Measuring Tape/Range Finder: Metallic tape vs. Nylon

This is for all your Warhammer talk

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Harlock
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Measuring Tape/Range Finder: Metallic tape vs. Nylon

Postby Harlock » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:03 pm

Hello Warhammer community! Which measuring tape do you prefer; the hard metallic kind or the nylon "bendy" kind? Personally I think there is merit to both, but wanted to hear your opinions. I've cursed the metallic kind for knocking over my minis, damaging the paint jobs in the past so personally I prefer the nylon tailor's-type tape. I also like that I can manipulate it to move around the miniatures in an arc. Anyway, looking forward to hearing what everyone else thinks!

AndyONeill

Re: Measuring Tape/Range Finder: Metallic tape vs. Nylon

Postby AndyONeill » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:39 am

I like steel for long distance, wooden measuring sticks for shorter and string for rules where you need to measure a path around units etc.
It's pretty easy to make measuring sticks with dowel, 2 colours of paint and masking tape.
You're also not limited to inches or cm - handy for rule sets which use units of measure equal to base widths

gharwars

Re: Measuring Tape/Range Finder: Metallic tape vs. Nylon

Postby gharwars » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:09 pm

For Warhammer I prefer the extendable metal ones, I find them fastest and easiest to use. I have never had a problem with them knocking over or damaging models. For smaller skirmish games involving single models I like to use very accurate hard plastic measuring sticks cut to various lengths. You could make your own out of wood but equally there are many available in various styles made of of plastic. I have a set of 4" to 10" rods from Art of War Studios. Blotz do some cheaper ones too, and I have another set I picked up from ebay for about £5 which has a right-angled stick 1" wide with 2" and 3" lengths as the different sides, making it very handy.
Sometimes I use the hard plastic sticks in Warhammer but it can be a bit fiddly and especially as the game isn't so ultra to-the-mm accurate as some skirmish games, I find a normal tape measure sufficient.

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy”