Phoenixenvy's Eldar -=*Second Wraithlord (pose)*=- August 27

This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

Phoenixenvy
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Phoenixenvy's Eldar -=*Second Wraithlord (pose)*=- August 27

Postby Phoenixenvy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:16 pm

Now that I'm back up to speed with 40k rules, I'm also back into the swing of painting up my Eldar army. We won't talk about the Orks I've been collecting (dust) for 15 years and their ever increasing unpainted numbers.

The colors you'll see across everything are variations on Liche Purple, Jade Green (discontinued), and a pearlized white that I can't quite get to photo right. If anyone has suggestions on this, please, let me know.

Last week, in a bit of a sprint, I got busy doing up two Falcons and two Waveserpents. I wanted vehicles of the same type to be similar, but not identical, and I wanted the two types of tank to be distinct and easily recognizable while still looking like a part of the same force. I felt like, being transports, the waveserpents would want to be a little more camo/discreet, whereas the falcons could afford to be flashy and ballsy with the DAKKA DAKKA.

As mentioned in another post, I decided it was time to hit 'the next level' and challenge myself to some freehand work as well. I think it went well, but there's always room for improvement. I won't be painting a three dimensional trompe l'oeil harlequin face on anything any time soon. Also, I made all of the weapons here interchangeable, and they're not painted yet >.> I do realize that they're missing.

Falcon 1 - "The Sword of Vaul"

Falcon 2 - "Starfall"

Waveserpent 1
ImageImage

Waveserpent 2
ImageImage
Last edited by Phoenixenvy on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
This is how it seems to me, life is only therapy - Real expensive, and no guarantees.

Vampire Blog, Lizards Blog, Eldar Blog

Phoenixenvy

Re: Phoenixenvy's Eldar Blog -=*New, and Exciting?*=-

Postby Phoenixenvy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:20 pm

I've also been working on my Wraithlord in a similar scheme, borrowing the starburst details from the falcon. My intention is to maintain a celestial bodies theme of stars, comets, etc throughout where appropriate. I will do the jetbikes up with comets, I imagine. I still haven't figured out the basing on these fellas, so all of them will be without at this point. Again, we're faced with my weak photofu vs. the pearly white finish.

Even though I already owned 3 of the old metal kits, I thought this new plastic one was just too awesome to pass up. I have seen alot of really cool looking poses done, and I think mine falls somewhere in the middle. The "come and get some" gesture I think is subtle, but alot of fun for me.

This is how it seems to me, life is only therapy - Real expensive, and no guarantees.

Phoenixenvy

Postby Phoenixenvy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:22 pm

Lastly, I've put some time into Fuegan, the Burning Lance, Phoenix Lord of the Fire Dragon Aspect Shrine. I like Eldar, they have flowery names. Overall I'm really happy with him (less so his photo) with the exception of the haft of the Fire Axe. I did it in bone to match the Lance, but it just doesn't go for me. At the same time, I can't imagine what else I might do with it, so for now it sits. I did the scales and tassle in the same green formula as the rest of the army, and the gemstones in purple, as a nod to the craftworld colors.

EDIT: Now that my resolution mystery is resolved, I replaced the photo above with a higher res photo.
Last edited by Phoenixenvy on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daddy troll

Postby Daddy troll » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:33 pm

Must admit, not too keen on the serpents but it's all personal. I really like the falcons though, the colour scheme is very striking. The freehand is pretty good.
Be pure, be vigilant, behave!

Screw that Clinton, I ain't goin' up there...

Any of you lily livered varmints want to slap leather with me?

Ding-dang-dhu

Postby Ding-dang-dhu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:01 pm

The white is very special. It really stands out on the Wraithlord.

Your painting skills are very good, I'll be keeping an eye out for more.
Evisceratus wrote: You can’t do much in a game of toy soldiers when fate is poking you in the eye and tweaking your nose at the same time.

My Feedback Thread can be found here viewtopic.php?f=68&t=97892

boosterburn

Postby boosterburn » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:44 am

Freehand looks very nice. I like the color scheme as well. Something looks off about the canopies to me, but I cannot figure out what it is. Now show some infantry!

Phoenixenvy

Postby Phoenixenvy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:13 pm

boosterburn wrote:Freehand looks very nice. I like the color scheme as well. Something looks off about the canopies to me, but I cannot figure out what it is. Now show some infantry!

