Lizzie Blog - 2000 points finished!

This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

FlashShoota

Re: Lizzie Blog

Postby FlashShoota » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:46 pm

My word, the quality on these models is incredible, they must've taken ages to paint. Let alone a whole army of them! The bases look awesome too.

:D

Phoenixenvy
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Phoenixenvy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:39 pm

I really love the bases.. which mold did you use to cast the cav base? Is it already the correct size? Also, where did the brass ferns arrive from? With my VC horde nearing completion (after 15 years), I'm looking toward doing up a really 'showy' lizard army now that my painting skills are developed a bit more.

Edit: After a bit more searching, was it the #281 mold you used? It looks like there is a 25x50mm piece in there.
This is how it seems to me, life is only therapy - Real expensive, and no guarantees.

Vampire Blog, Lizards Blog, Eldar Blog

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks people. Always nice to hear people like what they see :)

These guys are taking a lot of time. I wouldn't like to say exactly, and as I get used to the colours and paint scheme things will speed up considerably - I hope [-o< . I'll hazard a guess at 3 - 4 hours for a skink from build to finish, and 5 - 6 hours for the Saurus cavalry. That's with generous breaks in between :wink:

As for the bases, yes, they do come from Hirst Arts mould #281. I don't have the mould just a bag of the slabs I picked up from ebay. They are almost exactly 25X50mm. I was thinking of putting the skinks on similar bases but there isn't a 20mm slab as far as I know. They will get nifty jungle movement trays instead. There is 25X25mm one, so my Saurus are also going on these slab bases.

The ferns came from Hasslefree miniatures (http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/). I am finding them a bit hit and miss to be honest but they well worth playing with.
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Proud to be a member of the Bristol Big 'Uns

Phoenixenvy

Postby Phoenixenvy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:56 pm

Ah, wonderful.. I was thinking about picking up the mold and some Excalibur to try it out, but I will check eBay first. I didn't realize they were being sold. I tried searching for scenic bases, but I suppose I should be searching for dungeon tiles. Thanks for the link on the ferns!
This is how it seems to me, life is only therapy - Real expensive, and no guarantees.

redheadyoda

Postby redheadyoda » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:15 pm

I cry tears of joy at the beauty of it all :' ). Great job all around, wish I could paint half as good :( .

Demon Prince

Postby Demon Prince » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:28 am

The leaves of the base of the one skink makes the model really stand out from the crowd.
Cheltenham Warchiefs

THE PLEDGE
Bought - 135
Painted - 0...

One step at a time

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:31 pm

Cheers. All feedback greatly appreciated.

Had a chance to do a couple more Saurus Cavalry. This time a trooper and the champion. The champion may end up doubling as a Saurus Hero so he has had some special attention. He has a Temple Guard shield and head. The head was fine but the shield needed some green stuff work in order to fit onto the body correctly. I was tempted to do them all with Temple Guard kit at one point, but I think just one or two kitted out in this way will have more impact. Less is more as they say.

I have also put his Cold-one with the front foot on a slab of rock. This gives him a little more height and makes the unit look more dynamic when ranked up. The standard bearer will come later. I like to do all the standards at the end of the army when I am really comfortable with all the colours theme etc

Check out my blog

My feedback thread

bobzebub

Postby bobzebub » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:09 pm

:shock: Holy Moly you managed to make those nasty cold ones look, actually really good. Top notch paint work and modelling :D NIce

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:37 am

Sadly this will be the last update for a while as time is now more precious. I have just finished a test for the Saurus Temple guard which is the final 'standard trooper' that I will be wanting for this army. What follows now is the less fun bit of finishing off all the models to complete the units I have started :(

So, if only for myself, minimum to do before I can start the fun stuff again i.e. Slaan, Heros, Engine of Gods etc.

15 Skinks
1 Saurus Cavalry
15 Temple Guard

Check out my blog

My feedback thread

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Tue May 26, 2009 12:35 pm

It's been some time coming but here is a progress report. The pictures are a bit ropey but better ones will be done later.

I gave into temptation and completed my Engine of the Gods recently. Lovely model.

Although it is not obvious from the picture all the skink crew and the actual engine are magnetised so I can use the other set ups in the future if I wish. I thought this was going to be a nightmare, but because the skinks feet are mainly out of view it was a relatively easy job :D

I've have also completed two units of skinks (originally going for four units of ten, but I think three is more likely now), another Saurus cavalry (the standard to make a unit of 5) and 10 Temple Guard. Nothing major to report here but it is good to keep chipping away at these units.

Some thing a little more exciting is the Slaan. I knew before I started the army a Slann was a must. I managed to get my grubby paws on a Forgeworld version. I was a little nervous as it cost a pretty penny and from the pictures I was not convinced it was superior to the standard metal. How wrong I was! It's a great model with a really moody self-assured air to it - perfect for an ancient servant of the old ones.

