MSU in action! - 9th Age! New Battle Report!

Tales of your glorious victories and bitter defeats

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

listless
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Tournament Round 2 *DONE*

Postby listless » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks Smith! Great reports as ever!

Targ Ironfist

Postby Targ Ironfist » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:01 am

Hi SmithFelion,

it is nice to see elgi bash themselves senseless! Harr! :mrgreen: (Will the whole tournament be an elfy orgy or it will change soon to something more multiracial?) :lol:

Thank you for another grand learning lesson with the WE. I realy like the way you play them - fast and fluid way. Traps within traps within traps...

AS usual I have some questions for You:

1/ How much do You asume helps You the surprise factor - e.g. opponents completely unused to Your gameplay style and army composition?

2/ Why did You choose not to charge the DE repeating crossbows with your wildriders (TURN 2)?

With regards

SmithF

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Tournament Round 3 *DONE*

Postby SmithF » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:32 pm

GAME 3 VS DoC

After two good and successful games, I was bound to face some tough opposition. During the pause between the games, we discussed with Frapermax the armies in the tournament. One that had struck me was the only Daemon army, commanded by the player currently in the no3 of the Belgian Ranking and ETC captain. I stated that I wouldn't want to face that army in the next round, since getting points off it would be a pain. (Round 3 was Pitched Battle)
I did state it with the same tone as someone rolling a 2+ ward save and uttering “anything but a 1”. As luck would have it, I got to face mr K-OS Dwarf (or Alex) and his beautifully painted Daemons of Chaos anyway.

He had a list based on Khorne units, as a last hurrah before the new book (which did nerf Bloodletters a bit).

LORDS:
Bloodthirster, Armour of Khorne, Spellbreaker

HEROES:
Tzeentch Herald on Disk, BSB, Master of Sorcery (Light), Standard of Chaos Glory
Khorne Herald on Juggernaught
Khorne Herald
Khorne Herald

CORE:
28 Bloodletters, Standard, Musician, Banner of Eternal War
29 Bloodletters, Standard, Musician
5 Furies
5 Furies

SPECIAL:
3 Screamers of Tzeentch

RARE:
7 Bloodcrushers of Khorne, Standard, Musician

So a very compact army, good redirectors, hatred everywhere and a very good magic lore to boot.
In this matchup I'd have to sweat to get points off the daemons, since the “chaff” was worth next to nothing.

SPELLS:
Herald of Tzeentch: Loremaster of Light
Beastweaver: Wildform, Curse of Aranheir, Beast of Horros, Transformation of Kadon

Thankfully, with almost double the amount of units than Alex, I was able to outdeploy and isolate half the daemon army in the right flank. Being the cunning general that he is, he used the screamers to limit my scouts and fast units and prevent them from outflanking early on.

I went for a weighed left flank with the bulk of my army deployed against the bloodcrushers. As I saw it, these were the easiest target to get points off, while I delayed the bloodletter blocks and sacrificed units to keep the bloodthirster occupied.

In the end, deployment looked like that:

A shot of Alex's beautifully painted daemons.

It turns out that all my careful planning would go to waste, since I beat the odds and got the first turn anyway!

TURN 1 – Wood Elves

Still a bit wary of approaching the screamers, the bloodthirster or any other part of the daemon army for that matter, the elves pushed forward on the left flank. The WR noble, having vanguarded, moved up to threaten the Bloodcrusher advance and potentially marchblock them.

In the magic phase a low winds of magic roll forced Alex to use his scroll to block the Curse of Aranheir on the middle Bloodletter block.

Shooting went rather well, with 4 bloodletters dying from each unit to Glade Guard bowfire.

TURN 1 – Daemons

No charges were declared by the daemons this turn. The screamers passed over the Noble and hacked and slashed at him, to no avail. Both bloodletter units advanced towards the wood elf battleline, while the Herald on Disk and Bloodthirster relocated towards the middle of the table.

In the magic phase I had to use my dispel scroll in turn to prevent a Banishment getting cast on my Wardancers with Lord, and the signature spell was dispelled easily.

TURN 2 – Wood Elves

Last turn's movement left an opening I was eager to take advantage of: The Screamers were in charge range/arc of my left Wild Riders, with the caveat that the Waywatchers had to charge as well. Doing the math quickly, I decided that 8 ws 4 s3 and some support attacks from wild riders should do the trick, so they both charged.

The Wild Rider Noble parked right in front of the Bloodcrushers, directly opposite the Herald, polishing his spear...
The rest of the movement involved setting a trap for the bloodcrushers, should they charge the WR noble, then stalling the two units of bloodletters.

Magic started with a successful Curse of Aranheir on the Bloodcrushers. My attempt to cast wildform on the charging wild riders was unsuccessful, ending my magic phase prematurely.

Shooting went better, concentrated shooting dealing 3 wounds on the left Bloodletters and 2 on the right ones.

In combat the Waywatchers fluffed their attacks, the Wild Riders managed to kill a single Screamer and the screamers struck back and killed two waywatchers. Alex then revealed the Standard of Chaos Glory, which meant that the Screamers were Stubborn on Ld9. He duly passed his test and I forgot to combat reform my WR. :)

TURN 2 – Daemons

The Bloodthirster charged into the flank of the waywatchers in an atttempt to save the screamers. The Bloodcrushers took the bait and charged into the Wild Rider noble, passing all their DT tests. Bloodletters to the left fell into the Great Eagle right in front of them, while the right ones revealed their Banner of Eternal War and charged the scouts first. These fled across half the board and through the entire Daemon army, losing 4 models in the process. The lone survivor (I played the entire tournament with 5 scouts instead of 6, that will teach me to check my army list every now and then!) ended up right next to the charging bloodthirster.
The bloodletters redirected into the dryads on the hill, but they couldn't make the 14+ roll on 3D6 that was required to engage.

Both fury units went into redirection mode, one in front of middle Wardancers and the other one in front of the Glade Guard to the right.

In the magic phase I had to let a boosted Burning Gaze on the middle wardancers go, which killed 5 wardancers, so as to dispel Banishment on the general's retinue.

In the Bloodcrusher/WR noble combat, the elf struck first and scored a Killing Blow on the Herald, killing him outright (ward save failed). He got trampled by the Juggernaughts in return, but it was a welcome exchange. The daemonic monstrous cavalry overran straight into the dryads waiting for them.

The bloodthirster made short work of the waywatchers and slammed into the Wild Riders' flank. These only dealt one wound to the screamers, but passed their steadfast break test. They failed their reform, though, meaning that they'd still have only one wild rider in combat...

Finally, the Eagle died to the Bloodletter attacks, but not before dealing a wound on the herald! The bloodletters refrained from overrunning.

TURN 3 – Wood Elves

The Wardancer Highborn drank his potion of Strength and declared a charge into the Bloodcrushers, with the Treekin following suite and falling into the daemons' flank. The rightmost eagle charged against one unit of furies, while the middle dryads fell into the other.
The lone scout failed to rally and fled out of the table.

In the magic phase the Savage Beast of Horros on the Highborn was dispelled, which let the Wildform go through into the Dryads in combat with the Bloodcrushers. Finally, the Curse of Aranheir was cast on the middle Bloodletters.

