MSU in action! - 9th Age! New Battle Report!

Tales of your glorious victories and bitter defeats

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Gokamok

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Tournament Round 5

Postby Gokamok » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:11 pm

I absolutely love your reports! Several friends of mine have started building their armies towards an MSU approach after I directed them to look at your reports. Pretty please with sugar on top; finish this, so the crowd may be entertained! You're an inspiration to a LOT more warhammer players around the world than you may think =D>

blackbone

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Tournament Round 5

Postby blackbone » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Arghh!! I am dying to see what happens next.

- Blackbone

SmithF
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Tournament COMPLETE!

Postby SmithF » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:20 am

AFTERMATH:

The tournament ended in the best possible way, with a challenging game against a fun opponent. Thierry was not taken aback by the unceremonious loss of his characters early on and kept fighting on, getting a very decent result in the end. (It goes to show that you must never give up!)

With the last win, I managed to achieve my pre-tournament goal, which was to win the majority of my games. I had not lost by much, but didn't get very big wins either. When all was said and done, I got 64/100 battle points with 3 wins, one draw and a loss.

The final results put me in the 5th position, a result with which I was chuffed to bits. Especially when you factor in the fact that I got docked 5 “soft score” points for initially submitting a list with an error. Another interesting part was that we were intially supposed to get bonus “bravery points” based on how well our opponents did in the tournament, but in the end the tournament organizer had an implementation problem and didn't do it. (Which is unfortunate, because four of my opponents got 4th, 5th, 5th (tied) and 10th place respectively)

But all of that is just fine print, because the tournament was great fun, I got to play 5 challenging games against interesting and fun opponents and I met a lot of new people that I'm now looking forward to meeting in one of the next tournaments here in Belgium

I find that the scenarios in 8th edition can be the great equalizer: I got to play against very hard lists without any kind of composition scoring, and thanks to the objectives I never had the impression that all hope was lost. I do prefer some kind of comp to avoid silly lists such as the twin steam tank cavalry bus or the double Kdaii/great taurus chaos dwarven gunline and so on, though.

A few thoughts on the list:

Lords
Like discussed above, the Wardancer Lord is the reason I wanted to play wood elves, and he hhas proven his worth against targets that pose a great problem for the wood elves. In the last game he was my plan B for dealing with the Daemon Prince or the Chaos Lord. The ld10 is also a nice addition, but it is the concentrated killing power that makes him a good buy.

The Spellweaver gave the solution in the last game and pulled some crazy antics on the High Elf Prince in the first game. His build was mostly a fun and quite costly one, but it did work out fine and it meant that he never died during the entire tournament. Having something to do with my power dice was also a very good thing, although it did cut into the movement time. All in all, he is a very useful tool to have in one's arsenal; however, I'm not sure that his 300+ points could not be spent elsewhere with the same or a better effect.
Especially in tournaments, where the time limit is a problem, getting rid of the magic phase might allow you more time to think the movement through and save you from mistakes.

Core
I find that 30 bows in the army is more than enough for softening up units and killing key targets. Any more and it would have detracted from the army playstyle, I feel. The core selection gives a good mix of hard hitting throwaway troops and a small shooting battery. Balanced, and effective.

Special
Here's where the gold in the list lies: The Wild Riders performed admirably and were able to put the pressure on the enemy from turn 1. Granted, they are not 1+ armour save knights. But they hit quite hard and can grind the enemy down fast. With their speed and maneuverability, getting into a flank is never a problem and it is usually a walk in the park from there. The Banner of Swiftness gives them that extra 2” movement that takes them from good to excellent, in my opinion.

The wardancers are such a versatile unit: They do more for you by not fighting than they'll ever do in combat! With good positioning, one can deter the enemy from comitting his characters or his cavalry, for fear of wardancer retaliation. Against the right targets, they can be very deadly despite their small size. The fact that there's usually a Wardancer Highborn hiding in them does help, too.

Treekin: While I hate having such costly units, these proved their worth time and again in the tournament: They held up the enemy hard hitters, killed hydras, saw eye to eye with a Bloodthirster and generally kept the enemy occupied while my softer units did the job. The champion upgrade is 20 points well spent in my opinion.

Rare
Eagle don't really need an introduction, the amount of tricks these can pull off makes them a number one target priority.

Waywatchers have, again, a very important psychological impact on enemy movement and thus are well worth their points. Nabbing that Chaos Lord in the end was only a bonus! :)

So there you have it, the complete tournament report! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed playing the games myself!

Take care,

SmithF

Targ Ironfist

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Tournament COMPLETE!

Postby Targ Ironfist » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi SmithF,

I was already afraid You plan to keep us in the dark until after Easters (at least...).
It sees I can calm down and enjoy grumbling about elgi antics and drink some beer.

So thank You for another interesting Batrep. Thank You for a nice wrap up at the end.

Chaos game:

1/ Killing his DP and "unkillable" lord was a great bonus. Still, I would have said You should have achieved even a better result in such a sterling constellation.
What was the primary reason for not doing so?

2/ I would say Your opponent did leave too many rifts for Your nifty sneaky elgi to exploit, didn´t he?

Thank You once more, this was realy great fun, makes me want to start wood elgi myself. :lol:
Wont happen because:
1/ They have no beards
2/ They drink no beer
3/ What are they for wood elgi when their WILD RIDER noble can fall of a horse in a patch of a difficult terrain? :mrgreen: It´s like a dawi thane tripping over in his mine workings! #-o

With regards

Joey_Boy
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Joey_Boy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 am

Love the last game Smith! It has all the things I enjoy when playing my Wood Elves, the only thing you need to add is a pair of branchwraiths and the moonstone and you have all the fun tools. Imagine if you are casting Savage Beast on a Branchwraith and then using him to divert the Skullcrushers, 65p well spent. And Moonstone is just great fun to play with and will add another batch of possible tactics and jedi mind tricks.

Just a quick question, the WR Noble missed a DT test on something other then a forest I hope. Seeing as he has 'forest strider' even when mounted.
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Come on over and discuss the MSU fun time with us!
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22678

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:25 am

Hello Mr. Smith!

Thank you very much for the great series of reports! And congratulations on the very good placing! Considering the fact that you played in a non-comped environment and against very tough armies. The main thing, however, is that you had a great experience and it looks like you will try to attend real life tournaments too! well done! =D>

Your reports are very inspirational on many levels. You bring troops and characters that many people would not consider worthy even a place on the shelve and you make them work. It just shows that when you know what to do everything can work. It does not have to be the perfect solution or the thing that kills everything the enemy has but it does work.

