MSU in action! - 9th Age! New Battle Report!

Tales of your glorious victories and bitter defeats

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

SmithF
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) BGO 2013 Game 1

Postby SmithF » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:21 pm

GAME 1 – DAWN ATTACK

For the first game, I got drawn against the only other Wood Elf player there, Josse. He came from the Netherlands and his army was a pleasure to look at (he went on to win Best Painted)

His list, from memory, looked like this:

JOSSE'S WOOD ELVES
LORDS:
Spellweaver Lvl4, Lore of Beasts, Wand of Wych Elm, Annoyance of Netlings

HEROES:
Noble BSB, Great Eagle, Hail of Doom Arrow, Asyendi's Bane
Spellsinger, lvl2, Divination Orb, Pageant of Skrikes
Spellsinger, lvl1, Elven Steed, Deepwood Sphere
Branchwraith, Cluster of Radiants

CORE:
10 Glade Guard, musician
10 Glade Guard, musician
10 Glade Guard, musician
5 Scouts, Musician
11 Dryads
9 Dryads
5 Glade Riders, Musician

SPECIAL:
5 Wild Riders, Full Command, Banner of Dwindling

RARE:
Treeman
Great Eagle
Great Eagle

So a list with considerably more avoidance elements, more shooting, less hitting power and a magic defense as good as it gets. We got to play Dawn Attack, and he got to deploy first, meaning that he'd probably get the first barrage into my units.
Now, here I commited a mathematical and tactical error: A quick calculation somehow convinced me that if I deployed on the 6” mark I'd be able to avoid the first turn shooting, which is, of course, false. To rectify this, I had to put my wild riders between Josse's shooting base and mine, and hope I'd get to steal the initiative.

(A more sound approach would have been the “in your face” approach, putting both trees and the treekin on the 12” mark and advancing rapidly, I think)

(I forgot to put the scouts in the central-right forest, they were this well hidden!

Rolling for my spells, I got Wildform, Pann's Impenetrable Pelt, Amber Spear and Savage Beast of Horros.
Josse got Wildform, Flock of Doom, Amber Spear and Curse of Aranheir for his Beastweaver. The Lvl2 spellsinger got Fury of the Forest (D6 s4 magic missile) and the Ariel's Blessing (Regeneration) , while the lvl1 got Treesinging.

Rolling for the first turn, I failed to steal the initiative. So the Bad Wood Elves started first!

TURN 1 – “Bad” Wood Elves

The entire battleline moved up to be within shooting range, with dryads pushing forward a bit more aggressively on the flank. Nothing surprising so far.
In the magic phase a Flock of Doom was cast on the Wild riders, but no wounds went through their armour and ward save. The amber spear was out of range/line of sight due to the big impassable terrain in the middle.
Shooting had more of an impact, considering the shooting penalties, dropping in total 2 Wild Riders, 2 Glade Guard from the rightmost unit (shooting through the woods!) and another 2 from the middle unit.

TURN 1 – “Good” Wood Elves (mine)

Realizing my blunder in deployment, I decided to push forward on the left flank with the Treekin and the Treeman and try to lure the enemy in the middle for some comboo charges from the Ancient, the dryads and the Wild Riders. The latter backed up to get some protection from shooting.
Magic was shut down easily, given the +1 dispel dice from the Cluster of Radiants and the rerolls from the Wand of Wych Elm.
In the shooting phase I focused my shots on the scouts inside the forest, hoping to cause them to panic. Only 2 wounds were dealt, but they passed their Ld test with ease. To the left, the GG shot at an eagle and got 2 wounds through.

(The Treekin are actually where the red die is standing)

TURN 2 – “Bad” Wood Elves

Josse wisely didn't take my bait, and opted to shoot me some more instead of charging head on. So his movement consisted of some fudging, pushing the dryad units and treeman down the middle ( another error I'd consistently commit during this game would be failing to keep my units outside the 16” effective range of the Treewoman's strangleroot attack) and putting his eagles in annoying positions.

Magic saw another Flock of Doom, this time killing two of the middle Glade Guard. The Hunter's Spear was dispelled against the Treeman Ancient. (It is possible that Ariel's Blessing went off on something, but I cannot remember).

In the shooting phase the skies went dark from the arrows, and I lost 5 Glade Guard from the rightmost unit and another one from the leftmost unit, as well as 2 wardancers.The Treewoman got a “10” for her Strangleroot and killed 4 dryads with it.
My shooting division was diminishing fast, so I'd have to go on the offensive.

TURN 2 – “Good” Wood Elves

Since the shooting game was lost, I'd have to win the combats, right? The right dryads charged into the blocking eagle, the Wild Riders charged into his wounded counterpart to the left. He fled, but was cut down thanks to the Banner of Swiftness! Other charges were the BSB into the Treewoman's flank: Josse had put her too far from the BSB/General bubble, meaning that I had a decent chance to break her with my flank, charge, banner, plus any wounds I'd be able to get (especially in case the Beast of Horros was cast). I unfortunately failed to get the 9+ needed, so that plan went out of the window.
What slightly made up for it was the charge of the depleted dryads on the Scouts; Josse decided to flee with them, and I then proceeded to roll Boxcars and catch them right in the middle of josse's battleline, wild riders right in front of my dryads.

In the remaining moves I advanced with all my tree spirtis on the flank, the Treeman Ancient rumbling down the middle of the board. Some maneuvering to evade the Treewoman was had, and the Great Eagle flew right in front of her for some charge-blocking.

Magic was yet again uneventful, the wand of Wych Elm blocking all of my attempts at casting spells. (we were getting an almost even number of dice on each of my magic phases).

Shooting failed to even scratch the Treewman and the archers to the left.

In combat the dryads put two wounds on the Great Eagle, but also lost a couple of their own to the bird's talons, which then held its ground.

TURN 3 – “Bad” Wood Elves

The Wild Riders charged into the dryads right in front of them, eager to avenge the scouts. The rest of the army avoided getting in close combat. Some maneuvering led to the small dryad unit with the brachwraith entering the middle forest, and glade guards advanced to get in close range of their targets.
The Glade riders blocked the regular Treeman's path to the wizard bunker, with the BSB close behind.

Magic saw me use the scroll against a high casting roll of Amber Spear. The rest of the magic was subsequently shut down.
Shooting took a heavier toll, once more; the BSB used his hail of Doom arrow on the Wardancers, killing them all off, while the treewoman attempted to strangleroot the dryads right in front of her but failed (misfire). The rightmost Glade Guard killed my eagle with a single volley. Finallly, the archers to the left went haywire and killed all of the Wild Riders, denying me the chance of chasing down the enemy BSB on the following turn.

In the combat phase my Dryads went first against the Wild Riders and dropped two of them from their saddles before losing one of their number to the Elven horsemen. They then passed their Ld test and the battle carried on (3 on 3 now). The rightmost dryads finally made short work of the Great Eagle, and that gave them a juicy reform move (see picture). A combo charge into the dryads was in the making.

TURN 3 – “Good” Wood Elves

The time for some charges had arrived: The treekin crashed into the leftmost glade guard, the Treeman fell into the Glade riders, who held to save the BSB right behind them. My Eagle rider, along with the Treeman Ancient and the victorious dryads from last turn performed a double flank charge on the branchwraith's retinue inside the forest. I knew they would be steadfast, but it was a way of protecting my units from shooting for another turn.

In remaining moves I moved everything I could away from the Treewoman, putting the Beastweaver into the leftmost GG unit.

Yet again, magic was shut down completely (and I was going for multiple spells in an attempt for attrition...). Shooting did nothing to the Treewoman.

In combat, the Treekin made short work of the Glade Guard, leaving only 2 to flee (under the rally point), then they ruined half my plan for rolling up the flank by failing their restrain test and pursuing 11 inches! The Treeman next to them killed killed all but one Glade Rider, sending them fleeing and reforming from victory to face the glade guard bunker.

In the dryad/ Wild Rider combat, the 3 remaining dryads killed only one wild rider, and the remaining caused two wounds, winning combat by 2. The Dryad then obligingly failed its rerollable 7 Ld test and fled, leaving the elven cavalry free to act in my opponent's next turn.

In the main event things went better, with the Noble killing the Branchwraith in combat and the rest of the forest spirits amounting for a total of 5 dead dryads. The remaining 4 passed their steadfast test and held their ground.

TURN 4 – “Bad” Wood Elves

So last turn my forest spirits finally made contact with the enemy, and now Josse's response was a typically wood elven one: Evade!

The Spellsinger on horse and the spellweaver both moved the furthest possible away from my treemen, and the BSB on eagle did the same thing, now that his Hail of Doom arrow was expended. The remaining 2 Wild Riders decided to conserve their points, too, by hiding in the top right table corner.

Magic was mainly my opponent trying to cast the big Amber Spear on the unengaged treeman and me dispelling it. Shooting killed off my rightmost glade guard, and the Treewoman once more misfired while trying to strangleroot my middle Glade Guard.

Combat was brief and bloody, all the enemy dryads were stomped to the ground and all of my units reformed to face the enemy Spellweaver and BSB.

(The lone eagle is actually the BSB on eagle, just the rider broke off mid-game)

TURN 4 – “Good” Wood Elves

The regular treeman charged into the former bunker and made it! On the other hand, the BSB failed a 16” charge on the beastweaver, leaving him a sitting duck inside the forest. This forced me to move up my treeman Ancient (which I had destined for Treewoman/dryad killing) after the Spellweaver.
The rest of the army maneuvered away from the dryads and the Treewoman.

In the magic phase I got a good roll, 6 power vs 4 dispel, now that the Branchwraith was gone. I cast an Irresistible boosted Amber Spear on the Treewoman, causing only 2 wounds, sadly.
As luck would have it, he lost 3 levels due to the miscast and forgot all his spells save for Pann's Impenetrable Pelt.

In the Shooting phase, the flaming Glade Guard didn't put a single wound on the Treewoman, while the Ancient fared better and got the 3 wounds needed from Strangleroot to kill the Spellweaver.

The Treeman hacked and stomped at the Glade Guard, but they remained steadfast and passed their Break Test.

TURN 5 – “Bad” Wood Elves

No charges for my opponent, his BSB, Wild Riders and Lvl1 on horse moved even closer to the table corner and even further away from all the action.
More importantly, the Treewoman passed her march test and marched up to the BSB stranded inside the forest. Come the Shooting phase, she got 4 s5 Strangleroot hits on him, and I obligingly failed all my armour saves and the first 3+ Stone of the Crystal Mere ward of the bunch, killing my character instantly.

A long range barrage got the last fleeing dryad (of former Scout killing glory).

In combat, the treeman finally wiped out all of the Glade Guard, and reformed to look at the Treewoman.

