Scythes of the Emperor - A blog - UPDATE 30 Sept 2013

This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

FalcesImperatoris
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Re: Scythes of the Emperor - A blog (Update 18-8-09)

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:10 pm

OK - time for a big update on what I have been up to!

Firstly - the completed quad bike....

Brothers Enoch and Faustus
These two warriors have been close friends ever since they both passed the initiation tests all those years ago on Sotha, and have progressed with their careers together since then.
Enoch is aggressive and headstrong and tends to act from instinct, while Faustus likes to keep a more level head and act from logic.
Despite these differences they have a good sense of what each other is thinking and work well as a team, which makes them an ideal pair for assignment to an attack bike. They have an excellent sense of what the other is likely to do in any given combat situation.

Their current mode of transportation is a prototype pattern attack bike, recently developed by Scythe Techmarines to deal with more rugged terrain and tyranid swarms without being bogged down. Enoch and Faustus have made some minor modifications themselves for field operations, and tend to carry a diverse supply of equipment as they often range far in the field and need to be able to handle any problems they encounter.

Next up I have my terminator Librarian. I got the inspiration for him from the old Space Crusade and Tyranid attack games. For those who dont remember, in the games certain event cards allowed you to come accross 'cocoons' on board tyranid hive ships and rescue a survivor who would then join your team of scouts. For some reason this was always a Scythes of Emperor Librarian. Well I wondered what would happen to these guys afterwards.... and so thats where the idea for this guy came from.

First up early WIP shots of the build:

Codicier Phrixus
Phrixus was hit by a psychic blast and fell unconscious during one of the early boarding actions by the Scythes against hive fleet Kraken. He remembers little of what happened after this other than he was cocooned up in some sort of organic life support system. Whlie he was captive in this, he could feel the pressure of the hive mind pressing in on his skull... probing his mind...
Phrixus has no idea if he was in that cocoon for days, weeks or months but eventually an ultramarine scout party rescued him during a raid they were undertaking.
Phrixus accompanied the Ultramarines back to Macgragge where he underwent extensive genetic and psychic testing to ensure he was free from corruption. Passed as appearing clear, Phrixus took his leave and made his way in Search of the remaining Scythes - using his psychic powers he eventually succeeded in tracking down the Heart of Sotha and re-joining his brothers.
However... Phrixus has noticed that he has started to experience an increase and fluctuations in his psychic ability... whether this is something he has developed on his own, or if there is something more sinister behind this is a question that troubles the Codicier.
In the meantime, his brothers are in great need of his talents - and Phrixus puts his unique insight into the workings of the Hive mind to good use, making him a formidable anti-tyranid warrior.

Last edited by FalcesImperatoris on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am secretly a penguin in a clockwork man-suit with plans to rule the world

Chairman of The WPS
Member of The Bristol Vanguard Wargaming club in Bristol.

Tim Fisher
Painting Judge

Re: Scythes of the Emperor - A blog (BIG Update 27-9-09)

Postby Tim Fisher » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:30 pm

These are great, gotta love the back story and the little touches to make each guy an individual. =D>
Bananaman

Then he turned into a Daemon, and so did all his mates.

GumbaFish

Postby GumbaFish » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:54 pm

I love your librarian, much better than the metal one in TDA I think. The attack bike looks good as well, the trike ones never looked right to me so its good to see a different take on a quad.
My club 200 log (Mostly circle orboros)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=125765&p=1492457#p1492457

Zechs

Postby Zechs » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:50 pm

That quad conversion is as great as your painting skills. Awesome job!

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:13 pm

More news: I have also been working on the Scythes background history with a friend, which has resulted in the fancy document below.

Hope you all enjoy. :)

http://www.the-scythes.com/scythes_report_low_ed1.pdf

Chairman of The WPS

Skcuzzlebumm

Postby Skcuzzlebumm » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Have i ever told you how much i hate you Andrew :lol:

Must say i am looking forward to seeing these in the flesh at the final (assuming of course that i qualify, you do (well you will) and they are finished).
Sero Sed Serio
Its a game about war, not war about a game

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:53 pm

Skcuzzlebumm wrote:Must say i am looking forward to seeing these in the flesh at the final (assuming of course that i qualify, you do (well you will) and they are finished).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

the devil is more likely to be ice-skating to work than me getting these finished in time for the final!

It takes 20-30 hours per 'basic' man (The Libby above took 60-80, and bike was in the 100-150 range) - and I have another 20-30 men to do of various types, along with support vehicles and other bits etc.

The final 'Next' year might be possible - if I push it. :wink:

If I am very lucky - I might be able to get 500 points together for the doubles in January. (as that only involves me painting about another 9 models) Should be achievable - if I can produce them at a fast rate of one every week or so....

Chairman of The WPS

scarletsquig

Postby scarletsquig » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:34 pm

That .pdf is fantastic, very well researched and well-made.

Worthy of publication, really, I'd send it into WD and see what they think. Might earn a place on the website at least. :)

Tim Fisher
Painting Judge

Postby Tim Fisher » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Sir, I salute you. :D
Bananaman

Then he turned into a Daemon, and so did all his mates.

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:23 pm

In the picture above the Librarians face is poorly lit, and as a couple of people have mentioned it to me, I thought a better lit close up would be appreciated.

EDIT: Took some better photos than the ones here previously:

Last edited by FalcesImperatoris on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chairman of The WPS

Zechs

Postby Zechs » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:59 pm

I second the idea to send that beautiful work to WD, along with pics of your beautiful models.

As for the librarian's face, the focus is off, for starters. Try using super-macro ;)

minigiant

Postby minigiant » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:05 am

Congrats on the GD win with the Bike
URGENT Need as many Classic OOP Chaos Champion as possible, PM me if you can help

bobzebub

Postby bobzebub » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:05 am

My eyes bleed from the unspeakable awesomeness :shock:

Sven

Postby Sven » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:49 pm

minigiant wrote:Congrats on the GD win with the Bike

Second that.
It was a jolly recognition of familiar work. Really cool!

Cheers,
Sven.
My Feedback:
LINK

UberTek

Postby UberTek » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:10 pm

Awesomeness =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Lawrence
salute.co.uk
minipainter.co.uk
"Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no. "
J. R. R. T.
Malifaux Neverborn
GC XII Warriors of Chaos
Iyanden Eldar Blog Thingy

Feeback Thread

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:26 am

minigiant wrote:Congrats on the GD win with the Bike

Thanks... but I didn't actually win - I was only a finalist.
Though its nice to have my bike up among the GW picutres of the finalists.

From watching the judges I think I came 4th/5th or something like that.

(I seem to manage to get to this position every year... it takes a lot of skill to walk the razors edge of "almost... but not quite good enough" you know. :P)

I am hoping that sooner or later I will win something by accident.

Chairman of The WPS

MarkE

Postby MarkE » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:26 pm

Absolutely stunning marines and that quad is awesome!

You'll win something for sure if you keep at it and being finalist means you've made the elite mark - take it for what it is, perhaps not The star but nonetheless a star :wink:

LongFang

Postby LongFang » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:26 am

Great work can you share receipt how did you make that base for attack bike?

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:09 pm

LongFang wrote:Great work can you share receipt how did you make that base for attack bike?

Its easy to do - just cut a large base in half with a hobby saw, then expand it out using thick plasti-card, and just fill the gaps with green stuff. (you can see the joins if you look carefully along the sides.)

Chairman of The WPS

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:45 pm

Update time.

This guy is based on idea from a short story in White Dwarf 306 - page 54.

Brother Tobias
Tobias was involved in possibly the first boarding action by the Scythes against Hive Fleet Kraken. The boarding party had no idea what they were about to face...

The nighmarish conditions on board resulting in the deaths of all the boarding party with the exception of Tobias and Sergeant Remas - though Tobias was gravely injured and barely alive.

Their damaged shuttle drifted through space out of the system and it was by pure chance that the Ultramarines came accross the two lost Scythes on board. Taken back to Macragge, the best Apothecaries worked hard for several days to rebuild the shattered Tobias. Given the extent of the damage, few expected him to pull through, but by some miracle Tobias made a recovery.

After returning to the Scythes with Remas and Phrixus, Tobias has entered into full service with the chapter, though the heavy brian damage Tobias suffered has resulted in a major loss of memory leaving the giant Astartes silent and dour except when in the heat of battle.

Tobias is currently using a new prototype 'hailstorm' patter heavy bolter, developed by the Scythes in response to warfare with the Tyranids. The hailstorm fires lower caliber rounds than the normal pattern heavy bolter, but more than makes up for this with a much higher rate of fire. However few can manage the recoil of the weapon on foot, even among astartes - the giant Tobias being a rare exception.

