FAQ - A response from Jervis

Where mighty armies march to do battle in Middle Earth

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

miker
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Living in a Garage in Milton Keynes now. No REALLY, I am!!

FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby miker » Wed May 13, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi Mike,

If you email me your rules questions I’ll forward them on to Mat and Alessio for the FAQ. They’re working on it at the moment. Unfortunately we won’t be able to answer questions before the FAQ is published – we’ve found that this causes problems, as invariably the FAQ ends up with different answers to some of the ‘off the cuff’ replies we’ll have sent out.

Jervis

taff

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby taff » Wed May 13, 2009 4:18 pm

cool, good to know their not sat on their hands.

Andy Przybyla

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby Andy Przybyla » Wed May 13, 2009 5:02 pm

The effects of magic on hero's would be a nice one. Does the unit protect or do they suffer.

How does +2 to hit work

Some clarity on shields

miker
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Living in a Garage in Milton Keynes now. No REALLY, I am!!

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby miker » Wed May 13, 2009 6:44 pm

Andy Przybyla wrote:The effects of magic on hero's would be a nice one. Does the unit protect or do they suffer.

How does +2 to hit work

Some clarity on shields



All in laddie, all in. :)

User avatar
SquirrelMaster
Posts: 2626
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:08 am
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Exeter
Contact:

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby SquirrelMaster » Wed May 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Have you already got the questions asked elsewhere on this board, or do you want a list compiled in a single place?
C. S. Lewis wrote:When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

miker
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Living in a Garage in Milton Keynes now. No REALLY, I am!!

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby miker » Thu May 14, 2009 6:45 am

SquirrelMaster wrote:Have you already got the questions asked elsewhere on this board, or do you want a list compiled in a single place?


I sent in all the questions that we have "discussed" [except the Legendary points cost, ofc]

User avatar
lil tim
Posts: 2116
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:47 pm
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Dundee, Scotland

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby lil tim » Thu May 14, 2009 7:53 am

miker wrote:
SquirrelMaster wrote:Have you already got the questions asked elsewhere on this board, or do you want a list compiled in a single place?


I sent in all the questions that we have "discussed" [except the Legendary points cost, ofc]



Why not chuck that in anyway?
XXX

ETC Team Scotland 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

miker
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Living in a Garage in Milton Keynes now. No REALLY, I am!!

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby miker » Thu May 14, 2009 11:46 am

lil tim wrote:
miker wrote:
SquirrelMaster wrote:Have you already got the questions asked elsewhere on this board, or do you want a list compiled in a single place?


I sent in all the questions that we have "discussed" [except the Legendary points cost, ofc]



Why not chuck that in anyway?



Because the rulebook clearly show the answer! I am not going to ask a question when the answer is known! [-X

User avatar
Gorbad Ironclaw
Site Admin
Posts: 8948
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:39 am
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4
Location: England

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby Gorbad Ironclaw » Mon May 18, 2009 9:27 am

Do you guys want a sticky thread to collect FAQ questions in? Just to keep it all in one place (in theory at least...).
We are not only elitist, but mean as well!

Replicant253

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby Replicant253 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:47 pm

How being driven back when shot at works when the target formation is occupying defensible terrain.

miker
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Living in a Garage in Milton Keynes now. No REALLY, I am!!

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby miker » Mon May 18, 2009 8:06 pm

Replicant253 wrote:How being driven back when shot at works when the target formation is occupying defensible terrain.


done.................. If its been in this bit of the Forum, it went to Jervis.

sgingell

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby sgingell » Wed May 20, 2009 4:15 am

I'm not sure if these have been discussed before, but here are some questions I've had

1) Glorfindel is a monster who "moves and charges like a flying monster". Some people take this to mean he acts like a flying monster only in the move and charge phases, meaning he doesn't get the +6 attacks a charging flying monster gets in the fight phase. Other people take it to mean that he charges like a flying monster in all respects, meaning he gets the +6. Which is correct?

2) "As a formation moves, you can rearrange its companies as you wish. Companies must remain touching but can be turned around or arranged into a different legal configuration as you wish."