The next challenge was getting a suitably impressive palaquin for his royal froginess to sit on. I tried all sorts of old palaquin models, had a look at scratch building one from Hirst Art blocks (like the bases) but eventually settled on the new metal version with a load of stegadon bits to spruce it up a bit.

The side arms need some chopping and changing, as did the stegadon plastics, and I've popped a bit from the Prophet of Sotek set (the cheeky lizard holding the plaque) at the top as this dude needs something plaque-like to represent magic items or being the army standard. The whole thing is a work in progress at the moment and cunningly held together with blu-tac.

The last annoying thing about the slann is that he will not sit in the middle of a 5 wide unit. I toyed with putting my Temple Guard 6 wide so he could sit in the middle, but the points rack up too quickly for so many models. I also thought about constructing a middle section of Slann Temple Guard all on one base, but the gaming implications bothered me. So in the end, and hopefully not obvious from the picture, the stem of his flying base is set off centre on the 50mm base. This means that his 50mm base is not in the centre of the unit, but crucially for aesthetic purposes he appears that way. I am a little worried he might topple, but the weighty plaster I am using for all the bases is doing to enough to lower the centre of gravity at the moment.

Anyways, enough waffle, onto the pics . . .

Check out my blog

My feedback thread

mikkjel

Postby mikkjel » Tue May 26, 2009 12:43 pm

The army is beautiful and the unique style of bases really makes it that much better.

CrazyOrc88

Postby CrazyOrc88 » Tue May 26, 2009 3:35 pm

I like the way that slann looks almost alien like, reminding you of the old ones that put him on the planet. Very nice job on the cavalry and I like the bases a lot. The bone bits are also painted very well, especially on the stegadon where it is important because of how much they stand out.

Phoenixenvy

Postby Phoenixenvy » Tue May 26, 2009 3:40 pm

I really like the way you are bringing out the reliefs with the gold.. how are you doing that?

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Tue May 26, 2009 3:53 pm

Thanks for the comments people.

The Gold is done as follows. Base coat scorched brown. Paint all raised areas with 2 - 3 thin coats of shining gold. Deep areas are left scorched brown while medium depth areas might get a one thin coat of gold. Wash scorched brown into the recesses. Wash camo green all over. Finally go back over the raised areas with thinned shining gold. If the camo green is showing too strongly in the recesses I wash over with some more scorched brown.
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Gavswine

Postby Gavswine » Tue May 26, 2009 6:17 pm

Beautiful Nick. I love the natural look you've got on the cold ones, and that Slann is awesome, you lucky man! I hope to see this in the flesh when finished. :D

Ikuturso

Postby Ikuturso » Tue May 26, 2009 6:22 pm

Those are some really awesome skinks, and the cold ones look even better! =D>

Edit: My god... only now I saw the stegadon and temple guard :shock:

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Tue May 26, 2009 6:26 pm

Cheers, Ikuturso. Glad you like the models :D.

Hey, Gav. Good to hear from you mate. What are you painting at the moment?

Sadly I don't see this army making it to many tournaments in the near future. There isn't a single WFB tourny I can make in 2009 at the moment :cry:. Will do my best to give it an outing if I possibly can.
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

superfiend

Postby superfiend » Wed May 27, 2009 1:37 am

LM rarely catch my fancy but yours are extremely well done! Good job I say.

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:41 pm

I have finished his mighty froginess. Had great fun doing him. The mage priest himself took about 1/10th of the time that his palaquin and base did, but hopefully he will make a good centre piece of the army.

As mentioned before he is the forgeworld model but the palaquin is heavily converted. It started life as the basic current metal version but has been pimped with various bits and pieces.

Most of the parts are from the new stegadon kit. Sitting above him is the chappy from the prophet of Sotek set, while on the base are a couple of skulls from the plastic giant set and a metal lizard from the jungle swarm blister. I have draped some brass etch ivy over the palaquin to make it look more ancient and jungly.

Also note how far off centre the stem of the flying base is! The lizard perched on the skull helps to balance the apperance of the complete model. I really didn't want to do it like this, but I want my temple guard five wide rather than six, and this is the best compromise I could come up with.

Not the most carefully taken pics, but these should give you a good idea. When the army is done I'll take some better ones.

Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Ikuturso

Postby Ikuturso » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:29 pm

I like him, the slann looks natural while everything else is very colorful and I like the amount of plants there is makes it very jungle like :)

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:00 am

Made a good amount of progress over the last few weeks. Nearly completed 2000 points and at that point I will have a change of project (Imperial Guard are awaiting!)

First up the Temple Guard unit finished complete with Slann. Nothing new to report here except the custom movement tray. Just a bit of mdf with more Hirst Arts tiles cut to shape to make the boundary. I am pleased that the Slann sits in the middle of the unit and dosen't topple over on his off set base - that was a big worry!

