Scythes of the Emperor - A blog - UPDATE 30 Sept 2013

This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

dakari-mane
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Re: Scythes of the Emperor - A blog (Update 12-10-09)

Postby dakari-mane » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:24 pm

Lupus wrote:Amazing work, can't believe that I missed this!

Sorry couldnt resist :wink:

That said why has this thread died?
CAUTION! This person will not take playing with his toy soldiers seriously!

Chairperson of HATE Club.
HATE Club now every Wednesday in London:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/hackneyaretabletopenthusiasts/

Skcuzzlebumm

Postby Skcuzzlebumm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:16 pm

dakari-mane wrote:That said why has this thread died?

Andrew has finally gone insane from painting too much fine detail onto tiny models?
Sero Sed Serio
Its a game about war, not war about a game

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:05 pm

right....
well....
I think we can all agree I have been a bit slow with the updates!

If anyone is interested I was painting some Tau among other bits and pieces.
You can see them here on the friendly ATT forums:
http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic ... 22&t=15634

But delays aside, I am happy to be back on to doing some new Scythes, so I present:

Brother Servius
Even before the coming of Hive Fleet Kraken, Brother Servius was widely regarded for his fine marksmanship skills and unnerving accuracy. In the aftermath of the destruction of Sotha, Servius has become an exemplar for ballistic competency, cementing his position as the finest shot of the chapter, picking off foes with his custom boltgun 'Vengeance of Sotha'.

Despite only serving as a full battle brother for a little other a decade, Sevius has already earned 6 markshmanship awards for his many displays of impressive accuracy. His most recent award came during the fierce defence of Giants Coffin on Miral, where he successfully stopped a charging carnifex at extreme bolter range with a precise shot through the eye of the rampaging monster down into its brain stem.

Servius is a quiet individual who can sometimes seem aloof to his fellow brothers. While they may occasionally joke about 'Serious Servius', there is no one else his brothers would rather have providing them covering fire.

I am secretly a penguin in a clockwork man-suit with plans to rule the world

Chairman of The WPS
Member of The Bristol Vanguard Wargaming club in Bristol.

Magos Explorator

Re: Scythes of the Emperor - A blog - ITS ALIVE! 22-4-10

Postby Magos Explorator » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:40 am

Sevius is looking great. :) The tau are nice and clean, too! Hope for more updates soon.

Daddy troll

Postby Daddy troll » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:30 am

Really nice Tau but I thought you would have had enough of painting white after the sisters.

Brother Servius is looking good (note the great British capacity for understatement). If I was to be hyper critical I would mention the top bolt round in the open magazine, it doesn't look curved, more like it extends under the cover of the magazine rather than being cylindrical, but that's being ultra picky - great job.
Be pure, be vigilant, behave!

Screw that Clinton, I ain't goin' up there...

Any of you lily livered varmints want to slap leather with me?

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:32 am

Daddy troll wrote:If I was to be hyper critical I would mention the top bolt round in the open magazine, it doesn't look curved, more like it extends under the cover of the magazine rather than being cylindrical, but that's being ultra picky - great job.

Fair point - I think its mostly due to the way the magazine is moulded (its a spare clip i cut off a terminator storm bolter.) The top round is a little 'stretched' on the piece.

Chairman of The WPS

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Well I am still slow at finding the time to get these done, but I have managed to finish another scout! So its time for another little update.

Neophyte Flavius, the Last Sothan
When the Scythes evacuated from their home planet of Sotha, they tried to bring as many potential aspirants from their home-world with them as they could, recognising the needs of the chapter.

While the Scythes have since been forced to recruit candidates from a much wider base of planets in order to secure the future of the chapter, those last few Sothan aspirants have been tested and those who passed have been incducted into the Scout company.

Flavius was the youngest Sothan aspirant to be rescued and has only recently joined the Scout company after passing the appropriate tests. As such he is probably the last Sothan to receive the geneseed of the Scythes of the Emperor and represents the end of an era to many of his older brothers.

Flavius himself is all too aware of the weight of expection placed upon him and so strives to be a model Scout, attempting to be an exemplar to his brothers. Flavius has a level head, and is completely dependable to follow orders and acheive squad objectives. If he has a flaw however, it is that he sometimes expects too much of himself and takes any failure as a hard blow to his morale, no matter how unrealistic his aims may have been.

