removing paint from carpet

This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

rabbit
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

removing paint from carpet

Postby rabbit » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:06 pm

Hi everyone,
I am writing this from the dog house. Tonight half a pot of Vermin Brown slipped off the table and landed upside down on the new cream carpet. The wife is far from happy. I'm not too chuffed come to that.

I've scrubbed it with 1001 trouble shooter to little avail. Any one got any hints, yips or clues?

Cheers everone

bruenor

Postby bruenor » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:09 pm

Dettol.

ureel

Postby ureel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:11 pm

:lol:

Who spilled the glue last time? :P

rabbit

Postby rabbit » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:30 pm

cheers, going to try and get some now. Would you use it neat or diluted?

Einholt

Postby Einholt » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:37 pm

rabbit wrote:cheers, going to try and get some now. Would you use it neat or diluted?

Personally I'd never ever use the stuff neat...unless you want the whole house smelling like a hospital :lol:

Ussually for house chores and dissinfecting you use it very diluted, something like one-two caps to a bucketful of water so try that first then add moreto the water if neccesary,
oh and I feel for ya man, I was pre mixing a pot of paint when cat green went flying onto the carpet, missus went berserk but luckily its an old dark carpet and the stuff I couldn't get out dosnt look that out of place or noticeable :whistle:

Goodluck

Einholt

MrJuice

Postby MrJuice » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:51 am

If you let it dry youre S.O.L. Once you spill paint like that you need to dilute it as quick as you can and get a detergent on it immediately.

OldFogey
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Postby OldFogey » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:25 am

It should be possible to clean it in exactly the same way as you clean your brushes - I normally use just water, but like has been said, you need to have tackled it immediately and kept it damp. Warm water and soap/detergent, for future spills. :?

Warcastle

Postby Warcastle » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:13 am

I know when I was a kid and still living at home, I spilt paint once.

I ended up trying to mix a shade of colour to match the carpet and painted over the paint Id spilt in a "similar" colour to the carpet.

Took my mum all of...oh about ten seconds to spot, but meh, worth a try.

Sovoth

Postby Sovoth » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:37 am

ureel wrote::lol:

Who spilled the glue last time? :P

Erm, that would be me.

It only cost me some new wood flooring.

Marlowe

Postby Marlowe » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:05 pm

Warcastle wrote:I know when I was a kid and still living at home, I spilt paint once.

I ended up trying to mix a shade of colour to match the carpet and painted over the paint Id spilt in a "similar" colour to the carpet.

Took my mum all of...oh about ten seconds to spot, but meh, worth a try.

I tried this once. It worked well and was chuffed my mum didnt find out, but was even more chufed when she spilt red wine on it and could not get it off. Ended up she got a new carpet.. Back to your dilemia! Best way is to get it while it is wet. but if it dries get some white spirits. it also a possability it will stain the carpet. Good luck

Gatlag Stonetooth

Postby Gatlag Stonetooth » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:13 pm

This should work:

Haha ok, lame I know... :P

You could try some of that "Tell sell" crap, they say it removes everything.
Quick N brite was the name.

Ding-dang-dhu

Postby Ding-dang-dhu » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:23 pm

First of all some flowers might help :wink:

I find my wife struggles to work up a bad mood if I throw her off guard with something nice.

Then try some ''Barry Scott'', and as get down and soak the area with hot soapy water.

Then keep fingers crossed :lol:

Michael Biggs

Postby Michael Biggs » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:38 pm

Fairy power spray takes paint off really well. I'd try it on an out of the way area first though...

Michael

rabbit

Postby rabbit » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:38 pm

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions on this. Last night I ran out to buy some Detto. The shop had none so I bought... Flash cleaner (well, I was desperate). I bunged it on and gave a good scrub!
Morning came and the carpet still had a lovely reddish hue, so off I went to the super market and got some Dettol, which I bunged on and scrubbed some more. By this time my wool carpet was starting to look like an afro hair do. (Sorry if that's not P.C.)

This afternoon a van pulled up outside my house. It was a carpet cleaner van. The lady down stairs was having her carpets done. I quickly ran down stairs and bunged the guy a tenner to come and shampoo my pooey red / brown stain, which he did.

It looks a lot better than it did last night - though not perfect. Thanksagain for all your help and I must remember in future that when I spill paint pray I can nick someone elses carpet cleaner man!

Todeswind

Postby Todeswind » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:45 pm

Vallejo or Citidel paints are wonderful paints but fairely easily stripped off of unwanted surfaces (i.e. carpet) I suggest making use of vodka (the cheaper and smellier the better).

Pour the vodka over the undesired smudge and wait for about 15 min, they proceed to scrub with steel wool to dislodge every bit that's ingrained in the carpet. Then make use of soda water and a rag to collect everything that you wish not to be on the carpet.

Surprisingly enough this is easier to do once the paint has dried. Once you've dislodged everything you can just vaccume it up.

This doesn't work on very shaggy or very soft carpet.

There will still be a stain, but at least it will be less noticable than the brown puddle.

BarbarianJ

Postby BarbarianJ » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:56 pm

Or just drink your cheep Vodka and suddenly things seem a lot less desperate. :D

Evisceratus

Postby Evisceratus » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:11 pm

Well, thank goodness I spotted this thread. Guess what I succeeded in doing last night. :oops:

I was just going out the door on the way to the gaming club when I remembered to remove an old name from a Bloodbowl player's base. My painting chair had junk on it so I knelt down and painted the name out whilst resting on the beige carpet.

I nonchalantly backhanded the pot across the carpet as I reached up to close the lid. I scrambled to get it upright, but I was too slow. Chaos Black on a beige carpet. Nice.

I think I may just go straight to the carpet-cleaning route. Bah. :x

rabbit

Postby rabbit » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:24 pm

Welcome to my world John. And as has been said before on this thread, " I feel for you."

ureel

Postby ureel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:33 pm

Karma does suck... I shouldn't have laughed 2nd post in this topic...

Was painting some terrain this afternoon and whilst trying to sqeeuze the paint out of a large bottle. (real paint no stupid way to small modelling paints :lol: ) A rather large blob squirted out onto the floor, which thank god was laminate. 5 minutes of scrubbing it was gone. :whistle:

Ureel

Vulcan

Re:

Postby Vulcan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:27 pm

ureel wrote:Karma does suck... I shouldn't have laughed 2nd post in this topic...

Was painting some terrain this afternoon and whilst trying to sqeeuze the paint out of a large bottle. (real paint no stupid way to small modelling paints :lol: ) A rather large blob squirted out onto the floor, which thank god was laminate. 5 minutes of scrubbing it was gone. :whistle:

Ureel

And there your winning suggestion: Don't paint in a carpeted room, if you have any choice.
Wrong Vulcan, you pointy-eared freak!

Jackson456

Re: removing paint from carpet

Postby Jackson456 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:20 am

Hello..
I am facing a problem with my home's carpet.., problem is that my kids doing painting and one color bottle is slipped on carpet by my kid..., and carpet color is light shed...,
So now I am too confused how to get a solution to this problem..????

Carpet rug cleaning service

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”