Shooting targetted the two bloodletter units once more and dropped a further 3 from the middle unit. (18 strong now)

In combat the Bloodthirster smashed four Wild Riders from their saddles, and they couldn't do much to the Screamers in return due to last turn's failed reform. They fled but got away, since the Bloodthirster reformed to face the big combat and the screamers rolled too low to catch them.

The Wardancer Lord struck with an extra attack vs the Bloodcrushers, dealing an impressive four S8 wounds. The treekin, S5 dryads and the Wardancers all chimed in and, when the dust had settled, 11 unsaved wounds were done on the monstrous cavalry, leaving only two survivors. A couple of dryads and wardancers died to the retaliation attacks but the daemonic cavalry was now out of range of the BSB's Stubborn aura and promptly went “pop”.

The Treekin overran towards the Bloodthirster.

In other news, the dryads made short work of the furies and overran, charging into the middle bloodletter unit. The eagle managed to force a Ld2 test on the right furies and they also disappeared in a sulfurous explosion.

TURN 3 – Daemons

The Bloodthirster charged the victorious treekin, while the Bloodletters to the right charged into the dryads on top of the hill, failing their charge. The screamers slashed at the swift wild riders but didn't manage to penetrate their defenses.

Magic resulted in another Burning Gaze cast on the depleted wardancers, causing a further 6 hits and easily removing that unit.

The Treekin Champion challenged the Bloodthirster, who had to accept. He cut the forest spirit down, but the rest of the unit remained steadfast and easily passed its Ld10 test, holding the daemon in place for a turn. The Dryads against the Bloodletters fluffed their attacks and only dealt three wounds, for four back. They fled a couple of inches, while the bloodletters chose not to pursue. This effectively pinned them in place for another turn.

TURN 4 – Wood Elves

The leftmost dryads (the ones previously engaged in the Bloodcrusher combat) spotted the flank of the middle bloodletters some 12” away, and declared a charge. They failed, sadly, and were left in the middle, next to a mean-looking bloodthirster. The swift Wild Riders charged the screamers right in front of them.
The other wild rider unit failed a Ld10 test to rally and fled off the table. The fleeing dryads in the middle rallied and stood in front of the bloodletter block.
In the remaining moves the archers moved to face the rightmost bloodletter unit and the remaining eagle parked in front of it to give them another turn of shooting.

The beastweaver cast yet another Curse of aranheir on the left bloodletters. (Which would, once more, do nothing to the daemons; to hit rolls were always 4+ and only a couple DT tests were failed)

In the shooting phase the Glade Guard failed to put a dent on the right Bloodletters.

Combat started off with the wild riders and screamers trading blows and leaving only a single screamer alive, which passed its stubbborn Ld test. The treekin dealt a wound on the Bloodthirster, but received four wounds back. They miraculously held their ground and pinned the Greater Daemon in place for another turn.

TURN 4 – Daemons

The left bloodletters charged the two recently rallied dryads once more. Their counterparts charged the eagle, which held.

Magic was uneventful this time, mainly due to a failed net of amyntok casting attempt on my wardancer retinue.

In combat the Bloodthirster yet again hacked and slashed against the treekin, leaving a single survivor on one wound. The latter fled and managed to get away to safety, while the Bloodthirster flank charged the dryads that had previously failed to charge the middle bloodletters.
The eagle was dealt with easily, allowing an overrun for the Bloodletters, who ended up on the hill and 1” short of my archers. The middle Bloodletters fared even better: They wiped out the dryads and rolled the required double six to overrun 12” straight into my left Glade Guards' flank. This was bad news for the wood elves, since it meant that I wouldn't be able to effectively deplete either unit to below 25% (points were awarded for units below 25% as per the tournament rules).

Finally, the Wild Riders struck first and automatically killed the charging screamers; this gave them a free reform that allowed them to turn and face the rear of the Herald of Tzeentch BSB on disk! A glimmer of hope for the wood elves!

TURN 5 – Wood Elves

Turn 5 would be the final turn for our game, since we were closing in on the 3 hour limit. With that in mind, I tried to get the most of the turn I had left: The wild riders charged into the BSB's rear. The fleeing treekin rallied. The dryads and archers shuffled around a bit, to make sure that the only casualty would be the forest spirits next turn. Finally, the wardancers with lord backed up to avoid the bloodthirster.

Magic saw yet another curse of aranheir cast on the left bloodletters (it would, again, not do much). The Wildform on the charging wild riders was dispelled. Shooting was pretty uneventful, only a couple of bloodletters died despite the short range shooting.

Combat started with the Bloodthirster trampling the dryads, then reforming to face the Wild Riders, after much deliberation from Alex.

The elven fast cavalry struck the Herald of Tzeentch with everything they had, but mediocre dice rolls saw me cause only 3 wounds. Alex then proceeded to roll 3 4+ saves and then passed his Stubborn Break Test.

The Glade Guard broke and fled off the table from the bloodletters.

TURN 5 – Daemons

In the closing steps of the game, the Bloodthirster charged into the Wild Riders to save the Herald BSB (worth 400 victory points!). The rightmost bloodletters and the herald from the left unit charged into the dryads behind the hill.

Magic was dispelled.

In combat the dryads failed to wound the already wounded charging herald and were cut down by bloodletters. The Wild Riders lost three of their number to the Bloodthirster's attacks, then threw everything they had against theTzeentch Herald. Three more wounds were dealt, and Alex yet again passed all his ward saves. I lost that combat by 5 and fled, closing the game with the loss of another 250 victory points!

Victory Points:

Daemons of Chaos: 1527 points
Wood Elves: 935 points

8 – 12 LOSS

Aftermath:
Despite the bad luck at some points of the game, this was a highly tactical game that I thoroughly enjoyed. Alex is a very good general that knew how to exploit his army's stregnths to get the points he needed. Oh, he also cunningly offered me beer while drinking Coke himself... It didn't seem suspicious at that moment, but it looks like a tactic a Skaven would employ ;)

Seriously, very good game and well deserved win to Alex!

Highlights:

1. The S3 wood elf shooting took a very heavy toll on the bloodletters early on, which could have worked wonderfully to my advantage if I had managed to get those flank charges off. Instead, a couple of excellent overrun rolls meant that they got the jump on my shooting battery.
2. The sneaky use of the Stubborn banner to trap my Waywatchers and Wild riders; I must admit that I wasn't expecting that, having mostly played daemons in comped environments where stubborn banner use was relatively frowned upon. What really hurt in that combat, though, was failing the combat reform test: it meant that the unit champion was out of combat and could not challenge the Bloodthirster while his mates did short work of the Screamers.
3. The Noble's sacrifice: In an epic duel he killing blowed the khorne herald, greatly diminishing the hitting power of the Bloodcrushers and allowing my wardancer lord and co to subsequently wipe them out in one turn.
4. The 'Crusher pile-up: I'm really proud of that trap, seeing a unit of 7 monstrous cavalry go up in smoke in a single turn is certainly impressive. S8 Wardancer Lords are scary!
5. The BSB rear charge: I had a chance to turn the game around there, but it was not to be: Solid rolling from Alex, and a wise decision to let the treekin be and reform the bloodthirster to charge the Wild Riders (in the end, ward saves meant that it didn't really matter, but it could have made the difference between a win and a draw).
6. The middle bloodletter overrun: This one really messed things up for the elves, as is often the case in warhammer battles. First, they avoided the dryad flank charge (which would have probably accounted for the death of the herald and would have pinned them in place to say the least), then they managed to contact my shooting battery a turn earlier than expected. Double loss, and a lot of points conserved in 13 and 16 bloodletters respectively.