TURN 5 – “Good” Wood Elves

Now, here's what happened next. When we began turn 5, we had 50 minutes left to bring the game to a close. When Josse ended his turn, there were only 15 minutes left... So we decided, sadly, that since the judge was pretty strict about the 3 hour limit, we'd finish the game at the bottom of turn 5. Not as painful as when playing against a dwarven Gunline, but still a bit frustrating given the circumstances.

So instead of maneuvering to get the Wild Rider and/or the BSB on the final turn, I turned everything towards the Treewoman, hoping to bring her down with shooting. 14 Strangleroot hits and 10 s4 flaming shots later, she had only suffered a single wound ,denying me any bonus points.

And with that, the game came to a close.

Counting the points, it turns out I won by about 300 points, a result of 11-9 in my favor according to the tournament rules.

WOOD ELF VICTORY!

AFTERMATH:

A very interesting game, one I feel could have gone better, if not for a couple of tactical errors on my part and a lot of bad rolling.

Highlights/Turning points:
Losing the roll to go first: This put my shooting units at a disadvantage, since it allowed a first turn barrage.
The fumble in deployment: 24”+6,1” protects from imperial crossbows but not from Glade Guard longbows. Using the Dryads in a shielding fashion would have been a better idea.
The effectiveness of Josse's shooting: Even shooting through his own units and through forests, he managed to whittle down my Glade Guard pretty fast.
The failed charges: The BSB was probably feeling a bit under the weather, failing first a 9+ charge, then a more important 6+ charge, that cost him his life and me 300 points!
Trees > Elves: in this game, pairing units for combats was key; I didn't want my dryads to go toe to toe with enemy dryads, or the treewoman. My treemen did most of the work, and could have also gotten the Treewoman (and a bigger victory margin) if I had had my final turn.

Josse was a good, fun opponent and the game went quite smoothly. An interesting rules query came up, one that I am presenting to you:

When a unit decides to flee as a charge reaction, what comes first:
a)The roll for the flee distance, then the attacking players' decision to redirect or not?
b) The redirection decision happens first, then the defending player rolls his flee distance?

I have always played it and seen it played as (a), and it had never posed a problem before. I think it makes fleeing less “safe” and the decision to follow or not a fleeing unit a more rational one.
This was in fact ruled against me this time, by both the tournament judges. According to them, you first decide if you're going to redirect into another unit, THEN your opponent rolls the dice.

Both approaches are legitimate and the rules can be read both ways, so I'd be interested to know what you guys think on that one (mainly, how you and your gaming communities resolve this).

Next up: GAME 2: Pitched Battle against the Glittering Host!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Laribold: Hey, thanks a bunch for the reply! As you see, you were not mistaken at all. Internet cookie for the foresight!

Swordmaster
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:37 pm

Hi Smith,

Thanks for the report! Good to see your real life games :)

Just quick comment and a question. Hopefully, I will find time to add more when I read the report properly later.

1. Very nice terrain and quite a lot of it. Well done to TO's as I know it is not easy to get enough of it.
2. How do you find WE vs WE games?

Cheers!
Blog: Path of an Outcast

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Battle Log with shortcuts to Battle Reports: HE MSU
Article on HE MSU: HE MSU - Observations
Rate my Battle Reports at: Sigmar's Fantasy Battles

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?

Razon

Postby Razon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for the report and all the nice pictures. Makes reading easy and fun.
It was an interesting matchup and the result was a bit disappointing, only a small win. WE are very hard to catch and and your combat units didn't get to fight much. Not having turn 6 isn't very 'cool'.
I think you made a mistake with the depoyment, heavy hitters (treekin) were on the flank. As is the case with heavy cav, when opponent doesn't have a unit that can take it head on (I know, all armies usualy do), it should be in the center of your army, looking for targets.

Looking forward to reading about the other games!
ETC Team Croatia Vampire Counts 2010 & 2014, Skaven 2011, Tomb Kings 2013. Captain for 2013, 2014, 2015.
Member of ETC FAQ.com 2011, AR.com 2012
ETC Team Serbia Orcs&Goblins 2017

khsofsso

Postby khsofsso » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:40 pm

First time reader of your reports. Fantastic writing very informative.

Im Playing against woodies later so this has give me some insight, his list is very similar to yours although has an extra noble with the no armour save bow.

As for your question.

Flee roll is done first. You can then declare charges with other units to see where fleeing unit finally ends up. This allows you to check new distance and then decide if any units wish to redirect.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to rest of reports

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:44 pm

Swordmaster wrote:1. Very nice terrain and quite a lot of it. Well done to TO's as I know it is not easy to get enough of it.
2. How do you find WE vs WE games?

Hey Swordie! Like you said, the terrain was quite pleasing, both in artistic and in gameplay terms. Each table presented tactical challenges and opportunities, which, combined with the scenarios, made the games very enjoyable.

About the mirror match, I find that it was more interesting than most mirror matches in that the lists had different focus points, one being more shooty/evasion and the other being more combat-oriented. To be honest, Wood Elves are so rare nowadays that I had never had a mirror match with them before! Like I said in my conclusion, the lack of a 6th turn probably benefited the evasion elves more than mine, but it was all good fun..

Razon wrote:I think you made a mistake with the depoyment, heavy hitters (treekin) were on the flank. As is the case with heavy cav, when opponent doesn't have a unit that can take it head on (I know, all armies usualy do), it should be in the center of your army, looking for targets.

Hey Razon! Very astute observation, but you're overlooking one fact: The scenario being Dawn Attack, I had no control whatsoever over where my Treekin went: They rolled a "1" and had to deploy on the left flank. That said, if they hadn't failed their restrain test they would have been able to join the fight in time, and threaten the enemy BSB.

There were some "D'OH!" moments in the tourney, but more on that later!

khsofsso wrote:Flee roll is done first. You can then declare charges with other units to see where fleeing unit finally ends up. This allows you to check new distance and then decide if any units wish to redirect.

Hey mate, thanks for the kind words!

That's how I play the flee roll/redirect sequence myself. But in the tournament the players I asked AND the tournament judge were against this, and said that you declare whether you're redirecting, then your opponent rolls for the flee move. I think they might have it mixed up with the decision to pursue after your enemy breaks from combat...

Most of the time I'm well-equipped to point out the rules to people and win rules arguments, but the atmosphere of the event and the pace of games overall was that good that I didn't bother: I pointed out what I thought my opponent played wrong, then he either acknowledged it and we went on or he didn't and we played it his way.

In this instance, the rules misinterpretation kind of worked in my favor, since I declared and succeeded in a pursuit move I wouldn't have dared otherwise (Dryads got an 11" charge roll).

Stay tuned, round 2 will be posted during the Weekend!

SmithF

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) BGO 2013 Game 2

Postby SmithF » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:25 am

GAME 2 – High Elves

After the quite enjoyable quiz break, we got to find out our opponents for round 2: I got paired against Reiner, a Dutch player who had brought a High Elf list that may seem familiar:

HIGH ELVES – 2400

LORDS:
Prince, Barded Steed, HA, Enchanted Shield, Ogre Blade, Dawn Stone, Other Trickster's Shard
Archmage, Lvl4, Lore of Beasts, Great Eagle, Talisman of Preservation, Dispel Scroll

HEROES:
Noble BSB, Barded Steed, HA, Lion Cloak, Shield, Lance, Banner of the World Dragon
Noble, Griffon with Swooping Strike, Golden Crown of Atrazar, Charmed Shield, HA, Lion Cloak, Lance
Mage, lvl2, High Magic

CORE:
17 Silver Helms, Shields, Full Command
5 Ellyrian Reavers, Musician
5 Ellyrian Reavers, Musician

SPECIAL:
5 Dragon Princes
Skycutter Chariot

RARE:
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Frostheart Phoenix

With 1000+ points safely stacked in the unkillable silver helm block, I was happy we weren't playing Blood And Glory! Reiner's build allowed him to make some “out of the box” choices in the form of the Griffon Noble, the Skycutter and the Eagle Archmage. But essentially, pretty standard stuff...

Looking at this army list, I instantly decided the following:
1. I wanted the Treemen as far away as possible from the Silver Helm Block as possible; the s6 prince would make a short work of them for little to no gain, given the 2+ ward vs magical attacks.
2. The shooting battery had to die as quick as possible, same with the fast cavalry, so that I could then play the redirection game.
3. The rest of the list are more or less easy points that I should get.

With the following in mind, and given my superior number of deployment drops, I managed to get the following deployment:

So, the Silver Helms would have to choose between going through the sea of redirectors to get my elf characters and shooting units, or go for the treemen and leave the right flank undisturbed to deal with the rest of the high elf force.
Wary of the RBT shooting, I opted for a deep formation with the skirmishers screening the softer units. After 6 turns of Glade Guard fire, I had learned my lesson!

Spells:
Beastweaver: Wyssan's Wildform, Flock of Doom, Hunter's Spear, Curse of Aranheir
Archmage: Wyssan's Wildform, Pann's Impenetrable Pelt, Hunter's Spear, Curse of Aranheir
High Mage: Soul Quench, Drain Magic

The Wood Elves won the roll too go first, and the battle commenced!

TURN 1 – Wood Elves

The Wild Riders took advantage of the fact that they hadn't vanguarded to declare a mid-range charge against the rightmost reavers. The idea was that either Reiner would flee, and this would give me an extra turn of shooting without any repercussions, or he would take the charge and lose his reavers while propelling my Fast Cavalry up his flank and forcing him to commit his Griffon or Phoenix.
The Reavers held and the Wild Riders made their 9+ roll to get into combat.

The left flank pushed forward, keeping the Treemen in long range from the Dragon Princes, while in the middle and the right flank units moved up a bit.

In the magic phase Wyssan's Wildform on the Wild Riders was dispelled, but this allowed the Flock of Doom to go off against one of the RBT, dealing a wound. The Curse of Aranheir also went off against the SH bus.

Shooting was directed at the unengaged Reavers, killing all of them, while the wounded RBT managed to stay alive despite the amount of arrows shot at it.

In combat, the Reavers struck first and killed a couple of Wild Riders, but these retaliated killing 3 Reavers, one short of the rallying limit... This forced me to pursue the cavalry, catching it but putting my Wild Riders right in front of a very angry-looking griffon!

TURN 1 – HE

Said griffon charged the Wild Riders, and the rest of the army advanced rather cautiously, wary of the DT tests on the silver helms.
Magic saw a Soul Quench go off against the middle pack of Dryads, killing 4 of them, and the Archmage forced through a Curse of Aranheir on the Treekin. (Bad dispel rolls there)

Shooting was directed against the depleted dryads, leaving only one alive. The second RBT shot at the Glade Guard in the forest, killing three and panicking the remaining 7 out of the board (3 consecutive rolls of 11+ here!)

In the combat phase the Noble struck and killed 2 Wild Riders, the survivors directed their attacks against the beast but only wounded it once, and were subsequently killed by the Griffon's attacks. It then reformed to look at my battleline.

TURN 2 – Wood Elves

All the enemy units were still too far away, so no charges were declared this turn. The Treemen pushed forward against the Dragon Princes, tempting them to charge next turn. The right flank maneuvered a bit, and in the centre the rightmost unit of dryads was offered as a sacrifice to the Silverhelm block.

A Flock of Doom was yet again cast on the RBT, killing it off this time. The Hunter's Spear went off against the Phoenix, but Reiner made his 5+ Ward save. Finally, the Curse of Aranheir was dispelled.

Shooting was concentrated on the remaining bolt thrower, killing it off. The griffon managed to shrug off the arrows shot at it.

TURN 2 – High Elves

The silverhelms took the Dryads I offered them, the Dragon Princes charged into the regular Treeman, oblivious to the Ancient staring at their flank. The Phoenix charged the rightmost Glade Guard, who opted to flee to safety, leaving the big bird stranded. Finally, the Griffon Rider charged into the Treekin block.

With most of the units engaged, the Archmage moved up a bit and the skycutter positioned itself for a turn 3 flank charge into the treeman.

Magic was shut off this turn, due to a failed cast of the Curse of Aranheir against the Treekin.

In the combat phase the Silver Helms made firewood out of dryads, reforming to face my battleline. The Dragon Princes put a wound on the treeman, not suffering any casualties themselves. The Treeman stubbornly refused to retreat, bolstered by the presence of the Ancient nearby. Finally, the combined effort of the Griffon and Rider dropped a single treekin, leaving 3 to strike back the beast. Bad dice struck, meaning that the beast only suffered a single wound, staying alive. Being Steadfast, the Treekin passed their Break Test.

TURN 3 – Wood Elves

The treeman ancient failed his charge against the Dragon Prince flank, while the nearby dryads maneuvered to threaten the skycutter next turn. The BSB spotted the enemy Archmage within charge range, and he smashed into the spellcaster.

In the remaining moves it was time for the Eagle to take one for the team, and he placed himself right in front of the silverhelm block. The Glade Guard rallied, and, now that the enemy ranged attacks were dealt with, the Spellweaver scaled the hill solo to offer assistance to the units in combat.

In the magic phase the scroll was burned to prevent the Hunter's Spear on the Phoenix, and the Curse of Aranheir on the Griffon was cast despite the enemy mage's efforts. Finally, a Flock of Doom put a couple of wounds on the Skycutter chariot.

Shooting was directed at the Phoenix, but failed to even scratch the beast.

In combat, the lone Treeman killed a Dragon Prince for a wound back, leading to a drawn combat. The Treekin dodged most of the enemy attacks, suffering 2 wounds. They retaliated by finishing off the Griffon and stomping the rider, who had to use his Crown of Atrazar to stay alive. He then passed his Ld test and held his ground.
Finally, the Noble BSB didn't manage to bypass the 4+ ward of the Eagle Archmage, won combat by 2, but the High Elf mage made his Ld7 test.

An interesting rules query arose here:
Does the Archmage riding the eagle get the superior Weaponskill of the Eagle, becoming WS5? I thought that only wounds and toughness of the mount could apply to the rider, but again the Judges and my opponent had a different view on the matter. So the Great Eagle could only hit the elven archmage on 4's instead of 3's. Opinions on the subject?

TURN 3 – High Elves

The Skycutter crushed into the Treeman's flank, while the Silver Helms refused to take the Great Eagle bait and swift reformed past it. The Phoenix charged my lone Beastweaver, who fled to safety.

In the magic phase the Soul Quench was attempted at 24+, and failed.

The skycutter dealt a wound with its impact hits against the treeman, the riders adding another one. In return, the big tree dealt a wound against the chariot and dragged 2 dragon princes from their saddles. He then passed yet another ld9 test.

The treekin stomped the Noble to death, while the BSB managed two wounds against the Archmage, receiving none in return. The pesky mage again passed his ld7 test.

TURN 4 – Wood Elves

So far so good, the big block had been contained and I was in a good position to get some points. The Treekin charged the Phoenix to keep it occupied for a little while and hopefully even break it with CR. The Treeman ancient made his charge this time, as did the Dryads against the Skycutter.

The Beastweaver rallied, and the lone dryad stepped up in front of the silverhelm bus, in redirection duty.

With all the enemy units occupied, the shooting battery repositioned.
Magic defenses were focused on dispelling Wyssan's Wildform on the Treekin, leaving the Curse of Aranheir go off against the Silverhelms.

In the combat phase the Archmage yet again dodged my attacks, warding all wounds I dealt against him. He then passed his Ld test once more, and would continue to annoy me, keeping my bsb occupied. The Dragon Princes and Skycutter were both crushed, freeing up my monsters.
Finally, the Treekin managed a wound against the Phoenix, for a single wound back. They won combat and the big bird held.

The Ents march to Isengard...Image
TURN 4 – HE

The Silverhelms charge the lone dryad, pass a ton of DT tests, but both the Prince and the BSB fail their tests and suffer a wound! In the magic phase the Drain Magic is cast irresistibly, and a cascade is rolled!

Now, here's why the cursed banner is a bad thing for warhammer: A mage blows up in the middle of the silverhelms, dealing 14 s10 hits or so.... 1 Silver Helm dies.... and the mage survives unscathed! Grumble grumble....

Combat goes on: The BSB keeps trading blows with the Archmage, and Reiner keeps making 4+ ward saves! At this point, he must have saved 8/10 wounds! The Phoenix and Treekin trade blows, nothing major happens. Finally, the dryad dies valiantly and the silverhelm block reforms to look at the treekin. (strictly speaking, reforming with the same formation wouldn't have been possible due to space issues, but I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, since it was of no importance)

TURN 5 – Wood Elves

The ninja Archmage had kept my bsb pinned down so far, which meant that he'd be in trouble next turn! Both Treemen move up to help keep the silver helms under control in the last turns of the game. A bit of moving around for the rest of the army, and that's all.

The wildform on the treekin is yet again dispelled, same with the Curse of Aranheir.

I finallly kill the Archmage, after 5 combat phases!
The Treekin still hold out against the Phoenix, down to two models now, one having suffered 2 wounds. They still hold, which is good news!

TURN 5 – High Elves

The Silverhelms crush into the Treekin flank. In the subsequent combat phase, disaster strikes! Between the 4 attacks of the Prince, the 3 Noble attacks, the 8 Silverhelm attacks and the extra 5 attacks of the Frostheart, Reiner only manages 3 wounds, leaving a single treekin alive on one wound....

And suddenly, the Silverhelms have a pursuit path that takes them straight into my BSB! They make the 8+ roll and things are looking a bit bleaker...

TURN 6 – Wood Elves

Last turn's antics mean that I have to pull out a rabbit out of my hat, if I want to stay in the game! In comes the treeman Ancient, rear charging from 17” into the Silver Helms! He makes it on double sixes, and the rest of my army sighs in relief!

Amber Spear is dispelled and the Curse of Aranheir goes off on the Silver helms. Shooting fails to wound the phoenix once more.
In combat the Eagle rider challenges the Prince, and his Ward save kicks in saving all the wounds caused! The treeman fails to do any wounds due to the 2+ ward, but both my characters hold their ground, having only lost by 1 after all!

TURN 6 – High Elves

No charges available for the Phoenix, leaving only the combat to be fought. Drain magic is dispelled.

The Prince in the challenge doesn't care about -1 to hit, wounds 4 times and I proceed to fail the first out of the 4 ward saves, dooming my BSB. He's dead, he's an ex BSB.
The treeman Ancient waves his branches around, and then passes a very shaky Ld9 stubborn test, ending the game!

Victory Points:
Wood Elves: 1175
High Elves: 1045

RESULT: DRAW 10 – 10

(The tournament required a 200 point difference for a win)

AFTERMATH:

A very good, fast paced game! It was marred by a couple of unlucky moments on my part, namely the Treekin that refused to die and the HE Archmage that also refused to die! Both led to the demise of my BSB and cost me the win (since he gave up 300 points in the last turn).

I think that overall this game went the way I wanted it to, given the limitations of the lists:The presence of the banner of the world dragon relegated my treemen to chaff hunting duty, but that's 8th edition warhammer for you!

Reiner is a good general, but he made a mistake in not charging my eagle on my turn 3; it could have allowed him to punch through towards my soft units and gain some points. In the end, he got the 10 points of the draw and went on to do very well with his other games, ending in 3rd place!

So this put me in the middle of the pack, with 21 points out of 40.

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:58 pm

The most attentive of you may have noticed that I mentioned a warhammer quiz in my previous post.
The Belgian Grand Open follows the example of the Warhammer Grand Pageant of the days of old, meaning that there's points for all aspects of the hobby, including background: A quiz of 18 questions was given to us, with 15 minutes of time to complete it. Hilarity ensued.

For those of you who want to test their knowledge, here is the test as I remember it from memory:

BGO 2013 - Warhammer Quiz

1. What is the name of the Skaven magic weapon that killed Nagash? (hint: it gives S10 and D6 wounds)
2. What is the name of Marius Leitdorf's trusty horse?
3. In what part of the warhammer world can one find the Sea of Chill and the Sea of Malice?
4. What is the name of Skarbrand's twin axes?
5. What is the name of the more popular Kislevite deity?
6. How are the common goblin assassins called? (Hint: they get ASF and KB on the turn they are revealed)
7. How is Mazdamundi known amngst the Lizardmen?
8. What is the sum of all the stats of a Doombull?
9. Which one of the following items is not in the Chaos Dwarf list? ( Mask of the Furnace, Iron Mantle, Dagger of Malice, Chalice of Darkness)
10.How many Dwarf special choices are there?
11. What is the name of the Dragon the sisters of Twilight ride?
12. What is the strength of the central hit of a scraplauncher template?
13. Which of the following rules are not part of the Hellsteed's profile (Monstrous Beast, S4, Fly..)
14.How was the war between the High Elves and the Dwarves called?
15.How is the Tomb Herald's ability to protect the Tomb King called?
16.Which of the following units doesn't fit the list and why:
- Pirazzo's Lost Legion
- Alcatani Fellowship
- Braganza's Besiegers
- Ricco's Republican Guard

So there you go, a little Saturday afternoon Warhammer Quiz for the fluff enthusiasts! Enjoy!

Targ Ironfist

Postby Targ Ironfist » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi SmithF,

a good and solid report as ever. I have been able to read Your wood elgi vs. wood elgi game.
(Caling any wood elgi good is simply wrong, by the way! :P ).

Interesting in many ways. I have learned a lot. I did not know trees can grow boobs etc. :mrgreen: :twisted:

When reading about Your glade guard placing I have been thinking like what the... is he doing. It will not help him any here. You named it and explained it so there is no reason to dwell on it any more.

All in all I would say the terrain rather supported Your play style then the enemy´s and You used it quite well.

You might have done some mistakes, but it was still You, who seemed to dictate the game tempo.
A pity You did not get the turn 6 and also some of Your luck is realy appaling.

Btw. Normaly I do not miss battle chronicler in Your reports but this special tree hugger dance was realy a bit confusing.

The warhammer test: Great how much one can forget. I would be able to answer maybe half of those questions. I simply can not remmember the name of the stupid sword that thaggoraki gave Alcadizar. #-o Realy shame.

Flee reaction sequence: we played that in the b way. On the other hand, the flee reaction clearly states that the roll is made immediately. As a former tournament judge I woud be leaning to the a/. (Roll for the flee first, redirect later.)

Thank You once more.

With regards

laribold

Postby laribold » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:17 am

Another great report SmithF. It's heartening to see Wood elves standing their ground against 8th edition armies (including THAT banner...)

I'm pretty certain you were right about attacks happening against the WS of the rider (archmage in this case) not the ridden beast - it's the same for things like ripperdactyls which have lower WS riders. Monstrous cav use the same rules as cav (except for Wounds and Toughness stats). Compare to goblin wolf riders, who I think have lower WS riders too.
My trading feedback thread:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=103203&start=0

Skewbert

Postby Skewbert » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:32 am

Laribold is correct, I only know this because of the Goblin Wolf Riders, the wolf is WS3 and the Goblin is WS2 but attacks go against the Goblin, and I believe it can be found under the Cav. section of the Big Red Book.

Nice to see the reports, hopefully you will host our fluffy report when you get time.

Squigkikka

Postby Squigkikka » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:41 pm

Those judges were bloody awful, neither decision they ruled was a correct one. You always strike against the rider of a mount, not the beast- I know, I've got the WS2 wolf riders and WS2 Squig hopper riders of the Goblins!

That's a great report though, very informative and knowledgeable :) I'll definitely have to learn a lot more MSU from your games!

edjuh

Postby edjuh » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:37 am

Hi SmithF,

I think you have mixed some names up. Reinier didn't play high elves this tournament. I think you played Daniel, because I played him in round 3 and that is defintly his army :o
he played with the double hellcanon and TZ sorc lord on disc. I think you played him the 3rd or 4th round.

Regarding the playes it's a shame that there were only 30 people attending (with quite some people from the netherlands).

I know Reinier and Josse, both of whom I played quite often in the dutch tournament scene. If I had known your were the famous smithF I wouldn't definitly tried to get your attention and talk warhammer..

I was playing Dark elves and even made it to 3rd place in the tourney.. Was quite happy with that result.

All in all the tourney was good (only the price reward was a long time in the waiting) and the saturday evening was quite entertaining...

Hope to see you next time!! Maybe you even want to enjoy a tournament in the netherlands?!?!?
2014 Netherlands ETC team member
2013 Netherland ETC WoC player

Targ Ironfist

Postby Targ Ironfist » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:07 pm

Hi SmithF,

thank You for another good read.
I can only say, that You had a lot of bad luck there. The game should have belonged to You.

Judges: Pretty poor, sorry. Rider does not beneft from mounts WS. Fullstop.

One question on top:
Since when does the Frostheart phoenix get a 5+ WARD????
He gets a 5+ armour save - due to the frosty ice...

With regards

SmithF

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) BGO 2013 Game 3

Postby SmithF » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Game 3 – Empire

For the third game of the event we were asked to play an unusual scenario, called “surprise encounter”. This can be found on page 389 of the BRB. In short, the table is divided in 6 24” x24” sections, and players take turns claiming them by deploying a single unit in each ,then a single character within one of the 3 units they deployed in this way.
All other units and characters enter randomly as reserves from a table section claimed previously (read the book, I suck at explaining stuff like that!)

My opponent for this was Kaj, a long time player and member of the Green Knights, who were organizing the tournament. His empire list looked like this:

Empire 2400

LORDS:
Archlector, VHS, Great Weapon
Mage Lord, Lvl4, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Metal

HEROES:
Captain, BSB, FPA, Shield, Banner of Discipline
Engineer
Battle Mage, Lvl2, Lore of Fire
Battle Mage, Lvl2, Lore of Beasts

CORE:
40 Halberdiers, Full Command
-10 Archers (det)
- 5 Archers (det)
10 Halberdiers
- 5 Archers (det)
5 Vanilla Knights, Musician

SPECIAL:
Great Cannon
4 Demigriffons, Full Command
3 Demigriffons, Musician

RARE:
Hellblaster
Steam Tank

Having never played the scenario before, I tried to figure out what was the best way to approach it: With only 3 units on board and a Ld test needed for first turn charges, I decided that ideally I'd be able to take out enemy shooting, then get the treemen into combat before the Metal Mage could do a number on them with the Seering doom spell.

The interesting bit in this scenario is that you do not CHOOSE which table section your reserves will come in, meaning that you have to adapt your strategy as the game goes.

No deployment pic here, since only 3 units each were deployed:
I chose to start with a unit of glade guard on the bottom right, followed by a dryad unit in the bottom centre section, then another unit of dryads on the top left section. Kaj plonked 10 halberdiers with detachment and a fire mage on the top right, then a unit of knights in the top centre section. Finally, in an ingenious move, he put his steam tank in the section that was left (bottom left), but as much to the centre as possible. With 3d6” random movement, it was sure to cause some headaches!

Rolling for my spells, I got Wildform, Flock of Doom, Amber Spear and Curse of Aranheir. Kaj's Metal Mage lord got Searing Doom, Enchanted Blades of Aiban, Glittering Robe and Transmutation of Lead, while the Fire mage got fireball and Firestorm. Finally, the beasts mage got Wildform and Amber Spear.

TURN 1 – Wood Elves

The elves got the first turn and I brought on my shooting battery, all entering from the bottom right section of the field. The Eagle joined them, as well, and a unit of dryads that came up close to the enemy halberdiers. Finally, the Wardancers with my Beastweaver appeared in the top left, which was far from ideal given the proximity of the Steam Tank. I decided to put a hill between us, and a good 22” as well :).

In the magic phase I went for multiple castings instead of a single big spell, and it paid off: Kaj dispelled the flock of doom on his Halberdiers (which would probably force a shakey ld7 check) and then had to suffer the effects of the Curse of Aranheir on his Steam Tank and a low-powered Hunter's Spear down the knights' flank, which killed 3 of them but did not panic them.

The steel resolve of the Imperial forces continued in my shooting phase: The combined efforts of the glade guard only killed 4 archers, but the lone survivor refused to panic.

TURN 1 – Empire
Kaj was more impatient than me and chose to bring his entire force on the table: The small demigriffs positioned themselves between my dryads and the Fire mage's retinue on the top right; the cannon also appeared on that section. The rest of his army came in play from the bottom left: Hellblaster on the hill, halberdier block with characters near the middle and the big demigriff block directly opposite my top left dryads.

The steam tank generated 3 steam points and decided not to risk the DT test and just shoot its cannon.

Magic was largely directed against the dryads now threatening the cannon, but the firestorm scattered away and the fireball got dispelled. Shooting saw my great eagle get killed by the steam tank's cannon.

TURN 2 – Wood Elves

This turn I chose to bring my treekin in the game, on the top left section; that was bad news, since they'd be facing my opponent's most powerful units... On the other hand, a wildformed treekin unit was a good answer to both of them, and my mage was close enough to make a difference. The Wild riders also appeared in the same section, and made a file for the cannon right away.

In the remaining moves my right dryads evaded the demiwolves and advanced along with their central counterparts and the wild riders toward the cannon.

In the magic phase I decided to repeat last turn's tactic: Small castings, in good old 6th edition Tomb Kings style. I find that this works great in the first turns, when the opponent still has a scroll: You often put him in a situation where he has to risk receiving a powerful spell or burning his scroll for a 2-dice casting.

So, I picked my 2 dice and directed a Hunter's spear down the flank of the 2 remaining knights. Surely enough, I got a miscast. The two knights died, clearing my wild riders' way to the cannon. All is well.

And then my Beastweaver decided it was a good time to cascade himself into the warp, taking with him my scroll and the better part of my Wardancers. On a 2d6 casting...Good times!

* now you see him*

* now you don't *

Shooting didn't do much, just killing off the last archer from the detachment and a couple of halberdiers from the top right unit.

TURN 2 – Empire

The big demigriff unit decided to take my dryad bait, bringing them closer to the treekin. The positioning of the dryads was such, that if he failed his test to restrain, he'd reveal his flank to the treekin. Worth a shot, especially away from the BSB.

The fire wizard bailed from the halberdier bunker and the steam tank advanced towards my wild riders.

Without the help of the Beastweaver for dispelling, I was forced to let the Enchanted blades of Aiban through on the big demigriffs, as well as a firestorm on the middle dryads. That scattered once more, leaving them unscathed.

Shooting was directed against the Wild Riders: After two cannon shots, only 3 remained out of the original 7. Still enough to threaten the cannon next turn!

Combat went as expected: the buffed demigriffs killed off all the dryads and reformed to look at the treekin.

TURN 3 – Wood Elves

Last turn's miscast had gotten me in a very difficult position and removed my only way of dealing with the steam tank. That meant that I'd have to focus on the two flanks and try to delay the steam tank while I whittled down the imperial forces.

In come the treemen and the BSB on eagle, my only remaining reinforcements. I'm rather proud of their positioning and how it made life difficult for Kaj's monstrous cavalry:

The regular treeman placed himself between the Treekin and the demigriffs, in such a way, so that if they charged him they'd have to wheel all the way and bring their flank to face my Treekin. With ws5 and s6 I was confident he'd hold out long enough for them to slam into the flank and break them.

In the same spirit, my treeman ancient and BSB tag-teamed to block the Demiwolves to the right.

As for charges, a unit of dryads and the wild rider charged into the cannon, both making it. The rightmost dryads fell into the small halberdiers.

With the top right section under control, my glade guard swiftly reformed to turn their attention to the big Halberdier block; with 4 rounds of shooting remaining, I had good chances of whittling them down significantly before they reached my lines.

First, they wiped out the small archer detachment in the hope of a panic test on the character bunker, which was passed. A couple of halberdiers also fell to their arrows.

Combat saw the wild riders kill off the cannon and overrun out of the table, while the dryads fluffed and failed to negate steadfast on the halberdiers, who passed their break test.