You brought the army a lot of people consider too old to compete in 8th edition but despite the obvious fact it was not designed for this set of rules you show it can still be dangerous. What is more it is not some boring 100+ bows line but the army that has different tools. Seeing it moving around the battlefield and performing various types of tricks is just awesome. I would love to see it in action live. Who knows, maybe one day :) Or at least on UB, from the beginning till the end of the game.

The last game was fantastic. I thought you are in big trouble as such WoC army is a bane of MSU force. All these impact hits, high armor and toughness, unkillable lords etc. But fortune favors the bold and while you did use some avoidance tactics I like to believe it was a good game for your opponent too. A lot of things happened. I said it before and I say it again. Your games are the ones that it is worthy coming back to and read them again as there is always something new to learn from them. I only wish I could see more from the pictures. And I don't mean the quality as it is good enough. I simply found out I can better see the opportunities on the map made in BC or in UB than on the picture. Probably nothing surprising but something I need to learn better :)

I am very curious if you are going to change anything in the army list (not that it is necessary). I liked the addition of the wizard as it is always fun to have some spells to cast. Sure, it takes away some time from the game. But I have learned it is still possible to play full 6 turns in 2.5 hours (even with scenarios!). It just takes practice. I also think you are used to more relaxed way of playing games on UB where you also engage in discussions with peanuts gallery :)

If you decide to come back to no-wizard army it will also be very interesting to see how you are going to perform against different armies. I am sure you will break another unwritten internet rule that you cannot win without wizard lord!

Thanks again and again, well done! =D>
Blog: Path of an Outcast

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Battle Log with shortcuts to Battle Reports: HE MSU
Article on HE MSU: HE MSU - Observations
Rate my Battle Reports at: Sigmar's Fantasy Battles

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?

wardancer

Postby wardancer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:57 pm

wow! I really didn't expect you to win that one, although I was already sure you will give your opponent run for his money. congratulations, you are an inspiration as always and it was a pleasure to read your reports that just prove different armies can still be competitive.. and that is in uncomped environment, which was even better!

Tamodan

Postby Tamodan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:02 pm

Really nice, as usual ;) Will we be seeing you at Conflict, in Aarschot? I brought Vampires instead of Wood Elves, so I hope at least one set of treehuggers will be present :)
Team Belgium ETC 2014 Dark Elves (ShadeStar, 79/120)
Team Belgium ETC 2015 Skaven (BellStar, 77/120)
Team Belgium ETC 2016 Saurian Ancients (no star, 66/120)
Team Belgium ETC 2017 Highborn Elves (no star either, and if the trend continues either 5,5/120 or 46/120)

Herminard

Postby Herminard » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:03 pm

Kudos, Smithy, Kudos.

-H-

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Hello one and all,

Now that the summer period is over, I felt once again the Call of the hobby. A couple of big tournaments are being organized in my region and, time permitting, I'll be attending. But before that, some long-awaited answers to the questions above:

@Targ: In the last game against the chaos warriors, keeping the skullcrushers under control was a pain. I got a bit careless when I dropped both the enemy Lords (and gained 1300 points in one stroke) and sacrificed a couple units with no good reson, lost my Wild Rider Noble to difficult terrain and the Treekin bounced off the small skullcrushers' flank. Finally, the WilD riders failed their Ld9 march test when they shouldn't have. All this meant that I gave up more than 800 points for no reason. Hence the 12-8 despite the good start. I can't complain, though.

@ Tamodan: The Belgian Open (maybe) and Dice Day (certainly) will be my next two tournaments. Looking forward to seeing you there.

@ Swordmaster/ Wardancer: Thanks for the kind words, guys! It was certainy fun, playing with real miniatures for a change. As for the no-mage experience, it has been put on hold for the following reason...

CURSE YOU, GW, for the Killing Blow FAQ!

There, half my list invalidated by a single FAQ query, one that had been previously eprfectly answered and needed absolutely no change. I'm referring to the ruling that characters riding atop monstrous beasts can no longer be killing blowed, unless said blow is of the Heroic variety. There it goes, wardancers and waywatchers can no longer threaten Pegasus Riders, Eagle Riders, Exalted Heroes/Heralds on daemonic steeds. I'd have to rethink my strategies now, but it's certain that the list got hit quite hard.

Heroes on fast monstrous beasts can make a mess of my small units, and with the amount of 1+ save out there, shooting them or beating them in regular combat is very difficult.

Thank you, GW, for putting yet another nail on the Wood Elf coffin (and removing an interesting tactical aspect of the game).

/Rant over

When the above hit, I took a look at my list and decided that some things no longer had the same value:

1. Wardancer Lord: I cannot make a T3 model with a 4+ save work if all it takes to kill it is a 100 point pegasus hero charging in into his immune to psychology bunker. Monstrous cav was already bad, but this is too much.

2. Wild Rider Noble: Again, his "raison-d'être" is no longer; characters don't fear this guy one bit, unless they are on a horse/on foot, in which case they are inside a big unit that also surely contains a champion.

3. Wardancers: With the new High Elf book, these have become the top anti-White Lion/Swordmaster unit, but again all it takes is a charge from a monstrous thingy to run them down.

4. Waywatchers: While not entirely useless, I wonder whether their points are not better spent elsewhere; threatening lone characters is fun, as is taking out enemy warmachines. But now it has become more difficult and their targets ever less numerous.

The biggest problem comes from the fact that each new book adds even more big monsters and monstrous cavalry, things that can take out my small units in no time and have a bigger threat range than most of my combat units.
Here's the list that I've come up with and that I've used for the past few games to good effect:

WOOD ELVES 2500
LORDS:

Treeman Ancient, Annoyance of Netlings
Spellweaver, lvl4, dispel scroll

HEROES:

Noble BSB, Eagle, LA, Stone of Crystal Mere, Dragonhelm, Warrior Bane, Potion of Foolhardines

CORE:

8 Dryads
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
10 Glade Guard, musician
10 Glade Guard, musician
10 Glade Guard, Standard, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame

SPECIAL

6 Wardancers, musician
4 Treekin, champion
7 Wild Riders, Standard, Musician, Banner of Swiftness

RARE:
Treeman
Great Eagle
Great Eagle

It is a gamble, adding two Treemen when the meta-game pushes people more and more towards the lore of Metal. What I've noticed so far is that with the scroll and assassination moves from my fast units, I'm able to keep the treemen safe from enemy magic and warmachines. There's always some kind of terrain to hide behind (fence/hill/house, you name it), making sniping the treemen with cannons more difficult.

The list is a bit more "cookie-cutter" in that it includes magic, a BSB on eagle, Treemen and forgoes a good part of the fun choices I had been using before. I'll have to try different things out, the Wardancer Lord with wizarding hat is still not off the table :)

So, a couple of words on the list's tactics:

The things I'll have to deal with when facing the newest army books are High-toughness, high-save Monstrous Cavalry/Beasts (Skullcrushers, Beasts of Nurgle, Mournfangs, Demigriffs, Fishmen manta rays, you name it), Big Flying Beasties (Phoenix, Chimera and so on) and Waramachines that become more and more imbalanced.

