Possibility of Ashes 2017 (Aus vs Eng) in 1st round of event

Latest news and chat from the European Fantasy Team Championship.

Moderators: ETC moderators, Keepers of the Peace

orion 76
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Possibility of Ashes 2017 (Aus vs Eng) in 1st round of event

Postby orion 76 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi guys, Id like to put something forward to the captains for 9th Age to seek a majority permission.

As most of you might know, in fantasy Australia and England play a friendly round every year before the actual event called The Ashes. Its been happening since late last decade (2017 I think is the 10th time itll go down). This year however, due to Team Australia playing in the singles event and some English players arriving just the day before the team event, it is impossible for us to hold this challenge. We both really want to keep the tradition alive and have been pondering different alternatives to fix this issue. The most desired one would be for both countries to get paired off against one another in round 1 of the team event.

We realize this would be hand-picking our opponents for each other (a precedent we certainly do not want to establish: it would just be this one time only), so after speaking to the Tournament Organizer, he has suggested we ask other captains to see if we can get a majority in favour of allow9ing this. If so, he would have no issues with pairing us up round 1.

Neither team is trying to gain any advantage from this btw; Team Aus will not be in the running to win the team event (just to compete hard and try to repeat a top 10 finish from 2015) and Team England wont be in the running either (well, they might think they are... but much like in football; theyre not. They invent it, and the rest of us just get better at it \:D/ ). For some who might think its a free and easy 100-60 to England, just remind them that Australia won it last year 81-79 and only just lost 83-77 the year before, so it tends to be quite close as of late. Plus we have recruited Frederick Humcke for Salamanca as he inspires true fear in the heart of every english player (especially Craig Johnson!!).

Anyway, enough sh*t-talking on my behalf, I just wanted to put this out there to see if its ok with you guys. No formal voting, if youre a captain just post here if yes or no so we can get a rough idea. if its really close then we might have to vote on it, not sure tbh. Cheers.

ETC 2014 WFB Australian "The Empire" player
ETC 2015 WFB Australian "Ogre Kingdoms" player
ETC 2016 T9A Australian "Ogre Khans" player
ETC 2017 T9A Australian "Ogre Khans" Playing Vice-Captain

mike newman
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Re: Possibility of Ashes 2017 (Aus vs Eng) in 1st round of event

Postby mike newman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:38 pm

England do not want this

It has always been played in the Thursday before 8v8 England vs Australia

This year Australia refused to play on Thursday and demanded it be played on Tuesday. Despite the fact England had already arranged a pre etc holiday with a number of other nations - and Australia had been invited to and known of this since etc 2016

We were told we had no choice

Two of our players cannot make the Tuesday due to work commitments. So as Australia has two foreigners standing in this year we asked for a comprise of Tuesday 6v6 no and keeping it Aus v Eng

We were then told one Australian wouldn't be able to make Tuesday. So it would be our 6 v 5 Aussies and 1 stand in

We reluctantly agreed to this comprises And changed all our holiday plans as well as some other nations. This was in January

Ivan's post is the first we have heard of this suggestion. And is specifically something we don't want.

For an event that has always been about comradeship and a strong bond between our two nations. This is being handled very poorly by the AUS team this year in our opinions

We have done nothing but bend over to their demands despite the impact it would have on ourselves. And to now be told that our desired result is something we a) have not been consulted on or b) definitely do not want is a way out of order
@mikeygolem
Team England 2015 - Dwarfs
Team England 2016 - Dark Elves
Team England 2017 - Captain - Vampire Counts
Team England 2018 - Captain

orion 76

Postby orion 76 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Wait a minute there... I was told by my captain to ask for this publicly because that was the general consensus between both teams. I think there's been a major issue of miscommunication here. Im just the messenger. Have a chat with Akhter and sort it out with him Mike.

ETC 2014 WFB Australian "The Empire" player
ETC 2015 WFB Australian "Ogre Kingdoms" player
ETC 2016 T9A Australian "Ogre Khans" player
ETC 2017 T9A Australian "Ogre Khans" Playing Vice-Captain

foodmonster1

Postby foodmonster1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:33 pm

Dear all

Ok firstly there has been some serious internal communication problem ivan as stated was just facilitating a post we thought was common and firstly I sincelry apologies here I was working on information I believe was ok with you Mikey and team England so immediately let's kill this position Mikey I will contact you directly as this is clearly not the case.

Akhter
Captain Australia

Return to “Fantasy - European Team Championships”