Overall, I wouldn't change much in the way I approached the game; The bloodletters were dealt with pretty well, barring fourth turn's overrun. The bloodcrushers gave me a huge point boost and kept me in the game. As for the Bloodthirster, barring a lucky transformation of Kadon, I didn't really have a way of dealing with him other than trying to limit the casualties.

So, day 1 ended with me standing at 42/60 battle points and in 8th place! I was certainly in for a tough fight for the two remaining games!

Razon
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Razon » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:58 pm

Nice! Sounds like a hard fought battle, one has to be happy with those!
I was wondering what happened to the WR champion, did something kill it before the Thirster hit them.
it meant that the unit champion was out of combat and could not challenge the Bloodthirster

Sadly, it is not so. Champ (or a character) not in combat can challenge normally.
ETC Team Croatia Vampire Counts 2010 & 2014, Skaven 2011, Tomb Kings 2013. Captain for 2013, 2014, 2015.
Member of ETC FAQ.com 2011, AR.com 2012
ETC Team Serbia Orcs&Goblins 2017

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi Smith!

A very good game to read! There is a lot to admire of the performance of both generals. I will definitely go back to that report a few more times to see more. As I have said before, there is still so much for me to learn :)

The Khorne daemon army you faced is a very tough one indeed but I like such challenges as it immediately sets your mind into highest gear. I kept fingers crossed while reading (and not checking the result first) and I believed you could pull out a good result in the end, in particular after that awesome charge on bloodcrushers.

The game had its dramatic moments for sure. Treekin holding longer than suspected. Bloodletters pursuing/overruning 12" etc. It was also interesting to see (and something I have experienced myself) what elven shooting can do, even with relatively small amount of bows. S3 might not be much but these letters were melting fast.

Last but not least I suggest to check those loaded dice of daemon players before you start playing them. How many DT tests they passed? :p

Cheers!
Blog: Path of an Outcast

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Battle Log with shortcuts to Battle Reports: HE MSU
Article on HE MSU: HE MSU - Observations
Rate my Battle Reports at: Sigmar's Fantasy Battles

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?

K-OS Dwarf

Postby K-OS Dwarf » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 am

Hi Smithf tnx for the great report and indeed a very enjoyable and tough battle. Hope to see ya soon again :D
ETC TEAM BELGIUM FANTASY CAPTAIN 2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016
ETC TEAM BELGIUM FANTASY PLAYER 2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016
Reich ist das land, das Helden hat- doch arm das land, das helden braucht!

frapermax

Postby frapermax » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:55 am

Well played both. The feeling of simply deleting a crusher block must be very satisfying indeed. Btw, according to the new faq's i think the treekin couldn't overrun by popping the crusher unit through combat resolution.
Did you check failed dt-tests on 1 and 2? Because it seems improbable that 30 odd letters would come through that unscathed in t2.
Their superb paintjob might have made them extra lucky though :wink:
Looking forward to a grudgematch between you two during one of the next tournaments.
cya soon
fpm

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:00 am

Hi fraper!

I presume you took part in the same tournament? if yes, where are your reports? :)

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?

K-OS Dwarf

Postby K-OS Dwarf » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:37 am

yeah man give us some report!

And for the record my bloodletters didnt have to take a DT test as they never lost a combat the whole game! as i record it.

Little report from me then: ( not used to do that at all )

After a near perfect tournament with some crazy scenarios, who turned the game many times around, i ended in battle 5 against Empire with 3 light mages ( grrr ) and 2 canons, steam tank, war alter, celestial machine, and a big i think 30 swordman mage bunker, 2 demigrif units of 3, big unit of knights with bsb and a couple of units and detachments of peasants with arrows list. So after deploying, the first turn went to the empire, ooo that hurt, i felt the gods have left me to rot and i was hit irresistable with banishment and indeed wow that hurt, blasted my bloodthirster unable to hide due to nearly no scenery on the table and failed a ward save or two in turn 2, the scenario was killed characters give double points, so he also zapped my bsb with burning gaze, and banishment again unable to hide anything on this table, so i started turn 2 with a difference of 1600 points to turn around, a near impossible mission if you ask me , so i closed my eyes feeling very down and try to take as many points possible, 800 in fact. So surviving the basishment torment until turn 6 my demons where all banished, shot on and outcasted, Hoera for light.
A sit back game for a list made to blast demons to the underworld and back, he didnt even have to blink an eye or move a finger.
So I said bye bye to my second place and dropped 10th, with no remorse but in need for some Grudges ;-)

The best part as it was the last game is that all went fast and nicely in the army carrier ;-).

But overal great weekend actually playing the top 5, lots of fun, great opponents, lots of laughs and indeed nice to meet you SmithF. A big concrat to the orga, only hoping for more scenery next time ;-)
ETC TEAM BELGIUM FANTASY PLAYER 2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys! Here's a couple of replies:

Swordmaster wrote:The army looks very interesting (even if you were afraid to go to the tournament without level 4 :-P) and WE miniatures are simply fantastic. I am also amazed at the size of new eagles. In comparison the ones I use are more like sparrows :D

Scenarios look interesting but while I like the one which adds extra points for objectives I am not sure about familiars. I am very curious about this game.

Thanks, the new eagles are indeed very impressive. I highly recommend the kit, very easy to build, a joy to paint and high quality cast (literally zero mould lines). Not to mention they are very lightweight.

The scenarios were all very well thought out, with the only negative comment being the scoring table for the "Control" scenario: a difference of 5 points got you a massacre win, which I did find excessive. As it were, a lot of the games on round were 20-0 results - which may have put my elves at a disadvantage (since I got the same score as someone who had a 5 point difference while having an 8 point difference myself).

Familiar scenario is up next, so I'll be adding my thoughts afterward. It's a complicated and very interesting scenario, lots of tricks to pull off.

I was counting on commenting on the use of wizards in the tournament aftermath post, but I do believe that not taking a wizard wouldn't have cost me that much. It's debatable whether these 300+ points wouldn't have been better spent on another unit or a monster hunter Highborn. Still, turning the mage into a Mountain Chimera was certainly a high point for me! :)

Targ Ironfist wrote:1/ How much do You asume helps You the surprise factor - e.g. opponents completely unused to Your gameplay style and army composition?

2/ Why did You choose not to charge the DE repeating crossbows with your wildriders (TURN 2)?

Hey Targ!
1. It does catch people off guard, although all my opponents were experienced tournament players and had faced MSU lists before (although not necessarily in 8th edition). The Beastweaver build certainly surprised Christophe in the first game, and the movement 10 Wild Riders allowed for some serious outflanking maneuvers early on.
I also got to outdeploy all my adversaries; this, combined with the overall speed of the list, meant that I picked my matchups and could concentrate my hard hitters on one target at a time.