The addition of the two treemen gives me an instrument to deal with the first two threats, and makes it imperative to deal fast with the Warmachines. Thankfully, wood elves have been blessed in the warmachine hunting department.

There are two ways of dealing with warmachines, in my book:
1. Charge it with something fast (Eagles, Wild Riders, BSB all fit in this category). This is not always possible, especially when the opponent has castled.
2. Throw enough stuff at it, something will stick. The glade guard have sufficient range to be a threat against warmachines early on. Frankly, given the propensity of good saves and high toughness, I feel that these first turn s3 shots are better spent trying to score some 6's on to wound and killing warmachines.
But the perfect tool for this role is Flock of Doom. At 9+ to cast for the boosted version, it has dropped Caskets of Souls, Dwarf Cannons, Ironblasters and so on for me, never failing to perform. The 48" range is perfect for staying away from the enemy warmachine threat range (in the case of hellblasters/organ guns).

Once warmachines are dealt with (or at least occupied), the treemen can come out and play. I'm surprised by their resilience and hard-hittiness. A personal favorite is taking advantage of the fact that the Treeman Ancient is a character in order to cast Savage Beast of Horros on him. S9 Thunderstomp and 8 s9 attacks can make a mess of most units!

That said, there are still quite a few hard counters to the treemen, namely the big spells: Searing Doom, Purple Sun, Pit of Shades... I'll have to playtest against hard opponents and see if I can get away with using 2 potential points sinks...

Tactics discussion and battle report(s) to come in the following days!
Stay tuned ;)

Smith
Last edited by SmithF on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swordmaster

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) New horizons!

Postby Swordmaster » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:28 pm

Hello Mr. Smith!

Good to see you back! And even better to find out that no matter what you are going to play WE too. :)

Looking forward to the report(s), especially that our last game vs. wardancer was sucked into the "warp". :evil:

Cheers!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?

SmithF

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) VS Vampires!

Postby SmithF » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:59 pm

Wood Elves vs Vampire Counts

This game was against Jacopo, an italian fellow who has been able to get his hands on an undead orc army by Titan Forge, beautiful models (and multi-purpose, too). So he is playtesting his vampires, with restrictions based on the models he actually has available.

We played Battleline, at 2500 points. I used the list above, and below you can see Jack's list.

Vampire Counts 2500

LORDS:
Vampire Lord, Lvl4 lore of Vampires, Great Weapon, HA, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Other Trickster's shard, Earthing Rod, Red Fury, Aura of Dark Majesty, Summon Creatures of the Night

HEROES:
Vampire BSB, Lvl1 lore of Vampires, Dispel Scroll
Necromancer, lvl2, Lore of Death, Book of Arkhan
Necromancer, lvl2, Lore of Death, Scroll of Shielding, Obsidian Trinket
Banshee
Banshee

CORE:
40 Skeletons, Hand Weapon and Shield, Full Command, Banner of the Eternal Flame
5 Dire Wolves, Champion
5 Dire Wolves, Champion
5 Dire Wolves, Champion
20 Zombies, Musician, Standard

SPECIAL:
8 Crypt Horrors, Champion
8 Crypt Horrors, Champion
2 Fell Bats
2 Fell Bats
Spirit Host
Spirit Host

So overall, a list with a lot of redirectors and throwaway units, very aggressive in the magic phase and with most of the points safely tucked away inside the skeleton block. The Crypt Horrors are surprisingly cheap for their resilience, and I was thankful that my opponent's list didn't include a Mortis Engine as well!

Spells:
Beastweaver: Wildform, Flock of Doom, Amber Spear, Savage Beast of Horros
Vampire Lord: Invocation, Vanhel's, Raise Dead, Gaze of Nagash
Necromancer no1: Spirit Leech, Caress of Laniph
Necromancer no2: Spirit Leech, Purple Sun
Vampire BSB: Invocation

As a rule of thumb, when playing against vampire counts I make it a top priority to dispel the Vanhel's Danse casting, since the army becomes a lot more difficult to manage when if moves 16”+ during its first turn. However, my opponent also got the Purple Sun, a spell that can net a lot of points by targetting the Treemen/Treekin.

With the above on my mind, I went into deployment with the intention of deploying with two strong flanks and a weaker but maneuverable centre. This way, I'd force my opponent to divide his attention and commit his big block on one of the two flanks. The force on the other flank would easily overcome the undead troops (they are quite weak without the help of their masters) and hopefully be there on time to lend a helping hand to the rest of my army towards the end of the battle.

Here's how deployment went down: both Treemen and the treekin outside the range of a first turn purple sun/spirit leech that might rob me of one of my units early on. Also note the positioning of the lvl4, near the table edge for the same reason (24” Range for spirit leech + 8” move of vampire bunker).

For the first time in history, the elves actually got the +1 to go first and claimed the initiative.

TURN 1 – Wood Elves

Seeing as I had the ranged advantage, I moved up in the flanks, holding my ground at the centre. In the magic phase a Flock of Doom put a wound on a spirit host, while the shooting focused on weakening the dire wolves to the left and flanking zombies to the right. The flaming arrows from the middle unit put a wound on the crypt horrors.

TURN 1 – Vampire Counts

This turn's only charge came from the rightmost zombies, who failed a charge against the Glade Guard inside the house, getting a couple of stand and shoot casualties in the bargain. The vampire host moved forwards en masse centrally, with wolves trying to stall my Wild Riders on the left flank.

In the magic phase I let a small Vanhel's Danse off, which propelled the right Crypt Horrors towards my lines. The subsequent Gaze of Nagash on the middle archers was dispelled.

TURN 2 – Wood Elves

Resisting my urge to charge, I just took the bait with the Wild Riders, charging the wolves. Against undead, the faster one deals with the redirectors, the more time he will have to set up potentially devastating charges vs the big blocks later on.
Faithful to the plan, the Treekin finished their detour and set up for a turn 3 charge against the Crypt Horrors. The Treeman nearby moved up to block their movement and force a charge against him next turn. The centre held relatively still, with Dryads also preparing for a flank charge on same horrors.
In the magic phase I managed to cast a big Amber Spear on the left Crypt Horrors, dropping one and wounding another for 2 wounds. The combined shooting efforts of the flaming archers, the treeman (Strangleroot) and the Glade Guard inside the house amounted for a total of 7 wounds on the right Horrors, weakening them significantly.

The wolves were swiftly dealt with in the Wild rider combat, and the latter reformed to receive next turn's zombie charge.

