WTC Feedback

Big beasties or steam powered robots? Axe to mouth baby!

Moderators: Tommm, Keepers of the Peace

Hoolster
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

WTC Feedback

Postby Hoolster » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:15 pm

Thought i'd use this forum to post my feedback on the WTC 2016.

Firstly, this is not a criticism of anybody, it is merely my thoughts and observations. It comes from an angle of my own performance, that of my team and a little bit of the other teams (who did better than ours!)

With the change to mark 3 it has also made it difficult to practice and prepare for. Yes I know that all countries were in the same boat, but I seriously think that as a nation we need to look at improvement, especially as there will be a WTC 2017.

The first point i'd like to raise is that the committee needs sorting out asap. IE who holds what post. I don't mean I have no faith in the current committee! I just mean that it needs to be established so we can start the selection/practice journey.

Once the committee are in place we can then start to move things. There has been a general drop off in interest in England when it comes to mark 3 and the game in general. This has made it hard to find practice against different factions. With the decrease in pool size this will make selection easier or harder depending on your perspective.

My proposal will be that once the committee has been voted in, we open up 'interested players' straight away. That way we know how many are interested and can start as early as possible list/team discussions.

With that in mind, I would like to see 'practice days' for those that are interested with a commitment from interested players to attend. Say, every 3 months. That way the players are practicing against similar skilled players and can freely give/receive feedback on their lists and play style. These can be at different locations to accommodate the national spread of the interested players.

I was disappointed in the amount of discussion this year regarding who was taking what and why. Again, this was due to us finding our feet in the current meta shift, but I think there should have been more discussion around the meta and certain drops etc. I feel we need to improve on this. (For those that don't know communication was set up between all players and in teams on whatsapp)

I also propose that players should lock down on their faction 6 months before the WTC. I am guilty of this as much as the next man having switched to Cygnar 4 months before the WTC, having 'qualified' with trolls and having played them for the previous 2 years. (I like many others were jaded by playing the same faction, but my timing was poor and I believe effected my performance this year) I understand that it's personal preference and you need to be interested in what you are playing, but this is a team/country tournament and that should be on your mind when deciding on whether to put yourself forward for this tournament.

The better performing teams fly out a week before the event to practice. I am not proposing the same - as I couldn't do it! But I think serious thought should be given to going out to Belgium at least one whole day before the tournament to practice.

If we are to do well next year I think we have to show a commitment to improve.

So I don't write war and peace, those are my initial thoughts.

1. Establish the committee asap
2. Arrange 3 practice events before the WTC (once every 3 months)
3. Begin an initial selection process of interested parties utilising 2 above.
4. Increase communication and feedback with a view to developing players/lists/teams.
5. Agreement to lock down on factions at least 6 months before Belgium.
6. Agree on travel arrangements/commitment to a practice day the day before.

And finally. I would like to apologise for my performance at this years WTC. 2-4 was not good enough for my standard, nor that of Team England. I could and should have done better. It is with reflecting on my performance that I have thought about how I and we can improve next year.
My intention was to travel and practice as much as possible but alas, the promotion process was announced at work with stage three of the process being 2 days before the WTC. This was one of the hardest things i've done and i'm pleased to say that today I have found out I was successful. I dare say with similar effort put into the WTC we'd be champions right now!

Bring on next year!
Co-host of Alpha Strike Radio, a Hordes and Warmachine Podcast - check us out on Itunes (and Zune apparently!!!)

''Play me; i'll make you famous!''

MGySgt.Reed
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: WTC Feedback

Postby MGySgt.Reed » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi!

I am actually looking for some info on how to join the WTC. I was a potential candidate for the spanish teams, but moving to UK made that impossible. I would like to attend qualifying events for the 2017 teams. I there any place I should be looking for that info?

thanks!

Hoolster
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Re: WTC Feedback

Postby Hoolster » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:02 pm

Since my post nothing has been formalised........

Twitter is where it is at, that and attending events....

Brett Wilkie, Ryan Evans and Andy McBirnie are looking at where we go from here so following them would be a start.....
Co-host of Alpha Strike Radio, a Hordes and Warmachine Podcast - check us out on Itunes (and Zune apparently!!!)

''Play me; i'll make you famous!''

Return to “Privateer Press Games”