Born on a Bayou

This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

starwolf666

Re: Born on a Bayou

Postby starwolf666 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:55 pm

Like i said, i rarely play.
I just love to paint and build. i really like the Warhammer background.
So even when using very different mini's i still look for the Warhammer books in order to keep it in theme.

I understand what you mean regarding different basing.
However painting such an army is more then half the fun.

At the moment i lack the time to paint. Although i started another VC army, using Gamezone zombie wolves as dire wolves, bought a Varghulf and using a Varghar from Confrontation as another.
My general will be the OOP Bretonnian Fay with the chalice, i will probably mount her on an undead Griffon or something.

I also have a Themed Chaos army, I call it The Horde From The North, mostly Grenadier Barbarians, a few female barbarians from different brands, all on snow bases. A Big Wooly Rhino as a chariot and so on.

I must say seeing youre bayou army makes me wanna paint more. Maybe when i finished doing some work on the house, i will have more time.

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:04 pm

your themed armies sound great starwolf!

I am a sucker for getting the 'new army bug'. I think fo an idea or theme and really want to do it..just don't have anywhere near the time to do them all.

I get even less time or chance to play thesedays, but yes- the building & creating of the armies is too fun not to keep going.

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:19 pm

Just a quick update to coincide with the march GCXII update.
Behind the scenes.. too many tumbleweeds! I really thought I'd be further along than I am. Not that I am not pleased with having a small 1k army now, but I always overestimate the progress I will make.

I finished another Bayou Guard archer unit

and next I think I will try to tackle a cav unit. will see-because I have been wanting to get my dryads based- I made them, but they need to be put on bases. Painting the dryads seems best to save for a travel-month though since they'll be pretty simple to do.

Some army shots of the starter force that i didn't put in the GCXII thread

Not positive what the exact magic items would be.. the wood elf book has some very awkward point costs & some underpowered/over priced items compared to more recent things. in a 1k game I might go for the tree singing staff, but definately have 1 dispell scroll, 2 if not another item. Magic bow is pretty key for the hero. but what else? not sure. so I may paint up a shield to tac to her back for the times if I top off with a magic shield.

Pretty happy with this little 1k army. a bit core light, but that's ok for now.
2 characters, 2 core units, 2 special units and a rare.

domus
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby domus » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:51 pm

These look great! Love the feel of the army to date.

Makes me wish I had kept up with mine and not gotten sucked back into WoW for a bit.

starwolf666

Postby starwolf666 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:27 pm

I keep coming back to look at them.
Maybe you could include a Wizard of some kind with a little pet lizard or crocodile?

I've decided too put my Vampire lady ( Bretonnian Lady) on a old Harlequin Chimera and call it an Abyssal Terror. Now all i have to do is find the time to paint it,...

Misanthropy

Postby Misanthropy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:08 am

The optimum build for the eagle noble at 1k would be hail of doom arrow. and Helm of the Hunt, with light armour, shield and great weapon

Culain

Postby Culain » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:05 am

Superb army!

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/ga ... -blood-hag
Wardancer hero, maybe a spellweaver? :wink:

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks everyone :mrgreen:

Good call Culain- that Hag has potential! I could see her as a very old elf who's starting to show outward signs of the natural power of the bayou that now completely saturates her. I hadn't intended to do several mages, but I knew i'd expand at some point, so I can have some flexible builds- an easy one is to have a level 4 mage to swamp out for the fighty lord.

I'll have to revisit Starwolf's suggestion about a "unicorn" ...
I have a Reaper Dire Crocodile I got for this army, (this one here:)
ImageImage

I could picture this Hag standing next to the big gator as a decent mage on unicorn proxy :mrgreen:

UberTek

Postby UberTek » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Laughing Ferret wrote:I'll have to revisit Starwolf's suggestion about a "unicorn" ...
I have a Reaper Dire Crocodile I got for this army, (this one here:)
ImageImage

I could picture this Hag standing next to the big gator as a decent mage on unicorn proxy :mrgreen:

Do it! Do it! great idea.

I also have more characters then allowed, for swap outs. ;)
Lawrence
salute.co.uk
minipainter.co.uk
"Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no. "
J. R. R. T.
Malifaux Neverborn
GC XII Warriors of Chaos
Iyanden Eldar Blog Thingy

Feeback Thread

GoogleBot
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Postby GoogleBot » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:05 pm

MaLkAv wrote:Wow. Just Wow.

I'm painting a wood-elf army atm, using all the standard miniatures. Your ideas for alternative miniatures, making your army truly unique, are just inspired. I saw your treekin just after you posted them, and thought to myself that you had set the bar very high for your next unit, making it hard to reach as high a standard again.