TURN 2 – Vampire Counts

Last turn's maneuvering had left the right Crypt Horrors encircled, so they charged into the Treeman in front of them. The Zombies to the left failed their charge against the Wild Riders. The main vampire force advanced, with the left Crypt horrors angling to face the Treeman Ancient.
In the magic phase a low roll saw the vampires only get 4 dice against my 3 (2 and a channel, no less). The Dispel Scroll was duly spent to dispel the vanhel's danse on the Crypt Horrors already in combat, and the remaining dice managed to disperse the Invocation of Nehek.

A pillow fight ensued in the combat phase, the Horrors and Treeman failing to wound each other
and the big lug Stubbornly holding his ground on an 8.

TURN 3 – Wood Elves

A combination of luck and maneuvering led to one of these moments where you have a good idea for a charge for each and every one of your units, and all relies on charge dice to see you through. A SmithPic (TM) will probably explain better:

So the BSB into the spirit host, the ancient Treeman into the left horrors with the flanking assistance of the Wild Riders, leftmost dryads into the flank of zombies. Treekin, rightmost dryads and Flaming Glade Guard flank rightmost Horrors from both sides. The only let down was the failed charge from the middle dryads into the topmost spirit host, which would have enabled an overrun into the skeleton bunker.

In the magic phase the Vampire BSB used his scroll do dispel the Wildform on the Flanking wild riders. Shooting was equally uneventful, dropping just a dog and a couple of zombies.

In the combat phase things were far more interesting. The charging glade guard managed to get a wound through the right Horrors' hide, cancelling regeneration. The dryads, treekin and Treeman went to town on them, and, when the smoke had cleared, the undead unit was no more.
To the left the Crypt horrors fared better, putting 2 wounds on the Treeman Ancient for another wound back.

The BSB made short work of the spirit host and overran into the fell bats behind the skeleton bunker. Finally, the dryads flanking the zombies killed 6, causing the unit to crumble for another 6 casualties.

TURN 3 – Vampire Counts

No charges were declared from the Vampires this turn, the skeleton block reforming to face the victorious right flank. The banshees broke formation and advanced towards the left crypt horror combat, ready to scream at the Ancient. The rest of the moves consisted in delaying tactics against the treeman/treekin to the right.

In the magic phase Jack got a high roll, giving him 10 dice to my 6. The Necromancer tried to conjure a Purple Sun against my treeman and treekin (which would have no doubt drawn all my dice) but failed after rolling an array of 1's and 2's! This left me with more dispel dice than Jack had power, and I easily managed to dispel the Invocation of Nehek and the Attempt at Spirit Leech vs my Treeman.

The Vampires' bad fortune continued in the shooting phase, where the two banshees failed to cause any wounds on the (Ld9) Wild Riders.

To top things off, the treeman ancient and Wild Riders managed a whopping 7 wounds on their adversaries for a single casualty on the WR back. With the bonus from flank and banner, only one Crypt Horror was left standing. The BSB dealt with the Bats and turned to face the banshees, now out in the open and unprotected.

At this point, my opponent conceded the game.

Victory to the Wood Elves!

AFTERMATH:

Well, it turns out the plan was a good one, and dice certainly helped in its execution (and in receiving minimal casualties back). With all the big point sinks in the army, I find myself playing more defensively, and having to devise plans to protect and get my treemen to combat safely. It also becomes a game of getting the right matchup, since there are still units that can one-off a Treeman.

In the post-game discussion, I pointed out that the Vampire Bunker should have been deployed on the 12” mark and sent straight for my juicy units. With flaming and a GW vampire with Red Fury, it would have made short work of my treekin and treeman. That said, an early charge from some dryads could have also easily scored some points for me in the form of the banshees and the Necromancers.

As it were, a Purple Sun towards the closing turns of the game could have still netted Jacopo many points, but the Wood Elves' position where we left the battle was clearly a superior one.

So, there you go! Not exactly the first outing of the double Treeman list (I've had some battles before, all good fun and with good results for the woodies), but the first during which I remembered to take pics.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new army, as well as how you feel it would fare against tough tournament opposition. I've signed my Woodies up for the Belgian Open, the biggest tournament in the Benelux region, so I'm going to need all the input I can get!

Smith

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:33 am

Hi SmithF,

Thanks a lot for a report! I hope it will be the one that is going to start a regular streak of the future reports. :)

It was a tough and resilient army you faced. It has a potential to soak a lot of wounds and quickly restore them too. Two quite big units of Crypt Horrors in particular were scary. Especially with so many spell casters in the army.

It is always interesting to see a game with armies which play in a very different way. Fast WE against undead that prefer a tight, solid formation. I think a typical MSU advantage of having a lot of units helped here a little. You could anticipate where main blocks are going to be and then reinforce flanks according to your own plan.

In this game you showed one thing that I missed the most when you stopped reporting for quite a long time. These fantastic multiple charges and the way you set them up. In particular, the addition of glade guard with flaming banner was ace! Excellent use of the fact they strike at higher initiative to inflict flaming wound so that hard hitters could do their job. If there is ever going to be a Warhammer academy this should be shown as a text book example =D>

I wonder if your enemy could still continue with the fight. He was badly surrounded but from my experience I know that it is not that easy to deliver a killing blow to VC army when all the characters are still there.

As to tournament experience and tips to help you out it will depend a little on the event format. And even then I can only promise I will look through your preparation games in the search of more options rather than advising on particular army list. Somehow I have a feeling that the more tournaments I attend the more I have to learn :)

Cheers!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Bugman

Postby Bugman » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:55 pm

How I miss your battle reports!

Question, because my brain has stopped

Turn 3, WE turn you have a multi charge into the horrors, how can you get two units into such a small flank? Surely the first, maximising models causes technically a slide to occur thus blocking your next unit?

Sorry for the rookie question!
Bugman
http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The largest most informative Dwarf website in the old world, covering every dwarfers needs from forum to tactics, gallery and the infamous warhammer armies: Diaries!!!!
Feedback Thread

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:04 am

Hi Bugman,

In that case you maximize both, not one after another. When I am back home I will try to find a page number in RB that refers to that situation.

Cheers!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Arash

Postby Arash » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:14 am

Just a question.

You mentioned that the elves got a wound through on the crypt horrors, which allowed the dryads, treekin, and treeman to go to town on them.

Don't think it would have made much difference, but Dryads are I6, whereas Elves are I5. So, the dryads would have gone before.
در زندگی زخمهايی هست که مثل خوره در انزوا روح را آهسته در انزوا می خورد
و میتراشد

صادق هدايت

mikkjel wrote: dude, its the difference between something stuck in your mouth and something stuck in your throat

Bugman

Postby Bugman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Swordmaster wrote:Hi Bugman,

In that case you maximize both, not one after another. When I am back home I will try to find a page number in RB that refers to that situation.

Cheers!

Page 23 I guess is what your referring to where multiple charging units must maximise models from both units. Handy, I never knew, number of times I've been told I can't charge both in as 2nd unit wouldn't get models into combat, now I know they must share the combat lol

Bugman
http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The largest most informative Dwarf website in the old world, covering every dwarfers needs from forum to tactics, gallery and the infamous warhammer armies: Diaries!!!!
Feedback Thread

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:10 pm

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies, it's been quite a long time :)

Arash wrote:Just a question.

You mentioned that the elves got a wound through on the crypt horrors, which allowed the dryads, treekin, and treeman to go to town on them.

Don't think it would have made much difference, but Dryads are I6, whereas Elves are I5. So, the dryads would have gone before.

You're right, call it poetic license! The dryads did indeed strike first, managing 3 wounds after Regen Saves, then the glade guard stripped the Horrors from their Regen save. It was the Treekins' attacks that made the difference, hitting on 3+ is great with these guys.

@ Swordmaster: I urged Jack to carry on with the fight. With a block with flaming banner and a vampire with 4+ ward and a great weapon (not to mention red fury), it was far from over.

The idea for the next turns was to use the BSB to crumble both banshees (no photo available, but there was a very clear overrun path from one to the other), crumble the remaining horror and then spread out to minimize Purple Sun damage. The dryads would attempt an assassination of the Necromancers (to get some points and, mainly, limit the magic phase damage potential) and the unit champion. Then, in the final turns a combo charge could potentially net me the whole bunker, especially with both treemen and the Treekin in the mix (and, of course, a challenge from the Annoyance of Netlings treeman vs the Vampire Lord).

In any case, not a 100% lost cause for the vampires. Death magic and Red Fury have a way of messing with the best laid plans of mice and men.

@ Bugman: Just like Swordie explained, when you declare multiple charges on a unit, you have to resolve them in such a way so as to divide frontage where applicable. This also meant that the flank crypt horrors could both hit the squishy elves instead of the tougher dryads!

More to come during the week!

SmithF

MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Dwarf MSU Guest Report!

Postby SmithF » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:40 pm

Dwarves MSU vs High Elves (pkng)

Some of you might remember my musings a while back, about how every army can play MSU with relative success. Dwarves have been featured before in a battle report, and, tired of facing HE with my Wood Elves (elf vs elf matches are interesting only the first 10 consecutive times :) ) I proposed facing pkng's High Elves with my Dwarves.

The composition ruleset for this game was ETC, hence the 2400 point limit (2700 points of Wood Elves also sounds cool, by the way).

THE LISTS:

Dwarven overground defense – 2400
HEROES:
Runelord with Anvil of Doom, Rune of Stone, Shield, Rune of the Furnace, Spelleater Rune
Thane BSB, Rune of Strollaz
Dragon Slayer, rune of burning
Dragon Slayer

CORE:
20 Dwarf Warriors, Great Weapons, Standard, Musician
19 Dwarf Warriors, Great Weapons, Standard, Musician
18 Rangers, Great Weapons, Standard, Musician

SPECIAL:
15 Miners, Standard, Musician
15 Miners, Standard, Musician
10 Hammerers, Musician
10 Hammerers, Musician
10 Hammerers, Musician
10 Troll Slayers
10 Troll Slayers
Cannon
Cannon

PKNG's High Elves 2400
HEROES:
Archmage, lore of High Magic, lvl4, Book of Hoeth, Golden Crown of Atrazar
Noble, BSB, Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength

CORE:
30 Archers, Standard, Musician
5 Ellyrian Reavers, Bows, Musician
5 Ellyrian Reavers, Bows, Musician
5 Silver Helms, Shields, Musician

SPECIAL:
25 White Lions, Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon

25 Phoenix Guard, Full Command, Razor Standard

RARE:
4 RBT
Frostheart Phoenix
Great Eagle

Pkng's list featured an interesting mix of popular choices (World Dragon Lions, standard core, 4 RBT, Book of Hoeth Archmage, Frostheart Phoenix) along with some fluffier choices, namely the phoenix guard and the shooty noble BSB.
Facing a bowline with a bunch of great-weapon totting dwarves is not an easy task, especially when said line is guarded by very solid combat troops striking before my multiple small units!

SPELLS:
Archmage: Soul Quench, Apotheosis, Hand of Glory, Walk Between Worlds

The plan:
Rush the bowline, stall the lions, avoid the Frostheart if possible. Walk Between Worlds is a must dispel and a good target for the Spelleater rune. Cannons to provide counter-battery fire and keep the phoenix honest.

Deployment:
In the deployment I chose to forgo placing my warmachines second, in order to win some time and see where the white lions were going. That meant that my opponent cleverly protected his warmachines from mass cannon fire, but also that the white lions found themselves a bit isolated to the far left of the field.

key (HE L-R): Silver Helms, White Lions, Phoenix Guard with Archmage, Archers with BSB, Reavers x2, rest is obvious)
Key (Dwarves L-R): Slayers, Hammerers, GW Warriors, Hammerers, Slayers, GW Warriors with BSB, Rangers scouting, Slayers. In the backfield to the right, Anvil of Doom and 2 slayer characters)

With a big impassable piece of terrain protecting my battleline's flank, I used the Strollaz Rune to advance, pushing the Rangers right in front of the HE archers and in place to attack and assassinate the enemy BSB on turn 2. The reavers vanguarded, and I resigned to the fact that they were going to be a pain in the behind.

The dwarves won the roll to go first!

TURN 1 – Dwarves

The fact that the Rangers had scouted meant that, despite their juicy positioning, they couldn't charge this turn. So the entire battleline moved forward, with just the leftmost slayers and hammerers holding their ground. The Rangers took cover under the hill, making sure that only one RBT could hit them without penalties the next turn. The Dragon Slayers, against that much HE shooting, preferred to stay on anvil guard duty.

In the shooting phase one cannon managed to kill one RBT, the other falling short of its target.
The BSB's retinue had advanced this turn and I saw the opportunity to charge the HE reavers, getting in a great position for a supporting charge against the archers next turn. The positioning was such that the reavers needed a 7+ roll to bounce through the RBT behind them, causing panic and fleeing off the table. The Anvil successfully propelled them forward, but my opponend rolled a 6 and the reavers stayed on board.

TURN 1 – High Elves
The High Elf archers charged downhill into the Rangers , following their Noble commanding officer. The White lions trundled into the lake, while the Archmage's PG retinue angled to help out the archers if need be. The Ellyrian reavers rallied and all cavalry units maneuvered wide and far away from dwarven threats. Finally, the Great Eagle blocked the path of the slayers to prevent a countercharge into the Archers.