Are these moves "free" or do they cost movement? Suppose my lone company formation rotates 180 degrees on its center, so that it is facing what was its rear. Has it used 0" of movement or has it used 5" (the distance traveled by each corner)?

3) What is the intention behind the center diagram at the bottom of page 32? The lower right corner *has* moved more than 10". Is the move still legal?

4) The "Epic Heroes and Special Rules" boxout on page 69 hurts me deep inside. Please ease my pain. Some examples:
Pathfinder, Terror, Spirit Grasp, Spirit Walk, *Bane, etc... seem like they have no effect at all when listed as an Epic Hero's special ability.

5) The following fight has ensued:
Image
It seems casualties have to be taken from the command company. Is that correct?

6) Do spells "stack" with themselves? For example, three different casters all hit a formation with Sunder Spirit. Does the affected formation lose 3 courage (or up to 9 if there are some 6's rolled)?

7) A Troll runs into the front of a formation of 4 infantry companies arranged 2x2 and kills 8. How many attacks does it take in return? 8+Support because the casualties came from a company in the back, or 0 + Support?

I apologize if the answers to any of these seem obvious, but I've seen messy arguments emerge from each one.

miker
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Living in a Garage in Milton Keynes now. No REALLY, I am!!

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby miker » Wed May 20, 2009 8:58 am

1 - passed on
3 - No, INMHO ; GW can't think - the rule that companies corners cannot exceed their movement distance is paramount :D
4 - p/o
5 - rules say so p.49 [so watch out for your Epic Hero!!]
7 - answered viewtopic.php?f=39&t=56768

User avatar
Saje
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:38 pm

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby Saje » Thu May 21, 2009 11:24 pm

Galadhrim knights have 4 attacks for two models, theory would say that's two attacks each, however calculating attacks says "a company that has suffered casualties will have a reduced number of attacks, equal to the amount of models it has lost"

Does this mean a galadhrim knight company that has lost one casualty still has 3 attacks?

miker
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Living in a Garage in Milton Keynes now. No REALLY, I am!!

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby miker » Fri May 22, 2009 6:58 am

Saje wrote:Galadhrim knights have 4 attacks for two models, theory would say that's two attacks each, however calculating attacks says "a company that has suffered casualties will have a reduced number of attacks, equal to the amount of models it has lost"

Does this mean a galadhrim knight company that has lost one casualty still has 3 attacks?


Do you REALLY think that???

User avatar
Saje
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:38 pm

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby Saje » Fri May 22, 2009 7:05 am

Why not? That's what raw suggests.

miker
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Living in a Garage in Milton Keynes now. No REALLY, I am!!

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby miker » Fri May 22, 2009 9:02 am

Saje wrote:Why not? That's what raw suggests.



That is one "intepretation" of the English. The usual would be that if you lost 'n' models you would lose 'n' times their attacks.

sgingell

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby sgingell » Sat May 23, 2009 7:22 pm

page 46 wrote:"A company that has suffered casualties will have a reduced number of Attacks, equal to the number of models it has lost"


I don't see how the rule could be read any other way than as Saje does. There is no multiplier, number of casualties = number of lost attacks. Losing a equal *proportion* is a good and sensible revision, but it is a revision.

miker
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Living in a Garage in Milton Keynes now. No REALLY, I am!!

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby miker » Sat May 23, 2009 10:32 pm

sgingell wrote:
page 46 wrote:"A company that has suffered casualties will have a reduced number of Attacks, equal to the number of models it has lost"


I don't see how the rule could be read any other way than as Saje does. There is no multiplier, number of casualties = number of lost attacks. Losing a equal *proportion* is a good and sensible revision, but it is a revision.



You are entitled to your opinion.

sgingell

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby sgingell » Sun May 24, 2009 5:44 pm

You must accept my opinion or my self worth will be shattered, I will lose the internet, and be forced to curl up and weep.

COMPLY!

:wink:

User avatar
SquirrelMaster
Posts: 2626
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:08 am
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Exeter
Contact:

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby SquirrelMaster » Tue May 26, 2009 12:14 am

Sorry, miker, but I gotta say thier opinion lines up pretty exactly with mine. Maybe it's not how the rule should be interpreted, but it is the literally accurate meaning.
C. S. Lewis wrote:When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

superfiend

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby superfiend » Tue May 26, 2009 12:35 am

I'm a software developer. If Saje's post were a spec for software I were programming, then the unit would have 3 attacks as that is exactly what the spec says.

