Warhammer Lord of the Rings.Dead, Dying, Going strong?

Where mighty armies march to do battle in Middle Earth

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

aldosg

Warhammer Lord of the Rings.Dead, Dying, Going strong?

Postby aldosg » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:59 pm

Is warhammer LoTR Dead, Dying, or Going strong?

themidget428
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Warhammer Lord of the Rings.Dead, Dying, Going strong?

Postby themidget428 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Probably dying. It's a shame, because the models are great and you need substantially less models to play, and the system's really great, but nobody's going to pay $85 for a flippin "rules manual" in which it carries all of the new rules for the units that aren't already in the faction books you already had to buy as well.

If the Starter Set was significantly cheaper, it would most likely work. Face it, the goblintown terrain is cool and all, but is it really necessary for the starter set when you could just sell 2/3rds of the goblins in there and all of the good guys and probably market the box at $70?

They would be best served if they used it as a cheaper alternative to ween your way into the two major systems, but alas, I think they've screwed the pooch on licensing and can't really afford to "cheapen" the product. And at least they won't do that now, they're probably too far in the hole, and most likely have to keep making them to finish out their contract with New Line despite the losses they're most likely taking.

From what I can remember talking to people before the hobbit line came out, LoTR made up for 10% of GW's sales, so there were some people buying it but they had no idea where. Unfortunately that was also when it was much much cheaper to play the game and they still had larger individual boxes before they started halving the contents and dropping the price 2 bucks. Now that they're gouging prices more so I'd imagine the only ones buying it now are those who exclusively play hobbit as those playing the other two systems have enough trouble buying those products (in two systems you can actually find games for).

But hey! the 2 eagle box for $50 is a fantastic way to mount your elven characters!

The one thing we did get from LOTR is that for the work the design studio did to create the smaller models allowed them to really step up their game on all the plastic kits you've seen in the past 8 or so years.

Obfuscate

Postby Obfuscate » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Forgive my ignorance but is Escape a starter box or a self contained product? Or indeed both?

I am asking because I would go for it if it's a self contained game, not really interested if it is only a gateway box for lotr.

Bugman
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Bugman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:43 pm

aldosg wrote:Is warhammer LoTR Dead, Dying, or Going strong?
has nothing to do with warhammer, they are seperate products

Limited support and wing linked to film and stupid high prices for the hobbit combined with near impossible mass combat cause a fail

Bugman
http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The largest most informative Dwarf website in the old world, covering every dwarfers needs from forum to tactics, gallery and the infamous warhammer armies: Diaries!!!!
Feedback Thread

ukrocky
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby ukrocky » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:58 pm

ETC 2017 England 9th Age Beast Herds Player
ETC 2016 England 9th Age Captain and Vermin Swarm Player
ETC 2015 England WFB Skaven Player
ETC 2014 England WFB Dark Elf Player
ETC & ESC 2013 Scotland WFB Skaven Player

sandals

Postby sandals » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:34 pm

I thought it was amazing for what it was supposed to be - a recreation of the films. If you played through the scenarios they designed in the Journey Supplements, the games were brilliant. Unfortunately you needed a huge amount of figures and some unique scenery pieces to play these scenarios and thus they were unobtainable.

The rules however (from the original LotR game, I have no idea about The Hobbit) were ported out into an Old West style cowboy game, and there they found a great home. I'll try and find a link to it.

EDIT: Legends of the Old West, that was it! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legends-Old-West-Historical-Sourcebook/dp/B001JQV7UQ
Sandy Wilson - Twitter: @sandals_ajw

My Blog
Club 200 2014

6 Nations 2014 - Team England, Lizardmen
Best in Race - Call to War 2011, No Holes Barred 2012, Blood and Glory 2013
Giant Slayer - Tempest 5
Most Sporting Opponent - Summer Incursion 2012
1st Place - Open War XVIII

snowblizz

Postby snowblizz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:19 pm

sandals wrote:The rules however (from the original LotR game, I have no idea about The Hobbit) were ported out into an Old West style cowboy game, and there they found a great home. I'll try and find a link to it.

EDIT: Legends of the Old West, that was it! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legends-Old-West-Historical-Sourcebook/dp/B001JQV7UQ

There's a Legends of the High Seas (Pirates) and I've seen a Legends of the Rising Sun (samurai) version too.
In short in my opinion the new codex is an elaborate way to say "you can have any kind of Chaos army as long as it is black..."

Ceterum censeo Codicem Chaotis delendam esse.

