PE's Lizards Blog -=Tetto'Ekko Conversion=- September 9

This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

Phoenixenvy
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

PE's Lizards Blog -=Tetto'Ekko Conversion=- September 9

Postby Phoenixenvy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:34 pm

So, after a false start, I have begun my Lizardmen army in earnest. To begin, I got some better (still working on the photo-fu) shots of the notorious Coatl. In addition, I've finished my squad of 5 Terradons, and the 9 Skink Handlers for Sallies & Razordons. The whole theme of the army is sort of an "out into the wild" force with a heavy natural, less templish, feel, centered on the Coatl, who I see as the wild counterpart to the Slann, and who will be serving as my Slann general. Although not relevant to these first units, I have been adding feathers around, and trying to keep at least the nod of the coatl theme throughout. After painting VC for so long, I'm excited about bright colors, and am interested, as always, in comments and criticism.

Two other points: In general, reptiles in our world have eyes matching in color to their surrounding skin, so I have kept with this. It doesn't make the eyes pop, it's true, but it also saves me from Blank Stare Syndrome. Also, I have decided that skinks will have crests in colors matching their assigned duties. The Terradon skinks, therefore, have crests & marking matching the flesh color of the Terradon wing membrades, while the Handler Skinks have a bright orange coloration to match the (upcoming) Salamanders.

The Coatl:
(This is the thread on how the Coatl went together: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56745&hilit=coatl)

Not much to say on this guy that hasn't been said. He's got a very glossy body, but that isn't really showing in the photo.

The Terradons:

I put these guys together from an older vintage of terradon models and some of the riders from the metal stegadon kit as I preferred them to the riders they came with. In the end, I really like the wild acrobatic cirque-du-soleil style vine harnesses they're employing as reigns & counterbalance to huck javelins. The water bases were my first attempt using water effects epoxy, and I think they came out pretty well. There's always room for improvement. I intend to use this style base also for the Chameleon Skinks if they ever join the ranks.

Handler Skinks:
As skinks go, I like these models alot. I wanted them to be unified in case I field a unit of 3 sallies, but the plants on their bases conveniently mark them in groups of three in case multiple singles are required.

Last edited by Phoenixenvy on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
This is how it seems to me, life is only therapy - Real expensive, and no guarantees.

Vampire Blog, Lizards Blog, Eldar Blog

Comrade Igor*

Re: Phoenixenvy's Lizards Blog -=Welcome, Warmbloods!=- June 24

Postby Comrade Igor* » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:55 pm

I would prefer the skink's scales to be highlighted as currently the body features blend into each other, but other than that they look great. The bases are stunning.
Where there's a Whip there's a Way

Phoenixenvy

Postby Phoenixenvy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:07 pm

Comrade Igor* wrote:I would prefer the skink's scales to be highlighted as currently the body features blend into each other, but other than that they look great. The bases are stunning.

Thanks! I went back on forth on the skin & scale color quite a bite, but I ended up liking this the best. The scales are coated in gloss, whereas the skin is flat, so it does have a little more depth to the 'real' eye. I may add some touches of the 'marking' color to the scales of the skirmishing & cohort skinks as they are less exciting models overall.
This is how it seems to me, life is only therapy - Real expensive, and no guarantees.

Magos Explorator

Postby Magos Explorator » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Your Coatl looks really nice finished. The bases work great--of course the models are good, too! :)

Phoenixenvy

Postby Phoenixenvy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:21 pm

Magos Explorator wrote:Your Coatl looks really nice finished. The bases work great--of course the models are good, too! :)

Thank you, sir. Couldn't have done it without ya! ;)

xcatXfishx

Postby xcatXfishx » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:01 pm

Looking good. Did you convert the bases at all to contain the water effects?

Phoenixenvy

Postby Phoenixenvy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:20 pm

xcatXfishx wrote:Looking good. Did you convert the bases at all to contain the water effects?

Yeah.. it's a slightly trick affair the way I did it.. but basically I cut the center out of the 40mm standard bases, leaving only the outer 'frame' which I then glued down to a piece of styrene, sealing the internal seam with extra cement. After giving that a day to dry, I glued in the plants and rocks, painted up the interior, and then after another day, poured in the epoxy resin.