After the software is finished and the relevant people from the client and my company call me into the office to ask why there are still 3 attacks and not 2, I would merely show them the spec I received. Then I would leave the room and let them fight over who gets to pay the money for my time to change it. :wink:

User avatar
silashand
Posts: 2933
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:15 am
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Great Hall of Karak Norn (Colorado, USA)
Contact:

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby silashand » Thu May 28, 2009 1:46 am

SquirrelMaster wrote:Maybe it's not how the rule should be interpreted, but it is the literally accurate meaning.


Unfortunately I have to agree. The wording is quite clear even if the result may not be what they intended.

sgingell wrote:1) Glorfindel is a monster who "moves and charges like a flying monster". Some people take this to mean he acts like a flying monster only in the move and charge phases, meaning he doesn't get the +6 attacks a charging flying monster gets in the fight phase. Other people take it to mean that he charges like a flying monster in all respects, meaning he gets the +6. Which is correct?


I would read it to mean he moves in all respects like a flying monster and charges in all respects like a flying monster. It does not list any restrictions on the "move and charge like" ability so I see no reason to add any. JMO though.

Cheers, Gary
Admin - Bugman's Brewery

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Unknown
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire (1694-1778)
"Each day you must choose: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." - Unknown

6 x 9 = 42

sgingell

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby sgingell » Sun May 31, 2009 6:21 pm

silashand wrote:I would read it to mean he moves in all respects like a flying monster and charges in all respects like a flying monster. It does not list any restrictions on the "move and charge like" ability so I see no reason to add any. JMO though.

That is my reaction as well, the objection seems to be based on the phase order. Some people think it would need to say "move, charge, and fight" like a flying monster as the +6 happens in the fight phase. There is also the claim that if it acted like a flying monster in all respects, why not just call it a flying monster to start with?

It's come up often enough that I feel like it's faq worthy.

We are Legion

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby We are Legion » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi guys, first post here, just getting in to War of the Ring.

I'd like a clarification in the 'driven back' section of the shooting phase.

'a target is driven back if one or more companies is removed from a single shooting attack' p41 War of the Ring Rulebook

Are we to take this to mean:
a) a single shooting attack (from a formation) MUST remove a full company in one attack in order for the opposing formation to be driven back?

or

b) whenever a company is removed (whether depleted or not prior to the attack) as the result of one shooting attack, that formation is driven back?

miker
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:32 pm
Pick number 4 to enter: 1
Location: Living in a Garage in Milton Keynes now. No REALLY, I am!!

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby miker » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:30 pm

A formation is driven back by shooting if you remove a company base.

So if, say, 4 formations shoot at one formation - which they do one at a time - at some point a company may be removed.
If so the formation is driven back after the shooting that kills the company.

We are Legion

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby We are Legion » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:34 am

I just glanced over the quick reference sheet, the way its worded on there is clearer. Thanks for the answer though!

juanrico

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby juanrico » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi,
excuse my english, i'm better in french.
i've just bought The war of the ring and and looked at the profiles.
i'm sure it's a mistake but where are the shields of my Guards of the Fountain Court ?
Please help me

Kalandros
Posts: 2386
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:35 pm

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby Kalandros » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Nope, no shields whatsoever for these.
Ulthuan, Land of the Asur Home of the High Elves

We are Legion

Re: FAQ - A response from Jervis

Postby We are Legion » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:47 pm

Do magical stat bonuses/decreases stack?

eg: say an Angmar army has 2 casters of dismay, both casters are targetting the same opposing unit with sunder spirit, both roll a 3-5 result. Does this net the opposing unit at a -2 courage; or was the second spell redundant, netting the opposing unit a -1 courage?

Edit: Another question

If an artillery unit uses its own table, does it also use the modifiers from page 61?

eg: if an Isengard Assault ballista fires on a single company, does it still suffer the -1 modifier to its roll?

What if the single company is a monster (troll, ent, Mumak, Balrog)? does it still suffer the penalty?


Return to “War of the Ring”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest