WHFRP musing

This is for all your Warhammer talk

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

tenpole
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

WHFRP musing

Postby tenpole » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:27 pm

Wayyy back in the 80's when GW were taking over the gaming industry they made WH Fantasy Roleplay. The game was made with love, the creativity thought and concepts inspired me to become aware of the Old World turning this fiction into a living vibrant place. I kept my tomes of the first edition and the Enemy Within campaign for ages hidden away in attics or wardrobes with each change of residence. I sold them in 2001 as I was buying a house. Only about 3 months ago I threw away the last pieces I had hand made for the Enemy within Campaign thinking I would never need them. Recently though I have had an urge to set up a roleplaying game to show the kids in laws and neighbours; this is how we played in the 80's before computers and mobiles. This was true roleplaying. Its social but will it be fun in today's times. I was going to ban mobiles and other peoples kids. My youngest I will try to palm off playing a cat, she might like that and thereby her presence would not be required throughout gaming. I did do a little bit of D&D roleplay with the wife and stepsons. She loved it but it was hard to keep motivated after the first two weeks. I had bought the red D&D box set at a boot fair and just played about with that.
So now I have the urge to GM/DM again and try to get a gaming team together. I was thinking out of all the systems, WHFRP was the most realistic? and played better. Violence was not such a big part in WHFRP as you easily died.
Now there is WHFRP 2e which I have never played. I have found a pdf of the rules but pdf files are not good like flicking through a book. The 2e does not seem to appear much on ebay and commands a high price subsequently. The 1e is a bit odd with the hardback making high bids £45-£50, the soft back is around £10-15.
But this is only with recently watching them. I dont know if to just pick up the good old 1e or try out 2e. The players who will be gaming have no real experience of true roleplay. I always thought that was one handicap of WHFRP.

Nibbles

Re: WHFRP musing

Postby Nibbles » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:45 am

There's been a 3rd edition too, it might still be the current one. Fantasy Flight Games sells it.

They stopped producing further content for it years ago though, and there might be a new edition in the works already.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

tenpole

Postby tenpole » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:18 pm

I have become aware of a third edition but I have been put off by many coments and the look of the game. It seems to be a card game / heroquest thing that has been dropped. Probably because of Silver Tower.

Nibbles

Postby Nibbles » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:04 pm

Nah, the support was dropped years ago, and Silver Tower is a lot more marginal game than WHFRP, intended as a gateway for AoS. ST won't ever receive as much expansions & additions as WHFRP did.

GW was still making deals with game studios for WHFB products back then, as evidenced by Warhammer Total War. So the decision to discontinue WHFRP was probably made by Fantasy Flight Games themselves.
I do respect your opinions even when I do not state so, we are all free to disagree and agree here. And I certainly do not assume that my ideas about the rules would be the only proper ones. We all have our own ways for playing these games and that is fine.

AndyONeill

Postby AndyONeill » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:43 pm

Do they have a warhammer background?
I did a lot of rpg in the 80s and 90s..
We used gurps as a "standard" across a number of genres. I became dizsatisfied with gurps. My thinking is you don'the want the rules to get in the way of the game. Minimal is best. I eventually based something on feng shui. Characters have some stats and learn special abilities.
Unless this is to be some long campaign, I suggest you consider designing a simple system of your own.
My preference would also be for a different background.

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy”