FAQ - A response from Jervis

Where mighty armies march to do battle in Middle Earth

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Kalandros

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby Kalandros » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:47 am

We are Legion wrote:Do magical stat bonuses/decreases stack?

eg: say an Angmar army has 2 casters of dismay, both casters are targetting the same opposing unit with sunder spirit, both roll a 3-5 result. Does this net the opposing unit at a -2 courage; or was the second spell redundant, netting the opposing unit a -1 courage?

Edit: Another question

If an artillery unit uses its own table, does it also use the modifiers from page 61?

eg: if an Isengard Assault ballista fires on a single company, does it still suffer the -1 modifier to its roll?

What if the single company is a monster (troll, ent, Mumak, Balrog)? does it still suffer the penalty?

-Good question on the stacking spell effects..
-As for the Artillery thing, the Ballista only says to use the table in the ballista entry, this does not prevent other artillery rules from taking effect.
-Hopefully the FAQ solves this once and for all, I feel its a terrible rule to get a -1 to hit a Mumak, even if its movement is random and its an unpredictible creature.. ITS HUGE.
Ulthuan, Land of the Asur Home of the High Elves

Pentadude

Postby Pentadude » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:16 pm

With several games of WotR under my belt, i thought i should throw in some of my own questions, most of which have already been answered in this thread.

Thrydan Wolfsbane, an evil epic hero, has wargbane special rule! That’s sort of awkward considering no good unit ride wargs.

In the Terror rules, they talk about terror-causing creatures. Does this imply that epic heroes that cause terror (Nazguls for example) would retain their terror rule when they join units. Unlike the box on p.69, i would not consider this an explicit way of indicating that the units (Orks for example) cause terror when joined by a Nazgul, but the rules for terror do imply it.

Heroic duels must be declared at the start of the fight phase. However, once resolving the specific combat, it is not mentioned whether to solve the duel first, and the fight involving their units after. Assume knights with Faramir charge an Ork unit with captain. Faramir calls an epic strike and a heroic challenge, and against all odds gets slain. Does the knights still benefit for that fight from his Fight value of 10 (coming from the epic strike). If order is not important then yes, if it is important then no. But if they do benefit from his Fight 10, it does make a big difference in the outcome of the battle. Could you precise when those duels must be resolved within a fight: first, last, at the player having priority's choice?

And just some comments about heroes like thrydan Wolfsbane. For the same price as a captain, you have Resilience 3, Inspiring leader of men, epic strike, Rohan hatred, for the only downside of a fight value of 4... Wouldn't that be worth more than 50 points, if only by 5 points! Faramir is another of those characters disturbingly underpriced.

Thanks for gathering our questions for the FAQ. It is much appreciated!

miker
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Living in a Garage in Milton Keynes now. No REALLY, I am!!

Postby miker » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:27 pm

Isengard may well fight other "Evil" armies so the "Wargbane" may well help [when we have a FAQ on Heroes abilities...]

As you are charging the Nazgul [as well as his formation] he is Terror causing, so a Terror test is needed. They don't lose the ability, they just don't pass it on to the formation

saxon knight

Postby saxon knight » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:02 pm

I noticed someone asked this question earlier and it was ignored. It is the same question that I have, and many other in our club. Does anyone know the correct answer? The question was:

"2) "As a formation moves, you can rearrange its companies as you wish. Companies must remain touching but can be turned around or arranged into a different legal configuration as you wish."

Are these moves "free" or do they cost movement? Suppose my lone company formation rotates 180 degrees on its center, so that it is facing what was its rear. Has it used 0" of movement or has it used 5" (the distance traveled by each corner)?"

The GW Store I shop at, says that it is "0" movement to do 180 degrees, but all my wargaming buddies can't see that in the rules and are banging their heads trying to see how that can be true. The GW store says that their manager played with the Game Designers and was taught this way. The GW Store says to think of it as a 40k tank: It moves its allotted distance - and then can pivot for free! Of course, this makes a huge difference when moving a formation of 4 companies. It means you can actually move much further than the distance allowed, by swinging those corners in whatever direction.

Who is right? What is the answer? The GW store or my Wargaming buddies?

:?

thewaspboy

Postby thewaspboy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:16 pm

The only question that has been bugging me, is the Counsellor rule.

Can you counsel a counsellor? To create an infinite loop of might.

Common sense says no, but RAW suggests something different.

Return to “War of the Ring”