You proved me wrong - the tharn miniatures are perfect for your concept. Well played sir!

Keeping a very keen watch on this thread, and the other armies of the GX thread as well.

The Oroboros faction is pretty perfect for welfs as are the Legion of Everblight for delfs.

Great work btw I'm loving the colour scheme. What did you use to make the trees?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

starwolf666

Postby starwolf666 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Yea that would make a great "unicorn" go for it i say.

Magos Explorator

Postby Magos Explorator » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:49 pm

starwolf666 wrote:Yea that would make a great "unicorn" go for it i say.

I agree--those models would fit very nicely into your force.

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:47 pm

GoogleBot wrote:The Oroboros faction is pretty perfect for welfs as are the Legion of Everblight for delfs.

Great work btw I'm loving the colour scheme. What did you use to make the trees?

Minis swapping works well vise-versa too. I don't care for the merc nyss hunters.. the leader is nice, but the others don't do anything for me, so I'm tempted to use some wood elf archers for them to add to Troll & Circle armies :mrgreen:

Re: The Trees... I am assuming you mean the trees on bases like the will-o-wisps & the swamp screamer (eagle proxy)? if so, I just use cut & dried wood branches & roots. If there isn't a branching naturally where I want it, I attach another piece by pinning & green stuff to mold the connection.

Seems many also like the idea of the hag with the gator.. and me too- the more I think about it, the more I like it. I'll definitely do it- just have to wait for the Hag's release. I can already picture how I'll convert her. and I'll try to come up with a way of having her removable from the base, in case I want to run her without a unicorn, or for when in game the unicorn dies- but if it will mess with the model too much I won't do it- can always pick up another hag and paint a 2nd one.

Speaking of: What size base does a unicorn go on these days? Can't recall the last time I saw one used. Checking the GW site, it isn't even listed for sale. The great stag is mounted on a 50mm, is the unicorn too? Stats are about the same. Kind of hoping it is a 50mm base- will give me more room to work with ;) The Bretonnian damsel on unicorn is on a 50mm isn't she? so likely the wood elf is too.. but GW has deviated from consistency before.. 8-[

GoogleBot

Postby GoogleBot » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:03 pm

I did indeed mean those trees and what did you use to make the leaves?

Thanks for answering :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:51 pm

GoogleBot wrote:I did indeed mean those trees and what did you use to make the leaves?

Thanks for answering :)

No problem :)

The leaves.. well, not individual leaves to be sure.. wow that'd be tedious ;) I was going for a Spanish Hanging Moss look. I did my GCXII tutorial on that- think it was December- the months tend to drop back several pages. But I also copied it over to the Heelan Hammer Forum after they mentioned it, so they could find it easier. It is here:

http://heelanhammer.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=967

GoogleBot

Postby GoogleBot » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:51 pm

Cheers I was looking for a different look for some dryads and I think I found it :D

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:19 am

Poor sluggish progress for me on the Bayou this month.
I got a late start, the conversion took me longer than expected, and was too busy with commissions to get much time for this guy the last couple weeks. Add to this, I head out of the country for many months of travel in just a couple weeks, and came to the late confirmed decision to rent my house while gone, and move when I get back, since might move not much later on anyway- might as well make some money off my house & not have it empty afterall... so I've been very busy, and still am.

So a few work in progress shots of the swamp dragon. I have a rider for him, not pictured, because i'm only about 90% sure it's the one I'll use. I won't get a chance to work on this fellow again until September or later, so will see if I change my mind on a rider later. The rider will be removable though, so I could do a couple different rider options.

On to the dragon:
ImageImage
I've made him a true dragon, giving him arms.
All the chain mail has been replaced with ragged leathers. The metal head armor will be painted like car bouilli leather.
ImageImage

I was torn about removing his horns. Might look more like an alligator without them, but they do help balance out the model compared to the wide wings. I like his low-cunning look he has.. seems very gatorish to me.

I'll be traveling with lighter minis ;) so next up will be dryads & cav :mrgreen:

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:30 am

Repeat. just ignore :mrgreen:

grahknar

Postby grahknar » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:27 pm

This is probably the best dragon that GW have released since the great spined dragon in the mid 80's. I've been saving to get one for my orc army, got a grand total of £15 so far :oops:

starwolf666

Postby starwolf666 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Nice idea for a dragon.
A bit alligatorlike indeed.
Love it..

mousekiller

Postby mousekiller » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:35 pm

Great conversion mate, great bases, and great army.

Here is me jumping on the croc wagon as well.