WarFoundry armylist application(cross-platform, multi-system and open source)
WarFoundry datafile group

aldosg

Postby aldosg » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:16 am

Bugman wrote:
aldosg wrote:Is warhammer LoTR Dead, Dying, or Going strong?
has nothing to do with warhammer, they are seperate products

Limited support and wing linked to film and stupid high prices for the hobbit combined with near impossible mass combat cause a fail

Bugman

Yes it is just that i have a fairly large army of 300+ figure and i am not sure what to do!

zedeyejoe

Postby zedeyejoe » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:13 pm

Well if you use it and enjoy the game, then continue.

If not get rid of the figures and if you go for something else, try playing a few games and see if you like it before collecting a big army.

reznordragon

Postby reznordragon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Unless it's changed significantly, I'd give it a miss and stick to fantasy. I've got hundreds of figures stored in boxes but it seemed really dull to me. Shame because I really wanted to enjoy it because of my love for the books and films .
There used to be a fortnightly magazine, complete with figures that was an excellent way to build armies on the cheap and had really good articles on terrain building.

AndyONeill

Postby AndyONeill » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:16 pm

The key to wargaming is opponents.
Find people you like then see what they play.
Pick up games with strangers is far from ideal.

I guess as the OP is asking here what the state of the game is then he has nobody to play with.
In which case there are several alternatives:

1) Sell/trade.
2) Find someone else who has figures and wants to play.
3) Find someone prepared to try the game and obtain enough figures for an opposing side.
4) Use your figures in some other game you find players are already enjoying.

Unfortunately ANY of the GW games that are not considered their main games ( WFB & 40k ) are guaranteed to go out of support eventually and are therefore high risk unless you have a guaranteed set of opponents.
Investing in a game where you know the company who wrote it consider it a throw away game with like a 2 or 3 year expected life span is a bad idea.

Personally, I think War of the Ring is ( at it's core ) GW's best game and deserved a better fate. If I had a shed load of LotR figures I particularly wanted to use then I would take that and modify it.
I would also base my figures in such a way that they could be used on Hordes of the Thing movement tray/sabots since that's probably the most main stream non GW fantasy game and I could my figures in that.
BUT
Before I expended any more effort I would find some players.

zedeyejoe

Postby zedeyejoe » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:27 pm

Ah thats an idea, use the figures to play Hordes of the Things, now thats a really great game and does not need a large force.

A fantasy miniatures game that is based on the same system as De Bellis Antiquitatis and De Bellis Multitudinis. The first edition was published in 1991, with a much more clearly written second edition being published in 2002. The game consists of a single rulebook.

The player's miniatures are organized onto stands or 'elements', an army consisting of about 10-14 such elements. Troop types range from powerful Heroes, Magicians, and Dragons, through such things as Blades, Riders, and Spears and down to the humble Hordes of the game title.

Movement is alternate, with each player dicing for action points (PIPs) which allow them to move single elements or groups of elements, deploy certain element types and use magicians to be-spell enemy troops. Combat between elements is resolved by each player rolling a die and adding the element's combat factor. Highest score wins, with some elements automatically destroying others and most others being destroyed if their final score is half, or less, than that of the opponent.

The strength of the game is that their are no 'fixed' armies. With only a few restrictions (concerned with which elements can be generals and the proportion of 'powerful' troop types) you can construct your army any way you wish. This means you can create armies to represent those from any work of fantasy fiction, myths, legends, films, TV anything else that your imagination desires. A large number of example army lists, from a variety of sources, are included in the rules book.

The rules are available for free and you can cheerfully create all the LOTR different armies. One thing I particularly like are the Hordes (goblins and such) they are literally endless, kill them and the unit starts again from its base!

sarge

Postby sarge » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:45 pm

I started playing the Hobbit SBG about 18 months ago.
There is a thriving and friendly community of players (check out previous post by UK rocky).
The game is most certainly bias towards a skirmish game, but I and my friends have lots
of fun with it. Its simple to learn, easy to play but in my opinion has a level of strategy and play options which make it a pleasure to play.
It obviously comes with a background that is rich with flavour and second to none and will give you enough material for campaigns, table and scenery building and army creation to keep you going for ages.
Sure some of the toys are expensive, but I don't think compared to other GW products its really awful value for money and some of the sculpts (current Mirkwood archers for example) are great. Also no one is going to get upset if you find alternatives, after all the figures can be sourced from lots of other suppliers, even historicals for the realms of men.
Escape from Goblin town includes a heap of goblins and the king and all of Thorins company, Bilbo and Radagast, mini rules book which is reduced version of the expensive hardback wit some of the how to paint and collect sections not included but certainly enough to play with, infact this is the copy I take to my club to play. So again plenty to get your teeth in to. You can usually get the mini rule book on ebay fairly cheaply too. Hope this helps.

Return to “War of the Ring”