2. The picture is misleading, here: It was taken after my remaining moves phase, during which I moved my wild riders closer to the crossbows. In the beginning they were around 19" away, so I decided that charging with my eagle and then flanking next turn would be a better solution.
If you're referring to the turn 3 movement (and the fact that I didn't frontally charge the Rx bows), it's because of the amount of attacks with Hatred a DE block can pump out: I thought about charging, but I've done this before against Razon and it didn't end well for my Wild Riders. They were far more valuable alive, for securing a table section late game.

Razon wrote:Sadly, it is not so. Champ (or a character) not in combat can challenge normally.

Ah, we debated that but we were running late and the game was good fun so I didn't want to stall it any further with a rules argument. It would have helped by pinning the bloodthirster in place for another turn and allowing my treekin to focus on something else, such as the Bloodletter horde. We did play the overrun wrong, though, so I guess it evens out! :)

Swordmaster wrote:Last but not least I suggest to check those loaded dice of daemon players before you start playing them. How many DT tests they passed? :p

Alex played a very solid game and it's no surprise he was a top3 contender until the last game! He did roll very well for his Difficult Terrain checks, and Ward saves helped a lot against these, too. The Herald of Khorne with 1 wound passed his twice, the bloodcrushers passed all of theirs and the 18 or so Bloodletters lost 3 of their number to the spell.

@ K-OS Dwarf: Thanks for that brief tale of woe. Playing daemons against Lore of Light Empire is never easy, very bad matchup for your last game! Will you be upgrading your daemons to the 8th edition? Care to share your thoughts about these? See you in a couple of weeks, hopefully!

@ Frapermax: It ain't my fault, but the crowd demands reports! :)

frapermax

Postby frapermax » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:39 pm

Since I don't own a funky phone i will only be able to do a short write-up from (aging) memory. But I will, once yours are finished. I'll write them K-OS style, with just some high/lowlights in a spanking new thread.
stay tuned folks
fpm

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Hi guys!

@ SmithF

It is very tempting to buy these eagles but I think I will wait until the new book and will focus on painting other things in the meantime. :) Glad to know that the kit is actually good too!

I am also a little surprised on your comment about the wizard as he seems to be very active in your games and might have been more spectacular if not the magnificent rolls for daemons. But I will gladly wait until the summary of the tournament to discuss it further.

@ K-OS Dwarf

My comment about loaded dice was meant as a joke, so I hope you didn't take it personally! It is often the case when one plays against daemons when they roll their ward saves as if it was 2+ not 5+ too! :)

@ frapermax

Yes! That particular crowd demands it! In particular after so many reports written by certain individual he wants to read about the adventures of others too! :)

Cheers!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

K-OS Dwarf

Postby K-OS Dwarf » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:34 pm

@swordmaster: no offense taken, ;-)

@frapermax: yeeaha man write that report K-OS or any style, the more we are the better ;-) Frank, glad you where there.

@smithF: Well for the demon book, i think my army will be more greenish, i think like in the chinees calendar its nurgle time. But the canon of khorne is great and nurgle beasts at only 60 points each.

SmithF

MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Tournament Round 4 *DONE*

Postby SmithF » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:20 am

GAME 4 VS Dark Elves

For the first game of the second day I was to play Raphael and yet another Dark Ef army! Yet another experienced tournament general with a good ranking position (for people who follow this stuff).

His army included a lot of the tournament “must-haves” (2xHydras, Unkillable Dreadlord, Shadow lvl4, ASF executioner block)and a lot of redirectors which would pose a problem in this game.

LORDS:
Dreadlord on Dark Pegasus, Pendant of Khaeleth, stuff
Supreme Sorceress, lvl4 (Shadow), Sacrificial Dagger, Lifetaker

HEROES:
Sorceress, Lvl1 (Fire), Dispel Scroll
Death Hag BSB, Banner of Har Graef, Manbane

CORE:
20 Repeater Crossbows, Shields, Full Command
30 Corsairs, Full Command, Sea Serpent Standard
5 Dark Riders, Repeater Crossbows, Musician
5 Harpies
5 Harpies
5 Harpies

SPECIAL:
30 Executioners, Full Command, Banner of Discipline
Cold One Chariot
5 Shades, Additional Hand Weapon

RARE:
Hydra
Hydra

The objective of the game this time was to “Capture the familiars!” , five goblin figures set up equidistantly along the midline. They moved randomly d6” per players' turn, and would auto-flee d6” if charged. The only way to capture them was to run them down as if charging a fleeing unit.

The loophole here was that characters and monsters could also capture these, which put me at a disadvantage from the get go: If the hydras and the pegasus lord got a couple of familiars early on, I'd be fighting a losing battle.

With these thoughts in mind, I set up with a powerful centre and right flank; I couldn't reliably contest all 5 familiars, so the goal was to capture three and make it difficult for the Dark Elves to capture the other two.

The Wild Rider noble went solo, in an effort to dissuade harpies and scouts from grabbing a familiar early on. The placement of the scouts was to prevent an early capture of their familiar, too: If it was charged, it would flee through them and closer to my lines.

Finally, the Waywatchers were within KB shooting range of the familiar directly opposite the Dreadlord: If he charged it early on, he'd be receiving some Lethal Shots in return.

It was beginning to dawn on me how complicated this scenario is, tactically; charge early on and you're left exposed against the bulk of the enemy army. If you fail your charge, all you've done is push the familiar closer to your adversary. On the other hand, if you take too much time you risk to leave the initiative to the other army.

Speaking of initiative, the Dark Elves got the first turn.

SPELLS:
Supreme Sorceress: Miasma, Withering, Pit of Shades, Mindrazor
Fire Sorceress: Fireball
Beastweaver: Wildform, Feast of Crows, Amber Spear, Savage Beast of Horros

TURN 1 – Dark Elves

The Dreadlord charged the familiar closest to him and captured it. All three units of harpies flew very close to my lines, probably to stall my advance and prevent an early capture of the rest of the familiars from my fast units.

In the magic phase the Fire Sorceress failed to cast a 3d6 fireball on my right Wild Riders and the magic phase ended. Shooting went better, with the Shades and Dark Riders killing a total of 4 Wild riders and reducing the unit to just the command group!

The Supreme Sorceress used her Lifetaker to kill two waywatchers (Why do I never see this item coming?). In hindsight, she shouldn't have, since her corsairs marched...

TURN 1 – Wood Elves

Right, turn one and I'm already one familiar down! I got this strange idea of making things harder for the Dark Elves: The dryads to the left charged the leftmost familiar, causing it to flee through the Hydra and the crossbows, and out of reach for at least a couple of turns! I did the same with the two middle familiars, pushing them through the Executioners and Dark Riders respectively.

Now, the second part of my plan involved me getting the greater part of the Dark Elf fast units out of play. The flaming WR charged into the harpies in front of them, the middle dryads charged right into the ruins and the harpies nested in them and the WR Noble charged against the rightmost unit of harpies, positioning himself so that an overrun would potentially get him into the rightmost familiar. The depleted Wild Riders charged into the Dark Riders close by, who held their ground. With a bit of luck I'd be able to break through and start collecting the familiars I had pushed behind the dark elf lines.