Last edited by FalcesImperatoris on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chairman of The WPS

minigiant

Re: Scythes of the Emperor - A blog - UPDATE 9-7-10

Postby minigiant » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:12 pm

keep it up, well worth the wait
URGENT Need as many Classic OOP Chaos Champion as possible, PM me if you can help

FalcesImperatoris

Re: Scythes of the Emperor - A blog - UPDATE 9-7-10

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:15 pm

Been finding it hard to make the time to do these guys, but I finally got round to finishing this guy off who I started back late last year.

Hope you like him!

Brother Ortez
Ortez, along with most of his squad mates, was on the Heart of Sotha battle barge patrolling the Damocles Gulf borders with the Tau when Hive Fleet Kraken struck, so thus he surived the destruction of the rest of the first company on the homeworld Sotha. On hearing the fate of Sotha, Ortez and his brothers made all hast back to the Scythes, arriving just in time to rescue the remnants of the chapter from their last stand on Miral.

Ortez is driven by his great faith in the Emperor and the Imperium of mankind and he believes Astartes chapters such as the Scythes are the greatest hope for the future. Ortez fights with passion, and he will destroy anything that stands in the way of the Imperium and his chapter.

Chapter Master Thrasius has noted the strong faith Ortez displays, and has marked him down for possible training as a Chaplain. In these darkest hours of the Scythes, they need men like Ortez to light the way for their brothers!

Chairman of The WPS

Contemplating
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Scythes of the Emperor - A blog - UPDATE 13 Feb 2011

Postby Contemplating » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:46 pm

:D Finally an update on your brilliant blog, Love your work, painting and all, and really dig your background stories. Keep them coming =D>
Remember that fear always lurks behind perfectionism. Confronting your fears and allowing yourself the right to be human can, paradoxically, make you a far happier and more productive person.

Tubis

Postby Tubis » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:24 am

It`s stupendous! Your blog is awesome, the little storries telling the background of each marine are what realy makes it great.
Last edited by Tubis on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:48 pm

I really like the weathering details. The chips pop out so well on the yellow while the black is beautifully neat and understated. In fact the overall attention to detail is just awe-inspiring - I'm not surprised it is taking you so long, Andrew!

This is going to be a truly fantastic little force when it is done - something to treasure. =D>
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Proud to be a member of the Bristol Big 'Uns

Zechs

Postby Zechs » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:30 pm

I'm not one for necromancy, BUT as I was looking through this year's Golden Daemon photos I saw something familiar.

Frankly it deserved the gold IMO, but congrats anyway! :)

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:16 pm

Zechs wrote:I'm not one for necromancy, BUT as I was looking through this year's Golden Daemon photos I saw something familiar.

Frankly it deserved the gold IMO, but congrats anyway! :)

Technically its not necromancy if this thread is not dead :D ... its just goes 'dormant' for very long periods of time between updates as other things get in the way of me painting Scythes.

I will get back to painting more Scythes soon... I even have some stuff built and ready to paint. (but with a new baby on the way soon, I have little time for painting at the moment. I also have an old traitor guard army that I am curretly giving a quick update to - which may get its own little blog or picutre collection on here first if people are interested?)

As to winning a demon, thanks. I was just glad to win one whatever colour it was! (after many painful years of near-misses) -there was some strong competition this year, so it was a real surprise as this was my 'just in case' entry. It tried it and it missed out a couple of years back, so I gave it a tiny tweak over and tried it again this year on the off chance as I still felt it was a good piece.

(My main entry in Warhammer monster made the final, but didn't place - maybe I should wait two years and try that again? :) - I might load some photos of my monster up if I get round to photo-graphing it.)

Chairman of The WPS

Zechs

Postby Zechs » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Well it's a cool and original conversion, the colour scheme is not an overused one and the details are phenomenal.

And yeah, we'd love to see more of your stuff. Maybe you oughta just make one big blog instead of spreading the pics all over several threads.

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Mon May 07, 2012 5:39 pm

Wooo! An update!

Ok, its been a while and with family commitments I have little time to paint these days, but I have recently been making some time and have got another guy done.