TURN 3 – Empire

Kaj got both of my treemen baits, charging in with his demigriffs. His steamtank tried to generate steam points to charge my wardancers but misfired, losing all steam points!
In the remaining moves the halberdiers began their long march towards the thin yellow line, while the hellblaster, lacking any targets, scaled the hill.

In the magic phase I threw all I had into dispelling the enchanted blades of Aiban. I think then Kaj failed to meet the casting value for Glittering Robe on the Halberdiers. Shooting from the 10 remaining archers was directed at the two remaining wardancers, but failed to impress.

In combat, the regular treeman took it on the chin, suffering a couple of wounds and dealing out two himself. He then passed his ld8 test and held up the demigriffons in a very awkward position. On the right flank things went also according to plan, the Ancient suffering a wound for no wounds back ( good armour save rolling is to be expected from empire players!). The important thing was that the advance of the monstrous cavalry was halted and help was on the way!

Finally, the dryads made short work of the remaining halberdiers and reformed to face the fire wizard.

TURN 4 – Wood Elves

So a comeback from the elves: The cannon is dealt with, demigriffs are pinned down and the general/bsb are too far away to even matter!

The wardancers charged into the steam tank, looking to keep it occupied for another turn. The BSB flanked the demigriffs and the Treekin declared a charge on the juicy demigriff flank. They needed a 3+... I got snake eyes!

Kaj let out a sigh of relief, and we moved on! The dryads to the right charged into the fire wizard, and the shooting battery shot arrow after arrow at the halberdier block. 30 arrows later, only 4 halberdiers had died!

Combat was equally catastrophic: Between the Ancient and the BSB I failed to kill the single demigriff needed to negate steadfast, and Kaj easily passed his ld8 test. The regular treeman got a wound from the big demigriffs, he then dealt 2 and lost the combat by musician. Following the trend, he failed his Stubborn check and fled off the table, leaving the Demigriffs free to reform and charge the Treekin next turn!

At least the dryads managed to kill the enemy fire wizard …

TURN 4 – Empire

Not being one to throw an opportunity away, Kaj charged into the treekin. His halberdiers advanced towards my archer line and the Steam tank performed a grind on the blocking wardancers. He dealt two wounds, and I rolled the two 6+ ward saves they needed to stay alive and keep the tank pinned down for a turn. (I would have gladly changed that for a decent charge roll, though!)

In the magic phase the beast wizard managed to cast an irresistible Wyssan's Wildform on the Demiwolves, losing all his levels in the process. Shooting was uneventful, leading us to combat:

The Treekin took a beating in spite of their high toughness, and failed to return the favour; they lost combat by a lot and fled, getting cut down. The demiwolves managed to put a wound on my BSB (his 3+ ward save keeps failing on the first attempt!) but then the Treeman Ancient got in charge and killed a beast on his own. The remaining two now failed their break test and ran a full 12”, getting away from their pursuers.

TURN 5 – Wood Elves

The BSB now had to charge the demigriffs again to make sure they stayed dead, depriving me of a crucial turn of maneuvering. (he caught them and reformed)
The Ancient advanced behind the ruin towards the Halberdier block. After movement it occurred to me that the Archlector would be probably armed with the Speculum, meaning that being near that unit without the bsb to challenge out the lector was a bad idea... So I pushed one Glade Guard unit forward to keep them occupied and, more importantly, deny the Metal Mage his Seering doom on my treeman.

I was now at the sweet spot; 15” away from the halberdiers for all my Glade guard should put a dent on the unit... One mediocre shooting phase later, only 7 Halberdiers fell!

The wardancers continued pointlessly hacking at the steam tank, but at least the behemoth was stuck!

TURN 5 – Empire

With the game nearing its end, Kaj charged my archers and broke them, running them down in pursuit. The Steam tank finally got rid of my 2 wardancers, and the rest of the imperial forces stared at the wood elves from a distance!

TURN 6 – Wood Elves

With the steam tank free and the metal mage finally near my treeman ancient, I had to be chose between getting a cannonball in the face or just a Searing doom. I opted for the second, and maneuvered all my units in positions to throw everything including the kitchen sink at the Halberdiers. 20 s4 shots, a strangleroot and a successful panic test later, the halberdiers were still standing.

TURN 6 – Empire

The imperial forces consolidated and the metal wizard ran out of his unit and suspiciously close to the treeman ancient. The winds of magic came up very low, depriving me of any dispel capability against the Searing doom. The treeman got d6 flaming hits and sufffered 2 wounds, which multiplied into 4. He was still alive, clinging to life on his last wound!

And with that, the horn sounded the retreat for the Wood Elves: A lot of trees had fallen, and the elves would have to write songs for that sad day...

Victory Points:
Empire: 1331
Wood Elves: 664

LOSS 6-14

AFTERMATH:

After what was a rather challenging game, I couldn't help but feel a bit let down by my dice: The scenario was perfect for my army, and allowed me to create some interesting situations by mid-game. Then all hell broke loose and the I lost more points than I could possibly recover. One bad roll followed another and Kaj played a good and safe game to get him the win.

Key moments in the game:
1. My Beastweaver blowing up on turn 2 after miscasting on a 2-dice spell. With no magic support dealing with monstrous cavalry and/or Steam tanks becomes a daunting task (not to mention the 300 points given up for no reason)
2. The two treemen showing up and pinning down the demigriffs in Gandalf “You shall not pass” fashion.
3. The treekin failing an 8” charge to fall into the demigriff flank. Anything but snake eyes, you say? This cost me not only the treeman, but also the Treekin. I also didn't get the points for the Demigriffs, meaning an 800 point shift between a wood elf massacre and the 6-14 result.
4. The demiwolves who refused to die! They kept me occupied a turn more than I had expected, what with the double-6 flee and all. Later in the game that meant that I couldn't charge the halberdier block and kill some characters with my ancient, since I wouldn't be able to neutralize the Speculum with the eagle noble.
5. The last turn Searing doom: While I didn't lose the treeman, he was reduced to under 25% of his starting wounds. According to the tournament's house rules (inspired by ETC, I am told), this meant that I gave up another 210 points for him (half his points plus half the 100 point general bonus).

In the end, a good game that could have gone my way with slightly different rolls. Kaj was a pleasure to play against and went on to get 2nd place with his Empire! So kudos to him and certainly hoping we get to play a rematch one of these days.

And with the third game, the first day of Grand Belgian Open 2013 came to a close. We got to hang out with the Flemish guys after the game hall closed up, talking warhammer and eating Argentinian steak. Quite the combination, if you ask me, and a perfect way to cap the first day of the tournament.

* Games 4 and 5 to come soon, stay tuned! As always, don't be shy and leave a comment or ten.

Smith

Targ Ironfist

Postby Targ Ironfist » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi SmithF,

when I first saw the scennario, I thought: "Hmmm, Smith has it in the bag!"
It seems one can be wrong...

Some realy bad dice for You and some solid for Kaj.
On the other hand, you might consider an earthing rod for Your mage. :mrgreen:
If You roll "so well", then that might be the solution. :wink:

It is very hard to say if You could have played it differently, considering all those "superb" dice rolls. The treekin is my favourite - something like that happened to KillerK, when he played his DE against me. But he needed a 4" or 5".
Happened to me too, though. I had wounded a vampire lord twice and needed to roll a 3+ on a 2D6 to get rid of him. Got snake eyes and nearly lost the game, there. #-o
So I realy know how You feel.

Thanks for another report. Good to keep my brain cells working on something different than work. :lol:

With regards

K-OS Dwarf

Postby K-OS Dwarf » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:46 pm

indeed SmithF superb reports and it was a pleasure to have you at our tourney and all guys attending off course.
Cya soon and merry Xmas and happy new year mate ;-)
ETC TEAM BELGIUM FANTASY CAPTAIN 2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016
ETC TEAM BELGIUM FANTASY PLAYER 2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016
Reich ist das land, das Helden hat- doch arm das land, das helden braucht!

Tubis

Postby Tubis » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:48 pm

The last battle report and the treekin-demichickens situation finally swayed me over to the "random charge distance is idiotic" camp. Common, that was some pretty brilliant play on your side + a mistake made by your opponent. The unit was yours, plain and simple. Ok if the treekin and the treeman fluffed their attacks in combat I wouldn't grumble but what happened just plainly sucks.

Electric Puha

Postby Electric Puha » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:53 am

The crowd demands more blood!

Targ Ironfist

Postby Targ Ironfist » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:27 am

Tubis wrote:The last battle report and the treekin-demichickens situation finally swayed me over to the "random charge distance is idiotic" camp.

I have to disagree. It got away with the movement cheating /to a certain part/ and with the measure cheating totaly.
It makes the situation more of a battle and less of a mathematical excercise.
Situations like this one happen relatively rarely - thats why they cause such an uproar when they do.

Twice in all of my games in the second edition got my opponent a snake eyes result when it realy mattered.

SmithF: More reports, please! (Now, while You still remember a bit... :mrgreen: )

With regards

SmithF

MSU in action! (2500 - pics) BGO 2013 Game 4

Postby SmithF » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:16 pm

So, it has already been 7 months, hasn't it?

Targ Ironfist wrote:SmithF: More reports, please! (Now, while You still remember a bit... :mrgreen: )

Quite the prophet there, Mr. Ironfist! Indeed, the details of the last 2 games of the Tournament are now quite hazy...GAME 4 – Warriors of Chaos

So far I had managed to evade the tough boys, but with 6 chaos armies out there it was bound to happen! For the fourth game we were supposed to play Meeting Engagement (diagonal deployment scenario) and I got paired against Reiner, who had the following list:

Warriors of Chaos 2400

HEROES
Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch, Lvl4, Disc of Tzeentch, Talisman of Preservation, Third Eye of Tzeentch, Chaos Familiar, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might, Other Trickster's Shard

Exalted Hero of Tzeentch on Daemonic Steed, BSB, Great Weapon, Armour of Destiny, Scaled Skin

Chaos Sorcerer, lore of Death, Dispel Scroll

CORE
18 Slaanesh Warriors, Halberds, Shields, Full Command, Banner of Swiftness
5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh, LA, Flails, Throwing Axes, Musician
5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh, LA, Flails, Javelins, Musician

SPECIAL
Chimera, Flaming Breath, Regenerating Flesh
Chimera, Flaming Breath, Regenerating Flesh

RARE
Hellcannon
Hellcannon

Thankfully he's a great guy and already has a lot of friends, because that list didn't gain him any at BGO! Twin 3+ ward characters, twin Chimeras and twin Hellcannons! The combination of Treason of Tzeentch, a potential doom of darkness and the Hellcannons is scary. (And got Reiner a T1 win in his last game, where he managed to make the enemy silverhelm deathstar flee off the table after he cast both spells on them!)