Finally, the right eagle spotted the flank of the Cold One chariot and the 7th edition reflex kicked in, with me declaring the charge (and making it).

So by the end of the movement phase all the enemy fast units were engaged, barring the dreadlord, and 3 out of 5 familiars were out of reach of the dark elf units for at least two turns.

The scouts parked in front of the rightmost hydra, blocking its advance and hopefully locking it in place for at least a turn.

In the magic phase I chucked all my dice at Wildform on the charging Wild Riders, but I didn't get IF and Raphael used his dispel scroll to block that.
Shooting started with the three remaining waywatchers shooting at the dreadlord, getting three hits but no KB!
The rest of the wood elf shooting amounted for three dead shades, who passed their panic test.

Combat saw me easily destroy all the harpy units, although the Wild Rider Noble couldn't overrun into the familiar, in the end, and just went forward and right into the difficult terrain.

The Eagle failed to wound the chariot and received two wounds back, meaning that the combat was tied and I had just wasted one of my fliers to no effect. (In my defence, I think the charge was justified and could have dealt a blow by allowing my eagle to infiltrate the Dark Elf backfield and start collecting familiars.)

The Wild Riders fluffed their rolls for the most part, only killing a single Dark Rider for no wounds back. With the BSB nearby, the dark elf cavalry easily passed their ld5 test and stood their ground.

TURN 2 – Dark Elves

The wood elf antics last turn forced the Druchii hand: The Corsairs charged against the leftmost Wild Riders, while the executioners had to flank the Swift Wild Riders that were fighting the Dark Riders (due to alignment, one wild rider was blocking their advance).

The rightmost Hydra found itself blocked between the scouts, the Wild Riders in combat and the Wild Rider noble (who had pursued right 1” from its flank. This meant that – since it didn't declare a charge – it was stuck in place.

The dreadlord backed away from the Waywatchers and behind the safety of the hill in the Dark Elf deployment zone.

Magic was focused on casting Mindrazor on the Corsairs. 6 dice were rolled but no double sixes came up, meaning I could use my scroll to spare my Wild Riders!

Shooting killed a couple of scouts from the unit blocking the Hydra, though these passed their panic test. The crossbows took aim against the eagle right behing the crystal spire and, in spite of the hard cover, managed to wound it twice!

Combat saw the charging executioners easily kill the wild riders, but due to the presence of the frenzied BSB in the unit they had to overrun and were left with their flank exposed to the dryads. The Chariot killed the unfortunate eagle, reforming to face the familiars to the north.

In the main event, the frenzied corsairs struck simultaneously with the Wild Riders:
Two of the Wild Riders singled out the Supreme Sorceress and managed to deal three wounds and kill her instantly! The remaining Fast Cavalry,along with their horses, killed an impressive 7 (!) Corsairs, getting the wound tally to 10!
The corsairs struck back with 33 attacks, but Kurnous was protecting his chosen this day: After armour and ward saves, only four Wild Riders died!

This meant that the Wood Elven fast cavalry actually won combat and the corsairs (too far away from the general and the BSB) turned tail and ran!! I failed to catch them, but Raphael had a new-found respect for the Wood Elf shock troops!

*The initial goal for the Wild Riders were to lose combat, get wiped out and force the corsairs to overrun into a trap, between the Wardancers on one flank and two units of Dryads on the other. That said, this result suited me as well!*

TURN 2 – Wood Elves

So far so good but time was running short (a lot of units on both sides, some rules arguments that took some time and the referee's involvement to resolve) and so I didn't take any more pictures. Here's a SmithPic to explain what happened on my turn:

So two familiars were captured, the far left one was out of reach for both of us and the one right next to the executioners was almost mine for the taking (dryad rear charge and all).

The scouts right in front of the Hydra marched past it and positioned themselves right in front of the Chariot to protect the WR Noble and prevent it from taking any familiars with its swiftstride move.

Shooting was largely ineffective and Magic resulted in a boosted Amber Spear being cast on the chariot, but I only dealt a single wound on it!

Combat started with the Dryads killing all the Dark Riders and overrunning next to the last familiar. The executioners and BSB Hag struck first against the dryads, amounting for a total of four unsaved wounds! (In hindsight, they shouldn't have struck first but rather in initiative order, but time was pressing and my opponent didn't mention this either). The dryads struck back and managed to kill the Death Hag and wound the sorceress. (Which shouldn't have been in the unit in the first place, given the fact that they were Khainite).

The Dryads lost combat by 2, failed their break test despite the proximity of my general and fled. The executioners were no longer frenzied, so elected to reform 3-wide and face the northern familiar instead.

*This was a bad decision on my part: I initially charged into the Executioners in order to force them to pursue towards my lines and away from the familiars in the Dark Elf deployment zone. Then I forgot my initial plan and went for a BSB suicide run despite the fact that there were no VP's for this game and that we only had time for another turn – and so limiting bsb rerolls would probably have no effect whatsoever.*

The treekin stomped the dryads to death and overran into the familiar as predicted. They reformed, comfortably out of Hydra LoS.

TURN 3 – Dark Elves

Like I said, the game had been slow and plagued by rules arguments (for history, yours truly was right every single time). This meant that we only had time for one more turn. With that in mind, the executioners charged and took the middle familiar, reforming to 5-wide afterwards to face my Wild riders to the west. The chariot charged and killed off the scouts, the hydra to the right flamed the victorious dryads leaving just 2 alive.

Finally, the crossbowmen performed a successful Swift Reform and took the last wound off the Great Eagle that was threatening to capture the western familiar.

TURN 3 – Wood Elves

With one last turn at my disposal, I elected to preserve the two familiars I had captured, and go for a couple of charges on the executioners, hoping they'd break and grant me the win.
The Wardancer lord drank his potion of strength, then he, his wardancers (flank) , the treekin (rear) and the remaining Wild Riders (front) all charged into the executioner block.

I proceeded to roll very low for my Treekin and Wardancer charge (both were 7+ charges), meaning that the Wild Riders went in all alone and died to an elf in the process.

VICTORY POINTS (Familiars)
Dark Elves: 2
Wood Elves: 2

(+ 1 unclaimed)

RESULT: 10-10 DRAW!

AFTERMATH:

Although a very tactical game, I have to say that this was the low point of the tournament for me: Raphael plays often in tournaments and knows his Warhammer. Being the “new face” in the Belgian tournament scene, I didn't argue with any of the rules interpretations for my first three games (not that there were many causes for argument, anyway). In the fourth game I can point out at least 5 or 6 such issues that my opponent wanted to resolve to my detriment. I explained the rules politely, we checked the rulebook and FAQ's, I was right. Every time.
Then he wanted to check with the TO and/or judge. Every time. The judges sided with my interpretation of the rules. Every time. I managed to keep my calm and the game proceeded in a friendly atmosphere.

However, getting only three turns in was a disappointment in the end, especially since I *tried* to play fast all my games, with an army that takes a lot of thinking in the movement phase. (and occasionally making bad choices because of rushing it – see the Executioner//dryad combat and the detrimental BSB assassination). The rest of my games we easily managed 5+ turns, since there were actually zero rules arguments.

