Spites Painting Blog - The Dwarfs Return

This is the place to talk about conversions and painting

Moderators: OldFogey, Keepers of the Peace

Spite
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Spites Painting Blog - The Dwarfs Return

Postby Spite » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:00 pm

Note: I'm also posting this on Bugmans Brewery, so will be copy/pasting each update here and there.

After sometime of not doing much with the many miniatures that I have (My last Army being my High Elves right up until the death of 8th Edition), I had the inkling to dive back in, so instead of painting the miniatures I have I've of course gone and started a new army, the Dwarfs!

Many years ago I had a Dwarf Army which I sold, some of my favourite Miniatures are in the old Dwarf Range from 6th Edition, the Dwarf Warrior box which made up Crossbows/Great Weapons and Hand Weapon + Shield was what I really wanted, since I find the new Warriors fairly ugly.

I managed to source 3 Boxes of the old Warriors, most of all on the Sprues which was a big bonus as I didn't fancy tearing apart built up Warriors and removing paint from them. Next was the Colour scheme, previously in the Dwarf army I had donkeys ago it was Blue and White and I wanted to bring it back.

The only thing I haven't decided on is the Static Grass/Moss on the Bases, I am looking suggestions on this, if anyone has any advice.

NOTE: Due to Photobucket being a bunch of a cockwombles, the images I previously had up have now been removed, I've retaken the Gyrocopter, Mordheim Treasure Hunter and Lord with Axe but you can see the full Unit of 20 Warriors in a later post.
Last edited by Spite on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Spite

Re: The Dwarfs Return - Spites Painting Blog

Postby Spite » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Update:

So after completing the first batch of Warriors, I moved onto one of my favorite models ever in the Dwarf Range - The Gyrocopter, specifically the latest edition Gyrocopter. My plan is to do 2 of the Gyrocopters and 1 of the Gyrobombers for a small Air Cav force, the model itself was quite fun to paint but as you might notice I botched the assembly of the Blades and had to fudge it to get it to sit properly, maybe it's just me being a wally but I couldn't find anywhere online about the blades being an issue.

So here it is, the Gyrocopter:

In my next update I'll likely add a Dwarf Character into the mix.
Last edited by Spite on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spite

Postby Spite » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Update:

To break up the pace of painting Warriors, I moved onto a model I've for quite some time but never painted, it's a fantastic model (among the many in the Mordheim range) it being the Dwarf Treasure Hunter. The Lamp was quite fun to paint, I saw it more of a lava lamp or some kind of Magic that keeps it going all the time at least that was my excuse that it looks like a Fruit Pastille lollipop.

Last edited by Spite on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Roon3y

Postby Roon3y » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 pm

Great models.. nicely painted. I do like a Dwarf army. Keep it up!

:D
http://peterooney.imgur.com/all/

2500pt Nurgle Marines
Necromunda - Ash Waste Nomads (WIP)

Chris S
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Postby Chris S » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:50 pm

Good work =D>

Maybe a little clump of flowers on the corner of each base.

I like the mining guy with his lamp :)
I must learn to add that last extra highlight to make my
models stand out more.

Spite

Postby Spite » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:32 pm

Update:

Thanks for the comments, I do intend to add some static grass at some point, when I find some I'm happy with.

I work from home 2 days a week so on those days I can easily paint in my lunch and straight after work, I finished this guy in 1 Day as of course it was a simple paint job, I didn't know really how to tie him into my army but I sneaked some blue in. It was one of the miniatures I had to have as he was the cornerstone of my previous army.

I'm still working on 40+ Warriors, the cleaning of the weapons and heads is taking some time, however I managed to pick up an Anvil of Doom from Ebay which was still sealed which is nice so likely while the grind continues I will give that a paint to ensure the dullness.

As ever any comments you have, critique or advice is more than welcome.
Last edited by Spite on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Spite

Postby Spite » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:12 am

Update:

So I'm still trudging along trying to get these Warriors assembled, so I decided to break up the pace with some character painting. I managed to get this guy done in one evening, I'm fairly happy with the results, the Red Gems are a bit too bright for my liking, I might change that at some point. Another classic model of the Dwarf Range, the Runesmith was another must for the army.