In the magic phase an attempt to cast Soul Quench on the BSB's Warriors was dispelled, and a high casting of the Walk Between Worlds on the Silverhelms drew my Spelleater scroll. As a plus, I rolled 4+ and the Archmage forgot the spell altogether!

Shooting didn't go much better for the Elves, two Bolt Throwers focused fire on the left cannon and managed 2 wounds, while the third dropped a single Hammerer from the rightmost unit.

Combat saw the Rangers kill 5 archers for 3 casualties back, and then passing their break test to hold their ground. A couple of combat reforms took place. (see pic)

TURN 2 – Dwarves

The slayers took the Eagle bait, while the Hammerers to the right attempted a long (9+) charge into the Archers' flank and failed. The rest of the dwarven infantry maneuvered to create no-go zones for the elven cavalry. Both miner units showed up this turn, one emerging right behind the hill and the other to the left, behind the white lions and ready to take out the RBT. Finally, the Warriors with BSB maneuvered into position for an anvil flank charge into the engaged archers.

In the shooting phase the left cannon misfired and blew up and the right one fell short of its target (RBT to the right). The anvil yet again succeded in moving the Warriors, and they fell into the Archers.

The combat that followed was bloody: The elven BSB, bolstered by his Potion of Strength, issued a challenge. The Thane performed a tactical withdrawal (The shame!) and let his warriors and Rangers fight. The resulting 8 kills ensured that the Archers were routed and ran down, along with the elven Noble.
Finally, the slayers took out the Great Eagle and overran.

TURN 2 – High Elves

The Elves replied by charging the victorious rangers with the Phoenix Guard; these had to hold, or risk a double charge from the Phoenix and the PG into the BSB's bunker. The phoenix flank charged the BSB's Warriors, who held. The White lions and silver helms double backed to deal with the enemy behind the lines.

Magic saw an irresistible casting of Hand of Glory on the Phoenix guard, augmenting their Weaponskill by 1. The spell was subsequently forgotten, leaving the Archmage with Soul Quench and Apotheosis.

Shooting was focused on the central miners, dropping 8 of them but not succeeding in panicking them.

In combat the Phoenix guard did a number on the Rangers, leaving 3 alive to flee and be cut down by their pursuers. They did suffer a couple of casualties back, so there's that. The Frostheart hit and stomped the Warriors, resulting in 6 kills for no wounds back; the Dawi held their ground and reformed to present their front to the beast.

TURN 3 – Dwarves

Looking at the table, I decided that I'd have to let the BSB's unit take a beating for yet another turn, and it became clear that the miners to the left were doomed, what with the White Lions and SilverHelms bearing down on them.
The Warriors to the right spotted the flank of the Phoenix Guard and crushed into it; the depleted miners charged into the RBT right behind said phoenix guard, ready to overrun into the other flank. The left Miners charged into the RBT in an attempt to make some points back, and the slayers and hammerers to the right combo-charged the blocking ellyrian reavers.

In the shooting phase the second cannon also misfired while trying to snipe the last RBT, blowing up! The Anvil propelled a Dragon slayer into the flank of the topmost Reaver unit. The latter fled, but got cut down.

Combat started with the left miners making short work of the bolt thrower. Their mates in the middle fumbled and couldn't wound the warmachine once. Adding insult to the injury, the crew held on the general's Ld. No double flank charge into the mage bunker, then.

It turned out that it didn't matter, since the flanking warriors only suffered a couple of casualties and did one themselves, stripping the PG of their Steadfastness and making them flee. They fled to relative safety with the warriors close behind and in combat with the RBT their miner comrades. The Ellyrian reavers died a horrible death at the hands of the slayers/Hammerers.
Finally, the Phoenix rolled abysmally to hit and to Thunderstomp, meaning that only 2 dwarves died and it was beaten in combat resolution by 1. It then failed its Break test and ran 3”, getting ran down...by dwarves!

After this turn of events, my opponent decided to call the game. The White Lions and Silver helms would get the miners and nothing more, while the phoenix guard found themselves surrounded by dwarves and without any support.

VICTORY TO THE DWARVES!

AFTERMATH:

In the after battle discussion it became apparent that the elven deployment played a big role in how the game went: The white lions found themselves isolated to the left flank, with a big piece of impassable terrain blocking their path to the relatively soft dwarven centre. If they advanced, they'd have to face unbreakable and stubborn troops worth a lot less than their own cost.

The fact that the High Elves were spread out meant that I could choose to focus on certain parts of the battleline and take them apart.
Having 150 dwarves rushing in from all directions does help, admittedly!

In terms of maneuvering I'm very pleased with the role of the Rangers, they drew the attention away from the battleline and kept the archers occupied long enough for the Warriors to come to the recue.

A point of interest is how to defend with such a list against large flying monsters: I have found that advancing the army in two waves works wonders, making it impossible for flyers to land behind your lines without risking a rear charge.

So there you have it: Combat Dwarves, rushing through the fields of battle. It works, tell your friends! :P

Regards,

Smith

frapermax

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Dwarf MSU Guest Report!

Postby frapermax » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:29 am

Great report!
One question: if you would have fled with bsb's unit from phoenix's charge, would he be able to complete? I'm asking this, because they would have run down the hill, and no longer be visible to the phoenix. Or was holding it the plan right from the word go?

greets

fpm

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Hey frapermax!

Good question, I think that since the charge requirement of Line of Sight is fulfilled when the phoenix declares the charge, he can then complete it even if the dwarves are under the hill after the flee move.

A better solution would have been not to pursue with the rangers, creating a path of units and impassable terrain through which to bounce to safety. But I was confident that they'd hold long enough for slayers or Hammerers to flank the phoenix.

MillerXL

Postby MillerXL » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:41 pm

High Elves are so boring.

They've been netlisted to death. Time to bury the army.

BotWD Deathstar (Lions or Helms); Archmage with book; BSB; Bolt Throwers; Frost Phoenixes; 1 other unit of elite infantry (either more lions or PG); + chaff.

Boring. Not even worth a play. They're all the same.

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:31 pm

You know very well that I don't disagree with you, Mr Miller.

I'd also add that such lists promote sloppy play, since you've got an immovable object in the form of the BoWD unit, plus a very efficient points denial instrument in the form of the SH bus. But, that's what Warhammer 8th edition has become.

I just believe that there's ways to beat such lists, with a bit of luck and careful planning.
The game would have been more enjoyable if my adversary had opted for some of the least used options, in the same way as it would have been more boring if I had brought a 5-warmachine dwarf list :)

Smith

Targ Ironfist

Postby Targ Ironfist » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi SmithF,

I love Your axes reports. As You might be aware You were the one, who was a final factor in my going on the axe path. A hard one, that takes a lot of work to manage, but a funny one for sure.

Basicly all was said and done. Your enemy was sloppy and played relatively poorly. A bit of luck on Your side made it even more obvious.

Congratulation to You and thank You very much for posting the report here! =D>

With regards

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:24 am

Hi SmithF,

I hope it is not too late to add some comments to your most recent battle report.

First of all, congratulations on the win! And thanks a lot for showing (yet again) that it is really worthy to pursuit new solutions. Even with the armies that have a reputation of being not-playable apart from one and only way. Well done! =D> I hope it will be very inspiring for many players to read that report.

Your army list is still quite intriguing. I have faced MSU Dwarves before and I got smashed once very badly (not counting games against Targ, I was smashed every time then :-P) but that force still had some crossbows and grudge throwers and even longbeard rangers with throwing axes! You have almost non existing shooting, no gyrocopters either. Could you elaborate a little on why did you decide not to include any small arms shooting in that army?

Another question is about Hammerers. I like stubborn troops a lot but 10 strong and with great weapons is not that ..hm ... great. What do you think about 2 x 15 instead?

As to HE army I would not call BSB and/or PG as fluffy choices. They are quite standard now in many armies. PG in combination with high magic in particular is quite often present in Asur armies.

I was very curious about the outcome of that battle. There are a lot of usual suspects in it. Many HE players see Mr. Frosty as an answer to almost any trouble, for example. And I disagree with MillerXL that it is boring to face the army that seem to be the most popular. I actually find it quite challenging to try and beat the force that is perceived as the best choice. It might have a good side effect too. If you can beat that with an unorthodox force you can inspire people to start using different choices and show them that what is perceived as the best solution might not be like that at all.

It seems that there is a little inaccuracy in the deployment description. You have mentioned Slayers 3 times, while probably you swapped them with hammerers on both flanks.

I also wonder why pk-ng didn't deploy PG and WL a little closer to the hill so that he could still be in BSB range and would avoid the pond. That would keep his army tight and didn't limit his movement.

I have a feeling pk-ng either underestimated your speed or simply didn't expect Dwarves to be able to move so close to the enemy in turn 1. It was not guaranteed but not that unlikely that you are going to get first turn. A combination of strollaz+having turn 1+anvil meant that you could cover up to 18" with some units and potentially up to 33" (12" strollaz, 6" marching and 3" + 2 x d6", I hope I calculated correctly :)) when charging! That might surprise many players, expecting Dwarves sitting in one corner, instead of taking the fight to the enemy.

I think pk-ng made a mistake in blocking slayers with the eagle. Looking at the picture it seems unlikely that they would attack archers. Even so, archers would have better chances at killing them than rangers due to lack of armour. Maybe he was concerned with BSB being attacked? In that case I would move reavers to prevent warriors from turning and charging the archers. That would give time for PG to counter.

I am wondering why PG decided not to reform PG after winning combat so that no flank charge would be possible. I guess he risked that warriors are not going to make that long charge and he would have been able to attack another warriors fighting against Frostheart.

I still think it was premature to throw a towel. Yes, his army didn't have a cohesive battle line. But he would have cleared the rear even if losing repeaters. PG had a good chance to rally anyway. And facing any other Dwarven units they would be able to fight back. Also, with lions on the flank and many Dwarven units too far to offer assistance (maybe with anvil it was still possible for some) I think Elves would have been able to put up some fight.

However, having said that I feel that pk-ng suffered from surprise of Dwarven speed and some kind of indecisiveness. It was the best shown by the way he moved Lions and Frostheart. The regiments didn't really support each other.

I hope pk-ng has no hard feelings when I comment like that. I really want Asur to emerge victorious but at the same time I see some thing that might have been done differently (although I admit it is done with the benefit of a hindsight). I also like MSU (obviously) so it is not like it is a game where I have clearly favourite army to support.

I was also wondering if you guys minded if I linked your battle report to both, Ulthuan and Bugmans (unless the latter has a link already, need to check!). I simply think it is quite interesting battle and both communities would benefit from reading it.

Cheers!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:41 pm

@ Targ, Swordmaster: One can count on you to comment and keep the battle report section alive! Thanks for the replies, and for the kind words, as always ;)

Swordmaster wrote:Could you elaborate a little on why did you decide not to include any small arms shooting in that army?

There are two reasons for not including any small arms shooting in the list: First off, it was a list created to show that Dwarves do not have to rely on shooting to get the job done, and can instead be proactive. A mixed arms approach is possible, but I find that it detracts a bit from the combat focus of the list.
Which brings us to the second reason, which is purely personal; I enjoy playing armies that rely purely on maneuvering to get the job done, even if it sometimes feels like playing with one hand tied behind your back. In any situation where I have shooting superiority, I'd be tempted to sit back and whittle the enemy down while he comes to me. But then you find yourself reacting to the opponent's maneuvers, instead of creating tactical headaches for him to deal with.

Swordmaster wrote:Another question is about Hammerers. I like stubborn troops a lot but 10 strong and with great weapons is not that ..hm ... great. What do you think about 2 x 15 instead?

Vanyon used 2x15 a while back and he was very pleased with how they worked. They become more of a combat block, but also a bit more of a target. Again, personal preference!

But if I had to find a reason for which 10-strong are better, I'd say that against the tougher and hittier foes, 10 is the minimum you'll need to pin the unit in place for a single turn (without resorting to conga-line "tactics" that is). So, most of the time I find that a couple of hammerers are left once the enemy has struck, pinning the unit for the countercharges in the flanks. In that scenario, having few models left is a boon, as it limits the amount of Combat resolution the enemy can generate with his attacks to the front.

Swordmaster wrote: I also wonder why pk-ng didn't deploy PG and WL a little closer to the hill so that he could still be in BSB range and would avoid the pond. That would keep his army tight and didn't limit his movement.

The deployment game was an interesting one...I should start taking notes of how I proceed in placing units, because I find that it is a crucial part of the game, and one which can give you an advantage. I performed a "feint" to the left, and it was towards the end that I put the heavy combat units more centrally. To do that, I had to deploy the cannons before pk-ng's RBT, but in hthis army list the warmachines are expendable.

Swordmaster wrote: I am wondering why PG decided not to reform PG after winning combat so that no flank charge would be possible. I guess he risked that warriors are not going to make that long charge and he would have been able to attack another warriors fighting against Frostheart.

He could not reform because he elected to pursue the remnants of the Rangers instead. In hindsight, leaving them be would have been a better idea, although he risked to never be able to catch them afterwards due to the impassable terrain.