In the end, Raphael did very well for his last game and got 5th place. He is a very good general, used a good army and played well. He was docked a couple of points, though, due to stalling (3 of his games ended with less than 5 turns played).

From a tactical standpoint, I'm happy with how this played out: I was able to neutralize the dark elf fast support on turn 1, then pushed all the familiars out of Dark Elf reach and proceeded to redirect/bait the dark elf big blocks.

In the post game discussion, my opponent agreed that a best course of action would have been to keep his harpies in reserve and push forward with hydras/executioners/corsairs, limiting my maneuverability and easily getting the familiars in late game. As it were, the last turn charge could have gotten me a relatively big win if the executioners had broken.

The only highlight was the Wild Rider/Corsair combat: The chosen of Kurnous stood their ground, assassinated the supreme sorceress and killed 7 corsairs. They warded off most of the enemy blows, breaking and running down the unit of 30 frenzied corsairs in the process!

So, with one last game to play and 52/80 points, I still found myself in 7th place, playing in the top tables against the new Warriors of Chaos!

wardancer

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Tournament Round 4 *DONE*

Postby wardancer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:08 am

Well played, especially against such a hard army. Judging by the amount of "mistakes" your opponent made and rules arguments he had with you, coupled with the fact that he is obviously an experienced player.. well, lets just say I admire your patience :)

Waiting for the last report now, fingers crossed :)

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:49 am

What an a@@. I am glad he lost some points but in the end few points due to stalling is nothing in comparison to what could have been lost if the game proceeded as normal. So the penalty really does not hit him much and does not make it any better for his opponents. The attitude of a player is also very bad. It is ok to have a debate over rules issue. But once it is shown in the rules or relevant FAQ what is the case it is rude to call referees anyway. I met similar players in the past. Always testing how well you know the rules and trying to bend them (or simply cheat) if they spot that you don't know them well enough. Funny it is another DE player I remember the best for such behavior.

I think that being patient and polite during the game is ok for you but in the end such player will go and abuse another gamer. In particular the beginner and this means one just cannot let it go. So it is good you speak about it but you should not be afraid to call it what it is.

In general again a very good game on your part, in particular against such a tough army. I also see adrenaline level rising when you found out you are on top tables, playing against the best (and occasionally the worst). Let's quickly forget about game 4 and let's move to the last one. Unless you are going to be cruel and will keep building up the tension :)

Cheers!

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Joey_Boy

Postby Joey_Boy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:58 am

It looks like you have had a solid run so far. It's always a shame when you player someone who is stalling and arguing rules for no point other then arguing and stressing you up. I have found that the best way to deal with this type of player is to be friendly but firm with the first argument, and if my opponent continues arguing about small/basic stuff I shut them down hard the second time to show them that you'll not take any B-S from them.

Anyway, back to the games/list. Iv been looking at the way your highborn is played and it seems he is a counter-charger or a shoot and forget missile. Looking at this I'm wondering why he is a HB and not a noble? For 125p you get a WD noble with potion of strength(150 if you want nettling) and this frees up 125-150 points. And if you want you can now run 2 units of 3 TK and beef up the WR units to 8 strong.

Just some thoughts as the HB seems to be running around the back most of the time and only late game counter-charging something.
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Come on over and discuss the MSU fun time with us!
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22678

Beragon

Postby Beragon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:49 pm

My observation on taking the HB instead of the Noble: LD 10 is rather nice to have, especially with no BSB in the list, and a Noble Wardancer can't take the kit that his HB is packing (Blades of Loec, Annoyance, Potion of Str).

gandalf

Postby gandalf » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:54 am

Hey P!

I'm looking desperately for that last game report ;)
Nice the woodies btw.

ps: Hope to see you on 13/4
WHFB Team Belgium 2012, 2013

Joey_Boy

Postby Joey_Boy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:15 am

Beragon wrote:My observation on taking the HB instead of the Noble: LD 10 is rather nice to have, especially with no BSB in the list, and a Noble Wardancer can't take the kit that his HB is packing (Blades of Loec, Annoyance, Potion of Str).

90% of the army is ItP so the extra Ld is not really an issue, and for break tests it's of limited use since the army will be spread out. And you normally lose big or win big when going into combat with this type of army. And the Noble would only lose the re-roles to wound from Blades of Loec. So I feel that having 2 units of 3 TK would add more s5 attacks on different parts of the table and less points tied up in a single HB and a bigger TK unit.

Beragon

Postby Beragon » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:00 am

Joey_Boy wrote:90% of the army is ItP so the extra Ld is not really an issue, and for break tests it's of limited use since the army will be spread out. And you normally lose big or win big when going into combat with this type of army. And the Noble would only lose the re-roles to wound from Blades of Loec. So I feel that having 2 units of 3 TK would add more s5 attacks on different parts of the table and less points tied up in a single HB and a bigger TK unit.

I think the Blades of Loec are in the list for their pure fun/awesomeness... nobody I know wants to try their characters' luck against a Wardancer with these swords! :wink:

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:38 am

Hello again!

@Joey Boy: Interesting thoughts about the Wardancer character. You're probably right, when you look at if from a theoretical standpoint. Here are my thoughts behind the inclusion of the Wardancer Highborn:

1. He is one of the reasons I got into wood elves in the first place, and I really want my army to be led by one.
2. From a tactical standpoint, ld10 is good to have although it's situational given how wide spread my army is most of the time.
3. Combat potential: Believe it or not, I think that the extra WS, Attack and wound make all the difference in the world when it comes to Wardancer characters. It means that he gets hit less, is more likely to survive for a second round of combat and the extra attack allows all kinds of tricks.

- Potion of Strength + ASF dance: I've often found myself in a situation where all I need is a couple of wounds to win combat, kill a character and so on and so forth. Having 4 attacks ASF at s7 or s8 with rerolls on to hit (3+) and to wound (2+) has been very useful so far.

- Killing blow probability: The extra attack and the reroll on failed to wound rolls makes the Wardancer Highborn a killing blow machine! Although I my math hammer - fu is not very strong, the probability of scoring a killing blow on a Chaos Lord is around 70% and against Lizardmen Oldbloods it is as high as 95%. The respective values for a Wardancer Noble are much lower: 33% for both.
People are often amazed about how frequently their characters are killing blowed, but this is not a coincidence.

Finally, the high points cost goes both ways: Sure, he costs an arm and a leg, but these are points that I rarely give up: he acts as a deterrent for opponent Lord-level fliers, which would be otherwise roaming free and taking apart my army unit by unit.

As for the extra treekin unit, I did try using 2 units of 3 while playtesting: I found that they were not big enough, all they needed was a single casualty and they became a lot less effective. With 4 and a champion the unit be comes more expensive (and more of a target) but it can really hold its own.

Another point of interest is that the role of the Wardancer Lord depends on the opposition: so far i've faced armies that were superior in combat, had great initiative and so i had to be cautious about when and where to commit my wardancer general. His presence in certain parts of the battlefield played a greater role than is shown, mainly as a potential threat.

