This is for all your Warhammer talk

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Piter
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Fantasy battle second edition rules question

Postby Piter » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi

I'm new to playing Warhammer. My friends and I want to play Blood Bath at Orc's Drift, which I own. I have got hold of the second edition battle rules, which I think go with the campaign, and there's something that doesn't make sense to me. Basically, the rules seem to say that you have to keep models within a unit next to each other. However, this rule does not seem to apply within buildings. Furthermore, the scenarios seems to encourage models within units to split up. For example, in the first scenario (Kachas Pass) there are several buildings for the single unit of elves to inhabit (in addition to woods and other bits of scenary) - presumably the intention is for the elves to split themselves up into different buildings rather than just choose one building and all stay there; otherwise, why have more than one building? And furthermore again, those in the buildings can leave them and presumably move elsewhere. All of these points, seem to make a mockery of the idea of units having to stay together.

I would be really grateful for the thoughts of any seasoned player, particularly one familiar with the second edition rules and/or Orc's Drift.

If I've missed something obvious which clarifies all this in the rules, I will be suitably embarrassed!

Zhu Bajie
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: Fantasy battle second edition rules question

Postby Zhu Bajie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:38 pm

Orcs Drift! Great stuff.

I don't think you're missing anything, except the word 'unit' is being used a little ambiguously. The scenario starts with 15 elves in the garrison under Erdolas and 10, under Hendril out on patrol who turn up in Turn 3. In game terms these are 2 separate units, but in Elven military parlance they're one unit.

Why have more than one building? - it's a garrison with a sleeping hut, store house and stables, the designers are describing a 'real' place rather than an abstract gaming function. Also the Orcs don't know which building has the Half-Orc spy in it, so they have to search or burn down them all, which snarls them up.

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy”