Born on a Bayou

This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

Laughing Ferret

Re: Born on a Bayou

Postby Laughing Ferret » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:13 pm

The Bullrush is bought. I'll be adding more to larger bases- maybe 1 or 2 to the will-o-wisps, the cav, the dryads.. maybe 1 or 2 in archer units. don't want too many, but its a nice accent and I'm liking it.

I had to do some digging to find that old elf mini. It is nice to look back and compare similar purpose minis.

There are a lot of alternative models creeping in. The original plan wasn't to use any, but once I opened the door to the idea, more came in. I'd rather have the best minis for the theme than restrict to a corporate limitation... if that means I'd not be able to play in an event some day, so be it ;) I'd rather be happier with my army.

Happy to know others are liking how the Bayou theme is shaping up too :mrgreen:

RaZeR
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby RaZeR » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Looking great :)
Keep up the good work, what's next? :)
Ken Groom

Xtapl wrote:How are goblins going to throw a fanatic high enough into the air to hit an eagle?

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:13 pm

Next? I have another unit of archers to finish, a couple character models to do, but I'm feeling like 'rewarding' myself with either a unit of cav or the dragon... but haven't decided yet which will be for Feb.

kasumi

Postby kasumi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:59 am

I always love to see themed armies that explore the different aspects of warhammer that you'd never think about otherwise (I would've never thought what would happen if wood elves lived in a swamp!). These armies are one of the things that I love the most about warhammer.

By the way, can you please tell me how you painted your glade guard? Especially the green, light brown on their clothes and the brown on the underside of their cloaks. I love it how you've made them look a bit like their standard colour scheme, but still make them look very different and unique.

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:09 am

Thanks Kasumi :) as one of my friends says, 'you always find your gimmick' :P but in a possitive slant, I find I keep my interest in a project more if I find a unique, or close to unique, theme for an army- even a slight tweak can be enough to personalize an army and make it feel more your own. It's worked for me here- I've been enjoying the Bayou Army.

As for colors, it can vary, since I often mix colors rather than use straight from the bottle- an approach with benefits as well as problems- but with an army like this, if the colors have a slight variation of tone, it works still.

Green: the most mixed of the bunch.. I found the Reaper Master Series Moss triad very useful for this army- I mix the darkest of the moss colors with a bit of citadel foundation knarloc green and vallejo model color flat green, maybe a touch of game color dark green and highlight by adding a bit of the medium moss color and some P3 hammerfall khaki.

Light brown: vallejo game color desert yellow highlighting it by adding in P3 menoth white.

Dark brown is vallejo model color burnt umber, highlight by adding citadel foundation khemri brown & P3 hammerfall khaki into the mix with further highlights just more khaki into it.

creatures have had the same green & desert yellow for their colors, with different degrees of the lightening colors for their mixes & highlights, so they all have a unifying scheme without being exactly the same. That's the plan anyway ;)

Laughing Ferret

Re: Born on a Bayou : Jan13 update: group pics

Postby Laughing Ferret » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:09 pm

So with the first 4 months now down for the GCXII project it seems like a good point for a group shot. This isn't one third of an army yet 8-[ but I do have another unit, and 2 characters half painted, so it is deceptive, so I'll try not to worry about it too much.

On to the pics...

GumbaFish

Postby GumbaFish » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:45 pm

The wardancers look great, the leather skirts in particular look nice. They have that worn in look to them. They remind me a bit of my favorite pair of hiking boots that have seen mud, dirt, snow, rain etc..
My club 200 log (Mostly circle orboros)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=125765&p=1492457#p1492457

Angelicus

Postby Angelicus » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:07 pm

Excellent rendered sir!

I've always though WE were one of those armies that was hard to do a great theme while still being WE, but this really nails it.

Laughing Ferret

Re: Born on a Bayou Feb11 update: first characters

Postby Laughing Ferret » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks GumbaFish- I was really happy with the results of the buckskin skirts- came out just like I'd hoped

Angelicus: wow, thank you! that is very high praise :mrgreen: The theme of this army has kept me interested. Every time I think I'm losing interest, or get distracted with another project I want to do (and there is a lot of competition!), if I start working on these or look at the finished models I get enthusiastic about it again.