What is.. infantry? >.> Actually, next on the list are guardians and wraithguard, so your wish is granted.

bobzebub

Postby bobzebub » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:54 pm

Great job on Fuegan especially, this will be a really nice army whem its finished =D>

Phoenixenvy

Re: Phoenixenvy's Eldar Blog -=*Wraithguard & Bonesinger WIPs*=-

Postby Phoenixenvy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:32 pm

All told, I've got 10 guard and the bonesinger I'll mostly be fielding as a Spirit Seer to make them a troops choice. Bonesinger makes a fine Farseer too, I think, but I've got a regular farseer model & Eldrad to cover those duties. Still working on these guys, obviously, but the color scheme is mostly blocked in at least, with the majority of the green & purple done, along with the gemstones and some gold. The pearly white still needs alot of cleaning up and a few more layers to make it smooth and shiny. I'm at a little bit of a loss on a couple of things and would appreciate input. The Guard are actively trying to impersonate the Wraithlord, so by the time all is said and done, they should be very very similar.

1) What color should the stocks of the wraithcannon end up? I am using that gold color for all of the weaponry in the army, but for larger pieces like those and artillery, I can't justify going all gold.. that borders on tacky in a big way. I thought black, but that's probably just an uncreative solution. Bone would be another option, a la Fuegan, but I'm not sure how exciting that would be.

2) How many of the bumps (on both models) are additional spirit stones, and how many are just bumps? This is a question I face with EVERY Eldar model, and I've seen it go alot of different ways. I definitely want the models to be detailed and interesting, but not gaudy. The Harlequins will have that covered.

Spiritseer

Wraithguard

Phoenixenvy

Re: Phoenixenvy's Eldar Blog -=*Wraithguard & Bonesinger WIPs*=-

Postby Phoenixenvy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:13 am

Spurred on by the upcoming Planetstrike event this weekend, I felt the need to wrap up the entire Undead wing of the space elves. No one had opinions to offer on the WIPs, so I was left to my own devices! ;) This is the result. I ended up converting the helmet the tiniest bit since the damn thing came apart anyway, and I really wanted him to look more warlocky and less farseery since that's his permanent role in my force.

Also, I haven't based any of the Eldar as yet.. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what to do. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free. I wanted to go with a craftworld type basing, but I'm not sure how easy that would be as I would be looking for crystalline looking static grass and such.

I also did a neat trick with the Autarch I was building.. not being one to commit when options are available, I magnetized this fellas banner & swooping hawk wings options. Once I open the other kit, I'll magnetize that body and the spider jump pack option as well so I can always have what I want.

Last edited by Phoenixenvy on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenixenvy

Re: Phoenixenvy's Eldar -=*Pathfinder Camo WiP*=- July 22

Postby Phoenixenvy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:01 am

Nothing too exciting, just trying to work out my Pathfinders. I was inspired by those colorblindness tests, as seen below. C&C welcome, as always. For the non-Eldar geeks, the rune in the pattern is the Rune of the Outcast. Up close, the blotches seem a bit big, but they give a fairly good 'visual hum' at a few inches away. I may or may not need to add another shade into the green area.

Tommm

Postby Tommm » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:00 am

I quite like the camo, the off colours (from what you'd expect of camo) also kind of blend into the whole stars/galaxy theme. As you haven't used much bone for the wraithbone weapons somekind of light stone paving that blends into the boney spurs may work. It might also be quite a hassle to do it now they're on bases.

superfiend

Postby superfiend » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:27 pm

I'm red-green deficient. Does that color blind test have a number three in it?

Phoenixenvy

Postby Phoenixenvy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:39 pm

superfiend wrote:I'm red-green deficient. Does that color blind test have a number three in it?

Interesting.. that's actually an intended result.. It's an 8, but the lines making the difference between the 3 and the 8 are a slightly different shade.. more orange, while the part you see as the 3 is more purple.

thlu0501

Postby thlu0501 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:33 pm

I REALLY like the scheme of the army. keep up the sweet work =D>

Phoenixenvy

Re: Phoenixenvy's Eldar -=*Pathfinders, basing*=- July 27

Postby Phoenixenvy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:37 am

Alrighty, Pathfinders are done, and I've figured out a basing scheme for the army. I've gone with a rocky planet (multi-tone grey gravel, pure black stones) experiencing something like our early spring around here - particularly hearty grasses pushing their way up in spite of the melting snows. I went ahead and simply replaced the old photos of the Wraithlord, Wraithguard & Bonesinger up further in the thread, rather than just show yet another picture for just the basing. The Wraithlord at this point just needs a couple bits (the rune and missile, notably) painted, and then they're all done.

