MSU in action! - 9th Age! New Battle Report!

Tales of your glorious victories and bitter defeats

Moderator: Keepers of the Peace

Beragon
Anti-Spam Filter: No
Pick number 4 to enter: 4

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) WE vs DE *COMPLETE*

Postby Beragon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:59 am

SmithF: regarding the Treeman, if you haven't tried it yet, I encourage you to do so at least once to see how it goes (assuming you have one). It may surprise you! To paraphrase some advice from the 5th edition WE army book... "deal with the warmachines and don't worry about your treemen. You'll soon see your opponents investing in ranks, heavy cavalry, and armor to defeat your army." :wink:

SmithF

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) WE vs Lizardmen!

Postby SmithF » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:07 am

THE WOOD ELF CHRONICLES: part 2

I'm really getting excited about this Wood Elf experiment: In the few games I've played so far, they have been able to dance around their pray very efficiently, and deliver the killing blow (pun kind of intended) when needed.

This time I was pitted against a nice fellow and his Lizardmen. He wanted to test an army list for a tournament he's going to, so came up with the following:

HEROES:
Slann Mage Priest, Lore of Heavens, BSB, Rumination/MR3, Banner of Swiftness
Saurus Oldblood, Fencer's Blades, Armour of Destiny, Other Trickster's Shard (?)
Saurus Scar-Veteran, Cold One, LA, Shield, Dawn Stone, Burning Blade of Chotec
Skink Priest, lvl1, Engine of the Gods, Cube of Darkness

CORE:
24 Saurus Warriors, Full Command
25 Saurus Warriors, Full Command
1 Jungle Swarm

SPECIAL:
24 Temple Guard, Full Command, Banner of Huanchi
3 Terradons
6 Chameleon Skinks
6 Chameleon Skinks

The list is written by memory, so some of the items may be a bit off. This list lacks the usual suspects of a tournament LM army, namely salamanders and a ton of skink skirmishers, but it also is a tough nut to crack with all the fighter characters and nasty magic lore.

I used the v2 of the Wood Elf army list, reposting it for clarity:
The Wild Hunt v2 - 2500 points
HEROES:
Wardancer Highborn, Blades of Loec, Potion of Strength, Dragonbane gem
Wildrider Noble, Great Stag, Spear of Twilight, Helm of the Hunt

CORE:
10 Glade Guard, musician
10 Glade Guard, Musician
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
5 Scouts

SPECIAL:
7 Wardancers, Musician, Champion
7 Wardancers, Musician
8 Wild Riders, Full Command, Banner of Swiftness
8 Wild Riders, Full Command, Banner of the Eternal Flame
3 Treekin
3 Treekin

RARE:
5 Waywatchers
Great Eagle
Great Eagle

With so few units, I was able to dictate deployment. I took extra care to limit the amount of units that were within 32” of the Slann and to space them more than 6” apart for protection from the chain lightning spell. The Lizards deployed centrally in a solid battleline, using the building and the impassable terrain to protect their flanks.

The terradons vanguarded to quit the right flank and be closer to the general while both my wild rider units advanced, ready to outflank the lizards.

The slann got Iceshard Blizzard, Harmonic Convergence, Uranon's Thunderbolt and Chain Lightning, while the priest on the engine got Wind Blast (that he kept to enable the slann to take better spells).

The lizards won the roll-off for the first turn!

TURN 1 – Lizardmen

As expected, the entire lizards army moved in unison, keeping their flanks covered and not giving any obvious targets for my units to charge next turn. The Engine of the Gods put up the 5+ ward bubble.

In the magic phase I managed to dispel the Chain Lightning on the Treekin, letting Uranon's bolt through; it did two wounds to the treekin.

TURN 1 – Wood Elves

My opponent had done a great job of denying me paths to break his battleline, so I started the dancing around routine. Both Wild rider units performed outflanking duty, ready to threaten the engine next turn. A couple of traps were set up for the saurus units: The Wardancer lord and retinue dared the Oldblood to charge, with a couple of angry dryad units on the ready to strike back should they take the bait.
To the right, an eagle blocked the path of the saurus and Cold one Scar Veteran to my shooting battery, again with a lot of units ready to countercharge if the opportunity arose.

In the shooting phase both Glade Guard units shot at the Terradons, killing a couple of them and greatly limiting their destructive power. A saurus and a chameleon skink were also dropped.

TURN 2 – Lizardmen

In a bold move, the Slann ordered a charge vs the rightmost dryads, unfurling the Banner of Huanchi and easily making it in combat! The rest of the lizardmen army wisely ignored the baits set up for them and moved a bit to limit my maneuvers next turn. The Old Blood and the Scar veteran abandoned their respective units and headed both for the Treekin in the middle. Finally, the lone terradon flew over the right Wild Riders and killed one with a rock.

The magic phase roll saw me get a couple of dispel dice vs 4 power dice for the slann. The resulting magic phase was unstoppable: The blizzard went off on the Treekin with Stag hero, a Harmonic Convergence Bubble also went off and, finally, Uranon's Thunderbolt put a wound on right Treekin.
The Engine of the Gods fried the nearby eagle.

In the combat phase the Temple Guard killed 5 dryads for 3 casualties back, but failed to catch them when they fled. This left them stranded on the hill, with the wardancers and Treekin looking angrily at them...

TURN 2 – Wood Elves

The turn opened with a double flank charge, from Treekin and Wardancers, on the Temple guard and co. While breaking them was not really an option, I'd be able to grind them down over the course of a few turns. The right wild riders would make sure the saurus warriors were left out of the game for a while.
The treekin inside the forest charged against the Engine of the Gods, in an attempt to escape the incoming Lizard character duo. Unfortunately, the failed to reach their target. The middle dryads went into the jungle swarm.

In the remaining moves the right wild riders failed their march test and so would not be able to redirect the Saurus warriors looking directly at the Treekin/Stag's flank... The other unit moved past the building and ended up in the rear of the lizardmen army, staring at the Engine of the Gods.

Shooting saw me try to Killing Blow the Saurus Oldblood with my waywatchers, but failing. The Glade Guard dealt with the last Terradon.

The dryads in combat with the Jungle Swarm failed horribly and only did 3 wounds with their 9 attacks. They received 3 poisoned wounds in return, but at least the combat resolution ensured that the swarm crumbled. Thanks to the FAQ, no overrun could be had and so the Oldblood had to be contained by a reform.
In the main event the Wardancers danced for an extra attack but between their 16 attacks, the treekin/Stag's 13 s5 attacks and 4 s5 stomps only 5 temple guard died. Bolstered by Harmonic Convergence, they killed 3 wardancers and a Treekin in return. To my surprise, I had lost that combat by a hefty amount. The Wardancers managed to pass their leadership test, allowing my treekin to flee to relative safety.

TURN 3 - Lizardmen

The Scar Veteran fell upon the treekin and the Saurus warriors to the left charged the eagle bait. The right Saurus didn't try to charge the treekin, as there was no way they'd go off the field with their flee roll.

Magic saw the slann cast the Blizzard on the left Treekin in combat with the Scar Veteran. The Thunderbolt was stopped and the Chain Lightning failed to cast vs the fleeing treekin. The EotG tried to zap the 5-strong dryads, but burning alignment didn't have enough range. In the shooting phase two wild Riders were killed by chameleon darts.

In combat the eagle received two wounds and was forced to flee, its saurus assailants reforming. The Temple guard bypassed the 4+ wardancer ward and eliminated the unit. Finally, the Scar Veteran dropped a single Treekin with his attacks, and forced the remaining ones to flee. They got away, surprisingly, leaving the Scar Veteran right in front of the Wardancer Lord.

TURN 3 – Wood Elves

The leftmost dryads took the opportunity to flank the recently reformed saurus warriors. The Wardancer Highborn and his retinue fell upon the Scar Veteran on Cold one. Finally, the left Wild Riders flanked the Engine of the Gods.

The left Treekin failed to rally and carried on fleeing, while the Stag Hero managed to rally his group of tree spirits. In the remaining moves the focus was setting up a trap for the rightmost saurus warriors (with Treekin, Wild Riders, Dryads and Scouts) and keeping the Temple Guard isolated and occupied.

Shooting amounted for a couple of casualties on each chameleon unit, as well as four dead saurus from the rightmost unit.

The Wild Riders directed all of their attacks on the skink priest, managing to kill him. The stegadon retaliated by killing two of the riders, and then passed its ld6 stubborn test. The flanking dryads vs left saurus failed to impress, only killing a single warrior for three casualties back! They held their ground, at least, but this allowed the saurus to reform and face them.

Finally, the Wardancer Lord killing blowed the Scar Veteran, bypassing his 1+ save with reroll altogether.

TURN 4 - Lizardmen

This turn the lizards decided not to take any of my baits and opted instead to reform the Temple Guard and move the oldblood towards the right flank. The top Chameleons repositioned towards the centre.
In the magic phase the slann managed to irresistibly cast the Chain Lightning (and warded the subsequent wound) on the three remaining dryads, killing them all and panicking the nearby scouts. The spell then zapped the treekin for a wound and stopped.

In the combat phase the dryad/saurus fight continued, with 3 lizards and two tree spirits dying. The survivors held their ground. More importantly, the stegadon only managed a single wound against the Wild riders, failed its stubborn test and was ran down.

TURN 4 - Wood Elves

This turn the top Wild Riders rear charged the saurus, with the Treekin falling to their front. The leftmost dryads failed their charge against the saurus rear, and the chameleon skinks fled a charge from the Wardancer Highborn and co, to avoid a possible overrun into the Oldblood. This put them directly in the path of my smaller wild Rider unit that was supposed to be flanking the saurus, but on the bright side it would also prevent the Oldblood from charging next turn.

The Eagle and the Scouts both failed their rally tests and fled off the field, but thankfully the treekin to the left rallied.

Shooting saw the waywatchers kill the leftmost chameleons and the two units of Glade Guard teamed up to kill a grand total of 3 Temple Guard.

In combat the left saurus made short work of the dryads. The combined treekin and Wild Rider charge felled 8 Saurus for a single wound on the treekin back, mainly thanks to a failed fear test from the saurus. They passed their break test, unfortunately, leaving my treekin exposed to the unavoidable flank charge from the Temple Guard.

TURN 5 - Lizards

Pretty straightforward turn, here: The left saurus flank charged the Wardancers, and the Temple Guard flanked the Treekin. The Chameleons rallied.
The Slann succeeded in casting the Blizzard on the Treekin.
The Wardancer highborn did the ASF dance and, boosted by rerolls on to hit and to wound, managed to drop 3 Saurus warriors before they got to strike. These failed to do any wounds back in return and the Wardancers reformed.
The other combat didn't go that well, the Temple guard smashed into the treekin and killed one, forcing the survivors to flee. The combined efforts of the Wild Riders and the Treekin (before they fled) killed 5 more saurus, for 4 casualties vs the Wild Riders! The latter held their ground.

TURN 5 - Wood Elves

The Treekin and Dryads double charged the already engaged Saurus regiment to the left, Wardancer Highborn drank his potion of Strength. The 3-strong Wild riders flanked the other saurus unit. The Treekin rallied yet again.
The shooting only managed to kill 2 chameleons.
In combat, both saurus warrior units were whittled down but held their ground.

TURN 6

To wrap it all up, the Oldblood charged into the flanking Wild Riders and the Slann and co failed their charge against the rallied treekin. magic didn't do much for the last turn and combat saw both saurus units annihilated. The Saurus Oldblood managed to kill all of the wild riders from the flanking unit, after killing the champion in a challenge first.

In the final round of shooting the waywatchers dealt with the remaining chameleons and whittled down the Temple Guard to 5 models strong. And with that, the wood elf victory was sealed!

Final VP's
Lizardmen: 794
Wood Elves: 1496

Hope you enjoyed this, aftermath to come sometime soon!

Smith

Probe

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) WE vs Lizardmen! *COMPLETE*

Postby Probe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Well, I see your victory before my eyes, but my brain refuses to accept it :). After seeing your bounce from TG combat in round 2 I've thought "there breaks down the fragile WE..." Boy I was wrong... Nice played.
It is clear I do not understand how this WE list works :). Speaking on LM - kudos to the LM player as he did came out for the fight and for a good game. Playing for the win in tournament he could stay in his very good deployment position and play to his strengths (magic? :)) for a few more turns - chameleons, terradons, stegadon and saurus hero on COK should keep his rear clear from your flankers. There would be time to whittle down your units with magic (and more focused position is so much more dangerous for burning alignment) and difficult time for WE to get points from saurus blocks...
Of course it is easy to advice from retrospective and the game would be more dull that way :)

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:38 pm

Very nice! I like how this report emphasises that it can sometimes be really difficult to get points from this style of army: sure, you can beat their units one-on-one, but wiping them out is hard, and then when they break, do you chase them and try and get the points from the small unit and set yourself up for a fall, or do you let them go and so get nothing for your troubles? Sneaky tree-things.

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Hey, thanks for the replies, guys!

I think that you both pointed out what gave my wood elves a fighting chance:
1. The lizardmen breaking formation and leaving half of the army outside BSB and Slann Ld bubble.
2. The units broken in combat rallying and denying points. What Daniel points out is correct, with careful placement of other support units one can force his opponent to reform instead of pursuing into a bad position after winning combat. I use my dryads this way quite often, setting them up for an assassination attempt and blocking the enemy, while the rest of the army is eagerly waiting behind them for a multi counter-charge if the opponent pursues.

I've played some more games with the Wood Elves, and another report will come your way shortly! The lists keep changing and I keep trying stuff out. I'll keep all of you posted.

Next up:

Wood Elves vs Dwarves!

SmithF

MSU in action! (2500 - pics) WE vs Dwarves! *teaser*

Postby SmithF » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:38 am

Dwarves always seem to be a problematic matchup for elves, in general. Their reliable shooting and castling tactics make them hard to counter and get points off, so a good test for my Woodies would be a game against the stunties!

My opponent brought the following list

Dwarves - 2500
HEROES:
Runelord, defensive stuff and 75 points' worth of antimagic
Thane, BSB, 1+ save with reroll
Master Engineer, brace of pistols
Thane, Master rune of Challenge, RUne of Brotherhood, stuff
CORE:
30 Quareller Rangers, GW, Full Command
10 Thunderers
10 Thunderers

SPECIAL:
30 Hammerers, Full Command
Cannon, Engineer, Rune of Forging, Rune of Burning
Cannon, Engineer, Rune of Forging
Stone Thrower, Engineer, Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Penetrating
Stone Thrower, Engineer, Rune of Accuracy, 2x Rune of Penetrating

RARE:
Gyrocopter

So an army with an excessive amount of shooting and a couple of tough blocks to fight off any survivors. I was 75 points ahead in the game, given the fact that my list had no magic to speak of, so I'd have to hope that would be enough!

