looking for a reason to start lotr

Where mighty armies march to do battle in Middle Earth

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

jerichoy2j
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

looking for a reason to start lotr

Postby jerichoy2j » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:29 am

Hi i am a big fan of the lotr movies i play 40k but am thinking of starting a lotr army can anyone give me the best and worst things about the lotr game. Thanks and kind regards Dan :)

ukrocky
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Re: looking for a reason to start lotr

Postby ukrocky » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:16 pm

For: It's possibly the best set of GW rules, alongside Bloodbowl.

Against: The game is pretty dead atm. I run the biggest LoTR SBG forum on the web, and it's pretty quiet...
ETC 2017 England 9th Age Beast Herds Player
ETC 2016 England 9th Age Captain and Vermin Swarm Player
ETC 2015 England WFB Skaven Player
ETC 2014 England WFB Dark Elf Player
ETC & ESC 2013 Scotland WFB Skaven Player

Dalleron

Postby Dalleron » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:02 am

He hit the proverbial nail on the head. But I think the rules have been expanded a bit. I don't feel like shelling out 100$ ca for the book. Maybe the movies will renew interest on the game as GW hopes.

leopard

Postby leopard » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:01 pm

The biggest problem is getting "fantasy" players to even try the game, 40k players may or may not be interested just because its a fantasy game but many WHFB players seem to actively object to the game even existing, not sure why as there is little overlap (as LotR is skirmish scale and WHFB isn't).

Its a very nice ruleset, that works and works pretty well, allowing for detailed games, heros making a difference and scenario driven games/mini campaigns etc.

Also some nice models, not cheap but you don't need a huge number of them.

Not played "Hobbit" rules but the "LotR" ones are fun the few times I've managed to actually get a game
Janco Toys - Barnsley
Milton Keynes Wargaming Society - Stony Stratford

Quicker by Tube
http://www.aleopardstail.com/

Dead Marsh Spectre

Postby Dead Marsh Spectre » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:44 pm

jerichoy2j wrote:Hi i am a big fan of the lotr movies i play 40k but am thinking of starting a lotr army can anyone give me the best and worst things about the lotr game. Thanks and kind regards Dan :)

Create an account at http://www.one-ring.co.uk and ask the same question. You won't be disappointed! SBG is alive and well :)

dragonslayer

Postby dragonslayer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:23 am

And the lotr miniatures are smaller than the 40k and fantasy minitures, making them easier to swallow and diguest :-)

Joke aside.
The game offers great fun and many fun rules, and its very close to the movies with all the miniatures.

silashand
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby silashand » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:39 am

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:Create an account at http://www.one-ring.co.uk and ask the same question. You won't be disappointed! SBG is alive and well :)

This. LotR:SBG is a very fun game. Not too keen on the new version since it changes a few things that didn't really need it, but it's still good. The armies are pretty well balanced and fun, with the possible exception of Rohan which I think is a bit underpowered. JMO though. I have several full armies for it and all of them are enjoyable:

Isengard (my favorite really)
Moria
Angmar
2nd Age High Elves
Lothlorien Wood Elves
Dwarfs

Eventually I'd like to finish my Arnor army, but it's an expensive force to collect being all metal/finecast.

Cheers, Gary
Admin - Bugman's Brewery

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Unknown
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire (1694-1778)
"Each day you must choose: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." - Unknown

6 x 9 = 42

lordgoober

Postby lordgoober » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:23 am

not only that silas, apparently the Arnor command is one of the casualties of the metal rundown.

mrworzel

Postby mrworzel » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:15 pm

Found this thread useful. If anyone still keeps tabs on it I wonder if they can say more about why the rules are so good? Is it a lot better than the WFB rulesets or just on a different scale?

Thanks.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:44 pm

mrworzel wrote:Found this thread useful. If anyone still keeps tabs on it I wonder if they can say more about why the rules are so good? Is it a lot better than the WFB rulesets or just on a different scale?

Thanks.

It's a very different game from Warhammer mainly because every model is it's own unit rather than units moving around together like in AoS or 40k.

The rules set is very simple to learn but hard to master which means it's ideal for guys who are just starting out or have been playing for a long time. The way heroes are used in the game can make for really cinematic moments without them being overpowered and it's definitley the most balanced rules set. There are very few games which will be over after the first turn or two which can be the case in the other GW games.

It also plays well as both a narrative game (lots of good scenarios out there for playing through the books and films) or a competitive points match game.

There's not a lot of people on here who play so I'd recommend joining the Great British Hobbit League page on Facebook. Even if you are not UK based it's a really good place to keep up with the community and share projects/ask for ideas. It's the easiest place to find opponents too as there's guys on it from all over, there's also a schedule with all the tournaments that are coming up (20 in the UK alone next year) which are always a good weekend, some of the most welcoming I've been to especially for newer players.

There are other regional pages if your based elsewhere but the GBHL page is a good place to start and someone will point you in another direction if it's a specific countries group you're after. There's also a YouTube channel the GBHL Podcast who do daily video's and they've got a lot of battle reports which will give you an idea of how the game plays.

daersalon

Postby daersalon » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:45 pm

Big Dog has given a brief summary of the Hobbit/Lotr 'Strategy Battle game'. But the poster above was referring to War of the Ring (WotR) mass battle as being the best ruleset I believe.

This is indeed true, in my opinion. The actual battle rules are very streamlined, and you can mobilise large armies for great battles fairly easily, without some of the complications of other systems like WFB. Formations are easy to move and manouevre and the combat resolution is simply. Scoop up lots of dice and roll once.

The units are fairly well differentiated (slightly more so than SFB was) and representative of the variety available in the vast lands of Middle Earth. The heroes are well integrated into the armies, and important for turning the tide of the battles, or even mighty duels with other heroes or monsters (fancy Aragorn facing the Balrog?).

The only major drawbacks are the points costs of the units. These were assigned when the book was written, but were not always balanced. Only one edition of WotR was produced, and the ongoing points adjustments that other systems like SFB had never happened. So there are a few 'broken' selections and some factions (Elves, Angmar) which never match up in even points match games (which is the majority of games most casual gamers play)

The other is indeed the lack of players... I was fortunate to be in a group of 4-6 that played almost weekly for 3 years until this year, but we always had a wonderful time in WotR.

We do have an ongoing project to provide some 'balance' to the points in WotR, as the rules themselves seem very complete: https://wessexcodex.wordpress.com/

Return to “War of the Ring”