To make this update a little different, I took WIP Progress pics throughout and made sure to remember what I painted it with. Here goes:

Stage 1 - Base Colours (Over Black Undercoat)

Hammer Head, Rune Staff, Rune Medallions, Helmet - Leadbelcher
Cloth/Robe - Kantor Blue
Bags, Book, Skin, Gloves - Rhinox Hide
Beard and Base - Eshin Grey

Stage 2 - Highlights

Rune Staff, Rune Medallions - Balthasar Gold
Cloth/Robe - Alaitoc Blue
Bags, Book - Mournfang Brown
Skin - Mix of Cadian Fleshtone/Rhinox Hide (2:1)
Gloves - Mix of Mephiston Red/Rhinox Hide (2:1)
Beard and Base - Dawnstone

Stage 3 - Wash

I didn't take any pictures of straight after the Wash but here's what I did anyhow.

Rune Staff, Rune Medallions - Aggrax Earthshade
Cloth/Robe - Drakenhof Nightshade
Bags, Book - Aggrax Earthshade
Skin - Aggrax Earthshade
Gloves - Aggrax Earthshade
Beard and Base - Nuln Oil

Stage 4 and 5 - Final Highlights and Touches/Smalls Parts

Rune Staff, Rune Medallions - Gehennas Gold
Cloth/Robe - Alaitoc Blue, (2nd HL) Calgar Blue, (Final HL) Ceramite White
Bags, Book - Skraag Brown
Book Rope - Karak Stone, (2nd HL) Screaming Skull
Skin - Cadian Fleshtone
Gloves - Mephiston Red, (2nd HL) Evil Sunz Scarlet
Gems/Rubys - Mephiston Red, Aggrax Earthshade Wash, (2nd HL) Evil Sunz Scarlet
Beard and Base - Dawnstone, (2nd HL) Administratum Gray, (Final HL) Ceramite White

Lots of fun to paint, fairly quick to do and keeping the momentum going.

Spite

Postby Spite » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:15 pm

Update:

So because the Dwarf Warriors are taking so long to assemble and clean, I took some pictures of some Warriors of Chaos characters I did about a month or 2 ago, where I got back into painting. When 8th was was in its element, I built and painted a Warriors Army with a very bland colour scheme, because I mainly have always been more of a gamer than a painter (Warrior Blog: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=119428) however these models specifically I felt like were very akin to their Chaos Gods and painting them with my bland scheme wasn't going to cut the mustard, so I never got round to them but recently picked up the brush again and went to town. These are also some of the best models out of the range so happy I painted them the way I did.

Exalted Champion of Khorne on Juggernaught:

Exalted Champion of Tzeentch on Disc:

Exalted Champion of Slaanesh on Foot:

Exalted Champion of Khorne on Foot:

Not sure why, but the Red on the Khorne Foot Champion appears way brighter in picture than in person. The Champ on Jugger took a lot longer to paint than the rest, I think I did at least 8 or 10 Highlight Layers on the Red (for some reason it doesn't look that way at all!) and the Slaanesh Champions Armour was a real please to paint.

I'll be back with some Dwarfs soon enough, I've made a few more eBay purchases of Miners, Lord with Axe, Bolt Thrower and BSB. So plenty to crack on with!

Spite

Re: The Dwarfs Return - Spites Painting Blog (With some WoC)

Postby Spite » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:31 pm

Update:

Had a few days break from painting, enjoying some Sniper Elite 4 instead, however to get back into the swing of it I painted a Thane. The model I really like however painting it I didn't enjoy at all, I didn't feel it was my best effort and the paint went on a bit too thick in places.

Dwarf Thane:

ImageImage
ImageImage

I've been on a search for a few Minis, I picked up some over the last week or 2. 10 Miners, Anvil of Doom, Engineer with 2 Pistols and a Than with Axe on Oath Stone. I've never been a fan of the Miners until recently with this Project made me want a unit, looking forward to painting them, same with the Anvil.

Here's a picture of my Painting/Hobby area, my desk has my TV, Monitor and Keyboard on it so there's no room for much of anything else, so I use these stacked up boxes...works well. :)

I'm after some more fine detail brushes, I seem to burn through them very fast, maybe I'm doing something wrong, any advice would be appreciated.

Currently this is my list of stuff to assemble, clean and paint:

Trollslayer (Mordheim Model)
Runelord (Latest Plastic Model)
Runesmith (8th Metal Version)
Thane (Mordheim Treasure Hunter Box)
Belegar Ironhammer
Thane on Oathstone with Axe
Engineer with 2 Pistols

Miners x10
Warriors with Great Weapons and Shields x10
Crossbowmen x15 with Shields
Warriors with Hand Weapons and Shields x20

Bolt Thrower (Metal, Latest Edition)

Thanks!

Chris S

Postby Chris S » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:18 am

Your small but very adequate painting area tells me how bloated mine has become with so many paints and static grasses etc etc etc that I will probably never use it all, oh and boxes of minis that still need assembling and painting.
models stand out more.

Spite

Postby Spite » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:53 pm

@ChrisS, well I don't have much room so I have to keep it tidy and compact.

Update:

So after getting bogged down with painting Warriors, I've finally completed another 10 (post incoming soon enough) but I realized I hadn't painted enough Shields so once the last 2 are done I'll do another update. However I also painted a Runesmith in the meantime.

A mistake I made with this batch of Warriors and the Runesmith was that I put too much black spray on and it came out a bit too heavy as such parts of the beard/face/armour and wrist band don't look as good. Overall I'm still happy with the model just I need to be more vigilant with spraying from now on.

Here he is:

So after doing some research, it turns out I take really poor care of my Brushes so first thing I'll be doing after the Bank Holiday is over is ordering some Brush Cleaner and some Winsor Newton Series 7 Brushes.

So far on my pickups I got myself the Limited Edition BSB which I was umming and ahhhing over (the model I'm not super keen on) he'll be a nice addition to the rest of the army. I've also been picking up random odds for Brets and Tomb Kings as likely they are my next Projects.

Currently this is my list of stuff to assemble, clean and paint:

Trollslayer (Mordheim Model)
Runelord (Latest Plastic Model)
Runesmith (8th Metal Version)
Thane (Mordheim Treasure Hunter Box)
Belegar Ironhammer
Thane on Oathstone with Axe
Engineer with 2 Pistols

Miners x10
Crossbowmen x15 with Shields
Warriors with Hand Weapons and Shields x20

Bolt Thrower + 3 Crew

Spite

Postby Spite » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:44 pm

Update:

As I said in my previous update, I finished 10 more Great Weapon Warriors, so here they are! Definitely took my longer than my first batch, I just wasn't as motivated to get them finished especially with another 30+ that need doing. Again the mistake I made like with the Runesmith was the Spray going on too heavy and I also went a bit mad with the Brown Ink on the flesh causing it too pool on the faces of this batch, for the next batch I'm definitely going to slow down a bit to make the quality better.

Dwarf Warriors with Great Weapons and Shields inc. Standard Bearer and Musician:

Whole Unit (20):

Very happy overall how the unit turned out, there's plenty more to get done however, I'll also be getting to use the unit for the first time as I'll be having my first game of 8th Edition for some time in a few weeks, since we haven't played in so long, me and my mate will be doing huge game of most of our Models, so I'll be doing a combined force of my High Elves and the small Dwarf force I have.

I do need to get some Movement Trays and magnetize the Dwarfs, hopefully I'll have time to get a Bolt Thrower done before the game in 2 weeks. I'll definitely be taking some pictures of the game for sure.

Enjoy!

deng_ham

Postby deng_ham » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:06 pm

These look exelent. Where is not many things that measure up to compleeting a good sized unit. I really like the blue you have done, nice and clean, on the runesmith and thane. The skin however could do with a little more contrast for my linings.
Remember your weakness, your enemy will, and
remember your strengths, your friends will.

Spite

Postby Spite » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks for the comment, I have 1 way to do my Flesh....and that's about it. I should spend longer with the characters on the Flesh but I find I struggle to get Flesh to look good when I paint, I have a Mordheim Trollslayer to paint soon enough so when I do, I'll likely look up some extra Tutorials.