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Wed May 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I haven't been around here as much, since I'm at the other end of the world at the moment, and will be until September, with increasing amount of travel as the months get on, but I have managed to complete a small update for the GCXII project nonetheless and started next month's too. I won't abandon these swampy elves! :mrgreen: Despite my failure to finish the dragon in time in April :oops: who will have to wait until my return home. The army won't be complete by the one-year mark because of the traveling, but will be close and I'll finish it soon after.

So I did some Dryads, which are simple enough, but challenging due to painting in travel-mode, with limited room & resources, like having to brush on gesso for primer & brush-on matte varnish. ugh! give me a spray can!

I apologize for the picture quality.. not so great without the luxury of my studio photobox, good lighting & proper software for re-balancing the light. Oh well, at least I got some models finished :mrgreen:

I enjoyed painting these dryads. At first I was considering adding the hanging moss to their branches... and may, but doubtful: I think it will just be too heavy looking and dominate them rather than balance them. Not sure how well it will show in the poor photos, but the dryads were color based on different shades: light bone-grey, dark grey, yellowish, brown, light green-grey. then given the same color washes, so they're similar but with different under-tones.

so: pictures:

Now, a preview of what is next: the Glade (cut & replace with 'Gator') Riders.
I'll have 2 units of 5, and also 1 unit of 6 Wild Riders. Here is the first unit of Archer Cav so far, one base is a 50x50 so that the 2 gators will both be standing in the same large pond.

Aelorien

Postby Aelorien » Wed May 12, 2010 5:51 pm

As a long time avid wood elf player and painter I have to say this army is awesome. It looks, great, cohesive theme, and good "counts-as" models. I find myself consistently looking forward to updates of this thread. So great job and its inspiring me to get back into painting, which I have not done for a while. Absolutely love the treekin! I wish I could come up with ideas like this for just my typical forest dwelling elves.

Jeff Wilson

kevandthingy

Postby kevandthingy » Sat May 15, 2010 3:02 pm

Wow... Just wow.

What an awesome theme, cool paint scheme and some brilliant conversions! I'll be keeping an eye on this blog for sure!

Out of curiousity, is that the Orc Wyvern?

Keep up the good work!
Owns
10000pts of Vampire Counts
10000pts of Dark Elves

Chris white: 'That's some 5 year old lazy s**t, you spend all that money getting some nice models an f*** them up by trying to paint them with your feet'

GumbaFish

Postby GumbaFish » Sat May 15, 2010 4:30 pm

The cold ones seem like a good fit instead of horses, though I was almost expecting some sort of giant frog or dragonfly riders.
My club 200 log (Mostly circle orboros)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=125765&p=1492457#p1492457

Walex

Postby Walex » Sat May 15, 2010 4:39 pm

GumbaFish wrote:The cold ones seem like a good fit instead of horses, though I was almost expecting some sort of giant frog or dragonfly riders.

Frogs have the wrong proportions to be horses.

Market feedback

Rules are boring but games are fun, don't get bogged down in the former and the latter takes care of itself.

GumbaFish

Postby GumbaFish » Sat May 15, 2010 5:30 pm

My club 200 log (Mostly circle orboros)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=125765&p=1492457#p1492457

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Sat May 15, 2010 8:51 pm

kevandthingy wrote:Wow... Just wow.

What an awesome theme, cool paint scheme and some brilliant conversions! I'll be keeping an eye on this blog for sure!

Out of curiousity, is that the Orc Wyvern?

Keep up the good work!

Thanks & Thanks Aeloren! :mrgreen:
Yes, the dragon is the newest Orc Wyvern from the character, skulls & gribblies clipped, chainmail covered with ragged leather, and forearms added courtesy of a Tyranid.

GumbaFish wrote:The cold ones seem like a good fit instead of horses, though I was almost expecting some sort of giant frog or dragonfly riders.

yeah, frogs would be too big around, but if I ever add warhawk riders I'd do them as riding something like the dragonfly dragon I did.

Overhamsteren

Postby Overhamsteren » Sun May 16, 2010 3:37 am

It's probably just the awesomeness of your other stuff but the dryads seem a bit boring. Maybe the hanging moss could be the solution.

Some of the best dryads I've seen have their faces more defined I think oldfogey has somehow done this as well although the face and chest is the same color. http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69620

You also have white/bone and very light browns and blues in the army I think it could help to use some of those to make the dryads pop a bit more.

Hope you can use some of that and I must say I can't wait to see those raptor riders. :)
give up. sniff glue

GooberNumber9

Postby GooberNumber9 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:31 am

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”