What's more, we were playing the scenario that enables people to actually deploy within 12” of the enemy deployment zone, so I'd have to act fast and isolate some elements of the chaos army before they could all gang up on me. In terms of reserves, I had the Treekin and my Wardancers with Lvl4 in reserve, while my opponent had to keep one of his Chimera and his lvl4 on disc in reserve (I was hoping for a hellcannon or two in reserves, which would have saved me a turn's worth of shooting, but having the disc rider only move 10” first turn would have to do).

My deployment focused on two things: Keeping the treemen relatively safe from first turn Hellcannon shots (I put them on different sides of the house, limiting the potential shooting to just one hellcannon shot per treeman), and boxing in the Chimeras. To the right I could bring all 30 archers to bear on the same beastie, and hopefully that would be enough to rid me of it quite fast.

Spells:
Beastweaver: Wildform, Pann's Impenetrable Pelt, Amber Spear, Savage Beast of Horros
Sorcerer Lord: Blue Fire, Bolt of Change, Treason of Tzeentch, Tzeentch's Firestorm, Gateway
Death Mage: Spirit Leech

TURN 1 – Wood Elves

I haven't got a picture from that first turn, but not a lot of movement happened: Not knowing where the second chimera would show up meant that I had to be conservative with my Wild Riders, and the rest of the army was better off softening up the enemy before the charge. The Treekin arrived directly opposite the Hellcannon, ready for a second turn charge.

Magic wasn't very effective due to the lack of range, and shooting was underwhelming as well: Out of 30 arrows shot at the chimera, only one managed to pierce its hide (Very good saves from the chaos side here, 2 flaming shots saved and then another 5 or so).

TURN 1 – Warriors of Chaos

The Chimera appeared on the west side next to the Hellcannon, while the sorcerer Lord showed up in the middle of the Chaos force.The rightmost Chimera charged the Glade Guard closest to it, who took the opportunity to stand and shoot.
The idea here was that if I was able to take another wound or two off, then the monster would be much less of a threat and could be seen off with another round of shooting. Unfortunately, even at close range I failed to wound it. The rest of the chaos force advanced in unison towards my bowline. The leftmost Hellcannon failed its Rampage test and moved 3d6” towards my Treekin, falling 1” short of a charge!

Magic was largely out of range due to the Lord's positioning, and a Spirit Leech from the Death Mage against the Treeman was dispelled. The Hellcannon in the middle veered off target and failed to hit the Treeman Ancient.

Combat saw the demise of all 10 Glade Guard, meaning that the Chimera wouldn't have to test to restrain pursuit and managed to reform straight away. (A point of interest being that this turn's charge brought it outside the 12” Bubble of the General and the BSB).

TURN 2 – Wood Elves

This turn I saw a couple of opportunities that I had to take advantage of: Both Chimeras were outside the Ld range of BSB and General, meaning that they were one Ld test away from fleeing off the table. In comes the BSB on eagle, charging the rightmost chimera, and the Wild riders charging the leftmost one. The Treekin also charged the Hellcannon opposite them, hoping to grind it over the course of the game.

The rest of the army maneuvered to cover my bowline (What was left of it anyway), and the treemen made way to the front of the battleline now that one of the hellcannons was tied down.

Magic focused on getting the Wildform through on the BSB, which drew the enemy scroll. Shooting killed a single Warrior of Chaos and one Marauder horseman.

In the BSB fight, the Chimera's flaming breath was nullified by my Noble's Dragonhelm, and he managed to score a single wound with his Warrior Bane. The chimera then proceeded to get a “3” on the D3 for the random attacks, and predictably dealt 3 wounds... “I've got this”, I thought, thinking that I only needed one save in order to win the combat by 1 and run the Chimera down, ridding me from a major headache.

It turns out that 3+ ward saves are crap, especially ones that only require one failed attempt to stop working. The BSB failed his first Crystal Mere roll and lost his ward save, suffering 3 wounds and dying a terrible death.

The Wild Riders didn't fare any better: The chimera got 12 hits with its breath attack, killing them all. They managed, at least, to deal a couple of unsaved wounds

*That's as far as I had gotten back in December,there's no way I can carry on with the same amount of detail! So time for a photo slideshow:*

TURN 3 WE

TURN 4 WE

Chaos characters chasing my units around, the BSB is being fed unit after unit to keep him away from my wizard.

So what happened was that the Treekin kept hammering at the Hellcannon, winning combat for a couple of rounds before fluffing their rolls, losing by 1 and fleeing! That left the Hellcannon at 1 wound, and I couldn't get its points in the end...

The combined efforts of the other Hellcannon and the Tzeentch magic took 5 wounds off my treeman ancient, plus a couple off my regular Treeman. An Amber Spear took care of the Chimera that ate my BSB, while the other one kept away from my archers to conserve points.

So, fast forward to turn 5, where the Treeman charges into the Chaos Warrior Bunker.

He kicks the Sorcerer to the ground and starts stomping the unit, getting a wound back but winning steadily.
My Treeman Ancient then moves to join the fight, on one wound. The reasoning behind this was that the champion had to challenge, and with ws6 and toughness 9 (from Pann's Impenetrable pelt) I'd be able to survive, stomp him to the ground and get a final turn of Thunderstomps on the unit to finish it off. A detail here is that if you look closely at the image, due to wheeling issues the treeman Ancient would only ever be in contact with 1 enemy model.

So, in magic I manage to get off Panns' Pelt on the TMA, then in combat the champion challenges: He manages to sneak a hit past the treeman's defenses, proceeds to roll a "6" to wound, and I fail both my 5+ saves! So my general is dead, I'm another 400 points behind and the dreaded champion is still alive!

To make matters worse, the champion was to survive the game as the last member of the unit, he then broke in the last turn and fled, but my regular treeman failed to catch him, denying me any points. So, in the end, a very big loss for the elves! (That combat in the middle cost me a total differential of 800 VP!)

*Last game, tournament wrap-up and an update on my new Wood Elves coming really soon!*

Swordmaster

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) BGO 2013 Game 4

Postby Swordmaster » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:33 am

Mr. Smith!

About time! One could think you forgot about your fans and abandoned them without saying good bye! It is god to see you reporting again! What is more, I know you are playing with new WE furiously on UB so I hope against hope that real life is not going to interfere too much and that you will be able to provide a steady stream of regular reports as it used to be in good old days!

Cheers!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?

Squigkikka

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) BGO 2013 Game 4

Postby Squigkikka » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:02 am

Indeed, I recquire more reports- especially with the newest, fanciest Wood Elves!

SmithF

MSU in action! (2500 - pics) BGO 2013 FINISHED

Postby SmithF » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:40 am

GAME 5 - DARK ELVES

So, after the last two games and the two last-minute defeats the possibilty of placing high enough was eliminated! I got paired against Tim, a Dark Elf player who went on to win the "Newcomer of the Year" award for his endeavours the whole tournament season.

His list included units of fast cavalry, a big Darkshards unit, a big Cold One unit with a Dreadlord and BSB in it, a unit of Corsairs accompanied by a Cauldron of Blood and an Assassin, a Kharibdyss as well as 3 RBT.

The first part of the game went really well, with me isolating his crossbows and his general's unit and taking apart the fast division of his army. The treeman baited the corsairs with cauldron into a forest, and the ensuing flank charges took them out.

By then we were having so much fun talking and Tim is a guy that really lives his games, that I decided that avoiding his Cold One unit would not be a good way to end the tournament: The Kharibdyss managed to get into my lines, eating 2 units of GG and a unit of Dryads before it was killed by amber spear. And in the main event, the Treeman ancient, the Wardancers, a unit of Dryads and my BSB charged the Cold One bus on all angles.

Queue in 3 failed charges, and the Ancient went in with the BSB. I figured that the ward Save would help him against the Dreadlord, who challenged. Well, let's say that I'm not too sad that the 3+ Ward saves are gone from the new book, since I couldn't even pass one of them to save the BSB!

The Ancient died to the Dreadlord over the next few turns, and the remainder of my shooting failed to take out the remaining cold one knight to get the points for that unit. In the end, the battle ended a bloodied draw, with Tim ahead in points!

So in the end I ended up with 1 win, 2 draws and 2 losses, all bloody games, right in the middle of the pack! It could have gone better, there were certainly times when I'd have liked better dice, but on the whole, Belgian Grand Open was a very enjoyable tournament! A shout out to all my opponents, and all the great guys I met over the weekend. I'll be certainly coming back for BGO 2014!

PS: Oh, and guess who won the Quiz! Yours truly, duly named Loremaster of BGO! :)

* Wood Elves: The Next Generation coming soon!

Electric Puha

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) BGO 2013 FINISHED

Postby Electric Puha » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:23 am

Can't wait to see what you're doing with the new book. How are you finding the TMA? Seems like it could be an amazing anvil if you can avoid getting burnt down.

SmithF

MSU in action! (2500 - pics) New Wood Elves!

Postby SmithF » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:48 pm

A brief (and late) review of the new Wood Elf Army Book.

After a few games with the new army list, I have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't in the new book. By reading various forums, I've also noticed what selections and playstyles are the more popular for the new wood elf players (seeing as there were only a handful of old ones to begin with) and for their opponents.

Instead of going into a full book analysis, I'll go through the evolution of my lists in the last few games, and my conclusions for every one.

First off, I tried translating my original list into the 8th edition, which looked something like that:

Treeman Ancient, lvl2
Spellweaver, Lvl4, Beasts

Shadowdancer, Potion of Strength
Waystalker, Bow of Loren

20 Dryads, champion
10 Glade Guard, Trueflight

4 Treekin, Champion
7 Wardancers
7 Wardancers
5 Wild Riders, Shield
5 Wild Riders, Shield

Treeman
Great Eagle
Waywatchers

After a couple of games, my impressions were the following:
-Treeman ancient is as good as a normal treeman, with the bonus of having magic. No reason not to take him, especially given the 18” Inspiring Presence radius, but two spells from the lore of life didn't have the impact I wanted; far too often you'd end up with Throne of Vines and Shield of Thorns or another tame combination.

-The Shadowdancer is even better than the old Blades of Loec Wardancer, better weaponskill and ASF rerolls, can get 3+ ward to strike a couple of turns instead of just one, and potion of strength/savage beast turns him into a mini-Bloodthirster. Highlight: a Shadowdancer killing an Arachnarok on full wounds, single handedly, in one close combat phase! All that said, far too often he ended up not participating in the battle or getting in combat with something that he couldn't handle.

-Waystalker is a nice addition, especially with the Lore of Beasts : 5 no armour shots is the equivalent of the old Bow of Loren Highborn, only cheaper! Again, though, he ended up often just being used for his scouting capabilities and/or as a redirector in the closing steps of the game.