I got to pick sides, and opted for the side that had more cover for my eagles and wild rider noble. They were the only easy targets for the cannons and I wasn't keen on sacrificing them early on.

To minimize the effect of stone throwers, I went for very wide formations, ensuring that 2-3 models tops would be hit by the template. My opponent opted to castle on the top left corner.

The dwarves easily won the roll off for the first turn.

TURN 1 – Dwarves

With minor shuffling from the hammerers and the gyrocopter moving up to prevent the wild riders from getting to the warmachines from turn 1, the dwarves commenced shooting.

The Rangers opened fire against the scouts, but the combination of long range and skirmishing meant that only 3 elves died and the rest passed their panic. One stone thrower veered off target and the other one misfired in spite of the engineer reroll and wouldn't be able to fire in the next turn. The cannons only managed to kill a single dryad.

With an underwhelming first shooting phase, the dwarf turn came to a close.

TURN 1 – Wood Elves

Using the hills and the woods as cover, the Asrai moved up. The scouts moved to block the Rangers. The rightmost wild riders moved within charge range of the right cannon, and the left wild riders prepared to threaten the main dwarven shooting battery.

Shooting saw the waywatchers put a wound on the left cannon and the glade guard wound the gyrocopter once.

*no picture here, forgot to take one*

TURN 2 – Dwarves

The Rangers charged the scouts, who fled. This allowed the Rangers to redirect into the left wardancers, due to bad positioning on my part. What's more, their placement meant that when they broke, the Rangers could overrun into the dryads' flank. (not necessarily a bad thing, given their stuboorn status in forests). The gyrocopter flew next to the waywatchers and flamed a couple of them.

Another error that I commited last turn became apparent in the shooting phase: I had moved the left wild riders within 12” of the cannon they intended to charge, opening up the opportunity for Grapeshot. My opponent obliginly rolled a “10” on the artillery and managed to kill 5 of my riders with his bs4 shots. A total of 4 dryads died to catapult and cannon fire. This allowed me to remove casualties in such a way so as to avoid the aforementioned overrun from Rangers.

In combat the Rangers easily killed 5 dancers, leaving the two survivors flee to safety and reforming to face the main wood elf force.

TURN 2 – Wood Elves

The right Wild Riders charged into the cannon and the right eagle went into the gyrocopter. The Ranger Thane used his rune of challenge on the Glade guard on the hill; these opted to flee rather than give the dwarves an out of sequesnce reform, and fled off the table. The other wild riders maneuvered past the gyrocopter and next the warmachines, ready to charge next turn. The waywatchers also moved in past the hammerers. In the middle of the board the now isolated rangers provided a good target, and the second eagle moved to block them and ensure they'd stay in place for next turn's multi-charge.

Shooting saw me kill one Thunderer, and the combat didn't prove to be more spectacular: The eagle and gyrocopter fought to a stantstill and the wild riders completely fluffed their attacks and stayed put against the cannon.

TURN 3 – Dwarves

The Rangers charged the eagle right in front of them.
In the shooting phase the left cannon tried to reproduce the feat of its counterpart, but only killed two Wild Riders with Grapeshot, while the thunderers in the house and master engineer dropped another two. A big boulder landed straight on the treekin and killed one directly.

Combat saw the eagle die horriby, but not before killing the Ranger Champion. The Rangers overran towards the Treekin, falling an inch short of them. The Gyrocopter managed a wound on the eagle, but the bird held its ground. The Wild Riders performed a lot better than last turn, dealing three wounds to the cannon and leaving just the engineer standing.

TURN 3 – Wood Elves

It was time for the Asrai to spring the trap: Both Dryad units rear charged the Rangers, the two wardancer survivors flanked them and the 3-strong Treekin unit fell upon them as well. The Wild riders went for the rightmost grudge thrower and the Waywatchers for the cannon. All units made it into combat!

Shooting amounted for another dead thunderer in the GG/Thunderer stand-off. In combat the charging wild riders wiped out the catapult and pursued into the Master Engineer. The Waywatchers killed off the cannon in a single round of combat, which was impressive.
On the other hand, the cannon/wild rider combat to the right kept going, with neither side managing a wound. The gyrocopter killed off the eagle with two lucky blows.

In the main event, the combined efforts of the Dryads and the Treekin lowered the Rangers to just one rank, meaning that they were no longer steadfast. Add to that the fact that the flanking Wardancers Killing Blowed the Thane, and you've got a Ranger unit running away! They were caught by the lone Wardancer Champion.

TURN 4 – 6

Not much happened from then on, the Wild Riders dealt with the Master Engineer and the catapult while the other unit finally killed off the cannon. The gyrocopter was ran down in exchange for a Dryad unit sacrificed in front of the Hammerers. A dryad flank charge dealt with one unit of Thunderers, while the other ran away in panic, sealing the victory for the Wood Elves.

In the end the battlefield looked like this:

Wood Elves win!

AFTERMATH:

This went rather well, I was able to get to the machines by turn 2 and start hacking away while the rest of the army danced around and got points here and there. The Ranger combat gave me a 500 point boost that allowed me the luxury of not engaging the Hammerers. Treekin + Wardancers + Dryads could have done the trick, but at what cost?

Deployment played a very important role in this game: The fact that Thunderers were isolated and that the Rangers could not effectively block my path to the warmachines dictated the game and allowed me to get the win.

There you go, another battle report with the Woodies! I hope you liked it, list update coming soon!

Smith

SmithF

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) WE vs Dwarves! *COMPLETE!*

Postby SmithF » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:07 pm

List update and random musings:

So, having taken the big step of getting myself a Wood Elf army, I've been trying out different builds for them. So far I have played around 12 games and most of them were very enjoyable, close fought matches that ended in my favor. I've tried going no magic, using a spirit sword Highborn, going with a combat mage and, finally, gunning for originality points and bringing a Wizarding Hat Wardancer Highborn!

Here's some general observations on the Wood Elf list and its advantages/disadvantages:

+ Mobility: Sure, this isn't the 7th edition anymore, but the Woodies still have what it takes to dance around the enemy all game long. With a bit of caution, you can ensure that you'll only get into the combats you want to.

+ Anti-character: The amount of Killing Blow in the list makes it relatively easy to get a big chunk of points in one go, by killing blowing expensive characters. The Wardancer Highborn with Blades of Loec makes this seem easy, but even normal wardancers will do a good job most of the time.

+ Lots of attacks, small frontage: With most of the units getting two attacks per model, you can combine flank charges and still get a very decent number of attacks. The downside to this is that nothing can re-roll to hit, meaning that you're more susceptible to "rubber lance syndrome".

+ No good cannon targets: By forgoing the Treeman, you make sure that nothing in your army is a good target for Warmachines, barring the Organ Gun. This gives an advantage over gunline armies, especially coupled with the speed and hard hittiness of the wood elf shock troops.

- Magic: With the low level wizards limited to lore of Athel Loren, you either get a Beastweaver or you leave magic alone. Which is a pity, since I enjoyed running two Highborns in my lists.