I guess I have always had a compulsion for delayed gratification. Save the best for last, the bite with the most chocolate for last, etc. So the units and models I'm most interested in I still haven't done- which is good, it will keep me moving forward. But it was time for some characters. But with delayed gratification, that means the lower level heroes first.

Firs is a converted mage. I didn't want her to be like the voodoo girls- or it'd be confusing what type of character is what, so I figure the voodoo ritual dancers have a kind of magic in the rites, but the true spellcasters are a bit more traditional, though hopefully still fitting in with the army.
ImageImage

I got back to the swamp screecher, who had been set aside before.He had been intended to be a great eagle, but I traded him out for the dragonfly dragon. I still liked this guy though, so converted a glade guard archer into a kneeling pose to rider him. I like the idea of more than one type creature counting as an eagle, to emphasis the variety of life in the swamp. And it shouldn't be confusing since there's only one flyer (that isn't a unit) on a 40mm base in the army book.

The rider I am pleased to say balances perfectly on the screecher's back. a bit of museum putty and she'll be fine for games and easy to remove if I want to run thescreecher as a great eagle from a rare selection or if she dies in the game.

I'm probably going to go back and add a bit of hanging moss to the back fork of the tree branch but I'm headed out of town so I didn't have time to do that for the update- easier to do when I do it for other models though, so I'm not unhappy about that.
ImageImage
ImageImage

I am working on a second unit of archers, but got distracted assembling twilight minis. Sometimes the only thing I want to do is assemble, not paint. I just love these miniatures, and hopefully will get a chance to play the game this week. Granted they are not Bayou Elves, but they got in their way a bit so I'll sneak them in here. When i have time to paint some I'll post some in a thread of their own.
Fubarnii Militia
Fubarnii Knights
Fubarnii Engineer & trader with pack Baruks
ImageImage
And their adversaries... The Devanu
ImageImage

If you haven't seen these before- the miniatures & game look great.
Their site is http://www.worldoftwilight.com/index.html and the minis are sold through Hasslefree.

MarkE

Postby MarkE » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Beautiful presentation Ferret, as usual the bases are sterling. The twilight miniatures look interesting.

RaZeR

Postby RaZeR » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Really nice stuff. I just have one criticism of the screecher thing, and that's the tree on the base. The screecher appears to be kinda gliding down, yet there's a tree straight behind one wing... Either it just made a REALLY sharp S-turn, or it flew through a tree :P

Just a thought :)

Keep it up
Ken Groom

Xtapl wrote:How are goblins going to throw a fanatic high enough into the air to hit an eagle?

deng_ham

Postby deng_ham » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:34 pm

the kneeling rider i realy the way to go. Perfectly placed. He look abit comon for a hero, no flashy bits or over styled weapons. As for the gliding tru tree prblem, I see him as just takin off from the tree stump. I'd like to see him pinned to the tree and not the pole hi is on. But that's something I keep bugging about.

The mage is sweet. again tou take something non wood elf tweek it and make it fit perfectly into the army. Love the stocking :-) And I'll have to second Angelicus, you have made a theem that is tru to the wood elf army but diferent and genuine.
Remember your weakness, your enemy will, and
remember your strengths, your friends will.

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:20 pm

thanks all :mrgreen:

the tree-base.. yeah, I know it's a bit puzzling with the wing in front of it. I imagine he could be just launchign from the stump part in front, or he'd just raised his wings up as he went past it, and they're on their way of down-flap as he's moved past it.

I wanted some height to the tree to give a feeling of dense swampland trees, so it's a needed suspension of disbelief. unlike an eagle, I didn't want it to seem like he was soaring above the treetops.

I had an eagle in my original wood elf army that I'd modeled so he was connected to a tree branch rather than a pole, by way of a horizontal branch, so it's not like he was impaled by the branch 8-[ yet still got a lot of comments about how he must have a sore butt from banging into that branch, etc. #-o so, I think the best thing is often just a flight bar painted in "don't look at me" black. it's a compromise to be sure.