-Wild Riders: Beautifully imbalanced, in the same way as the old Dark Elf Hydra was. Even if you made them 35 points each, every single WE player would get some. Great marketing ploy, but I found myself missing the old Wild Riders that didn't attract this much attention and missile fire. Αs games progressed, Ι learned to use them not as flankers, but as one-shot nuclear strikes against medium-sized opponent units.

-Dryads: solid bunker, I've got 24 very nicely painted dryads that I won't be shelving any time soon. They take a lot of missile fire to go down, and provide immunity to psychology to the elven characters. They also do well enough against skinks :)

-Wardancers: I believe these actually got better! ASF and high initiative means guaranteed hits, which surely translates into some wounds. They are a great anti-elf unit, can reliably kill characters that aren't immune to killing blow, and if you happen to boost them with a Wildform, then they shine. The 3++ ward also turns them into solid roadblocks, especially when inside forests.

-Treekin: while the loss of strength is a sad event, I rarely used them for their combat punch anyway; hitting on 4+ meant that relying on them to deal damage was dangerous. On the other hand, they soak up damage (especially when boosted to toughness 6 with wildform) and the champion can challenge big gribblies and keep them pinned for a turn. They didn't change much, I still appreciate them. Plus, they got cheaper!

-Glade Guard: Three units of Trueflight glade guard are annoying for most opponents. Hitting shades inside a forest, on long range, after having moved, on 3+ can be very frustrating. I decided to tone down the shooting and give some of the other arrows a try as well.

Queue in the second incarnation, which involved dropping the Shadowdancer, exchanging the Treekin for some of the new-fangled Wildwood Rangers and boosting the Treeman Ancient to level 3. This worked quite well, but I started to notice that I rarely cast savage beast of horros due to range limitations and the fact that I didn't have a dedicated combat hero. It had become essentially a way to boost my Waystalker's shooting capabilities, only it's still debateable whether he can multi-shot with Sniper. One such discussion too many, and the Waystalker was out of the window. I had to rethink the entire approach, which brings us to my current list:

Wildwood Avengers – 2500

Treeman Ancient, lvl3 Lore of Life
Spellweaver, Lvl4 Lore of Heavens, Dispel Scroll, Opal amulet

15 Dryads, Champion
10 Glade Guard, Trueflight, Musician
11 Glade Guard, Hagbane, Musician
5 Glade Riders, Starfire Arrows

5 Wild Riders, Shields
5 Wild Riders, Shields
18 Wildwood Rangers, Standard, Musician
17 Wildwood Rangers, Standard, Musician
7 Wardancers
7 Wardancers

Treeman
Great Eagle
5 Waywatchers

I must say I am very impressed with the Wildwood Rangers, they bring some much needed high strength attacks in the army, over a small frontage. They die easily, but what doesn't in a Wood Elf army. Overall, they perform quite well in most of my games and give my opponents something to worry about, other than the Wild Riders. They have taken out a Tzeentch Daemon Prince, a Keeper of Secrets, a unit of Plague Drones, and given the necessary punch to a multitude of other combats. I find that the Lore of Heavens compliments them quite well, with Harmonic Convergence making up for the lack of rerolls and Blizzard/Curse of the Midnight Wind keeping them from dropping like flies once in combat. Being medium-sized allows for some casualties before their combat effectiveness is affected, and they still cost less than the Treeman.
As for the shooting, I find it enough to put a dent on a crucial enemy unit, or kill off a warmachine or two early on, without monopolizing the game. I found that too often with 3 units of glade guard I'd hang back and shoot for a couple of turns, whereas now I am forced to commit and fight for victory!

One thing that is open for debate is the lack of flaming attacks in the list. I could certainly put the flaming banner on one of the WWR, but in that case they would be vulnerable to Dragon Helm characters. I no longer see as much Regeneration as before, must have something to do with the flaming cannons you see all over the place!

SmithF

MSU in action! (2500 - pics) New Wood Elves vs HE

Postby SmithF » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:08 pm

I had a very interesting battle a while back against Ljinxphoenix, the Croatian High Elf player. He is a good friend of Razon's, and it seems that they come from the same Warhamme Dojo, meaning that they both make me sweat to get points! Here's a picture of our deployment, as well as the army list he used (his ETC list, actually).

Wood Elves - 2400
Treeman Ancient, lvl2 ( Awakening of the Forest, Dwellers Below)
Spellweaver, lvl4, Lore of Beasts (Wildform, Flock of Doom, Amber Spear, Savage Beast)
15 Dryads, Champion
10 Glade Guard, Trueflight, Musician
10 Glade Guard, Hagbane, Musician
5 Glade Riders, Starfire Arrows

5 Wild Riders, Shields
5 Wild Riders, Shields
7 Wardancers

Treeman
Great Eagle
5 Waywatchers

2400 - ETC High Elves

Loremaster of Hoeth: General, Lvl2, Talisman of Preservation, Dr agonhelm, Cloak of Beards
Loremaster of Hoeth: Lvl2, Armour of Destiny, Dispel Scroll
Lothern Sea Helm: BSB, Bow, Sword of Anti-Heroes, Shield of Merwyrm
2x5 Silver Helms: FCG, Shield
2x5 Ellyrian Reavers: Musician, Spear, Bow
5 Ellyrian Reavers: Musician, Standard, Spear
22 White Lions of Chrace: FCG, Banner of the World Dragon
5 Shadow Warriors
1 Frostheart Phoenix
3x 1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
2x 5 Sisters of Avelorn

So my opponent had brought a list with enough shooting to make a difference, a practically untouchable white lion block and two loremasters. I haven't seen this done a lot, but I have to admit that the versatility of having doubles of every signature spell out there is nothing to scoff at.

In the deployment I tried to limit the impact the enemy magic and shooting would have early on, hoping to get the bolt throwers as soon as possible, then focus on the knights and try to stall/redirect the white lions. The Wardancers and Wild riders were the only units I feld comfortable charging with into the lions, so protecting these was important.

I won the roll to play first, which would hopefully allow me to whittle down the shooters early on.

TURN 1 – Wood Elves

I opted not to charge anything for the firs turn, spending it instead on moving slightly forward and maneuvering into position in the flanks. I quite fancied my treeman's chances against the frost phoenix (the treewhack attack can deal a lot of damage to it), so pushed the treeman aggressively forward on the right flank.

Magic began with a low roll (it would become a trend), but I did manage to get off a small Amber Spear on the leftmost Silver Helms, dropping 3 of them and panicking the other 2. In the shooting phase the sisters of Avelorn were trimmed down to 2 models strong each, while the waywatchers failed to kill the silverhelm needed to bring them under 25%.

TURN 1 – High Elves

Spotting the mistake on my part, the Ellyrian Reavers on the left charged the waywatchers' flank, taking 2 casualties from difficult terrain on their way in. The other two units of reavers move up, the one in the middle blocking the advance of my dryads and WWR. The fleeing Siver Helms rallied, and the battleline pushed a bit forward.

In the magic phase the Wild Riders were the prime target. Between a successfully cast fireball and the remaining of the shooting, only a unit of 3 Wild Riders survived. As a plus, a miasma was successfully cast on the Waywatchers, making it more difficult to get rid of the reavers.
The only combat so far saw a single waywatcher killed, and his comrades held their ground thanks to being in a forest.

TURN 2 – Wood Elves

The thin Dryad line charged into the reavers, who fled all the way to the right flank, and out of reach. The treeman charged into the Shadow Warriors, who passed terror and held their ground. Finally, the leftmost WWR went into the reavers' flank to help out the waywatchers.

The centre of the army didn't move much, the proximity of the Frost Phoenix being a deterrent. On the other hand, the treeman ancient approached to within 24” of the White Lion block, intent on using Dwellers on them!

In the magic phase disaster struck: snake eyes for the winds of magic meant that the treeman wouldn't be able to cast his spell! Magic was blocked, and we moved on to shooting. This went a bit better: The hagbane glade guard shot off the leftmost bolt thrower, panicking the depleted silver helms off board! The trueflight guard got rid of the right unit of Sisters, failing to panic the Phoenix, though.

In combat the Treeman stomped the Shadow Warriors to the ground and overran into the fleeing Reavers, instantly killing them, too! Finally, with the help of Wildwood Rangers, the other reavers were also dealt with.

TURN 2 – High Elves

The high Elves went on the offensive, both Silver helms and the Phoenix declaring a charge into the dryad line. The White Lions reformed into a long 3-wide column and approached the Treeman ancient...

Magic rolled in, giving 6 power dice vs 5 dispel. The first Loremaster rolled 3 dice on the Metal Signature spell against the ancient, barely getting the 10 needed. I opted to use 2 dice, hoping to block both spells and save the treeman. Mistake! Rolling a “5” to dispel, I broke my mage's concentration and promptly received 4 wounds from the spell anyway. The second Metal Sig spell was cast with a higher value, and finished off my general.

Shooting proved to be largely ineffective, killing a single waywatcher and putting two wounds on my eagle.

In combat the Dryads lost 3 of their number to the elves' attacks, failing to do any wounds back. Now the Silver helms and Phoenix reformed to be safe from any retaliating charges.

TURN 3 – Wood Elves

Time to go on the offensive with the right flank: Treeman, wardancers and Wild Wood rangers all advanced towards the White Lions, while the left Wildwood Rangers moved up to flank the Phoenix/Silverhelms next turn. The right Glade Guard wheeled to face the remaining reavers.

Magic was again pretty ineffetive,, wildform on the dryads was blocked and the Flock of Doom dealt no wounds on the closest bol thrower.
Shooting didn't fare a lot better: the Waywatchers killed one of the two remaining Avelorn Sisters, the trueflight gladed guard panicked the Ellyrian Reavers out of the field and the Hagbane glade Guard only managed to wound the RBT once.

In combat all my attacks went to killing a single silverhelm, so as to maintain Steadfast. I did kill one, received 5 casualties back and then proceeded to fail my steadfast roll anyway and run for the hills. The dryads outran their pursuers, but in the end it wouldn't matter as they'd keep failing their rally rolls for 2 consecutive turns and flee out of the table! What's even worse is that both the pursuers ended up into the WildWood Rangers housing my Spellweaver! (We had to roll off for the path of pursuit and it was determined that the dryads would flee away from the Phoenix, sentencing my unit to a gruesome death next turn).

TURN 3 – High Elves

With just the White lions to maneuver, Ljinxphoenix reformed them to face the other treeman, but this time magic failed to harm it. Shooting didn't perform any better, with wero wounds on the tree and a single waywatcher dead from a sharpshooting sister of avelorn's arrow.

Combat went as prediicted: The Phoenix and Silverhelms dealt a lot of damage, s4 WildWood rangers struck back and left a single silver helm alive. My unit had seen enough, though, and turned tail and ran, getting easily caught by the lone Silver Helm.

TURN 4 – Wood Elves

With a 900+ point swing in 2 turns, I figured I'd have to go all out offense to even stand a chance. However, I didn't fancy my chances against a White lion block that could combat reform as a reaction to my charge. So this would have to be done in stages:

The treeman charged the White lions to the front, while Great Eagle, WildWood Rangers and Wardancers maneuvered so as to limit combat reforms while being on both flanks. The Wild Riders charged into the victorious' phoenix's flanc, hoping to hold it in place for a while.
The Glade Riders finally graced us with their presence!

Shooting saw just a single wound put on the right RBT, all other shots failed to wound (including against the lone Sister of Avelorn, who would in turn kill off my last waywatcher the following turn!)

Combat was a not a lot better: The treeman took 4 wounds in total and thunderstomped two lions to death, while the Phoenix killed two wild riders and reformed to face the last survivor.

TURN 4 – High Elves

With pretty much everything enganged, not much movement was had. In the magic phase I couldn't stop the double Wildforms: one got through, making the white lions s7 and sealing the treeman's fate.

Shooting finally got the lone waywatcher and 3 of the Glade Riders, failing to panic the last 2.
In combat the White Lions easily killed the treeman, but the positioning of the eagle and the other units stopped them from reforming to face both the wardancers and the WWR. In the end, they opted for a wide formation, facing the Wildwood Rangers.

The Wild Rider ducked and dodged the Phoenixe's blows, bringing the combat to a draw and pointing out why having musicians is a good idea!

TURN 5 and 6

In the closing stages of the game, the Glade Riders managed to finish off the Sisters of Avelorn, the Great Eagle killed the remaining RBT and the lone Silver Helm dodged all projectiles coming his way to survive unscathed! The Phoenix finally dealt with the last Wild Rider, but by then he was too far to influence the main combat. The Dryads failed to rally, costing further points to the Wood Elves.

In the main event, the Wildwood Rangers and the Wardancers charged into the White Lions and an epic combat ensued:

On the first round the Wardancers went haywire with their additional attacks, and between them and the WWR, 10 white lions dropped. They stubborny refused to budge, though, and the Wildwood rangers felt the brunt of the HE counterattack with 6 casualties.
The second round saw Loremaster magic shine, with miasma and blizzard getting chucked right and left and seriously hampering my ability to damage the White lions. Nevertheless, the Wardancers opted for the Killing Blow dance, and with quite lucky rolls proceeded to score two killing blows on each loremaster! Imagine my dismay when my opponent made all his 4+ ward saves! The war of attrition carried on, and by the end of the game only characters would remain where the once proud white lions stood. The Wildwood rangers were eventually destroyed, too.
Which brings us to the final turn, where once more I go for the Killing Blow dance and manage to score a couple more killing blows, one on each Loremaster....once again, Ljinxphoenix countered my good luck with some of his own, passing all of his ward saves. Finally, the elven characters lost combat but held on a rerollable 8 and the game was done.

HE Victory points: 2120
WE Victory points: 1291

Solid Loss for the Wood Elves!

AFTERMATH:

Well, that was a close game, despite the end result. Ljinxphoenix is a seasoned ETC veteran and a very fun player to play with, and his list was obviously a well thought-out mix of magic, shooting and combat capability.
The double loremasters put me at a very precarious position: with double Searing Dooms the Treemen were as good as dead out of combat. When the lion block finally engaged in combat, the sheer amount of combat buffs meant that I couldn't stop them all (Especially with my level 4 gone) and had me at a disadvantage most of the time.

But in the end, none of it would have mattered if the Loremasters had failed a couple of their ward saves, which would have taken the performance of the Wardancers from great and made it stellar. Nevertheless, 6 Killing Blows in 2 rounds of combat is no mean feat, and for that these guys will always have a place in my lists.

What about the Wildwood Rangers? Well, in this game they met one of their hard counters (Frost Phoenix) that didn't permit them to perform well. Bad placement on my part, there, but mainly bad luck in losing the Ancient when he was most needed and thus leaving me without a solid anchor for my battleline on the left.

I still maintain that 2 units of 17 or so are not a very big investment, but provoke a lot of headaches for opponents. As a plus, they can operate well without general/bsb help since they are Ld9 and ItP.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for keeping you waiting for this report!

Stay tuned for more,

Smith
Last edited by SmithF on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Swordmaster

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) New Wood Elves vs HE

Postby Swordmaster » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:53 pm

Hello Mr. Smith!

It is great to see you posting again. I have tried to observe some of your games (usually just parts of them) and they are as inspiring as always. I even took a liberty and linked your blog to wargamerau in the context of the recent discussion about WE bowline and the fact that many WE armies look the same.

I was obviously curious how your army is going to evolve with the new book. I knew you would prove to be creative and bring "unpopular" choices (seriously, we should start an official club with fraper, wardancer and probably many others :))

Starting from characters. I like the flexibility two spell casters give you. At the same time Treeman Ancient is way more resilient than an elf even if it is prime target for cannons. I have also noticed that you use him aggressively and even use him as a bait/road block to set the trap. It is expensive but on the other hand this is what Hinge mentioned long time ago about his WoC characters or Chosen. People can't resist attacking expensive targets even if they know it is a trap. :)

I like how both magic lores, heavens and life, address some weaknesses of the army. For example, in your game yesterday (spoiler alerts!) you had flesh to stone on Rangers and that proved very useful in stopping depleted Saurus Cavalry bus in its tracks.

On the other hand there is an obvious lack of BSB. I understand that it is due to the fact that your units are ItP. WR, WWR, WD and Dryads as well as Treemen are all ItP and panic is not an issue (or fear/terror for that matter). However, there were a few situations where you were steadfast and broke while that re-roll would have helped. At the same time having so many ItP units means you have to be more careful with positioning as feigned flight is not an option. Could you, time permitting, elaborate more on the impact lack of BSB has on your army (or maybe it does not!).

Core unit selection is very interesting as well. I will omit dryads on purpose because I am actually very happy to see them running around and even if they often die they have a role to play. They may be unsung heroes and have an impact that is easily overlooked too. They are not WR after all that charge in and do spectacular things but having said that I am sure there are epic stories with them as main characters!

I am mainly interested by your comment about GG and the fact that 3 units "force" you to play defensively. I have observed similar thing with my HE that with some more shooting, although great to have, I tend to sit back and wait. That results in some bogged down deployments and small wins if I win at all. Shooting is a very important part of the game and for Elves in particular but I have found out that I don't enjoy the game that much if I am passive. I guess it is similar case here!

Special choices are simply great. WR are ultimate glass cannon. I just can't believe how hitty they are with "just" one more attack than Dragon Princes per model. I believe that what makes the difference can be attributed to a few skills WR posses and DP do not. They are ItP so no silly fear test failure that even with re-rolls can drastically decrease the number of successful attacks. They are fast cavalry so that they can be positioned better and attack from the most dangerous direction. AP is also a great difference! Finally, their mounts are 2S4 attacks each that against some foes adds to the butchers bill too. But they are in the every army so no need to convince anybody about their usefulness!

Wild Wood Rangers are different story. It may not be surprising that I like them a lot as they do remind Swordmasters to an extent. :) I like their rules and while they are even more fragile than any other elite elven infantry they can do damage. I am actually inspired by the fact that you use them in medium size. I would love to have more points to increase the number of Swordmasters too! Need to check the list again!

I wish I witnessed their glorious moments when they managed to destroy some big and scary opponents but hopefully there will be something like that in the future reports.

I have seen wardancers doing great as a small force to stop the enemy in the woods and then counter with hard hitting units. The combination of 3++ and stubborn in the forest makes it a very good option to use and by placing the free woods where you need them you can create such an area. I wonder if their KB is efficient enough and if the opponents are careful with their characters so that you can put some pressure by creating the threat. Any other or even new uses for them with the new army book?

Rare section is also interesting and different. Everybody packs as many waywatchers as they can and it seems they have been secretly training all the time and now there are so many of them everywhere! You have only 5 and I noticed they are often put in places where they die quickly in order to prevent vanguards for example. I am sure many people suggested that you should have exchanged treeman for more waywatchers!

Btw, any chances to have a group photo of the models of your army? Are you going to use a new plastic treemen for example? I am kind of jealous that you are running MSU but you can still have nice center piece models to attract attention :)

As to the game I can only say that HE army looks very small :) But I have noticed that with ETC style forces. Double Loremaster is of course a very interesting concept and I will follow that report with great interest. I will see if I can find time to have a closer look at the deployment and maybe even try to make some predictions!

Just to confirm, the forest at your right flank in front of the Rangers is the free one?

Cheers!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Razon

Postby Razon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:43 am

Really looking forward to your reports Smith!
New WE are out some time now, net lists are flying all over the place, WE are being played one dimensional. To make matters worse, the internet got it very wrong this time.
Players think that S3 shooting, on a T3 no save model, that costs the same as a kitted chaos warrior will win games... Heh.
And ETC makes it much worse by using WE as a blocking- draw army; with very little intention on winning. So players get a bad picture of what WE should do.

You have done it a number of times and I expect you to do it again! By making your battle reports and using that writing style which makes your games (winning) look easy; using 'a bit of everything' tactics and units; players will surely shift towards better, more interesting and more rewarding army lists.

As for your new list it looks quite solid. Ranger are ace, double trees are quite powerful. But dryads? You are only kidding yourself. Eternal guard is so much better in every way it makes me sad; since I own 25 of them and they used to be my pride and joy in my every WE list.
ETC Team Croatia Vampire Counts 2010 & 2014, Skaven 2011, Tomb Kings 2013. Captain for 2013, 2014, 2015.
Member of ETC FAQ.com 2011, AR.com 2012
ETC Team Serbia Orcs&Goblins 2017

Phil Rossiter

Postby Phil Rossiter » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:26 pm

Interesting lists Smith.

I agree that spell selection is important on Life, especially when Earthblood is less use to the Ancient than to a Branchwraith, say.
www.ulthuan.net

Multi-system forum.

Silas7

Postby Silas7 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Please, let us see the report! I want to know how those Wildwood Rangers perform. :)
Chris O'Brien
ETC 2012 - Canada WFB
ETC 2013 - Canada WFB
ETC 2014 - USA WFB (coach)
ETC 2015 - USA WFB
Armies painted: 8 (Brettonians, Daemons of Chaos, Dark Elves, Empire, High Elves, Ogre Kingdoms, Skaven, Tomb Kings)
Armies unpainted: 4 (Lizardmen, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Wood Elves)

Return to “Reports from the Battlefield”