Hope you like him. (for old school nerds: can you spot the Kraken campaign badge?)

Brother Gaius
At the claws of Hive Fleet Kraken the Scythes lost many battle brothers accross the chapter, with little over 100 marines surviving the ordeal. Many highly decorated squads were completely wiped out and in some cases entire companies were obliterated.

Brother Gaius is the sole survivor of the 7th Company. He fought alongside his company as they gave their lives in ship boarding actions, the defence of Sotha and finally to the stand on Miral where the last of his company brothers fell.

The guilt of suviving and the keen loss he feels for his brothers has had a marked effect on Gaius. Where he was once calm and professional, he now acts with aggression, teetering on the edge of control. In other chapters such behaviour would likely be treated by the apothecarium or the librarium, but the Scythes do not have such luxuries available to them. So Brother Gaius has been assigned into a new squad alongside the cool-headed Servius, in the hope that the expert marksman can curb his behaviour.

So it is that Brother Gaius goes to war to battle monsters both external and internal, trapped in the past and haunted by the ghosts of the 7th.

Last edited by FalcesImperatoris on Tue May 08, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chairman of The WPS

spikyjames

Re: Scythes of the Emperor - A blog - UPDATE 7 May 2012

Postby spikyjames » Mon May 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Lovely as per usual mate, not really much more I can say :D

Looking forward to the next update.

James

Contemplating

Postby Contemplating » Tue May 08, 2012 4:08 pm

Stunning =D>
Remember that fear always lurks behind perfectionism. Confronting your fears and allowing yourself the right to be human can, paradoxically, make you a far happier and more productive person.

jeffybaby

Postby jeffybaby » Thu May 10, 2012 2:48 am

Wow, I never thought I'd see a Space Marine rocking the Teacup Hollywood Weaver with a boltgun. Awesome.

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:49 pm

Woohoo an update!

Inspired by the release of the new marine Codex, I have dug out my yellow paints and got to work!
Maybe if I keep at it, I may get an army finished in this edition of the game....

As for this model, those of you with long memories may recall good old Sergeant Reaper from the box art of Advanced Space Crusade where he appeared on the side of the box. I thought I would do a modern version of him with some cool new equipment (and without the scythe shaped earing which always looked a bit dubious) to a 'post-kraken' version of him. He is also sporting some cool new scars too.

I hope to be able to get back to work on these guys more regularly, so hopefully it wont be a year and half to the next update!

Scout Sergeant Reaper

Sergeant Reaper has been training Scythes neophytes for over a century and is the most efficient and successful instructor the Scythes have ever had. More neophytes have passed through his care on their journey to full battle brother than any other Sergeant past or present and he has an almost legendary status within the Chapter.

Reaper’s training methods are harsh and brutal (some would say they border on the abusive) but there is no denying he gets results. Neophytes in his care are swiftly transformed from naïve aspirants into battle hardened warriors of skill and cunning. The future of the chapter rests with the instructional skills of men like Sergeant Reaper.

In the aftermath of Hive Fleet Kraken, the grizzled sergeant continues his work much like he always used to. His valuable experience fighting the Tyranids (particularly in hive-ship boarding actions) being passed on to the next generation. The sergeant has recently traded in his stock bolt pistol and chainsword for heavier duty weapons, his stated reason was “best to prepare for the worst... and then kill it.”

Chairman of The WPS

Sven

Re: Scythes of the Emperor - A blog - UPDATE 30 Sept 2013

Postby Sven » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 am

Sweet-sauce! Great to see this project reanimated! :D
I really hope this army gets finished :D!

Cheers,
Sven.
My Feedback:
LINK

Magos Explorator

Postby Magos Explorator » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:49 pm

Sven wrote:Sweet-sauce! Great to see this project reanimated! :D

I agree!

Really nice job on this sergeant, it works very well. I like the power fist/claw conversion.

Tubis

Postby Tubis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:16 pm

Awesome, he looks realy tough!

Mahlek

Postby Mahlek » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:49 pm

MOAR!!!
Fantasy;
Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Empire, Vampire Counts

40K;
Necrons, Tau, Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Eldar

porkaborg

Postby porkaborg » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Holy turd nuggets , that sergeant makes me want to paint space marines ... and I don't want to paint space marines ..
wooow...

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”