Ninth Age terrain preferences

Latest news and chat from the European Fantasy Team Championship.

Moderators: ETC moderators, Keepers of the Peace

Chris Legg
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Ninth Age terrain preferences

Postby Chris Legg » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi guys,

We are in the very early stages of budgetary planning for the Ninth Age event in 2018 and wanted to get a handle on the terrain that you would like to see at the event. I think we will all agree that WFB/Ninth has traditionally seen the weaker end of the provided terrain and boards - not the right size for example, and what different sizes to the map packs.

This year, in order to try and counter this one option is to go fully 2D terrain. To clarify, this would not be paper stuck down with tack as some of the tables last year, it would be colour printed on mouse mat (neoprene) material, as seen in this link.

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/155-2d-terrain

This type of terrain gives a number of advantages
1. We can buy it in bulk, resulting in a potential discount.
2. It is easier to play on from a technical perspective - no balancing models/units on dice etc and then having an argument later
3. Easier for consistency. We could release a specific terrain pack, that players would be able to use prior to to event, safe in the knowledge that the maps they have practiced on will be accurately represented across all of the ninth age tables.
4. Removes the issues of having different sized terrain on the same tables on different rows - i.e. Row A, table 1 having different sized hills to Row G, table 1. This will mean that the row and table will have less of an effect and be fairer for all.

Any thoughts about this?
ETC Chairman 2018
ETC 9th Age Team England 2016-2017
ETC WFB Team England Captain 2015
ETC WFB Team England 2010-15

kiri

Re: Ninth Age terrain preferences

Postby kiri » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:58 pm

Even thought I clearly see the benefit of this, I will not be happy at all with that choice.

9th age is a miniature games, on a battle field, and terrains are an essential part o the game, that's what make the game so special: immersive feeling.

If we start playing with 2D terrain, the next step will be what? 2D miniatures? Why not play on UB if we're going this way? ^^

A good mix (but more expensive) will be 2D terrain with real terrain on it, which we can easily removed when needed.
Captain team Luxembourg T9A: 2016, 2017 & 2018

Our page facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Team-ETC-Luxem ... 410185834/

Luxembourg Bash Master 2nd edition - 10 & 11 March 2018: https://www.tabletoptournaments.net/t3_ ... ?tid=19858

Ugrush

Postby Ugrush » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:26 pm

We have been debating the subject within last years Norwegian Team today. We will be very disappointed if the decision is to go for full 2D terrain, even though it is neoprene.

We think neoprene 2D terrain as a base area with removable object on top to be the best solution.
This way we both ensure unity between the tables, we get 3D terrain and the 3d pieced can more or less be gathered by hand outside the gaming local as an last resort.

Before money is sunk into terrain, we think gaming tables of correct size and equal height should be pri 1. In other words, not like it was in Salamanca.
ETC 2016 - Norway - Dwarven Holds
ETC 2018 - Norway - Captain

Bazzu

Postby Bazzu » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:00 am

I would rather we stream line the dice instead by investing in etc dice.

We all know some famous batches plus we avoid once and for all the checking of opponent dice

Even last yr we found dice with 2 numbers the same.
Etc 2012 warriors
Etc 2013 warriors
Etc 2014.......escape from comping frenzy
Etc 2015 warriors
Etc 2016.......angry at age of sigmar
Etc 2017 wood elfs...sry sylvan elfs

tomepnk

Postby tomepnk » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:48 am

Chris Legg wrote:We are in the very early stages of budgetary planning for the Ninth Age event in 2018

Meaning budget that needs to be made free to make terrain/tables/...? Not sure what budgetary planning you talk about Chris.

and wanted to get a handle on the terrain that you would like to see at the event.
This year, in order to try and counter this one option is to go fully 2D terrain.
1. We can buy it in bulk, resulting in a potential discount.

Exactly what I talked about in my bid topic. Shouldn't this have been part of the budget when making the bid. An org should know what terrain he can provide/needs to make/buy in order to fulfill the needs of the event?

Correct me if I am wrong, but reading between the lines here can we assume that:
Terrains are going to be an issue (and it's already January meaning there is little time left), a strain on the budget, and as such, you are looking at 2D terrain to make it easier/sure to provide enough terrain without it costing too much? If so, what does this mean for the other systems and their budget?
Chairmen ETC 2010-2014, 2016
Team Belgium 40K Captain ETC 2017, 2016, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
40K Head Referee & Team Belgium 40K Serving Wench ETC 2011
ESC Referee 2014

Chris Legg

Postby Chris Legg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 am

The post was nothing more than a fact finding exercise - it was not intended to be anything more than that. Most people on the ETC forums are aware of your desire for change but this is an entirely separate topic.

At last years ETC the T9A tables had a mixture of white paper terrain sellotaped to it, printed paper with pictures on an varying sizes of actual terrain. By taking an opinion, we can at least try and liaise with the Orgas to ensure a consistent approach across all of the tables with items that the players actually liked.
ETC Chairman 2018
ETC 9th Age Team England 2016-2017
ETC WFB Team England Captain 2015
ETC WFB Team England 2010-15

tomepnk

Postby tomepnk » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:33 am

Chris Legg wrote:At last years ETC the T9A tables had a mixture of white paper terrain sellotaped to it, printed paper with pictures on an varying sizes of actual terrain. By taking an opinion, we can at least try and liaise with the Orgas to ensure a consistent approach across all of the tables with items that the players actually liked.

Shouldn't liaising with org to see feasability of what you propose be a first item then? If there is no budget for massed 2D terrain instead of what the org had in mind, then these discussions are all for naught? Gauging opinions and ideas for ETCs going forward this makes sense but I wouldnt want this imposed on me as an org with half a year to go for the event.

Have you done a case study on costs involved and if there is a company who can mass produce?

I for one wouldnt want to see an ETC price increase because of this for other systems. Maybe normal terrain will suffice this time and we can examine together with future hosts to see if 2d terrain is feasible budget wise and see with the fantasy captains council if such terrain is advisable. It seems to me going from this thread there is little traction for it?

That being said we agree that terrain last year was a shambles. Would love to have an update from Ivan where he stands regarding terrains this year as I would not want a repeat...
Chairmen ETC 2010-2014, 2016
Team Belgium 40K Captain ETC 2017, 2016, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
40K Head Referee & Team Belgium 40K Serving Wench ETC 2011
ESC Referee 2014

papaganoosh

Postby papaganoosh » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:59 am

The thoughts from Team Scotland are that the priorities for terrain should be:

1. Correct sized and height tables (like other games had last year)
2. More space around the tables (like other games had last year)
3. Not just bare wood as the table surface (maybe some sort of paint at least)
4. Ideally 3D terrain to the standard of other games and to the standard size mandated in the rulebook
5. If point 4 is not possible, then 2D terrain should be fine
Surrey Spartans Gaming Club
Team Wales - ETC 2017
Team Scotland (Captain) - ETC 2018

Galadros

Postby Galadros » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Team Canada is returning to ETC after a few years absent in 2018. I can speak for my team that 2D terrain would feel disappointing. @kiri put it well... 9th Age is a miniature game and the gaming environment should fall in line with that. We can certainly deal with any abstractions to the size and scale of the terrain, as long as it still feels like an immersive wargaming experience.

Return to “Fantasy - European Team Championships”