Swordmaster wrote: I was also wondering if you guys minded if I linked your battle report to both, Ulthuan and Bugmans (unless the latter has a link already, need to check!). I simply think it is quite interesting battle and both communities would benefit from reading it.

No problem, link ahead!

As a side note, I tend to post Battle Reports of games that I find interesting for one reason or the other. Pk-ng is a good general and it was his lack of familiarity with this kind of build that got him this time. Perhaps in a future battle he will react differently, but what I wanted to show here is how the MSU tactics combined with the anvil can give you a force that camps in the opponent's deployment zone, not its own!

Thanks again for reading, and if you're reading this thread for the first (or Nth) time take a couple of minutes to say hi, comment and ask questions!

SmithF

Squigkikka

Postby Squigkikka » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Been on a long hiatus from Warhammer, so it's definitely good to come back to all this MSU battle report goodness! So much to read through!

In particular I'm gonna love reading about all the Dwarf MSU ones :D

tiny81

Postby tiny81 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:41 am

So there you have it: Combat Dwarves, rushing through the fields of battle. It works, tell your friends!

I will!
I just registered to this board to do so :P

Thank you very much for sharing this very intresting battle report!

Regards,
tiny
Tinys Paint-box
HE: ~10.000 Points
O&G:~5.000 Points
DoC: ~5.000 Points

SmithF

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) BGO 2013

Postby SmithF » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:29 pm

The Belgian Grand Open 2013

Most of you know Belgium as the land of good Trappist beer, Chocolate and comics. All of these are correct, but it also happens to have a very decent Warhammer community, practically in every corner of the country. Last March I attended my first ever belgian tournament (see report in this thread) and it was there that I met Alex (K-OS Dwarf on TWF) for a great battle mid-tourney.

After a sound thrashing he told me about the tournament he runs with his club, a 100-player event in Brugges called the BGO, Belgian Grand Open. In the past years this event had gotten the attention of gamers from all around Europe, and the location made it perfect for a weekend of gaming and warhammer fun!

So, Frank (best and probably only Beast player in belgium) and myself (second out of the two Wood Elf players in Belgium) started off on a cold and damp Saturday morning to search glory in the warhammer fields.

A few words about the tournament ruleset:
2400 point armies, no restrictions other than the exclusion of special characters
5 Rulebook scenarios: Dawn Attack, Battleline, Surprise encounter (appendix scenario), Meeting Εngagement, Blood and Glory (albeit a bit modified, more on that later)
Soft points: Painting, Sports, warhammer QUIZ!
Half points awarded for units fleeing/under 25% of starting strength/wounds

So, apart from the half points thing (more on that later), good old out-of-the-box warhammer. A great deal of planning must have gone into picking the scenarios and organising the rulespack, meaning that there was a bit of fun for everyone,, from the most die-hard tournament player to the fluffiest of bunnies.

With that in mind, I decided to go for a list that could hit hard enough, feature all of my centrepieces and be fun to use and fight against:

WOOD ELVES 2400
LORDS:
Treeman Ancient
Spellweaver, lvl4, dispel scroll

HEROES:
Noble BSB, Eagle, LA, Stone of Crystal Mere, Dragonhelm, Warrior Bane

CORE:
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
10 Glade Guard, musician
10 Glade Guard, musician
10 Glade Guard, Standard, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame

SPECIAL
6 Wardancers, musician
4 Treekin, champion
7 Wild Riders, Standard, Musician, Banner of Swiftness

RARE:
Treeman
Great Eagle

Ooh, did I mention that Brugges is a perfectly conserved medieval city? Or that we were playing in an actual medieval tower?

Arriving at the tournament, quality tables were awaiting for us, full of great terrain. An unexpected plus was the espresso machine on site to make sure we had frequent doses of caffeine to keep going with the fights! A slight dissappointment for me was the number of players, only 30 this year... Really a pity, since the location is excellent and the organisation, as you will see, was flawless.

Still, the spread of armies was quite good and from a modelling perspective there was enough for a feast for the eyes: (the flash on my camera doesn't do justice to most of the armies, but you get the general idea)

GAME 1 – DAWN ATTACK

For the first game, I got drawn against the only other Wood Elf player there, Josse. He came from the Netherlands and his army was a pleasure to look at (he went on to win Best Painted)

His list, from memory, looked like this:

JOSSE'S WOOD ELVES
LORDS:
Spellweaver Lvl4, Lore of Beasts, Wand of Wych Elm, Annoyance of Netlings

HEROES:
Noble BSB, Great Eagle, Hail of Doom Arrow, Asyendi's Bane
Spellsinger, lvl2, Divination Orb, Pageant of Skrikes
Spellsinger, lvl1, Elven Steed, Deepwood Sphere
Branchwraith, Cluster of Radiants

CORE:
10 Glade Guard, musician
10 Glade Guard, musician
10 Glade Guard, musician
5 Scouts, Musician
11 Dryads
9 Dryads
5 Glade Riders, Musician

SPECIAL:
5 Wild Riders, Full Command, Banner of Dwindling

RARE:
Treeman
Great Eagle
Great Eagle

So a list with considerably more avoidance elements, more shooting, less hitting power and a magic defense as good as it gets. We got to play Dawn Attack, and he got to deploy first, meaning that he'd probably get the first barrage into my units.
Now, here I commited a mathematical and tactical error: A quick calculation somehow convinced me that if I deployed on the 6” mark I'd be able to avoid the first turn shooting, which is, of course, false. To rectify this, I had to put my wild riders between Josse's shooting base and mine, and hope I'd get to steal the initiative.

(A more sound approach would have been the “in your face” approach, putting both trees and the treekin on the 12” mark and advancing rapidly, I think)

(I forgot to put the scouts in the central-right forest, they were this well hidden!

*Battle report no1 to follow soon, feel free to comment/speculate on the outcome of the battle!*

laribold

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) BGO 2013 Intro

Postby laribold » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:09 pm

Ooooh, a 'woodie'-off (yes, I did just type that...)
Very interesting.

My feeling is that you've both weighted your respective left flanks, but yours has much more punch to it than his.

I think he'll win the shooting battle and you'll be forced to come to him (which, from reading your reports, suits your style) .I don't think his shooting will do enough damage to prevent your treekin and treemen from getting to his lines on your left. You then stand a good chance of rolling up his flank.

His left flank is weighted with shooting but range/cover/skirmishers will see him struggle to destroy units whole and get the points for them.

He's invested a ton of points in magic which I just don't see paying off, although I doubt you'll be casting very much (presumably you're running Beasts).
Depends a bit on his spells too. A couple of boosted Amber Spears (if he rolls it) and the treeman/treekin could be severely weakened, thus changing things.

Interested to see how this plays out (and how wrong I was)
My trading feedback thread:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=103203&start=0

Return to “Reports from the Battlefield”