- No good answer to 1+ save monstrous cavalry: Wood Elves can deal with knights and the such, thanks to the killing blow rule and their maneuver antics. But dealing with monstrous cavalry is another thing, and I haven't been able to do it so far without committing a disproportionate amount of resources to it.

So here's the list I've used in my last couple of games, it has worked fairly well:

Wood Elves - 2500
HEROES:
Wardancer Highborn, Wizarding Hat
Beastweaver, lvl4
Wardancer Noble, Blades of Loec

CORE:
10 Glade Guard, Musician
10 Glade Guard, Musician
5 Scouts
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
8 Dryads

SPECIAL:
7 Wardancers, Champion, Musician
7 Wardancers, Musician
7 Wild Riders, Standard, Musician, Banner of Swiftness
7 Wild Riders, Standard, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame
4 Treekin

RARE:
5 Waywatchers
Great Eagle
Great Eagle

Oddly enough, the Wizarding Hat Highborn is a very useful - if expensive - addition to the list: All of the BRB lores come in handy in the context of the list, meaning that I can get a spell or two off and potentially draw the scroll early on. This leaves the Beastweaver free to cast Beast of Horros in the closing steps of the game. And one thing you don't want hitting your lines is a boosted Wardancer Character with the Blades of Loec.

I'm limited in terms of miniatures available, but I do enjoy the variety in the list: A total of 30 bows is more than enough to soften up some targets while I dance around and get into position. They also represent a very small part of my army, so the enemy usually leaves them alone and they survive the battle.

Another interesting observation is that Wild Riders are probably one of the best cavalry units out there; they are hard hitting and maneuverable at the same time, a perfect target for Wildform and taking them in biggish units means that they survive the battle more often than not. They provide a solution to anything that stomps its way to victory, can easily get the jump on chariots and earn their points back.

So there you have it, a new list! Looking forward to reading your thoughts on it!

Take care,

Smith

Targ Ironfist

Postby Targ Ironfist » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:05 am

Hi SmithF,

thank you for more of your great batreps. There is a lot of fun to be had from reading them.

Your battle against lizzards: Interesting one. I would have loved to see how you would have approached the problem of pulling his line apart should he have chosen to keep coherent and maximise his potential. (The opponent was quite solid and that made it an even more interesting read.)

Against Dawi: Sorry, but your opponent played poorly. He chose a super shooty dawi army with relative lack of combat troops and then opened his formation. After you played him for fool as he deserved. There is not much more to be said. With opening his formation he invited your army to the dinner. And you said: "O thank you!" :(

Should you desire a real challenge with your pointy ears, you would try out my throng. :8) :mrgreen: (It is not specialy tuned on against elgi, but a solid throng that could you give some challenge...)

Thank you once more.

With regards

Swordmaster
Pick number 4 to enter: 1

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:50 am

Hi Smith!

Thanks for the reports! I haven't read them in details yet but the diagrams showed me the story and I really like what I saw! I am sure there is a lot for me to learn from these games and I will definitely come back to those games.

You have to forgive me, however, that I do not post much in your fantastic topic as I am currently trying to finish my own reports before the memory fades away. Even with pictures I need to recreate 10 more games :shock: , so it is quite challenging.

But fear not, I will be coming with questions as usual! Keep up the good work, you make WE proud! :)

Cheers!
Blog: Path of an Outcast

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Battle Log with shortcuts to Battle Reports: HE MSU
Article on HE MSU: HE MSU - Observations
Rate my Battle Reports at: Sigmar's Fantasy Battles

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?

Klimpen

Postby Klimpen » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:53 am

I just want to add my thanks for these reports. Well exequted and very entertaining.

Joey_Boy

Postby Joey_Boy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:04 pm

I look forward to reading more about how the wizardhat works out for you. I'll not knock it since Iv never tried it. I prefer to tool my HB's out for killing monsters and monster cav, this is normally done with Bow of Loren/Bodkins or by tooling him out for CC and sitting on an Eagle.

I was looking at the wardancer noble. I think he is fun to play with, but you could swap him for another unit of wardancers that would have more KB attacks if your trying to assassinate a character or just add another combat unit to lay down the hurt on a unit.

The scouts are not a favorite unit of mine, I prefer running an extra unit of waywatchers instead(since your not using the scouts as a wizard bunker) for a little more points you gain so much. and have a deterrent against flying heroes on both flanks.

TreeKin. I really dislike them, but they work for others so I guess there is merit to the unit. I just find them lacking when fighting anything with ws4 or higher. Also anything with flaming or that causes an initiative test will end badly. I have a newfound love for eagle characters as deliverers of high strength attacks. They have more mobility and can tank damage really well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can do with the list, you have some fun choices there and I'm looking forward to seeing how they work out. :)
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Come on over and discuss the MSU fun time with us!
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22678

Calimehter

Postby Calimehter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:45 am

First time commenting in this long-running thread. Thanks for all the hard work writing these up for us, especially these last few reports about MSU wood elves, which I have been toying with in list form for a while now. Nice to see all the action and analysis.

I'm a bit jealous that you've put up reports about the Wardancer Lord with Wizarding Hat, as I have also been looking at it and had high hopes for it. A character with built in attack boosts and wards is a perfect fit as you will ever get for it, and its awfully nice to get access to book lores (however random it might be) for a list starved for good non-lord spell options. I've always wanted to bring a d8 to a Warhammer fight, too, just to see if anyone would ask me what it was for before rolling for spells. :8)

Having used the Wizarding Hat, do you have any temptation to use it on a Grandmaster in an Empire list?? He's also got good defences and helpful abilities "built in", though in this case Empire does have better access to nasty rulebook lores than WE do.

Joey_Boy

Postby Joey_Boy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:31 am

Just a quick thought that might fit your play style Smith. 2 units of 10 Eternal Guard, with the musician for swift-reforms in units of 10 guys. Run them 2 wide, 5 deep, and change your Wardancer characters to Eagle characters. The 40mm base of eagles allow you to move up with the EG on there own and then use the 20" move of the eagles to join up and push to the front. This can give you stubborn anvils with T4, 3W characters sporting fashionable 4+/3+ ward saves as the only target for the enemy unit to attack. Then you have a plethora of tricky items to mess around with, the -2 to hit combo, or the locus removing any strength bonus of the enemy(s4/5 characters ain't that6 nasty) while you have beast magic to boost your stats where needed.

And if your not a fan of eagles I think you should play around with a wildrider noble with the moonstone to teleport the TK unit across the table and allow even more movement shenanigans :)

Kristian

Postby Kristian » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:37 pm

Eagles come on 50mm bases :(

Cheers
Kristian
Thats gonna hurt come winter.....

Joey_Boy

Postby Joey_Boy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Kristian wrote:Eagles come on 50mm bases :(

Cheers
Kristian

It depends on what eagle you buy. I had 40mm delivered with mine when I bought them.

SmithF

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Tournament Prelude

Postby SmithF » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:20 pm

Hey guys! Thanks for the interesting input and all the comments!

I've been quite busy with real life lately, plus...I've taken the big step and signed my wood elves up for a tournament this weekend! So some painting was had (pictures will follow) and a 2688 point (don't ask..) wood elf list was built!

The tournament I'll be attending is the second biggest in Belgium, 5 games over 2 days! The rulespack is interesting, has no comp but uses scenarios to spice things up and hopefully balance armies out a bit.

I hope I'll have time to take pictures from the games, so as to bring you reports with actual pictures, for once!