Chairman of The WPS

Atlarge

Re: Scythes of the Emperor - A blog (Update 12-10-09)

Postby Atlarge » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:26 pm

So I see somebody finaly found a use for those burst cannons that come with suits =D>
Looks great. I might have shortened the barrels like they did on that old GW article, but that may have made the gun seem too disjointed.

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:57 am

Atlarge wrote:So I see somebody finaly found a use for those burst cannons that come with suits =D>
Looks great. I might have shortened the barrels like they did on that old GW article, but that may have made the gun seem too disjointed.

Actually it’s a burst cannon from the chin mount on a piranha. (with the back end trimmed thinner)

Crisis ones are a touch too big, don’t look as nice and have this odd tapering to a point effect which doesn't look right.

Chairman of The WPS

Maestro

Postby Maestro » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:10 pm

I can't help but feel that the barrels look too clean and new, Some soot at the ends of them to show useage might look better..

Daddy troll

Postby Daddy troll » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:34 pm

As always, superb painting but there is a but...

I can't help thinking that the burst cannon barrels simply look "stuck on" the end of a heavy bolter. They look too obviously like separate bits when with the best conversions you shouldn't be able to tell it's a conversion at all. The barrels of the burst cannon don't line up with anything on the heavy bolter section.
Be pure, be vigilant, behave!

Screw that Clinton, I ain't goin' up there...

Any of you lily livered varmints want to slap leather with me?

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:06 pm

Maestro - the ends of the barrels are darkened a little with inks etc. - it looks better in real life, but does seem a touch flat in the photos I agree.
I might have another look at the model and add more weathering if it looks like it needs some.

DaddyT - I know what you mean.
The heavy bolter was slightly bulked out underneath, with the addition of a small piece of half-tubing in front of the ammor feed so that the rotary barrels fitted better at the bottom. Its probably not noticeable in the photos, except in the shot from behind.

The problem with adding the barrels is that I either need to completely change and bulk up the main gun (in which case it doesn't look like an imperial pattern heavy botler anymore - as well as getting too big) or else find or make barrels that are a bit smaller. (which wouldn't be quite right either as it would be a bit weedy and weak.)

So I made a slight compromise on this, and added the barrels to the heavy bolter in the best middle fit there was.
(the top barrel lies just above the shell ejection point in the line of the gun - and is close enough it looks like it can fire when you sight down the gun from the side.)

I agree that the barrels do look particularly 'stuck on' in the photos (especially the one from the front where the additional width is noticeable.) He actually looks much better when standing in among his squad.

If I spent more time on him, I would have been tempted to make further alterations and resculpt bits of the gun - but as he is supposed to be just a normal trooper, spending too more time on each guy would be a bit mad and would mean that the army never gets finished. :)

Thanks for the feedback guys - I do appreciate the comments and can bear points in mind in future work.

Chairman of The WPS

Atlarge

Postby Atlarge » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:05 pm

the way this style of gun works in real life is the barrel spins and lines up with the chamber that holds the round. So only one barrel would need to line up with the main body of the bolter at a time. The conversion doesn't look any more absurd than any of the GW weapons, in my opinion. I would have probably lined up the top barrel with the ejection port, but frankly barrels not lining up with the ejection port is a GW staple. If you go back to it you may want to add a little bulge for a motor and maybe lower the barrels a half centimeter or so.

//guntalk

Papawolf

Postby Papawolf » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:14 pm

simply excellent painting

FalcesImperatoris

Postby FalcesImperatoris » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:03 am

Atlarge wrote:the way this style of gun works in real life is the barrel spins and lines up with the chamber that holds the round. So only one barrel would need to line up with the main body of the bolter at a time.

Yes - I know, though its not possible to line up the top barrel with the ejection point perfectly without the barrells under-hanging the gun significantly.
(I tried out various fits and it looked very silly and unbalanced like this, even if I tried to bulk out the underneath more.)

The position its in was the best-fit compromise I could come up with (short of rebuilding and sculpting a whole custom gun around the barrels, which looked like waaaay too much work to do for a tactical marine)

I just wanted to give him a chain-gun so that he looked a bit like 'the terminator' with his half metal head.

The fact the gun is silly and unrealistic doesn't really bother me that much - its the 40K universe after all. :)

Chairman of The WPS

Rone

Postby Rone » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:07 pm

Tobias is definitely my favorite of them all so far. The amount of detail and character in his face is fantastic. My only regret after reading this is that I can't find a CSM blog this good.

Anyways, kudos to you sir. =D>

Lupus

Postby Lupus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Amazing work, can't believe that I missed this!

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”