Spite

Postby Spite » Mon May 08, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi everyone,

Been a while since my last update, it's been a busy month so I haven't got a lot done. I played my massive game of 8th with my friend, 5,000pts a side, was a lot of fun to say the least. We were using some modified Storm of Magic/Khaine Rules, so magic was 4D6 a side! I was using a combi list of High Elves, Empire and Dwarfs with the Empire being the mainstay of the list. I can't remember exactly but I wanted to use only my painted models so I ended up with something like this:

Balthasar Gelt
Archmage
Loremaster
Sorcerer Lord
BSB
Spearmen Block
Swordmaster Block
Archer Block
2 x RBTs
Skycutter
2 x Steam Tanks
2 x Cannons
2 x Mortars
Massive Knightly Order block
Shadow Warriors...lots of em
10 x Outriders
Dwarf Lord
Runelord
Longbeards Block
Phoenix Guard Block

Versus his:

Malekith The Eternity King
Warlocks....lots of em
Dark Riders...lots of em
Shades....lots of em
Witch Elf Block
Executioner Block
Cold One Knight Block
Big Crossbow Block
2 x Hydras
Kharidbyss
2 x RBTs
Phoenix Guard Block
Wild Rider Block

Some highlights were:

- Recasting Searing Doom to blow Malekith The Eternity Douchebag off the face of the table T1
- My Cannons and Steam Tank misfiring and blowing themselves up
- Eternity rules Elves are stupid as can be...
- A general bloodbath on both sides, not much left to tell the tale

Few pictures of the game below:

Was a real blast to play some Fantasy again, I'm eager to get the rest of my Armies painted. The next update will be some Miners, I've just finished them but better off separating the posts.

Thanks!

Spite

Postby Spite » Mon May 08, 2017 2:44 pm

So in this update I'll be showing my newly painted 10 Miners, have to say these Minis are full of character and make my want to get a ton more to paint up (I'm still looking to get the command anyhow). I'm also really pleased how they came out, the beards I tried to give a lot of attention too. Trying to make them somewhat different than each other with the Highlights.

How I did this was I did a Grey base for 5 Beards and a Brown Base for the other 5, then a wash. Think in total I used about 10 different paints to highlight each of them and it worked really well.

Here they are:

Only thing that bugged me is that there's a few mould lines that I couldn't get rid of, as seems to be the case with Metal Minis, they are an absolute sod to clean up and I didn't spend anymore time doing the flesh, however this will change in the future!

Thanks.

Chris S

Postby Chris S » Sun May 14, 2017 9:18 am

I like your painting style it looks clean and quick and the end result is very good =D>
models stand out more.

Spite

Postby Spite » Mon May 15, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks @ChrisS that's nice to hear. I'm not sure if it's fast tbh, maybe it is. I find myself to be quite a slow painter but when I have motivation I'll generally get something done, I won't leave it half way so if I'm working on a unit like the Miners I'll be awake till 1/2 am getting them done because I want to finish them.

As for clean, I've always considered myself to be a very messy painter and require a lot of work to make something look clean. As for my style I stick to the easy method of the Rule of 3 I guess (even though its really the rule of 4):

Which is Base Paint > Wash > Highlight > Highlight

This has always worked for me and only on some Characters I tend to shy away from this, probably why it's possible I do paint faster than what I think.

Spite

Postby Spite » Thu May 25, 2017 3:40 pm

Update:

So things have been a bit hectic and with a change up of my technique, models are taking a lot longer to complete, I've no doubt I'll speed up eventually. For todays update I've finished a Bolt Thrower and 1 Crew Member. The other 2 Crew are taking some time to finish, once they are done I'll post them up. I am really pleased with the result of the extra time taken on the Crew Member, looks a lot cleaner.

Bolt Thrower:

Crew Member:

Still on my list to complete is:

Ltd Edition BSB
BSB
Mordheim Trollslayer
Engineer
Thane
King Alrik Ranulffsson and Shieldbearers
Belegar Ironhammer
Runesmith
Runesmith
Mordheim Treasure Hunter

Anvil of Doom

Crossbowmen x10
Warriors x20

More updates to come!

Spite

Postby Spite » Thu May 25, 2017 11:08 pm

Since I posted the Bolt Thrower, I decided to crack on with the rest of the crew and managed to finish them in 1 evening. Really happy with the results, I'm also painting the Ltd. Edition BSB but might move back onto the Warriors and get them all sprayed and get the bulk of the army complete.

Here's the rest of the crew!

Crew Member 2:

Crew Member 3:

Bolt Thrower and Whole Crew:

Dwarf Army - What's been painted so far:

Enjoy!

Spite

Postby Spite » Sun May 28, 2017 1:04 am

Another quick update. For some reason, everytime I say I'll be moving onto something else I do something completely different.