So, without further ado, here's my list:

Army List – Wood Elves 2688 points

LORDS:

-Highborn, Wardancer Kindred, Blades of Loec, Potion of Strength, Annoyance of Netlings (275)

-Spellweaver, Lvl4, Lore of Beasts, Stone of Rebirth, Healing Potion, Dispel Scroll (340)

-Wild Rider Noble, Spear of Twilight, Dragonbane Gem, Other Trickster's Shard (172)

CORE:

-8 Dryads (96)
-8 Dryads (96)
-8 Dryads (96)
-10 Glade Guard, Standard, Musician, Gleaming Pendant (143)
-10 Glade Guard, Standard, Musician (138)
-6 Scouts, Musician (108)

SPECIAL:

-7 Wardancers, Champion, Musician (147)
-7 Wardancers, Musician (133)
-7 Wild Riders, Full Command, Banner of Swiftness (233)
-7 Wild Riders, Standard, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame (210)
-4 Treekin, Champion (280)

RARE:
-5 Waywatchers (120)
- Great Eagle (50)
- Great Eagle (50)

TOTAL: 2687 points

I'll be updating this on Sunday with the first pics and some first impressions, so wish me luck!

Cheers,

Smith

Targ Ironfist

Postby Targ Ironfist » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:51 am

Hi SmithF,

Sunday is gone and no report for my Monday´s morning cofee. Terrible.
Will note a grudge against You! Harrr...

Btw. Was keeping my fingers crossed for You, so hopefully it did no harm. :8)
(Should You have had terrible misfortune in the tourney, You know whom to blame!)

With regards

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:52 pm

So, an interesting fact about Belgium is that most active gaming clubs are situated outside the capital; the Séides d'Azarh is one such club, that holds each year one of the largest tournaments in the country. They are based in Louvain La Neuve and were to be our very friendly hosts for this tournament weekend.

A few words regarding the tournament rulespack: The point limit was set at 2688 points, which is a weird points limit but opens up some very interesting possibilities for some of the armies. And by interesting I mean deadly combinations such as 2 Kdaii Destroyers! There was no composition scoring for the armies, save for a blanket ban of all special characters.

Instead, the organizers used scenarios to try and level the field:
1. Objectives: 5 objectives on the field, each one controled at the end of the game gets you +100 points, +200 if the controlling unit has a banner.
2. Control: The table is divided in 9 24"x16" sections, the purpose of the game is to control sectors at the end, no victory points apply (just "section points").
3. Pitched Battle
4. Capture the familiars: 5 familiars get deployed in the midline, equal spacing between them. You need to capture as many as possible, by charging and running them down like a fleeing unit. In the meantime, they scatter each turn d6".
5. Assassination: Pitched battle, all characters killed award double victory points.

In my opinion these are very well thought out scenarios, each providing a different tactical challenge and making games more interesting than your run-of-the-mill pitched battle.

The downside of this rulespack was that people felt free to take the hardest armies they could think of, and thus when we entered the venue we were faced with very hard lists containing double Steam Tanks, double Hydras, double Kdaiis and so on and so forth! Thankfully, a lot of the armies were very well painted and a joy to behold.

Mine wasn't that bad, either, courtesy of deadmeat30

For the first game I was drawn against Christophe and his beautifully painted High Elves. He had a list that was directly influenced by Seredain's Cavalry Prince list and rocking Shadow Magic.

LORDS:
Prince, Barded Warhorse, Dragon Armour, Helm of Fortune, Giant Blade, OtS
Archmage, lvl4, Shadow, Talisman of Saphery, Folaraith's Robe, Dispel Scroll

HEROES:
Noble, BSB, Barded Warhorse, Heavy Armour, Dragon Helm, Dawnstone, GW

CORE:
23 First Archers, Standard, Musician, Flaming Banner
10 Archers, Musician
30 Spearmen, Standard, Musician

SPECIAL:
8 Silver Helms, Shields, Standard, Musician
5 Dragon Princes
24 White Lions, Standard, Musician, Banner of Sorcery
17 Swordmasters, Standard, Musician

RARE:
2 Great Eagles

This game's objectives were marked by the goblins, two in each deployment zone and one dead centre. Controlling these by the end of the game would award +100 points or +200 if the unit controlling them has a banner.

Having a lot more deployment drops than my adversary, I was able to isolate the White Lions and archer blocks who could easily mess up my small units, focusing on the right hand flank where Swordmasters and Dragon Princes were located.

Positioning after vanguard moves

A heavily weighed right flank.

SPELLS:
Shadow Archmage: Miasma, Enfeebling, Withering, Pit of Shades
Beastweaver: Wildform, Curse of Aranheir, Beast of Horros, Transformation of Kadon

TURN 1
The High Elves got the first turn and opened the game with a charge from the dragon princes into my Waywatchers, who fled. The elven cavalry tried to redirect into my wild riders, but fell short and stumbled forward, pinning the swordmasters behind them. The cavalry prince bus swift reformed and moved towards the right flank, white lions and spearmen advanced.
In the magic phase the archmage irresistibly cast a withering on my left Wild Riders, lowering their toughness to 1. The miscast killed 5 lions and wounded the archmage, a fair trade as far as I was concerned!
The small archers moved up the hill and their shooting killed four Wild Riders from the withered unit, leaving just the command group.

In my turn I opted for a cautious approach: The left wild riders and scouts maneuvered behind the hill, in the centre the dryads and wardancers kept a safe distance from the white lions and to the right the eagle flew in front of the swift wild riders, with the rest of the army setting up traps should the elven cavalry dare charge.
The fleeing waywatchers rallied in front of the advancing spearmen.

Magic drew the scroll with a casting of Wildform on the right Wild Riders, but shooting saw the scouts deal 4 wounds on the archers on the hill, panicking them!

TURN 2 – High Elves
The spearmen charged the waywatchers, who fled once more; they would fail to rally and flee off the table. The Dragon Princes fell upon the eagle, who held.
The fleeing archers failed to rally and fled through the big archer block and very close to the table edge.
The rest of the High elven army advanced:

In magic disaster struck once more, since Christophe miscast once more while casting miasma on my left wild riders! The resulting Calamitous detonation killed a further 7 White Lions and panicked the unit, which fled towards the centre of the table.

In the combat phase the dragon princes predictably killed the eagle and overran into the wild riders behind it.

TURN 2 – Wood Elves

A couple of very interesting opportunities arose, thanks to last turn's miscast: The scouts to the left charged the fleeing lions, propelling them closer to the wardancers in the middle, who charged them again. Their flee path took them straight through the flaming archers and the fleeing smaller unit, but unfortunately for me they stayed on table for a fragment of an inch!
To the right, the (bad) positioning of my units meant that the treekin could only charge the flank of the dragon princes if the dryads in front of them charged as well. These promptly declared a charge against the Silverhelm Bus, but they didn't roll enough for their failed charge to allow the treekin to fit through the gap, leaving my Fast Cavalry alone to fend off the Dragon Princes!

To the left, the wild riders perfomed an outflanking maneuver, threatening the flank of the archer horde.

Magic saw me successfully cast Curse of Aranheir on the Silver Helms, while the wildform was dispelled. The glade guard focused their shooting on the Swordmasters, felling 3 of them.

In combat the Dragon Princes couldn't penetrate the Wild Rider defenses, only killing one. The forest spirits retaliated and killed a single prince. The chargers lost combat, but easily held their ground.