@ Wardancer, Swordmaster: Thanks for the comments and praise! Regarding my opponent on game 4 and in-game rules disputes, I give him the benefit of doubt: It's always hard to adapt to an "international" warhammer ruleset. Playing in UB over the past years I've had the chance of playing players from all over the world, with different house rules in their heads and different interpretations of the printed rules. The only way to play a good game in this context is to go by the book, and that's what we do.

This did help a lot in resolving the arguments in the tournament, but I can understand that if you've spent all your warhammer years playing with one (mistaken) interpretation of a rule, it can surprise you when the correct rule gets pointed out.

@ Gandalf: Trying to make it happen, I'll let you know soon!

In other news, report no 5 will be up soon!

Joey_Boy

Postby Joey_Boy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:13 am

SmithF wrote:Hello again!

@Joey Boy: Interesting thoughts about the Wardancer character. You're probably right, when you look at if from a theoretical standpoint. Here are my thoughts behind the inclusion of the Wardancer Highborn:

1. He is one of the reasons I got into wood elves in the first place, and I really want my army to be led by one.
2. From a tactical standpoint, ld10 is good to have although it's situational given how wide spread my army is most of the time.
3. Combat potential: Believe it or not, I think that the extra WS, Attack and wound make all the difference in the world when it comes to Wardancer characters. It means that he gets hit less, is more likely to survive for a second round of combat and the extra attack allows all kinds of tricks.

- Potion of Strength + ASF dance: I've often found myself in a situation where all I need is a couple of wounds to win combat, kill a character and so on and so forth. Having 4 attacks ASF at s7 or s8 with rerolls on to hit (3+) and to wound (2+) has been very useful so far.

- Killing blow probability: The extra attack and the reroll on failed to wound rolls makes the Wardancer Highborn a killing blow machine! Although I my math hammer - fu is not very strong, the probability of scoring a killing blow on a Chaos Lord is around 70% and against Lizardmen Oldbloods it is as high as 95%. The respective values for a Wardancer Noble are much lower: 33% for both.
People are often amazed about how frequently their characters are killing blowed, but this is not a coincidence.

Finally, the high points cost goes both ways: Sure, he costs an arm and a leg, but these are points that I rarely give up: he acts as a deterrent for opponent Lord-level fliers, which would be otherwise roaming free and taking apart my army unit by unit.

As for the extra treekin unit, I did try using 2 units of 3 while playtesting: I found that they were not big enough, all they needed was a single casualty and they became a lot less effective. With 4 and a champion the unit be comes more expensive (and more of a target) but it can really hold its own.

Another point of interest is that the role of the Wardancer Lord depends on the opposition: so far i've faced armies that were superior in combat, had great initiative and so i had to be cautious about when and where to commit my wardancer general. His presence in certain parts of the battlefield played a greater role than is shown, mainly as a potential threat.

In other news, report no 5 will be up soon!

Hmm, I see your point and agree now that you have explained your thoughts and Iv had some time to think on it. My experience with the units and there roll comes from having a bigger shooting base that results in smaller units to fight later on, so having the noble instead of the HB or the units of 3 instead of 4+champ of TK would work for a list with more of a presence in the shooting phase. But your list needs the extra wounds in CC.

Looking forward to reading about game 5! :)

Targ Ironfist

Postby Targ Ironfist » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi SmithF,

great games played and a lot of good reading for Your adicts.
The daemons was a tough match, still a solid game played. I enjoyed it pretty much, altough it pained me You lost.

In Game 4 You have shown Your brutal efficiency and tactical superiority. I realy liked that. Pushing the familiars behind his lines was grand.

Question: Why did You get 2 wounds from the charriot (charriot wounding the eagle)? In a flank attack the beasts should not have attacked the eagle, unless I am mistaken. Only the crew. And 2 wounds from that seems too much... So, was he lucky or he attacked with cold ones too?

With regards

Squigkikka

Postby Squigkikka » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:32 pm

That Raphael fellow doesn't seem to be a very good general at all? Cheating, rules arguing and stalling is erk bollocks.

SmithF

MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Tournament Round 5

Postby SmithF » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:32 pm

GAME 5 vs WoC

Final game of the tournament and I'm paired against Thierry, a fellow who came with his kids to the event all the way from Lille! A member of a big gaming club in France, he recently jumped onto the Warriors of Chaos bandwagon. His list was as follows:

LORDS:
Chaos Lord of Tzeentch on Disk, Shield, Dragonhelm, Crown of Command, Talisman of Preservation, Third Eye of Tzeentch
Daemon Prince of Tzeentch, Chaos Armour, Scaly Skin, Charmed Shield

HEROES:
Exalted Hero of Slaanesh, BSB, Daemonic Mount, Enchanted Shield, stuff
Exalted Hero of Slaanesh, Barded Daemonic Mount, Halberd, Shield, stuff
Exalted Hero of Khorne, Juggernaught, Halberd, Shield, Stuff

CORE:
4 x Chariot of Slaanesh
5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh, Flails, Javelins
5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh, Flails, Javelins
5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh, Flails, Throwing Axes

RARE:
3 Skullcrushers of Khorne, Standard, Musician
5 Skullcrushers of Khorne, Standard, Musician

Five hard-hitting and heavily armoured heroes, four chariots, 2 units of skullcrushers! This was yet another list that I saw and told to myself “I don't want to face that”... Turns out that luck has a sense of humour! To my good fortune, Thierry is an awesome guy and the game was a pleasure to play despite his very hard list.

The final scenario was Assassination. Each enemy character killed was worth double the victory points.

Going into the game I figured there were some good news (no magic or ranged capability to annoy me) and some bad news (newhere to get points from without commiting *something* and potentially losing victory points.

The two characters of Slaanesh on Daemonic Steeds were probably the easiest source of victory points apart from the fast cavalry. So the idea was to redirect all the hard hitters, stay away from chariots for as long as possible and try to get points from the single characters and the marauder horsemen. Then a late game charge could swing the game around in my favor. Oh, getting a mountain chimera or two would certainly work, too.

SPELLS: Wildform, Amber Spear, Savage Beast of Horros, Transformation of Kadon

For such a compact chaos army, the Warriors had a lot of deployment drops, especially inconsequential stuff. Nevertheless, I managed to isolate the big bloodcrusher unit tot he left and get most chariots a minimum of 3 turns away from a charge.

Deployment looked like this in the end:

The warriors of chaos won the roll off for the first turn.

TURN 1 – Warriors of Chaos

With no magic and no shooting, the turn was brief: The left marauder horsemen charged the scouts opposite them, who fled and got away .They then tried to redirect into the wild riders, but failed and stumbled a cocuple of inches forward.

The rest of the Chaos army moved up, both Chaos Lords taking cover behind the middle obstacle.
Finally, a stray Throwing Spear managed to woulnd the lone Wild Rider Noble, which I then realized was worth 350 VP's due to the scenario!

TURN 1 – Wood Elves

With the Daemon Prince/ Chaos Lord power duo close by, I had to try and stall their advance. Enter a unit of dryads right in front of the (non-flying) DP. On the left flank the scouts rallied and the Wild Riders backed up a bit, not willing to get charged by the BSB and Exalted Hero on daemonic mounts. I decided against baiting the bit skulrusehr unit yet, since the eagles would probably be a very useful asset in late game.