So for this update instead of Warriors or BSB or Anvil....it's the Mordheim Troll Slayer, I had a bit of an itch to paint while the FA Cup Final was on so cracked on with it and a few hours later and many many flesh layers I finished him. I quite enjoyed painting the model, I've had it since it came out but never bothered to paint it (along with many other models).

Here he is: (I swear one day, I'll get some decent looking photos and lighting)

Any comments/criticisms are welcome! Enjoy

Spite

Postby Spite » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I last updated. I've been a bit sick and then enjoying the British Summer (it only lasts about 3 days so you gotta enjoy it while you can), so haven't had much motivation to paint at all. However I've picked up a few bits for the Army, I've really come around to liking the 6th Edition Metals and probably looking to do a complete collection. I've just starting the search for some Doomseekers from the Storm of Chaos era (the great times of Fantasy).

Anyhow here's some pickups I made recently, been after the Flame Cannon for ages and to get in box and sealed along with the Thunderers and extra Miners, I'm super happy with and paid a fair price for them from a nice Swedish gent. The Thunderers I wasn't sure I wanted, previously when I had the Dwarf Army in 6th, I hated the models but seeing them now I really like them (plus I have a distaste for the new Plastic Thunderers which I really don't like at all).

Onto some painting! I finished the Limited Edition Battle Standard Bearer, this model was a sod to paint, the hair goes all over the model and covers some parts making it awkward painting for myself. I'm OK with how it turned out in the end but I definitely felt like I could've done a better job. The model also falls over so easy being metal and weighted because of the Standard, which is really annoying. I'll have to solve that at some point.

Here it is:

I've still got a fair few Characters to paint and the rest of my list keeps getting longer, I also picked up some Long Drongs Slayer Pirates which need cleaning up. The Crossbowmen and Warriors are forever on my painting desk, I will get round to them it's just that painting 30+ models at once doesn't appeal to me at the moment. We'll see what happens, I'll prolly crack on with them soon enough I just need a bit of motivation one day.

Anyhow enjoy!

Spite

Re: Spites Painting Blog - The Dwarfs Return

Postby Spite » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Update:

After a month or so break due to working a lot and not much else, I'm back on the painting train (somewhat) and trying to get some momentum to keep painting and updating the blog.

Anyhow I've had these Dwarf Crossbowmen sat on my painting table for some time, in fact I did them when I did the first batch of Warriors when I started this Army, it's just that the Crossbows themselves are a sod to clean and paint and there's nicer models which I wanted to move onto, but I've finally done 5 and here to show them, one thing I am working on still however is the Shields as I prefer to do them in large batches.

Dwarf Crossbowmen:

Onto the good stuff! I still was adding models to the Army but not painting them (the classic collector) and I picked up some real nice bits for the Army. I've been seeking the Makaisson Goblin Hewer for a while as well as the Doomseekers, they give me some great memories of playing 6th Edition and the Storm of Chaos Campaign (along with some disgustingly beardy SoC lists, Seafearer list anyone?).

To go along with the Thunderers I picked up last month, I added the Thunderer Command and a few more Thunderers to make a large 20+ man unit and my final pick ups are Leitpold the Black (The Empire Hero) and the Dwarf Command, both from Forgeworld, these are hands down some of my fave minis Forgeworld does and it's a shame that they will likely go out of production soon.

My final picture is of my Painting Area, which I needed to re-arrange because the I was running out of room with the amount of miniatures I had painted, as you can see there's a fair stack of minis that are awaiting to be painted.

Enjoy!

Spite

Postby Spite » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:29 pm

Here's a small WIP Update though.

Quick Update:

I've been bogged down with work again and had no time to paint, however I had one evening with about 2 Hours to spare so started cracking on with Belegar Ironhammer. It's a great model, initially I didn't like the Back Banner but now I've come round to liking it a lot.

This is still very much WIP but I'm happy with the progression, the Cloak and the Armour are getting closer to completion with some final highlights to be done. The Beard being Red was to make it distinct from my other Lords and I really wanted some contrast with the model, he also suitably can be called the Red King.

Belegar Ironhammer/Dwarf Lord/'The Red King'

Hopefully I'll get him finished this weekend, I'm also wanting to get the Thunderers started.

Spite

Postby Spite » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Quick Update:

Finished Belegar Ironhammer, overall happy with how he turned out, few details I could clean up but looks good I think.

Onwards to the next batch of models, there's still lots to do, currently this is my list:

Doomseekers x6
Crossbowmen x10
Warriors x20 w/ Hand Weapon and Shields
Malakai Makaiissons Goblin Hewer
Thunderers x22 inc. Command
Miners x10
Anvil of Doom
Runesmith x2
Battle Standard Bearer
Lord/Thane w/ Great Axe
Engineer
Mordheim Treasure Hunter
King Alrik Ranulfsson on Shieldbearers
Long Drongs Slayers x8 inc. Command

Enjoy.

Spite

Postby Spite » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:04 pm

Update:

After taking a few days off of work, I've finally got round to do some painting. I cracked on with a Runesmith that I've been wanting to paint for a while. I really like the miniature itself, definitely one of the best Runesmith models in my book.

I find some models are a lot tougher to paint than they appear sometimes, as I struggle to pick out what areas should be what colour, often I need to look online to see how others have painted it to help me as was the case with this Runesmith. Anyhow onto the Model, he took me a couple of days to get done but happy in the end, I tend to spend longer just just cleaning up areas and adding touches than doing the main colours and higlights.

Dwarf Runesmith/Runelord (8th Edition, Metal):

As for the next batch, I'm doing another 10 Warriors with Crossbows to bump the unit to 15 total, I've still got 20 more Warriors with Hand Weapons and Shields to do, so I'm doing them in smaller batches so I don't get bored and distracted at the mass amount I need to do. Doing Characters in between helps with this (Hence the Runemsmith). I've also undercoated 10 Thunderers so looking forward to get them done, on my list of Characters that are undercoated currently are the Limited Edition BSB, Lord resting on Axe, Engineer with 2 Pistols, another Runesmith and the Mordheim Treasure Hunter.

Obivously this is a fair chunk but it doesn't look that much, the characters I don't think will take that long to paint likely a weekend per model, I'll likely spend more time on the BSB. Any comments more than welcome.

Thanks.

Spite

Postby Spite » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:02 pm

Update:

I started some of the 6th Edition Metal Thunderers, have to say they are quite fun to paint and reasonably simple enough, I get to tailor them a bit differently per miniature yet still only take around an evening per miniature. The variances of the cloth/gloves/beards gives them a bit of a individual feel but tie in together still with the blue, which is not overbearing on the model. One thing I've really enjoyed is that the models are metal and they have a weight to them that plastics don't, definitely something I miss over the latest Dwarfs (that and they all don't look like Space Marines).

Here's 2 I finished recently, I can only apologise for the atrocious photos, I should take my minis to work and do it with some proper lighting.

Thunderers (6th Edition, Metal):

As usual any comments/criticisms are welcome, onto getting the rest of the unit done, I've got 8 more which are cleaned but another 12 to do including Command to bump the unit to a solid 22.

Spite

Postby Spite » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:52 pm

Update: (Warning Big Post)

I've returned with another update, I know it's been another month, I've been away for some of it for work (Copenhagen is fantastic!) but I took a few days off around it and finished up some models. I haven't made any pickups that recently but I will have some for the next update.

Anyhow on with the models I've painted, last update I posted about the 6th Edition Metal Thunderers I was painting, I finished 10 of them, they are quite the joy to paint. Not too much detail not too simple either and look fantastic as a unit. I've mixed the colours of the Beards, Gloves and Accessories but with the Blue still being the main colour to mesh with the rest of the army. I've started cleaning up the rest of the models for the unit and the Command, eager to get them complete.

One of the handy things about working in Mobile Games, is that I have access to a ton of better phones and tablets with much better cameras than my potato camera on my phone, so these are a bit better than usual. Note: Big ton of photos incoming.

Dwarf Thunderers (10):

Often I find batch painting to be incredibly tiresome, I much prefer doing a model at a time as I'll miss bits of a model so knowing this I will paint a character in-between to keep it fresh. In this case I painted 2!

Dwarf Engineer:

With this model, I've always really liked it, then I came around to painting it...I absolutely hated painting it, it's a very boring model to paint and I just didn't enjoy it at all and I think it definitely shows in the blandness of how it turned out, I've considered stripping it as well as redoing it but for now I'll hold off while I get some units finished.

Mordheim Dwarf Treasure Hunter:

So as ever sat on my painting desk is more Warriors which I'm loathing to do, the thought of doing 15-20 more Crossbows doesn't thrill me, however I am eager to get this Thunderer unit finished, I think a unit filler could work well with them but I've already started on the Lord resting his chin on his Axe and the 8th Edition BSB. I'd really like to move onto the Goblin Hewer and/or Flame Cannon as they will look to be a great addition but there's still a big chunk of units that need doing first. I've just picked up a 6th Edition Gyrocopter and another Lord model that I was missing so chipping away at the models I need, I'm still on the hunt for a 8th Grudge Thrower though, I'm quite picky when it comes to buying models, as preferably I'll always want it in box and unassembled, I do find a sense of joy with the older boxes.

Here's the list of what's still to be painted:

Units:

Doomseekers x4
Crossbowmen x10
Thunderers x12 inc. Command
Miners x10
Long Drongs Slayers 10 inc. Command

War Machines:

Anvil of Doom

Characters:

Runesmith
Battle Standard Bearer (8th Edition)
Lord resting on Great Axe

Thanks for reading! Until next time.

Spite

Postby Spite » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:19 pm

Update:

I've been after this model for a while and one came up in box that I couldn't refuse to pick up, I might paint it in a similar pattern to the GW one on the box, definitely has a ton of character and quite different to the 8th Edition one I already have painted, a very nostalgic pick up.

Onto something I'm painting, this is still a bit WIP but the main parts are done, some highlights left. The Dwarf Lord resting on Axe, it's a very nice model and really shows what Dwarfs are about.

Onto what's left to paint, I've just assembled, cleaned and sprayed The White Dwarf, 10 Long Drongs Slayers inc Command and the Thunderers Command. While I've just started the base colours of another BSB and Runesmith, I will also start the Warriors I've been meaning to do for some time as you can most of the army is characters and single models!

Here's the list of what's still to be painted:

Units:

Doomseekers x4
Crossbowmen x10
Miners x10
Long Drongs Slayers 10 inc. Command

War Machines:

Anvil of Doom

Characters:

Runesmith

Enjoy!

Spite

Postby Spite » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:09 pm

Update:

Over Xmas I took some time off work, so did some painting in that period however I was mainly doing 40K Imperial Guard as they've drawn me in again, however I couldn't pass the Dwarfs up for too long. Long Drongs Slayers are some of the most fantastic models going, full of character and very much a nostalgic part of fantasy when Dogs of War were playable, I have 10 inc the Command which I'm currently doing, however I want to spend a bit more time on these than a standard rank and file and paint them individually rather than in a batch and do them a bit of justice.

Here's one I've finished with the rest of the unit following along nicely, if you've read my Painting Blog before you'll know that I'm neither the best painter nor do I enjoy painting a ton, however these models are quite the joy to paint, another reason to do the models justice and spend that extra time making the unit look great.

One thing I think most people will notice is that the orange beard isn't super bright and orange, if you look across most of my painting I'm not one for super bright colours and my preference is for dark and grittyness in my painting, I prefer to build up to the orange from a brown, I'm very happy with how it turned out. I also spent more time building up the layers on the skin, something which I've often not done well and much happier with how it came out.

Long Drongs Slayer Pirates:

Now onto the fun stuff, recent pickups! A couple that I've been waiting to show as all my parcels go to my work and with Xmas and Holiday time I hadn't been in for almost a month. I've been wanting another of the new Gyro or 2 to make into an Air Cav force with 2 of the smaller Gyros and one of the larger Bombers and got this one for a cheaper price.

I've also been after an Organ Gun for a while and seemingly unable to get one not caked in paint or glued together, I also picked up Bugman for when I'll likely pick up some Rangers and finally one of the 8th Edition Thane/Lord models that I was missing, I think I have 3 or 4 left to go before having them all.

There's still lots to paint and get on with, one day I'll finish all those Warriors!

My list currently to paint:

Doomseekers x4
Crossbowmen x10
Miners x10

War Machines:

Anvil of Doom
Organ Gun

Characters:

Runesmith

To Buy:

Rangers x20 (6th Edition)
Longbeards x20 (6th Edition)
Thorgrim Grudgebearer on Throne (8th Edition)
Cannon x2 (6th Edition)
Grudge Thrower (8th Edition)

Thanks!

Return to “The Glass Cabinet”