TURN 3 – High Elves

The Silverhelm Bus charged the dryads that had failed to charge them last turn, didn't suffer any wounds from the curse of aranheir, killed all and reformed to face the rest of the wood elf army. The fleeing archers fled off the table, but the White Lions rallied and kept the high elves in the game. The spearmen charged the leftmost glade guard unit and ran them down, stopping right at the table edge.
Finally, the big archers reformed and shot at the wild riders, this time only killing a couple of them after some impressive saves.

The dragon prince/Wild Rider combat was yet again a draw, with a single casualty dealt from the princes, for none back from the riders.

TURN 3 – Wood Elves

This turn the treekin fell upon the flank of the dragon princes, hoping it would not be too late.
To the left, the remaining wild rider champion and Noble maneuvered into the flank of the flaming archers (but still within LoS, due to an error in positioning)
The remaining eagle and dryads combined their efforts to pin the spearmen in place.

Spearmen are pinned and can only reform.

In the magic phase a failed casting of Wildform on the treekin resulted in a premature end for my casting efforts.
The dragon princes made a lot of saves this turn, lost only a couple of their number and held their ground thanks to their general's Inspiring Presence.
The treekin reformed to 4-wide, effectively blocking the Silverhelm Bus.

TURN 4 – High Elves

The bus charged into the treekin flank, swordmasters and white lions repositioned. The Burning Archer charged against the remaining 4 Wild Riders to the left. The spearmen reformed to face east, towards the eagle blocking them. The Swordmasters moved towards the central objective.

Magic resulted in a withered wild rider noble, with the enfeebling and miasma getting dispelled.

Combat saw the Wild Rider Noble and Champion kill enough archers to counter the 2 casualties dealt from the archers, then managed to pass their Break Test.
In the big combat, the combined efforts of the treekin and wild riders finally killed off all the dragon princes, while the Treekin Champion distracted the Elven Prince in a challenge and only suffered two wounds!

Combat resolution was heavily in favor of the High Elves, still, and the treekin failed their break test. They fled a total of 7”, with the Silver Helms going a measly 4” and even failing to contact the now unengaged Wild Riders.

TURN 4 – Wood Elves

Last turn's pursuit fiasco meant that the silver helms had left their flank open to a 7+ charge from the Wardancer Highborn and co. He drank his potion of strength, and charged in...failing to make contact. The Scouts flank charged the flaming archers, to help even that combat out.

The Treekin rallied and the unengaged wild riders maneuvered past the Silver Helm Bus and right into the objective behind the Swordmasters (20” movement can get you anywhere!). The dryads and wardancers in the centre moved towards the central objective.

Magic was yet again ineffective, mostly due to bad rolls on my part. The shooting of the Glade Guard killed some more Swordmasters, leaving only 11 alive.

The Wild Rider/ Archer combat continued, with the archers killing a couple of scouts and the wild rider champion, suffering in return a massive 5 wounds, but holding their ground.

TURN 5 – High Elves

The Silverhelm Bus charged again into the treekin, the Spearmen charged the blocking eagle. The Swordmasters were too far to attempt to charge the wardancers, and so decided to reform and try to defend the top right objective. The White Lions tried a long charge into the scouts' flank, in order to save the archers, but failed. One High Elf eagle got out of his hiding place and headed for the bottom left objective, which he would contact next turn.

Magic drew my scroll and was effectively shut down.

Combat was yet again eventful: The Wild Rider Noble and the flanking scouts managed to drop the archers under the steadfast threshold and were ran down. The treekin champion once more challenged and was cut down by the BSB this time. The rest of the cavalry killed another treekin, but the survivors dropped three silverhelms and managed to hold their ground thanks to the proximity of the Wood Elf general.

TURN 5 – Wood Elves

The Wardancer Lord and retinue now charged into the Silverhelms' flank, making it in combat. The Noble and scouts came back from pursuit and maneuvered to avoid the white lions. The other wardancers moved to secure the middle objective, the Wild Riders hid from the Swordmasters and the dryads moved back to intercept the eagle going for the bottom left objective.

In the magic phase I failed to cast wildform on the treekin, ending my magic phase.

Shooting failed to do much against the swordmasters this time.

In the combat phase the Prince challenged, and my Beastweaver stepped up to meet him. He suffered four wounds, but his stone of Rebirth kicked in and saved him, leaving him on one wound. The Wardancers and Highborn were thus free to killing blow three more Silver Helms, leaving just the BSB and unit Standard. The Silver Helms passed their break test and held their ground.

TURN 6 – High Elves

Some maneuvering was had, the lone mage refrained from charging my wardancers despite his invulnerability to their attacks, fearing dryad retaliation. The Eagle got into the bottom left
objective and magic was largely inconsequential.

In the combat phase the BSB and treekin fought to a standstill, while the Beastweaver dodged his way to safety in the challenge, thanks to his 2+ ward save.

TURN 6 – Wood Elves

In the closing steps of the game, I made sure all the High Elf objectives were contested by my units, securing two for myself (middle and bottom right). The Beastweaver drank his healing potion, returning to his initial 3 wounds.
In the magic phase I got 6 dice, and chucked them all at Transformation of Kadon, getting an irresistible force and turning into a Mountain Chimera (or Revered Treeman, as I called him).

The challenge dynamic suddenly changed, and, 22 S7 poisoned attacks later, the High Elf Prince was turned into a pulp with some wounds to spare. This was too much for the Elven BSB, who decided he had seen enough and ran away.

And with a 1000 point swing, the game ended in favor of the Wood Elves!

Victory Points
Wood Elves: 1435 + 300 (Objectives)
High Elves: 738

End result 14 – 6

AFTERMATH:

High Elves are always a tough matchup for my Wood Elves, since the usual assassination tactics don't work and frontally charing even archers ends in a disaster.
My initial plan of isolating a part of the elven force and hitting it with everything I had while I delayed the rest worked wonderfully, with the help of the failed panic tests from the High Elves.

Bad positioning of my units early on (in terms of charge lanes and angling) meant that I relinquished my initial advantage. I blame early wake up calls and the fact that I hadn't actually played a game on a real table for a couple of years or so.

Christophe's dice betrayed him in a couple of crucial moments, but I feel that this was counteracted by my failed flank charge from the Wardancer Lord's retinue into the silver helm flank, which could have ended the game then and there.

In the end, my small units managed to stay alive while taking points here and there, and winning in true wood elf fashion!

Highlights:

1. The Treekin champion holding his ground against the Cavalry Prince!
2. The Wild Rider Noble munching through 23 archers over 4 turns, staying alive thanks to the Dragonbane Gem.
3. Two miscasts from the Archmage killing half the White Lion unit.
4. Beastweaver dodging everything the Cavalry Prince had to throw at him, before finally turning into a Mountain Chimera and making mincemeat out of the noble elf!

So there you have it, first game done!

Next up I would be facing....

DARK ELVES!

K-OS Dwarf

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Tournament Round 1 *DONE*

Postby K-OS Dwarf » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Nice battle report here, and there is another big 2 day tournament in Belgium, it's called BGO and will take place in Brugge on the 13 and 14 th of September, ill keep you up to date, hope to see ya there, and tnx for the nice battle mate, hope to read a great report ;-)
ETC TEAM BELGIUM FANTASY CAPTAIN 2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016
ETC TEAM BELGIUM FANTASY PLAYER 2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016
Reich ist das land, das Helden hat- doch arm das land, das helden braucht!