The archer hero: yes, definitely understated. But, I tend to like my characters that way: not a lot of flashy detail. I always hated the GW cannon of more skulls and bigger hats to show rank ;) Especially for a culture like wood elves.. bit of face paint and the squigglies on the bow is enough for me, especially for a hero level character... my personal tastes run to minimalistic.

deng_ham wrote:The mage is sweet. again tou take something non wood elf tweek it and make it fit perfectly into the army. Love the stocking :-) And I'll have to second Angelicus, you have made a theem that is tru to the wood elf army but diferent and genuine.

Thanks :mrgreen: The mage is a Reaper Vampire. One of those purchases of "oh this is nice, not sure what I'll use it for, but sure something will come up". And when thinking of mage models I remembered I had this, and with a small bit of converting got an elf mage out of her.

stocking: thanks :) I was quite happy with how that came out- it's only the 2nd time I've had an opportunity to paint sheer stockings, but I think its quite a fun effect.

deng_ham

Postby deng_ham » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:08 pm

Laughing Ferret wrote:...got a lot of comments about how he must have a sore butt from banging into that branch, etc. #-o so, I think the best thing is often just a flight bar painted in "don't look at me" black. it's a compromise to be sure...

It is a personal preferense. And then we can agree to disagree. And I'll in no way hold it aginst you (how could I with the rest looking as sweet at it does)

Laughing Ferret wrote:The mage is a Reaper Vampire. One of those purchases of "oh this is nice, not sure what I'll use it for, but sure something will come up".

A vampire, actualy... Wow. What did you do to her ? ( :twisted: )

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:37 pm

here is the original reaper vampire

it didn't take much work to convert. I trimmed the knife so it wouldn't have the 'evil back barb" that screams vampires & dark elves. I clipped the whip and used a dryad branch arm, wire and green stuff to make a fallen-branch staff, and trimmed her bat-wing headdress into still large-but I like them anyway elf ears ;) and then put her on a tree stump.

I think she'd make a great elf mage of any variety: wood, high or dark. the tattered wearing on her dress would probably need to be filled if high elf.

Chris Tomlin

Postby Chris Tomlin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Hey,

Awesome army you've got here. Love the theme and the execution of it. The basing is fantastic and really makes it "pop".

Just wondering if you could share a link to where ever you got those non-bevelled bases from. I like the look of them a lot and fancy them for my new army.

Cheers,
Chris.
http://www.theblacksun.co.uk - An Age of Sigmar Podcast - Episode 94 out now! 2 Interviews with hobby event TO's

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:01 pm

Thank you :mrgreen:

The bases are from Gale Force 9. Litko also make similar bases. you can order about any size of straight edge, circle or oval bases.

I am loving these bases. there is a slight variation of height to some, but it isn't really a problem- and when I combine 4 20mm bases to make a 40mm it's easy to find 4 that are the same height.

I originally bought these to base a celt army for WAB, but I am waiting for the 2.0 book to come out- just in case there is something different in basing or for skirmishers, etc.

But with the quart container of 20 mm, pint of 25 & pint of 25x50 I have enough to base the celts, the bayou elves, plus more I suspect.

here's the link:
http://www.gf9.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=368&osCsid=681051ffdc1a03ab5d2bef08a73762ef

Chris Tomlin

Postby Chris Tomlin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Cheers for the advice,

The GF9 ones look great, but the postage to the UK is horrendous and I can't find a UK supplier who stocks those items. I have found a UK Retailer of the Litko bases, but no photos of what they look like. How similar are these to the ones you've used, if you know? Sorry to semi-hijack your thread mate.

Chris
http://www.theblacksun.co.uk - An Age of Sigmar Podcast - Episode 94 out now! 2 Interviews with hobby event TO's

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:32 am

no worries.
I haven't had the litko bases in-hand, so I couldn't say for sure, but I can't imagine there is much difference other than color- and they'll be painted anyway. I chose GF9 because of the quart/pint bargains & was ordering something else from them at the same time.

I have also seen similar bases & deals on Ebay.

starwolf666

Postby starwolf666 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:32 pm

I really love the theme, very well executed.
The dragon fly is a great model.
Love the idea. great painting.

How about a tortoise dragon ( reaper) instead of the normal forest dragon?

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:14 pm

Thank you, and very fun idea!
I know the mini you're talking about- and do like it. hmm.. a dragon has wings, and a dragon turtle doesn't.. might be too much of a stretch for me personally to run them as the same, and the crazy physics & implausible biology that'd be behind giving a shelled-creature wings, even in a Fantasy setting would be too much for me... granted it is fantasy, but we all have our parameters for the genre.

Hmm.. maybe as a replacement for a treeman though... going to have to give that some serious thought :idea:

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it :mrgreen:

flaminsnowman

Postby flaminsnowman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:11 pm

How manyish come in a pint, if I may ask..
"I'll tell you all my secrets, but I'll lie about my past, so send me off to bed forevermore.."

deng_ham

Postby deng_ham » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:32 pm

A tortoise as dragon... hmm might work. If you give it realy big hind legs. And say it jumps like a frog... after all, it has to be on the ground after it's move... But it is a bit far out

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:54 pm

flaminsnowman wrote:How manyish come in a pint, if I may ask..

only an estimate.. the pint of 25mm bases seems to have about 130 or more, and of course it will hold more 20mm bases bc they are smaller. I have a quart of the 20mm- i've used 60 or more, and by rough eyeball seems about 20% used or so.

flaminsnowman

Postby flaminsnowman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:52 am

thanky sir.
"I'll tell you all my secrets, but I'll lie about my past, so send me off to bed forevermore.."

starwolf666

Postby starwolf666 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:56 pm

I really like it.
Maybe you can get youre hands on the old Grenadier Marsh dragon or the Swamp Dragon?
They dont have wings but that can be remedied.

How about a Crocodile Games Sebeki??? Instead of a Unicorn....

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:44 pm

do you mean the old julie guthry grenadier dragons? many great ones from that set, though they are a bit small by today's wargame standard.

I hadn't planned on putting a unicorn in the army, but if I ever do a unit of the spear elves, then i'd planned on either the sebeki or hordes snapjaw as a big guy unit filler :mrgreen:

starwolf666

Postby starwolf666 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:52 pm

Yes those are the ones i was talking about.
Snapjaw is a great model.

I love themed armies with a difference.
I'm a painter modeller mostly, rarely playing a game.
This is an amazing army. Never thought Wood Elves could be this cool.

Makes me want to build a Swam Goblin Army to counter them...

Thx for sharing this army.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull

Postby Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Great models, I really like the paintjob.

Cheers,
G
The only good stunty is a dead stunty

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks Starwolf- that's some high praise :mrgreen:

That does bring up one slight thorn I have about making themed armies.. things like city bases, snow, swamp- look great, but then if the table clashes it starts to look off. Or two armies that are completely different.. like what if that space wolf army on snow bases fights an ork army on bases heaped with rusting junk.. what is that? #-o well, it isn't enough to get me to not do a theme army, and I figured a bayou swampy look would go alright with the standard green table and smattering of trees... not a terrible clash. Plus the wood elves get a free wood.. something I plan to do in the Bayou theme of course... and that will help the table match the army.

But yeah- the idea of this army fighting a similarly themed army would be ideal.

Swamp goblins would be a great army actually... The Malifaux range has a few swamp goblins that would make great characters.
If I don't burn out on swamp water I may have to make that army too..because I don't have enough projects to keep me busy...heh 8-[ but tempting.

Snapjaw is a great model. I picked him up awhile back, but I don't care for the new rules in Hordes for how lesser minion warlocks work- just too punishing to lose the beast if the warlock dies- I'm just too casual of a player to have such a big achilles heel, so he may make an appearance in the bayou Army.

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”