I keep reading about how good terradons are, so I had dig through my old stuff and found four old style models. I like these more than the new ones but the riders are awful. I also found some better riders in my old stuff. Three are from the newer style terradons and one, who will be the champion if the need arises, is an skink cold one rider. His terradon has a more bullish appearance which I am not keen on but at least he is different. If he is really lucky he may even get to be a skink chief one day :)

A lot of work has gone into these models. Apart from the new riders I repositioned the wings on two of them to make them more dynamic. For these two I have them in a dive position and for the sake of symmetry one going either way. I'm hoping this gives a balanced but dynamic appearance to the complete unit. The bases also have all sorts of gubbins on including cheeky lizards from the jungle swarm pack, some wood-elf branches with skeletons, a skull from the giant set, and one has a little spawning pool with a skink emerging complete with water effect.

As promised the skinks have got a movement tray. This has been a real pain to make. I fairly happy with the outcome but it could have been better. It is made from mdf and alpha K plaster. To be honest I mucked up the holes but they are usable. I could write a whole thread on the trials and tribulations of this one but I won't bore you with the details. Two more to make and I'm hoping they will be better jobs!

And finally a work in progress Gamezone Cold one. This chap is going to be a mount for a Saurus Scar Veteran. When I bought it I thought it may have been just about big enough to represent a Carnosaur. Sadly not, but it does make a different and rather impressive cold one for a hero.

So, to make the 2000 points just the Cold one hero, 5 skinks, and two movement trays to go :D
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Laughing Ferret

Postby Laughing Ferret » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:56 am

very nice lizardmen. a unique vision for them- the attention to tones really paid off.

your cold ones look nice- wanted to single that out specifically since while the new dark elf ones are without doubt awesome sculpts, I do like these lizardmen cold one models too- they're different, maybe more cartoony looking than the dark elf versions, but I think they can look very nice and their style can look good and be appropriate for an army- just needs good painting to bring them out, so nice job! I have a soft spot for them- i'm using them in a converted army project, so nice to see someone get them looking good :)

Dark Bryne

Postby Dark Bryne » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:19 am

Awesome work! The TG and Slann unit looks phenomenal!

Neil

Postby Neil » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:13 pm

I just love that Slann! Well done and keep it up!

Angelicus

Postby Angelicus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Amazing Lizzies! Wasn't really a fan of those Temple guard models previously...

Various questions

1: Where would one find those small ferns you've used for basing?
2: Also in that vain, what about those plants that look like Venus Fly Traps?
3: The lovely bone. Is that scorched brown up to straight bone in various mixes?

Noobasaurus

Postby Noobasaurus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:56 pm

props...I especially dig the CoR.

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:59 pm

Thanks for all the comments people. I've really enjoyed this army but I am keen to get it finished and move onto pastures new.

The ferns came from Hasslefree miniatures (they have a website so just goggle it). The Venus flytrap type plants are from the Imperial Catachan set (I think it is the heavy weapon team sprue but I get them from bitz sites on ebay).

As for the bone the recipe is: scorched brown base, mix in a little elf flesh to highlight, apply several layers increasing the amount of elf flesh, when pure elf flesh is reached start adding in skull white and keep going until you reach pure skull white. I would estimate you are looking at 10 or so layers on the bone of very thin colour. Time consuming but I think it is worth it.
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

scarletsquig

Postby scarletsquig » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:55 pm

Gamezone cold one would work very well as a horned one model.

nurgleonbass

Postby nurgleonbass » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:08 am

Very pleased to say I completed 2000 points worth today :D This involved finishing a third unit of skinks on their jungle movement tray and the Scar Veteran on cold-one.

I haven't pictured the other two movement trays for the skinks, but I managed to hone my technique and they look better than the first. Over the weekend a friend of mine convined me that Skink Cohorts might actually be quite good for redirecting charges and grabbing table quarters. Sadly this means I am going to have to knock up a 5 X 2 tray for my javelin unit and try it out. Oh well - it may even encourage me to finish the final unit of 10 javelins that I undercoated at the start of the project.

I have always been a bit nervous about the size and feel of the Gamezone Coldone compared to the GW ones. I'm quite pleased by the final result and the model doesn't look too out of place. In fact I think it looks great as a mount for hero but I'm sure someone will tell me otherwise if I am deluding myself.

Not the best pics but the light is a bit crappy today :(

Pleased to have got this lot to a playable list. I will be expanding it in the future to at least 2250 points, probably with the addition of some Saurus warriors. I have some ambitious plans for a Carnosaur conversion as well, but that can wait until I am bored of his Froginess. I'll probably do some more cold ones too when I get to that stage as I have always fancied a list themed around Kroq Kar's cavalry army.
Check out my blog

My feedback thread

nurgleonbass

Re: Lizzie Blog - 2000 points finished!

Postby nurgleonbass » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:34 am

And just for completeness, a few army shots.

Check out my blog

My feedback thread

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”