Razon

Postby Razon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:14 am

Great stuff! Also, nice to see you finally stopped inventing whole games in your reports and actually wrote of an event that really happened. :)
Table terrain seemed to work against your army, there were lots of it and it looked quite big. So It surely wasn't easy to maneuver your units around.
Game end was quite unexpected, it seemed very unlikely that without KB and CR from helms HE characters would break. Meaning HE would claim a win; but you managed to pull yet another trick out of your sleeve, good job!
Now, don't make us wait too long for the next report.
ETC Team Croatia Vampire Counts 2010 & 2014, Skaven 2011, Tomb Kings 2013. Captain for 2013, 2014, 2015.
Member of ETC FAQ.com 2011, AR.com 2012
ETC Team Serbia Orcs&Goblins 2017

Targ Ironfist

Postby Targ Ironfist » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi SmithF,

great game. Great dynamics. You made me read every turn with abated breath! :8)

Few queations, if I may:

- How many dice did you fail your wildform on? 2?

-TURN 2 - the high elgi player could not see the wild rider unit with his spears or simply choose not to charge?

With regards

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:31 pm

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies! (and for putting up with my crappy photography skills)

@ Targ Ironfist:

The wildform was failed on 3 dice, magic rolls were exceptionally low in this game. In general, I only try wildform on 2 dice when it's the last spell I'll be casting.

As for the spearelves, they could not see the Wild Riders and that's why they chose to charge the Glade Guard instead.

@ K-OS Dwarf:

Hey Alex! I'm glad you found these, thanks again for the great and very tactical game. Time permitting, I'll try to come to the Belgian Open this September. (watch this space for the battle report of our game, I can guarantee blatant lying and artistic license will be used to make me look good ;) )

@ Razon: hey, terrain was indeed a bit...three dimensional for my taste :) However, I got the hang of it by game two, stay tuned and you'll find out how it went! (Oh, and good to see you got the Battle Report bug once more, I'll be dropping by your thread soon!)

On a related note, game 2 report is in progress!

SmithF

Re: MSU in action! (2500 - pics) Tournament Round 2 *DONE*

Postby SmithF » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 pm

GAME 2 VS Dark Elves

The woodies were off to a good start, but for the second game they were pitted against their dark cousins, commanded by Yves, an experienced tournament player. His list was as follows:

LORDS:
Dreadlord on Dark Pegasus, Pendant of Khaeleth, stuff, Lance
Supreme Sorceress, lvl4 (Shadow), Sacrificial Dagger, Lifetaker

HEROES:
Master on Dark Pegasus, BSB, Ring of Hotek, Stuff, Lance
Sorceress, Lvl1 (Fire), Dispel Scroll, Guiding Eye
Death Hag with Cauldron of Blood

CORE:
20 Repeater Crossbows, Shields, Full Command
25 Warriors, Shields, Full Command
5 Dark Riders, Repeater Crossbows, Standard, Musician
5 Dark Riders, Repeater Crossbows, Standard, Musician

SPECIAL:
25 Witch Elves, Full Command, Manbane
5 Harpies

RARE:
Hydra
Hydra
Reaper Bolt Thrower

The second scenario was a variation of Table Quarters, where the goal was to control table sections (9 in total) by having more units in them than your opponent. Units with banners controlled table quarters easily, as they gave 3 “control points” as opposed to a single point for units without a banner. As a plus, the general and BSB also conferred control points, rendering the dark elf pegasus characters very dangerous.

The twist of the scenario was that the table sections in the opponent's deployment zone gave more victory points than the ones in the middle or in your own deployment zone. This would probably favor heavy maneuvering and aggressive play.

Deployment yet again allowed me to isolate the Dark Elf shooting battery, heavily weighing the left flank.

The plan was to try and shoot the witch elves down, feed small units to the hydras and hopefully kill one of them with my flaming riders. The pegasus heroes were a top priority and I was hoping that the presence of waywatchers would make them think twice before advancing towards my battleline.

Spells:
Beastweaver got Wildform, Feast of Crows, Amber Spear and Beast of Horros.
Supreme Sorceress got Miasma, Withering, Pendulum and Pit of Shades.
Fire Sorceress defaulted to the fireball.

The Dark Elves got the initiative, aided by the +1 for finishing the deployment first.

TURN 1 – Dark Elves

The scouts to the left were a tempting charge target for the dark elf BSB, but Yves decided not to charge this early on, given the proximity of Wardancers. He advaced en masse on the left flank, giving the cauldron ward save to the Witch Elves. The pegasus BSB moved up past the scouts to threaten my dryads and wardancers. To the right, the dark riders used the cover of the building to prevent any first turn wood elf charges.

Magic resulted in a miasma on one of the glade guard units, while my Beastweaver managed to dispel a fireball aimed at the right Wild Riders. The crossbows were out of range for first turn shooting, which left the bolt thrower (it killed 3 wild riders from the left unit) and the Supreme Sorceress' lifetaker (it killed two glade guard from the mage's retinue).

TURN 1 – Wood Elves

No first turn charges for the wood elves: The wild riders to the right used their 20” move to perform an outflanking maneuver and ended up behind the dark riders to the right.

The left flank advanced cautiously, tempting the pegasus BSB to charge into a trap and preparing to face the witch elves with dryads and treekin.

Magic saw me cast an Amber Spear on the left hydra, but I got the inevitable “1” on the roll to wound.
The waywatchers shot at close range vs the Dark Elf BSB, but didn't get the KB I was aiming for. Both glade guard units shot at the left Dark Riders and left a single survivor.

TURN 2 – Dark Elves

My opponent didn't fall for my dryad bait and we continued dancing around without engaging in close combat. The left Hydra moved up and flamed my Waywatchers to death, leaving a single survivor. The Crossbows and Lifetaker managed to panic the rightmost Glade Guard unit off board.

In the magic phase, the Supreme Sorceress managed to cast Pit of Shades on my Treekin with Irresistible Force. Two of them died instantly, and the dark elf wizard lost PoS and Withering to the Miscast.

The RBT yet again targetted the left Wild Riders, leaving just the banner and my Wild Rider Noble alive.

TURN 2 – Wood Elves

This turn a couple of very interesting charges were available to me: The Treekin fell upon the Hydra, who was too far away from the BSB and the army general. The right eagle spotted the crossbows' flank 15” away and declared a charge, hoping to open up the path for a dryad charge on the right dark riders. Alas, I got a total of “4” for my swiftstride charge and both units were left stranded.

The depleted wild riders on the left flank charged into the RBT hiding inside the building.
The eagle to the left stepped in front of the witch elves, ready to redirect them should they fail their frenzy roll.

In the magic phase I tried to boost the treekin with Wildform, but that drew my opponent's scroll. The Amber Spear was cast on the Pegasus BSB, but I got another “1” to wound him.

Shooting amounted for a single dead witch elf, the lone waywatcher failing again to score a KB on the nearby BSB. The lone dark rider continued to dodge the incoming arrows.

In combat, the Treekin managed to deal a grand total of 3 wounds on the Hydra, suffering 3 wounds back. The beast obligingly failed its ld7 test and fled, getting ran down by the single surviving tree spirit! The Wild Rider Noble made short work of the RBT before it could strike back.