Regarding the pathfinders, I went ahead with the pixellated camo as above, and then treated it with a refractive pearl finish that goes from invisible to explosively reflective bluish-tealish-purplish light depending on the angle. For this reason, you'll see various states of this on the models. I tried to capture different angles for that reason, but they are all done in the same way.

superfiend

Postby superfiend » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:14 am

Phoenixenvy wrote:
superfiend wrote:I'm red-green deficient. Does that color blind test have a number three in it?

Interesting.. that's actually an intended result.. It's an 8, but the lines making the difference between the 3 and the 8 are a slightly different shade.. more orange, while the part you see as the 3 is more purple.

Haha! Figures. On the off-topic subject of color blindness, I've been bewildered my entire life by the usefulness of jungle-style camouflage. Every movie I've ever seen with marines in the jungle, like Predator, I always sit there and say to myself:

"I don't know why they wear that crap. I can see the guy plain as day.
<bad guy walks by guy in camo, oblivious to his presence>
Oh c'mon! How did he not see him sitting there..."

Then a few years ago I saw some blurb on discovery channel where people with red-green deficiency are really good at picking out drab or tan colors, like those used in camouflage. ;)

On topic, the models are coming a long nicely, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the basing.

Phoenixenvy

Postby Phoenixenvy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:19 am

Can't say I've done any painting lately, since I've actually been playing, a state of affairs I like. Not really that exciting, but I put some work into this fella, and I decided to add a little cinema to his base, so he warrants a photo. Or 3. Sorry about the pixellation and my chubby fingers, but it was late, and I wasn't inclined to get the photo setup going.

I figured if I ever wanted to see Guardians on the table, casualties would be their best role, ideally casualties I didn't have to pay points for, so here he is. I'm not sure what the protective gesture of an undead elf robot looks like, but this was as close as I could figure. The outstretched arm and the corresponding shoulder will both have magnetized mounts for heavy weapon options. Most of the 'Lord is out of the box, but I re-posed his left leg & knee using a piece of his hip joint to fill the gap, also separated the fingers on the right hand to make them look spread out a bit. The guardian is just out of the new kit, legs clipped up a little bit and body filed down to reposition them. The head came out of the Dire Avengers box, a nice spare bit for those of not wanting to make a (Ignore me, I'm an idiot) looking DA exarch with no helmet and a funny headdress. (No offense to those kicking it old school).

Renaissance Homer

Postby Renaissance Homer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:28 am

Man, that kit has improved since the metal one I had ages ago.

Looking good, finished the Bastion yet?

Phoenixenvy

Postby Phoenixenvy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:21 am

Renaissance Homer wrote:Man, that kit has improved since the metal one I had ages ago.

Looking good, finished the Bastion yet?

The plastic kit is miles ahead of that old metal one, which is why I have two of them, in spite of having a metal one already built and two NiB that I will probably never open!

The bastion got it's quick coat of paint for the Lucky 13's game, and that's where it's holding for now. I'm trying to open a restaurant, so hobby time is pretty limited. >.< I built this during our club's Tuesday night get-together, as if I don't force myself into some time off I'll go nuts, and then finished it while reading resumes last night.

eyeolas

Re: Phoenixenvy's Eldar -=*Second Wraithlord (pose)*=- August 27

Postby eyeolas » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:13 pm

I can't help but feal the front foot looks like he's wearing high heals

awsome none-the-less :D

Bramm

Postby Bramm » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:21 pm

They look great, but the white, looks Awesome, any chance of writing the receipe of that down here :)?
Would be awesome :]

Phoenixenvy

Postby Phoenixenvy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:13 am

Eye - Yep, he wears heels, and kicks butt.. that's just how Eldar do.

Bramm - It's pretty straight forward, but it takes a particular product, which I'm not sure you'll be able to get. What I did was prime white, paint several coats of white, then painted in shadows in black, and finally put on several coats of a pearlized finish. The one I used is called Delta Ceramcoat Pearl's Finish. I know that some of the big name art suppliers like Liquitex and Windsor & Newton make a pearlized medium for acrylics, which may also work, but this was just a $3 bottle from the craft shop. Anyway, I put several layers of that over, basically until it's good and smooth, and also until the black turns into a color I like as the shadow.

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”