian elements got added when trying to emphasis the swamp environment.. gator striders, dragonfly, swamp glider... I thought swampkin could be reptilian of some sort too.
* I loved the Wyrd Selurids since I first saw them, and picked up that faction for that game for the future. And just letting my mind wander on the theme of swamps, I turned to swamp gas which made me think of will-o-wisps, and wondering how to make them as a miniature... how to make a ball of light? So I thought, what if something else is making the ball of light? Like how deep sea fish make light.. and the Bayou Will-o-Wisps were decided on.

A lot of pictures here, I tried to make them small to help load times for people with slower connections.
The start. Take the test piece and build 2 more 40mm bases

Fast forward to the next two wows (will-o-wisps) made. the one on the left I repositioned his legs so he'd be in more of a -step down- pose, so he would be walking forward, stepping off a log into the water.

Test the positioning of the wows, so they will feel right as a group of 3 and begin to imagine what their base elements will have.

Start to find branches & root pieces that will work how I want. one on the right attached to his already

The three together. nearly done

The center one has had branches added to his tree since it had none- just pin & green stuff. rocks added, pools made & some etched brass leaves. The one on the right has a fallen log that overhangs his base some to the left so that it overlaps the center's base. I wanted at least one thing on these bases that would do that so to help tie them together. Something I hope to do even more of with the cavalry units.

The hanging moss is something that is added after painting is finished, but I'll show the process of what I came up with for that when I get to that stage. For the trees, it does feel a bit strange to take wood, prime it and then paint it to be wood ;) but it needs to be that way.

MarkE

Postby MarkE » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:49 am

Laughing Ferret wrote:Thought I would post up some W.I.P shots of the treekin and a bit of the background for them. Not sure if this will be in depth enough for a real tutorial for the GCXII obligation

I would hope it is, I guess the only thing missing would be the water effect being worked on, but I recall you already showing that (including the layered approach because it shrinks when dry), or did I catch that in another thread and project that on this one?
Greatly looking forward to seeing the other 2 painted up, your army's shaping up very nicely!

RaZeR

Postby RaZeR » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:33 am

Really nice stuff, I love the conversions, and the bases work very nicely as well.
Only thought would be that the ones on each end look very similar, they're even both stepping over a log with one hand on a similarly shaped rock... It might just be the pictures, but I thought I'd point it out :)
Ken Groom

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:21 pm

Yeah, I had noticed the mirror symmetry. The models have that about their pose as well. At first I tried to have a log or root for the right hand guy go from the tree trunk angled toward the left so his left foot & hand would be on it, but then it made a "V" with the middle bases' log (which had to be the way it was for that model to look right) and I didn't like that V at all . The option of a log from the right foot to hand was worse, because that makes an unpleasing right angle to the frontage of the base.

So I was going to just have his hand rest on an additional log, but I didn't care for the look of that either- too many logs not enough water. So I went ahead and put his hand on a rock, which, while making the unit very symmetrical I found I didn't mind the effect> It kind of creates a triptych. And since the right hand pond is framed differently than the left- having two rocks, no cradling root- I don't mind it.

Although if it does bother me later and I find a solution to it, I can always make another unit of three and switch out the left hand guy for a new one, which would give me 2 units which wouldn't be bad, especially for times I don't want to run a lord on a dragon, I'll need to soak up some free'd up points.

GumbaFish

Postby GumbaFish » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:40 pm

Those are absolutely brilliant. Very creative thought process and the execution is spot on. How exactly are you planning on transporting them though!
My club 200 log (Mostly circle orboros)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=125765&p=1492457#p1492457

domus

Postby domus » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:22 pm

I love those Willow-O-Wisps LF. Outstanding stuff!

kefas

Postby kefas » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:08 pm

WOOOOOW!!! exelent work... balls smashing ideal dude! Im waiting for MORE! give me MORE!!!

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”