TURN 3 – Dark Elves

The BSB charged into the glade guard behind the wardancer highborn's retinue, then -when these fled- successfully redirected into the Highborn himself. The Witch Elves passed their test not to charge the eagle, and reformed to face the victorious treekin. The Dreadlord advanced midfield.

The remaining Hydra moved up and used its breath weapon on the right wardancers, killing 5 of them and rendering them less of a threat for the crossbowmen. The latter failed their test to swift reform and had to turn and face the wild riders, instead of peppering them with arrows.
Finally, the harpies landed in front of the left dryads in an effort to prevent them from hitting the wood elf flank.

The magic phase saw the lvl1 Sorceress fail to cast a boosted fireball on the right Wild Riders.

The Wardancer Highborn faced the Pegasus BSB in a duel, and selected the killing blow dance. Striiking first thanks to his initiative 8, he got the “6” needed to instantly kill the Dark Elf hero!

TURN 3 – Wood Elves

The left dryads charged and ran down the harpies nearby in the only charge of the turn. The Wild rider survivor hid behind the house to conserve his banner and the same course of action was taken by the eagle to the right. The lone Treekin used the cauldron of blood to shield itself from a witch elf charge.
The middle dryads set up a trap for the Dreadlord, should he decide to charge. (Wardancer waiting to hit him in the flank.)

Magic was yet again ineffective, since I failed my first spell (Amber Spear) and the magic phase ended.

TURN 4 – Dark Elves

The Dreadlord decided not to charge into my trap, and returned to help eradicate the wild riders on the left flank. Witch elves once again swift reformed and moved towards the left dryads. The hydra turned to face my wardancer bunker.

Magic saw an irresistible casting of a fireball on the right Wild Riders, killing two of them.
The crossbowmen swiftly reformed and shot at the same wild riders, killing another two.

TURN 4 – Wood Elves

The dancing continued, since there was no targets worth engaging. Both Wild rider units hid behind the buildings, ready to spring forward in the last turn and capture the objectives.

The left dryads moved right in front of the Witch Elves, to stall them a bit better.

Magic was yet again shut down, but shooting managed to get the final dark rider from the left unit.

TURN 5 – Dark Elves

At this point the judge let us know we had 15 minutes to complete our game, meaning that it would be the last DE turn. The Witches charged into the dryads right in front of them and made a mess out of them. The Supreme Sorceress moved out of her unit and next to my treekin, then tried to cast the Pendulum on it. I used my dispel scroll, then the little Sorceress got a big Fireball (3d6) off into the middle dryads with irresistible force. It did not wipe them out, leaving a couple to claim the table section.

The Wardancer Highborn drank his potion of strength, which prevented the Hydra from charging his unit.

The shooting was focused on the two wardancers inside the right hand forest. A combination of poor rolling and a timely ward save meant that a single Wardancers survived and was ready to also contest a table section.

TURN 5 – Wood Elves

With this being my last turn, I did not bother charging anywhere and instead moved my units in order to contest or claim table sections. The end result looked like this:

With a total of Section points of 11 versus 3 for the Dark Elves, the Wood Elves had secured a major win and a 20-0 tournament point score.

AFTERMATH:
Against an army such as this one, I felt I needed to play like a wood elf if I were to win. Lots of dancing around was had, I managed to kill off most of the enemy support units and secure the table sections using what was left from my own units.

It felt a bit like stealing the game, since my units of 2 dryads or one waywatcher were still scoring units and allowed me to get a big victory margin without any real risks.

GAME 2 Highlights:

1. Two Treekin breaking and running down a Hydra on the charge, then dancing around the cauldron of blood and escaping the witch elves.
2. The Wardancer Highborn Killing Blowing the Pegasus BSB on the first round of combat.
3. Two amber spear attempts failing due to the dreaded “1” on the to-wound roll.

Game 3 coming soon: “A last hurrah!”
Last edited by SmithF on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

wardancer

Postby wardancer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:07 am

doing well so far, wonder how will the other battles go :) Always nice to see MSU armies doing well.

Ghostmaker007

Postby Ghostmaker007 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:34 am

Love the reprts mate. But did you use 2 dispel scrolls in that last game??

SmithF

Postby SmithF » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:02 am

Rectified, the scroll I saved until the very last moment, the fireballs were either being cast irresistibly or failed to cast. Only one scroll was used in the making of this report and no animals were harmed. :)

(Except for eagles)

Swordmaster

Postby Swordmaster » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:48 am

Hi Smith!

Great to see you coming out to the "real" world of real miniatures. The army looks very interesting (even if you were afraid to go to the tournament without level 4 :-P) and WE miniatures are simply fantastic. I am also amazed at the size of new eagles. In comparison the ones I use are more like sparrows :D

Scenarios look interesting but while I like the one which adds extra points for objectives I am not sure about familiars. I am very curious about this game.

You had a very good start and I hope other games were equally good in terms of the results.

In game 1 I was obviously looking at options for HE rather than for WE. I think you used terrain to your advantage very well and deployment was very good to minimize the casualties from shooting. In this game HE had some superiority in that area and you didn't let your opponent to use it against you. I think he was impatient (and I do know how it feels!) as he moved half of his army against majority of yours. He could have waited thus keeping formation tight and be able to put those bows to some use. Proximity of BSB and the general might have also prevented some of the panic tests.

Instead he allowed his army to be separated and ancient idea of divide and conquer had a nice application here.

In game 2 it was clear how scenario changes the way the game is played. Your opponent didn't have enough units to counter yours and with limited shooting capabilities (due to game course) he was not able to eliminate enough of your regiments either. You on the other hand didn't have to fight much and attacked only when it was advantageous. The charge of treekin against hydra was a very spectacular fight indeed.

In the end the fact you still could contest or control terrain with single models proved to be golden. Well done! =D>

Looking forward to reading about your next games. So far I have already seen enough to know I need to get back to the classroom and read again all your reports with particular attention to the deployment part. Still so much to learn! :)
Blog: Path of an Outcast

Follow me @SwordOfHoeth

Battle Log with shortcuts to Battle Reports: HE MSU
Article on HE MSU: HE MSU - Observations
Rate my Battle Reports at: Sigmar's Fantasy Battles

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?

Razon

Postby Razon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:06 am

Well, game two seemed like smooth sailing. Your opponents not sure what your army does, your units running all over the place and, while having bad luck (go 1's), you managing a big win.
I expect more of the same to follow in the next reports. :D
ETC Team Croatia Vampire Counts 2010 & 2014, Skaven 2011, Tomb Kings 2013. Captain for 2013, 2014, 2015.
Member of ETC FAQ.com 2011, AR.com 2012
ETC Team Serbia Orcs&Goblins 2017

frapermax

Postby frapermax » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:39 pm

Well played indeed. Getting the last turn in a scenario like this helps quite a bit, but you did well to keep your units alive against a very versatile DE army. That's not easy, when you have a mostly t3, max 5+ save army. Especially when you have an average of 7 models per unit :)
We want more...

cremosity

Postby cremosity » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Hey Smith, very happy to see these bat. reports mate, thank you very much for taking your time on everything; photos, diagrams and write up, my four thumbs up for you chap =D> .

Because of you and Swordmaster, I've become also a MSU fanatic, so you can imagine how much I enjoyed the 2 games, add you faced more elves... Perfect combination :8) .

Keep 'em coming m8, again, thanks for the effort!

Cheers,

Cremy.

Return to “Reports from the Battlefield”