Gundamfly

Postby Gundamfly » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:58 am

Looks great, especially the water bases. It will be interesting to see how the coatl will fit with the rest of your army but I see some great potential.

Zredden

Postby Zredden » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:03 am

The coatl looks ace and I love the terradon bases.

Zombieneko

Postby Zombieneko » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:49 pm

Now THIS, is made of awesome and epin.

arrantdunce

Postby arrantdunce » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:53 pm

These terradons are so cute)
Good work on painting them and.. yes - bases are awesome.

Phoenixenvy

Postby Phoenixenvy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:04 am

I'm not in the habit of posting too many WiPs, but I really like the way this fella is coming along. It's essentially only basecoated with overbrushing and drybrushing on the scales, followed by some washes.

wyldkarder

Re: Phoenixenvy's Lizards Blog -=Stegadon WIP=- July 2

Postby wyldkarder » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:37 am

the coatl is great, but my favourite bit is the water bases - they have inspired me to try water effects myself (something I've only done a couple of times).

what is this expoy resin of which you speak?
how do you get hold of it?
is is dangerous/tricky to work with?

Phoenixenvy

Postby Phoenixenvy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:06 am

It's only tricky and dangerous in that it will be very difficult to remove from anything you accidentally spill it on, and wants a good delivery method into the bases. I would have liked to have used a syringe, but I didn't have one, so I ended up pouring from a small cup. It worked fine, but I did get a little spillage. The only other trick is to make sure the base frame is truly sealed all the way around. I had a leaker, which could have been disasterous. Also, be sure that you pour them on the surface they can stay on for about 24 hours. I had to move mine, which was also foolish, and a bit like carrying an overfull martini full of glue.

The resin I used came from the silk flowers section of the craft shop, and is called Everlasting Elegance. You simply mix 2 parts of one bottle with 1 part from the other bottle, stir it up nicely with a stick, and pour away. It's generally used to simulate water for permanent silk flower arrangements, but I find it works perfectly for this. It is cheaper than the stuff they market to hobbyists, it always dries clear, and will set no matter how thick your layer is, unlike some others. It is designed to be used a half liter at a go, so at the scale we use, it sets up super fast and perfect every time.

It looks like a similar product is sold in the UK under the name Aquallusion (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquallusion-Flo ... B000NZFT7G), but it is sold out everywhere I could find online! If shops that carry crafting supplies are prevalent over there, you may simply be able to walk into one and find it. It's usually about US$30 for a kit, but it's truly enough to do an entire army up on water bases if you wanted, or several large pieces of scenery.

Avian

Postby Avian » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:13 am

Very nice. Your patience with the bases is truly impressive. :)

Phoenixenvy

Postby Phoenixenvy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:20 am

Not much of an update, but since I was trying to trade this Tetto'ekko conversion away (as I realized I'll probably never use him) I had to get semi-decent photos, so I figured I may as well put them up. He's primed white, so is very camera shy, but I tinkered with the levels a little to help show the detail. I basically built the model directly from the fluff, since it was rather descriptive. I took the standard Slann palanquin and added the circle of stones with a celestial theme to carry the "Palanquin of Constellations" idea. It shows poorly in the photo, but each stone in the ring is inscribed with a double spiral pattern, so there is a good amount of detail there to match the palanquin. I also added a variety of adornments to the main platform area, as Tetto'ekko is explained to be the keeper of the City's artefacts, many of which he ferries around with him on the Palanquin. There are several skulls of different kinds, a staff, some totems, and a mask. I've got a 40mm base and flying rod for him, of course. Tetto'ekko himself was modeled from the skinks kit, with the addition of the empire celestial wizard staff end, as his staff is very specifically described as having the mystical Orrery that he uses in game, and feathers to bring it back to Lizardmen. I modeled his cloak from green stuff by hand, with a feather & scale brooch, trying to make it look primitive. My goal with the cloak/expression/pose was to make it look as though he was in the midst of summoning a mighty storm (i.e. casting Uranon's Thunderbolt or something). I also modelled a little Comet of Cassandora counter for him, as I thought it would be handy, and I had the bit.

And, if by chance, someone wants to have him for their very own, and love him, and call him George, feel free to PM me..

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”