In the magic phase the Amber Spear against the rightmost chariot was stopped, letting a Wildform through on the dryads against the daemon prince.

Both my gladeguard focused on one of the right-hand marauder cavalry units, only managing four kills and leaving a survivor. The waywatchers took aim at the Chaos Lord on disk, but no KB were rolled and a single wound provoked was easily saved.

Finally, the Beastweaver took aim against the Daemon Prince and caused him to use his Charmed Shield.

A small trap should the Chaos Lord decide to charge the treekin...

TURN 2 – Warriors of Chaos

The Daemon prince took the bait and charged into the dryads right in front of him. The small skullcrusher unit failed their Frenzy test and also had to charge the Dryads.
The Chaos Lord didn't fall for last turn's trap, and he chose to hover close by, threatening my advance.
On the left flank the marauder cavalry charged the scouts once more, and they fled again, stopping a couple of inches from the table edge. The rest of the chaos army advanced en masse.

In the combat phase the Daemon Prince and charging skullcrushers hit the Dryads hard, killing 7 out of 8. The last one fled and forced the frenzied Skullcrushers to pursue westwards and expose their flank to the treekin. Their pursuit took them throught the fence and caused a wound due to a failed DT test.
The daemon prince reformed.

TURN 2 – Wood Elves

The treekin took the opportunity and fell into the skullcrusher flank; I figured that with the charge and flank bonus, I had decent probabilities of depriving them of their frenzy and -why not?- break them on the charge.

In the remaining moves I focused on avoidance tactics on the left flank, leaving the three exalted heroes, three chariots and the big unit of skullcrushers without a good charge target. The left wild riders backstepped towards my battleline, and the scouts rallied.

The left eagle flew right in front of the Bloodcrushers, in an attempt to stall them and force them to overrun into the forest and away from my units.
On the right the Wild Riders went deep into the chaos deployment zone, out of reach from chariots and in a good position to counter charge should the situation arise.

In the magic phase I got 4 dice for my opponents' 3 and proceeded to cast a boosted Amber Spear on the Daemon Prince. The spell went through with irresistible force, it wounded the beast and my opponent failed his 5+ ward save. One 4+ later, the Daemon Prince vanished with an explosion and all that was left in his place was a big crater and a healthy amount of victory points for the Wood Elves!

The resulting miscast caused my Beastweaver to lose 2 caster levels and forget the Wildform and the Amber Spear. A good exchange, if you ask me.

Taking heart from this turn of events, the glade guard on the right managed to kill the last Marauder Horseman from the rightmost unit. Their counterparts managed to put a wound on the rightmost chariot.

Finally, the five waywatchers shot again at the Chaos Lord on disk. I got five hits this time, and one of the to-wound rolls came up a “6”. Thierry didn't seem too alarmed, and revealed his 3+ ward save with the Eye of Tzeentch. He then proceeded to roll a “2” for his ward save, and the Chaos Lord was no more!

*Warhammer Trivia: Contrary to popular belief, the chance of Killing blowing an “unkillable” lord with 5 Waywatchers is much higher than that of getting a Gateway auto-kill result or, for that matter, killing a Giant with a single cannon shot.*

In the combat phase things were a bit less spectacular: The treekin failed to wound the skullcrushers and got a wound back in return. The Chaos elites won combat due to musician and reformed after the treekin passed their break test.

TURN 3 – 6

With a 1500 point swing last turn, the game became an uphill struggle for the Warriors of Chaos. Here are some highlights:

The right chariot fell into the dryads, got held up after rolling a “1” for impact hits and got a wardancer troupe with Beastweaver in the flank for its troubles. The beastweaver became a Hydra and chopped the chariot up real good.

The Skullcrushers broke the treekin, failed to catch them but overran into the awaiting wardancers. These fought valiantly and even held their ground against the Skullcrushers, unfortunately.
http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/Smith ... 2.jpg.html

And I say that because it allowed the Skullcrushers to reform and charge my treekin once more, running them down in the end. By that time there was only a single Skullcrusher left.

The freak occurences continued when my Wild rider noble tried to charge through difficult terrain, failed his test and, after having lost a wound to throwing spears on the first turn, joined the ranks of countless of my mounted BSB's and Generals who lost their lives to a puddle of rain-water or something.

On the left flank the wood elves sacrificed all they could to keep the bulk of the chaos forces at bay: The Eagles both died redirecting the Skullcrushers, and the Wild riders kept dancing circles around the chariots and characters on daemonic steeds.
An unfortunate failed march test cost the Wild Riders their lives, in the end (they couldn't get away from the three chariots and BSB on Daemonic Steed. Likewise, the scouts had an untimely demise to the exalted of Khorne who charged out of his unit (bad placement on my part). In the end, the left flank looked like that:

In the closing steps of the battle, the Wardancer Lord managed a flank charge on the last Skullcrusher, gulping down his potion of strength. In the magic phase he got boosted by the Savage Beast of Horros... This brought him to 8 attacks with Strength 11 (Because, like Spinal Tap, these go up to 11 ;) ), which ensured the gory death of the Chaos Elite.

And with that, the game was over! A great second turn gave me a very large margin for error and in the end even the losses here and there were not enough to rob the Wood Elves of their win!

Victory Points:
Wood Elves: 2043
Warriors of Chaos: 1430

Wood Elves win! (12-8)
Last edited by SmithF on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joey_Boy

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Tournament Round 5

Postby Joey_Boy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:55 am

Oh! I'm looking forward to this. The new WoC are a though nut to crack, even if your opponent has a 'friendly' variant of one of the stronger builds. Swapping some of the character marks around would make it loads stronger. The good part of having your opponent fill up his army with Crushers are you can control their movement for as long as you have units to sacrifice :)

Razon

Postby Razon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Hey Smith, round 5 WoC seem to be your downfall. I really cannot see you winning this game, you're completely outgunned. If you have gotten the 1st turn it might have been different. But then again, luck does favor the bold... :D
WoC have left their right flank open, they could have used 1 horsemen unit and a chariot to keep you at bay. Maybe that is the opening you will exploit in the mid game? If you survive the WoC characetrs until then. :)
ETC Team Croatia Vampire Counts 2010 & 2014, Skaven 2011, Tomb Kings 2013. Captain for 2013, 2014, 2015.
Member of ETC FAQ.com 2011, AR.com 2012
ETC Team Serbia Orcs&Goblins 2017

frapermax

Postby frapermax » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:40 am

This is starting to get suspiciously bobo-esque...
Get out the torches people! or it will take another few weeks before Smith finishes this.
fpm

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:04 am

Yes, Smith, you are giving bad example. I even followed you by presenting only the deployment and army lists in my own report. When not so long time ago I was posting 2-3 per week. I know I can break that spell but I am worried about other forum members. By now they probably have developed some "F5-syndrome" and keep refreshing their browsers with alarmingly increasing frequency. And they cannot focus on other things! (like if they needed to but that is not important).

So, in a good old-school Mortal Combat style "FINISH HIM!". :)

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Return to “Reports from the Battlefield”